Found Deceased UT - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the mattress/box spring "sale" (put in quotes because it was free) was the kind of situation where he put this stuff up on a site and arranged specifically for one person who "claimed" it to come by at a specific time and pick it up? Or it was a curb alert situation? Basically he would put it on the curb and say "Hey there is a free mattress on the curb for whoever gets it first" (I have done this before but not with a mattress), so there is not really a way to track who ended up with it? It could have even been a random person driving by who just saw it and took it?

I was wondering this as well. People in my neighborhood frequently do “curb alerts” and it’s pretty shocking how quickly things are taken. There’s no way of knowing who took it in that scenario.

Jmo.

Watching presser.

No arrests made.

Homeowner IS a person of interest.

Discussing mattress. Looking for people to come forward who took the mattress.

I hope that law enforcement releases this on other platforms of social media than the normal ones we usually research.

I remember during a couple of cases, (e.g. Bashara case) we had some members with the alt lifestyle post things from mainstream they were extremely helpful on the threads, and put it on Periscope and other social media that might be followed for others to see.

And, For somebody who needs a used mattress for free ( which never, without judgment to others, in my life I would consider).. I hope this message from law enforcement reaches the person that picked it up. Someone who picks up a used mattress may not be someone who is Savvy and is on the internet often or who follows mainstream Media news reports?

Some have mentioned they never heard of AirB&B. It's all new to a lot of us. Couch Surfing hit a new low for me. Now that's really scary and stranger danger for sure but more and more young people are jumping right in. Yipes!
I've never stayed at an Airport Bn B, but I've stayed at various ones on vacation. I imagine the difference is that people stay there as they are just passing through for a day, or maybe longer if they are visiting the area.
However I've never seen one that looked anything like that.
I would imagine the owner is less interested in being a host and providing a pleasant stay for people than just doing it for some extra money. Imo

I apologize if mentioned up or down thread.
This thread is moving so fast.. hard to keep up.

Can someone please give me a quick synopsis of the fire being talked about?
Thank you :)

Bailee
MOO
I've had to skim to catch up so forgive me if this has already been answered. :) This article has comments from the neighbors about the fire. However, there have been reports from other neighbors who did not see or smell anything.

Mackenzie Lueck disappearance: Police spotted digging holes at Utah home after neighbors report recent fire, ‘strong stench’
Police combing a Salt Lake City home for clues on the whereabouts of missing University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck were spotted digging holes into its backyard early this morning following claims from neighbors that its owner recently was burning something that let off a “strong stench.”

[...]

Neighbors who spoke to the newspaper say they recently saw the homeowner burning something in his backyard and smoke from the fire was traveling into their windows.

[...]

“It definitely assaulted your nose,” Joseph Peterson, who lives one block west of the home, told the Salt Lake Tribune, describing how he got home one night from work only to smell a “strong stench” in the air.

[...]

Does anyone know if the mattress/box spring "sale" (put in quotes because it was free) was the kind of situation where he put this stuff up on a site and arranged specifically for one person who "claimed" it to come by at a specific time and pick it up? Or it was a curb alert situation? Basically he would put it on the curb and say "Hey there is a free mattress on the curb for whoever gets it first" (I have done this before but not with a mattress), so there is not really a way to track who ended up with it? It could have even been a random person driving by who just saw it and took it?

The box spring and mattress were listed separately on two different classified sites. From what I could ascertain, you had to contact the owner directly to get the address for the items. On Letgo and FB marketplace you have to message and the area map is just a vague one based on zip code.

What we don't know is whether he managed to gift both items to a single individual (whomever answered one advert first) or two.

I'm wondering if its possible that the mattress and box springs didn't end up actually being picked up by someone other than through one of those sites.

LE seems to need somebody to come forward and if they had any digital information of a transaction being arranged through any of those sites /apps I would think LE would probably already know who has them and not be relying on the public for that information.

JMO
I agree. I am sure they are canvassing the neighborhood for cameras and seeking the data already.

I reviewed some photos of the house, and drove by it this morning. There is a Vivint security sign in the yard.

Why is this important? I'll explain.

I also have Vivint - both security monitoring and home automation. The great thing about automation is that there is a log in the account for entries, exits, alarms, smoke alarms, etc. For example on my set up, I've named each entry point based off its location, and so when an entry or exit happens, it is logged with that name. I also have a doorbell camera that picks up sound and allows for two-way communication. Assuming this homeowner also has a similar setup, and IMO I would expect someone with their supposed education and AirBnB setup to have it - Vivint will have a log of timestamps, even if there was an attempted deletion on the homeowner's end. I imagine this would be a warrant the SLCPD would pursue to corroborate a theory or exonerate a suspect.

Digital footprints are extremely hard to hide - it takes skill and knowledge. IMO, ML was not attempting to hide her tracks, and her information is what will or has lead LE to this point.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that he was extremely tech savvy based on a job he has/had.

We had a case in my area not long ago. Perp burned the victim in a burn barrel in the back yard. Sorry, I think if you just go look at the missing persons sites and read some of the circumstances that people have gone missing under, this is actually becoming an outlet for predators. There is zero reason not to say be careful out there. And better if it is said before the fact, IMO.

I hope you can appreciate that websleuths IS a missing person's site. I've been on here since at least 2005. And true crime research has been a hobby of mine since 1984.

Ashley Tucker was murdered by a 42 year old she encountered at a party they each attended. She knew the guy previously. He was an acquaintance. He was also a registered sex offender.

There is no evidence Ashley Tucker was dating him, to my knowledge, nor that she was part of a SD/SB lifestyle.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch....ker-murder-joliet-police-proud-detective-work

Like many victims, she knew the perp and crossed paths with him.

I like facts.

I've had to skim to catch up so forgive me if this has already been answered. :) This article has comments from the neighbors about the fire. However, there have been reports from other neighbors who did not see or smell anything.

Mackenzie Lueck disappearance: Police spotted digging holes at Utah home after neighbors report recent fire, ‘strong stench’
Police combing a Salt Lake City home for clues on the whereabouts of missing University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck were spotted digging holes into its backyard early this morning following claims from neighbors that its owner recently was burning something that let off a “strong stench.”

[...]

Neighbors who spoke to the newspaper say they recently saw the homeowner burning something in his backyard and smoke from the fire was traveling into their windows.

[...]

“It definitely assaulted your nose,” Joseph Peterson, who lives one block west of the home, told the Salt Lake Tribune, describing how he got home one night from work only to smell a “strong stench” in the air.

[...]

Thank you @PommyMommy

Douglas Garland murdered 3 people in Calgary, Alberta. Initially he was brought in as a POI but he was released; but with conditions.

He was not allowed to go back to the farm.

LE were quite sure he was responsible but were putting their case together. He was under major surveillance. Sure enough, in the middle of the night, he went back to the farm. He was caught and thrown back in jail. He broke the condition.

They went on to build their case and he will never see the light of day again.

I think they had to let him go. They're building their case. He's in their sights. I have confidence this will resolve shortly.

MOO

I find it odd that if they had a relationship she would have been dropped off at the park.
Yea this is what is confusing me. I get it that he lived basically right there in that area before, so it is known to him and he perhaps even knew that the cameras in the area were dummy cameras? It's just so weird.

Also, did somebody say her IG started following somebody new yesterday?!

I'm wondering if its possible that the mattress and box springs didn't end up actually being picked up by someone other than through one of those sites.

LE seems to need somebody to come forward and if they had any digital information of a transaction being arranged through any of those sites /apps I would think LE would probably already know who has them and not be relying on the public for that information.

JMO

I completely agree with you. Makes more sense that it was left curbside and someone just stopped and took it. That jives with the police needing to know who took it, as if it was pre-arranged via the app then there should be some sort of digital trail. Hopefully there's some CCTVs in that neighborhood that can answer that. You'd see someone with a mattress on top of their car (unless it was put in the bed of a truck).

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that he was extremely tech savvy based on a job he has/had.
I agree, but I'm being cautious since LE didn't name him. I pulled the property record myself last night when the breaking news came on, so I've already done my sleuthing. But, I don't want to violate a TOS, either!

But, based off the alleged background of the POI, I am going to go with very tech savvy, but, not enough to cover tracks, which is why LE is to this point.

Years ago in my old hometown there was a non-profit thrift store that accepted donated furniture/items for resell and many items was often dumped there after hours. There was always mattress dropped off and of course by law they couldn't resell used ones. But you could often see people loading them up when they were set out by the thrift store's dumpster. A used mattress would be like taking a pair of used boxers or toothbrush. But there are people that aren't fazed in the least bit.

Do we know if she did any modeling? This is relevant to what I was mentioning yesterday about the accounts her Sinsta follows, and now I'm thinking more relevant to her disappearance. :(
RSBM

If she did any modeling (and I wouldn’t be surprised to find that she did) I suspect it was very casual. Instagram is a key marketing tool for models and I saw nothing to suggest she was trying to build that kind of revenue stream. It’s very hard work and much more time consuming than you might think. I searched Mayhem early on and one profile did make me pause. So I did some image overlays and decided they are probably not the same person. Plus the alias was not in keeping with ML’s other known SM aliases.

I hope the people who took it come forward.

Two thoughts that may be helpful or not...I’ve given away things on Freecycle including, once several years ago, a twin mattress that was old but rarely ever used. I hesitated offering it as I doubted anyone would want a used mattress but I thought I’d try in case someone was desperate or wanted one for animal rescues. I got so many sad, begging emails from people saying they or someone they knew had kids sleeping on the bare floor that it astounded me—and made me incredibly sad. I still am so sad to think of it. I picked the saddest story and when the woman came and was so grateful, I learned a valuable lesson about what others may be grateful to take. It broke my kids’ hearts, too, and they wanted to give away their mattresses and sleep on the floor, which was sweet. I directed the others to places I thought might help but I wish I’d had more to give. :(

Regarding burning mattresses and box springs, where I live in the country, it’s done all the time. It’s even easy as the mattresses burn fairly quickly and picking any remaining collapsed coils out afterward is not a big deal. It makes a large fire at first but not for long. Same with sofas, although they are very, very scary IMO and make huge, fast, scary flames, maybe due to chemical fabric protectors, cleaning solutions left from when people cleaned the sofas, or the foam or stuffing.

While I’ve never known anyone to try to burn materials like luggage, I can see how that might take several attempts and take longer. I’ll also say that I’ve never known the farmers to burn carcasses although no laws would stop them here. They get a backhoe and bury them, which makes me think it’s not easy to burn a formerly living thing in a bonfire kind of fire. A tire recycling place in another city burned for days.

Some have mentioned they never heard of AirB&B. It's all new to a lot of us. Couch Surfing hit a new low for me. Now that's really scary and stranger danger for sure but more and more young people are jumping right in. Yipes!
I was thinking about this last night. This case has A LOT of app/social media usage. The SB/SD site, the usual IG/FB/Twitter, Air BNB, LetGo, FB Marketplace....this is a good place to start if you want to discuss online dangers with friends or your kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73