GA - Forsyth Co, Newborn Girl FOUND ALIVE in Plastic Bag, Baby India, Jun 2019 *birth mom arrested 2023*

Video shows rescue of baby from plastic bag in Georgia woods

CUMMING, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia sheriff released dramatic body-cam video Tuesday showing the rescue of a newborn girl who was found alive inside a plastic bag in the woods.

The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office made the video public in hopes that it will generate credible tips in the case.

NOTE: THE FOOTAGE HERE IS GRAPHIC AND VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

5d137ab5ccb85.image.jpg

I live just down the road from here. It's one of the wealthiest counties in the country. And while the baby was placed in an isolated stretch of road/woods it is NOT an isolated area. We're talking right next to one of the biggest wealthiest neighborhoods. The houses are over 400k to 700k.

Instead of being placed in a yard or doorstep baby was placed in a plastic bag deep in the nearest section of woods where the sheriff said she'd likely never have been found if the family hadn't heard her. My guess is a panicked teen hiding a pregnancy who didn't have a license or means to get baby anywhere else quickly and just wanted baby gone before being caught. But at the same time it was clearly done with the intent for baby to not be found. Scared teen or not she left the baby to die. There was not even a towel around the infant. It had been raining all day and thunderstorms all day and it was about to get even worse out there when baby was found.

I have a friend from this area as well who suggested someone involved in sex trafficking. But that really makes no sense to me. If someone was being trafficked I'd assume those over them would have worked out an abortion ahead of time. Or would have more carefully disposed of a baby once born so it would not be found at all. But a sex trafficked victim who could give birth and leave the home long enough to dump a baby in the woods without being watched or caught? I don't know....
No-I’m with you with the scared teen. I still just have no words. What a miracle that they found her!

More than 1,000 people want to adopt ‘Baby India,' newborn found wrapped in plastic bag in woods
Jun 27 2019
FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. - More than 1,000 people have offered to adopt a newborn girl who was found wrapped in a plastic bag in a wooded area in Georgia."

"Authorities are still hoping to find her mother."

"The sheriff’s office also posted a reminder that anyone can safely drop off a baby at a safe haven location. Mothers who believe they cannot properly care for their child or may be in a dangerous situation have 30 days to leave a newborn in the hands of someone at a fire station, police department or hospital."

More than 1,000 people want to adopt ‘Baby India,' newborn found wrapped in plastic bag in woods
Jun 27 2019
FORSYTH COUNTY, Ga. - More than 1,000 people have offered to adopt a newborn girl who was found wrapped in a plastic bag in a wooded area in Georgia."

"Authorities are still hoping to find her mother."

"The sheriff’s office also posted a reminder that anyone can safely drop off a baby at a safe haven location. Mothers who believe they cannot properly care for their child or may be in a dangerous situation have 30 days to leave a newborn in the hands of someone at a fire station, police department or hospital."
I have been thinking a lot about this. I think we will find that many times the safe haven law will not help. We have heard of other teens doing this. Throwing away babies. I can never for the life of me, having two babies myself, how a parent does not know their child is pregnant. I think maybe some parents are not involved? Anyways, my thoughts are that if they can’t drive...what’s the safe haven option? Especially if they are not resourceful and terrified of their parents. Just food for thought. More rambling. IMO. I hate that this happens.

I have been thinking a lot about this. I think we will find that many times the safe haven law will not help. We have heard of other teens doing this. Throwing away babies. I can never for the life of me, having two babies myself, how a parent does not know their child is pregnant. I think maybe some parents are not involved? Anyways, my thoughts are that if they can’t drive...what’s the safe haven option? Especially if they are not resourceful and terrified of their parents. Just food for thought. More rambling. IMO. I hate that this happens.
Sometimes very young and petite pregnant females barely "show" at all, while overweight, big girls might just look the same as always, just heavier, moo.
You are quite right about the trouble to get to a safe place especially if you live in a rural area and do not/cannot drive.

The darker (and hopefully unlikely) side of things might be that it was not the mother's choice to leave the baby there.......
Hope the mother is okay, for all we know she may be all alone or in an abusive situation and in very rough shape.
speculation, imo.

CUMMING, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia sheriff released dramatic body-cam video Tuesday showing the rescue of a newborn girl who was found alive inside a plastic bag in the woods.

The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office made the video public in hopes that it will generate credible tips in the case.

NOTE: THE FOOTAGE HERE IS GRAPHIC AND VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED.

I watched this video several times and cried.

Then I did what we always do here on WS and I started looking at the video frame by frame for any clues.
A few things I noticed:
It appears that the man who found the baby did not open the bag. A few screen shots:
upload_2019-6-29_0-59-59.png
upload_2019-6-29_1-26-6.png
upload_2019-6-29_1-25-15.png
He can be seen holding the bag closed? Or is he holding it up in the air so that baby doesn't suffocate from the plastic? I'm not sure why, but I found this to be a strange reaction. When another baby was found recently in a ravine in NC the good Samaritans who found her brought her up out of the ravine and held her and comforted her until EMT's arrived. I especially think that a 911 operator would have given tips on how to check the baby's vital signs and keep her warm. But the baby was left in the bag on the ground. He had apparently moved the bag from the exact location "in the woods" where he first found her but didn't remove the bag from the baby nor hold the baby in his arms to keep her off the cold ground? I don't want to be hard on him-- maybe he was in shock and didn't know what to do. Bless him for calling 911! These are just things I noticed. Perhaps upon seeing the blood from birth he thought she was injured and wanted to keep any blood in the bag? Or maybe he wanted to preserve evidence as much as possible? IDK.

Can anyone identify the logo on the yellow bag?

Lastly I noted the umbilical cord:
upload_2019-6-29_1-33-16.png

Can anyone tell if it was clamped/tied off or is it still attached to the placenta? I think it might still be attached, which means no hospital care. :( MOO.

Baby Found in Plastic Bag is 'Thriving' in a Foster Home as Thousands Line Up to Adopt Her
“Baby India,” the newborn found wrapped in a plastic bag in a wooded area in Georgia, is “thriving” in a foster home as people line up to adopt her.

The baby girl was discovered in a wooded area on June 6. She was found crying and covered in blood with her umbilical cord still attached. The video of her rescue has gone viral.

According to Tom Rawlings, the director of the state Division of Family and Children Services, India is doing well in foster care. “She’s in a wonderful protective home right now,” Rawlings tells CNN. “She’s gaining weight and smiling a lot. She’s an easy baby who loves to be held and sung to, and she’s overall thriving now.”

While India’s future is unclear, thousands of people from around the world have come forward offering to adopt Baby India.

“It’s amazing the number of people who are looking to take on a new life into their families,” Forsyth County Sheriff Ron Freeman told The Today Show, “and we got somebody who tried to throw one away.”
"Anyone with information regarding her mother, her birth or family is urged to call the sheriff’s office at 770-781-3087."

I know a teen this happened to. No one in her life guessed she was pregnant. Her parents were actually very involved parents. She was regularly at community and church events. I remember asking someone who saw her all the time and she said she just thought she'd put on weight. The teen was in total denial herself. Her parents took her to the ER due to stomach pain and discovered she was pregnant and in labor. The teen would not acknowledge the pregnancy or the baby to her parents even then. Not till her pastor talked to her and told her that it was alright and that her family was not upset with her etc. She ended up staying home and her parents helped her raise her daughter.

I still can't picture it though. My teens are skinny. And when I get pregnant I get a huge belly. I just can't actually imagine how it could be hidden. I just know that no one around this teen regularly actually thought she was pregnant. And I know her parents were not neglectful or ignoring her. Maybe everyone was just trying to be sensitive over her getting "fat"?

I agree with you about the safe haven laws. It's part of why I assume it was a teen. I just assume it was someone who had no way to get anywhere without assistance.

Oh my goodness. Well I have just cried at that video. The moment when she grips the finger of the person rescuing her.

6th of June is my birthday and looks like hers too. Good luck little one. I don't know what to say, that footage is utterly heartbreaking

Does Georgia have “safe” drop off points for newborns? Here in Indiana newborn babies can be surrendered at certain places, like fire stations, with no questions asked and no threat of investigation.

Does Georgia have “safe” drop off points for newborns? Here in Indiana newborn babies can be surrendered at certain places, like fire stations, with no questions asked and no threat of investigation.

From the linked Sheriff's Office page:

FCSO would also like to remind the public that the State of Georgia has a law called Safe Haven (HB 391). This law allows a child's mother to leave her baby, up to 30 days old, with an employee of any medical facility including any hospital, institutional infirmary, health center or birthing center in Georgia without prosecution. This includes Hospitals, Fire Stations and Police Stations.

Wonder if the Mom knew one of the daughters, even just knows of her?

June 28:

While I'm glad the little girl -- surely sitting up now, probably 'swimming' on the floor & getting into things -- has some privacy.

Dare we hope she's in her forever family already???

The mother has been arrested.

She was 36 at the time and "knew she was pregnant at the time and had a history of concealed pregnancies and "surprise" births."

There was a press conference an hour ago but I didn't catch her name.
The video of when this baby was found is heartbreaking, she's so strong and healthy and screaming out for help =***(
I have a feeling (imo jmo) this was not the first time this woman tried (or succeeded) to murder a baby. 36yo!

I think Othram worked on this, the presser is on their FB page (DNASolves)

'Baby India' Georgia: Arrest made in 2019 case involving newborn found in plastic bag

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 21.04.33.png

Georgia officials said Karima Jiwani, 40, the child's biological mother was arrested in connection with the incident.
[snip]

Jiwani is charged with criminal intent to commit murder, cruelty to children in the first degree, aggravated assault and reckless abandonment -- among other charges.

Evidence shows the child was likely born in a motor vehicle, and then driven a distance, officials said.
'Baby India' Georgia: Arrest made in 2019 case involving newborn found in plastic bag

Other than her arrest, Jiwani, 40, has no known criminal record. According to Forsyth County Sheriff Ron Freeman, Jiwani has a history of either unknown or concealing previous pregnancies, but there is no evidence she’s tried to kill other newborns.
Sheriff: Karima Jiwani, Baby India’s mom, has concealed pregnancies before

1684528842853.png
''Almost exactly four years after an hours-old infant, later nicknamed Baby India, was found in a wooded area of south Forsyth County, the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office has announced the arrest of the child’s birth mother and other details at a news conference.

At a press conference on Friday, May 19, Sheriff Ron Freeman and other officials announced the child’s birth mother, Karima Jiwani, 40, of southeast Forsyth County, was arrested in the case and charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, cruelty to children in the first degree, aggravated assault and reckless abandonment.''

The mother has been arrested.

She was 36 at the time and "knew she was pregnant at the time and had a history of concealed pregnancies and "surprise" births."

There was a press conference an hour ago but I didn't catch her name.
The video of when this baby was found is heartbreaking, she's so strong and healthy and screaming out for help =***(
I have a feeling (imo jmo) this was not the first time this woman tried (or succeeded) to murder a baby. 36yo!

I think Othram worked on this, the presser is on their FB page (DNASolves)

View attachment 423376
Apologies! We were behind due to a second case being announced the same day. Here is our case page:

I just saw she was arrested by the same deputy (Terry Roper) who helped rescue the baby.
Must have felt good!
From 2019:

""When we were able to pick her up, wrap her up, get her a little warm, I was able to talk to her a little bit," Forsyth Sheriff's Deputy Terry Roper, who was the first to the scene, told "Good Morning America" on Wednesday.
"I wanted to give her comfort," he said. "A little bit later I realized it was the first time she had felt love, and I felt honored to be able to give her that.""

'I wanted to give her comfort': Deputy recounts rescuing newborn left in plastic bag

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back