ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they saw someone that wasn’t Serenity it could have been a staff member looking for Serenity. Not suggesting that’s the case, just pointing out a possibility (that has probably been ruled out).
I think the staff would have known that. I also doubt that a staff member would have been mistaken for a little girl. I also think it was reported that there were no staff outside looking for her until AFTER the person reported seeing a girl outside. It was that report that prompted staff to start searching outside, IIRC.

But isn't that what happened with the woodcutters? They saw someone but it turned out to be staff, not Serenity?

I'm not really saying she's still in the Home and never left, but it has crossed my mind, only because it is so strange to me.

But isn't that what happened with the woodcutters? They saw someone but it turned out to be staff, not Serenity?

I'm not really saying she's still in the Home and never left, but it has crossed my mind, only because it is so strange to me.

There's a difference, though. The couple cutting wood NEVER said they saw Serenity or any little girl. When they talked to them, they verified that it was staff they saw, not a little girl.

Thank you, @SkipperKey3 for your dedication to this thread and helping us keep all the facts straight.
To do it right, I would cite everything with a reference, rather than going by memory. But there really aren't that many tangible "facts" with this case. I just want to dispel the idea that they "should have found her by now", because it just isn't that easy, and they have no ide where she may have gone. One can wander quite a long way, even in a state of delirium. I thought from the beginning that she was quite close, but well hidden, but now I think she may well have gotten further than we think.

To do it right, I would cite everything with a reference, rather than going by memory. But there really aren't that many tangible "facts" with this case. I just want to dispel the idea that they "should have found her by now", because it just isn't that easy, and they have no ide where she may have gone. One can wander quite a long way, even in a state of delirium. I thought from the beginning that she was quite close, but well hidden, but now I think she may well have gotten further than we think.
Maybe you can help clear this up for me as you maybe able to cite a source. Where has it been reported that when the couple in the parking lot saw her on the road, one went in to report it while the other person stayed in the car? I've looked for that information but can't find a source. The only thing I found was this:
The people in the parking lot tell investigators that Serenity crossed the cattle guard and headed north on South Rockerville Road.

After telling staff she was missing, they left the facility.
New details emerge in search for Serenity Dennard - KNBN NewsCenter1

That makes it sound like they both went in but I know the discussion here has been that one person went in and one person stayed in the car.

TIA

Maybe you can help clear this up for me as you maybe able to cite a source. Where has it been reported that when the couple in the parking lot saw her on the road, one went in to report it while the other person stayed in the car? I've looked for that information but can't find a source. The only thing I found was this:
The people in the parking lot tell investigators that Serenity crossed the cattle guard and headed north on South Rockerville Road.

That makes it sound like they both went in but I know the discussion here has been that one person went in and one person stayed in the car.

TIA
I can’t pull up a particular source for you without digging thru the historical documents of the case. However, I remember it being reported multiple times from the media. One person went inside to notify staff and the other person waited in the car. That detail hasn’t changed from the beginning. If I had to guess, its probably stated in one of the press conferences too.

TIA
FEB 9, 2019
Weather on day girl went missing significantly hurt search efforts
...However, a woman dropping a family member off at the facility did see Dennard at a nearby cattle gate around 11 a.m.

He said the woman saw Dennard after dropping the relative off and was backing up her car, which had another passenger inside. The woman got out of her car and went inside to tell the staff that there was a girl outside. Meanwhile, the other person inside the car saw Dennard walk north up the road. By the time the woman returned to her car, Dennard was gone, and she couldn't find her as she drove up and down the road.

Last edited:
FEB 9, 2019
Weather on day girl went missing significantly hurt search efforts
...However, a woman dropping a family member off at the facility did see Dennard at a nearby cattle gate around 11 a.m.

He said the woman saw Dennard after dropping the relative off and was backing up her car, which had another passenger inside. The woman got out of her car and went inside to tell the staff that there was a girl outside. Meanwhile, the other person inside the car saw Dennard walk north up the road. By the time the woman returned to her car, Dennard was gone, and she couldn't find her as she drove up and down the road.
I still think Serenity was meeting someone to pick her up, how would she disappear so fast ??...

This is a pic of a recent search posted pages back. Now the terrain is green and lush, whereas before covered under many feet of snow.

What people think would easily stand out, does not, especially after time passes and seasons. This is a very difficult search.

SERENITY+SEARCH+STILL.jpg

There's a difference, though. The couple cutting wood NEVER said they saw Serenity or any little girl. When they talked to them, they verified that it was staff they saw, not a little girl.

OK, thank you! I must have misunderstood that piece.

So, to summarize, there is only one individual who saw her outside of the Home?

There has been confusion, but there has also been speculation that has taking on a life of its own this far out, and grown into "fact", which was never the case. It was said she "could" have left the road by going up the hill / into the woods, but never that she "did". As for her being seen, no staffer ever saw her outside, only the person in car in the parking lot. I am not aware of any MSM or official statement that states that a staffer actually saw her, although I can see how in the early reports it could have been easy to confuse the people in the car with a staffer. And the idea of "up the hill" might have been misconstrued there as well. The person in the car saw her heading north on the main road, which does run slightly uphill at that point. I think her being seen "going north", walking "along the road" and "going uphill" may all have been a reference to the same thing, simply that she was headed north on S. Rockerville Rd. when last seen.

There basically are no facts. There also is not a single scenario that is backed up by much if anything and even LE have said they have closed nothing out.

Confusion and incorrect media, etc. seems to happen in every case, I sure have learned that. Stating an incorrect time for a 911 call, however, and nonworking cameras is a bit more unusual, if the cameras even exist--that has been debated as well. Confusion also reigned for some time as an article above states months after the fact.

The home was cited and we were told publicly of some of the findings. That happens to be a fact.

We all want the same, and that is Serenity found.

I get your points and do not disagree, they also provide me not one reason to settle on the idea that she ran into the woods as a fact.

Jmo.

I'm starting to wonder that as well. I wonder if Person (2) in the car actually saw her or someone else. Is Person (2) the only person who claims to have seen her outside of the Home (besides the woodcutters who have been discounted)?

I suppose there are witnesses inside the Home who saw her run outside...or are there? I'd have to go back and read the articles to see who says they saw her run outside.

It's vexing and very strange, and I too am growing suspicious.

There was much confusion there too. At first we thought she ran from the home itself. Then we came to find out it was the gymnasium, a separate building and she ran outside. Then later we hear no one actually saw her head outside. It was terrible, the confusion.

The two in the car (or three? two adults and a child?) also were not in the story as early as the woodcutters but they appeared at some point later in media after the initial reports and I think the media may have confused the couple in the car with the couple cutting wood when that came out as no one had ever been told of anyone else seeing her, and that added more confusion.

Jmo.

There basically are no facts. There also is not a single scenario that is backed up by much if anything and even LE have said they have closed nothing out.

Confusion and incorrect media, etc. seems to happen in every case, I sure have learned that. Stating an incorrect time for a 911 call, however, and nonworking cameras is a bit more unusual, if the cameras even exist--that has been debated as well. Confusion also reigned for some time as an article above states months after the fact.

The home was cited and we were told publicly of some of the findings. That happens to be a fact.

We all want the same, and that is Serenity found.

I get your points and do not disagree, they also provide me not one reason to settle on the idea that she ran into the woods as a fact.

Jmo.
What we DO know is that she was outside, walking away form the Home. We also know the weather conditions, the seclusion of the Home, and we have the account of the parents, at least one of which saw her, that when they drove up and down the road, she had disappeared. This supports the idea that she headed off the main road. The failed searches (up until now) doesn't change the fact that this still remains the most likely scenario.
If she didn't walk away from the Home and off the main road on her own, then that leaves a very limited set of options - (1) she was picked up willingly, (2) she was picked up unwillingly, (3) she hid in a car that later drove off, not knowing she was there, (4) she hid in something that was later emptied or taken away, such as a trash bin, or (5) she is still on the Home property. (1) seems unlikely - LE checked out everybody she knew, and I'm betting they checked out all staff as well. The "snatched" theory (2) is possible, but given it was early Sunday, a storm was moving in, and the road was only lightly travelled during the best of weather, it greatly reduces the possibility. I doubt (3) is the case, as she would have turned up by now. And (4) seems equally unlikely, as it was Sunday, and everything of that sort would have been searched that evening. Likewise, (5) seems more unlikely as well, as more time goes by. I just can't see any one of those 5 as really a likely alternative, although I understand why LE doesn't rule anything out.
Yes, there is a lot of confusion. But where there is enough reason to believe she headed off on her own, there is nothing at all at this point to suggest anything else happened. Nothing can be ruled out, of course. LE wouldn't be doing due diligence if they ruled anything out.
So I guess, while you say there is not one reason to settle on the idea that she ran into the woods as a fact, I would go the opposite way. What we do know highly suggests that, and there is not one reason to settle on the idea that she did NOT run into the woods. She is (was) a runner and a hider. She was an active girl.

I said that before- Hippie Hole. A lot of kids love water. Serenity would be no different. She may have remembered it from a day she went hiking there with either family when they visited or perhaps the home had scheduled fun days and had an outing there.

I don't think she's there, but that is where I would have looked myself.
Yeah, I would have looked there as well. There is a small stream the runs right by the building - there is a small bridge over it between the main building and the outbuildings on the property. If you follow it south it connects to Battle Creek - which goes over the falls into Hippie Hole. Kids and water, follow the water.

This has probably already been discussed multiple times so I apologize for asking, but there are so many threads for sweet Serenity that it would take me forever to find the answer to my questions.

I was just wondering, if the family who saw Serenity had to go back inside to notify staff that Serenity was out there was staff already aware she was missing and searching for her? My other question is how much interaction the people had with staff while dropping off their loved one? The reason I ask is because Serenity would obviously have already taken off at that point or during the time they were there and, I wondered if staff were frantic or how they were acting. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708