Identified! CA - San Mateo Co, WhtMale 773UMCA, 19-25, female clothing, Nov'83 *name withheld*

Trying to copy the rule-out list from NamUs. Sorry about the formatting.
26 Missing Person Exclusions

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP10528
Male, White / Caucasian
Date Found Location Found
November 26, 1983 Half Moon Bay/Princeton Harbor, California

Missing Person / NamUs #MP37753
David Schwarzschild
Date of Last Contact State County
August 02, 1979 CA San Francisco

Missing Person / NamUs #MP7069
Norman CREECH
November 25, 1983 CA Sacramento

Missing Person / NamUs #MP7624
Gerald Bradshaw
April 06, 1982 VA Virgini a
Beach

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1753
John Butler
August 21, 1961 CA Orang e

Missing Person / NamUs #MP16982
Donald Gregory
February 01, 1983 CA Riverside

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4544
Daniel Naylor
October 05, 1982 CA Alame da

Missing Person / NamUs #MP717
Stewart Simmons
June 19, 1982 CA San Diego

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1275
Jeffrey Lowery
Date of Last Contact
November 12, 1981
State County
CA San Luis
Obisp o

Missing Person / NamUs #MP17747
Stephan Dunaetz
September 23, 1981 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5807
Michael Askren
August 06, 1981 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4548
Ronald Cole
May 01, 1965 CA Ventu ra

Missing Person / NamUs #MP17748
John Higham
June 24, 1980 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP12439
Jorgen Andersen
February 17, 1980 CA Marin

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1437
William Prescott
February 05, 1980 CA San Mateo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP17575
Ronald Kruska
October 10, 1978 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP9319
ANDREW EWING
December 08, 1976 CA Shast a

Missing Person / NamUs #MP17757
Gregory Hinz
November 15, 1976 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP17622
Daniel Hoffer
May 28, 1975 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1752
Christopher King
August 02, 1974 CA San Berna
rdino

Missing Person / NamUs #MP14283
Pete Campbell
January 16, 1973 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5895
Michael Burnett
March 17, 1971 CA Butte

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4637
Roger Madison
December 16, 1968 CA Los Angel
es

Missing Person / NamUs #MP8722
Calvin Anderson
June 17, 1974 MI Iron

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4614
Derran Rogers
February 27, 1973 CA Stanis laus

Missing Person / NamUs #MP5667
Dale KELLEY
May 20, 1981 CA Sacra ment
o

Missing Person / NamUs #MP4662
Michael Causley
May 11, 1979

An interesting detail to add: this Doe was found wearing a cross. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do not wear or display crosses. So while it is of course speculation, it could be that their immediate family were not church members, but descended from some original members. Cross

An interesting detail to add: this Doe was found wearing a cross. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do not wear or display crosses. So while it is of course speculation, it could be that their immediate family were not church members, but descended from some original members. Cross
As someone upthread pointed out, in the early 1980's, crosses were a fashion staple, a' la' Madonna. I think this Doe might have been incorporating "Madonna" in to their look perhaps.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Interesting. Doe and I might have a common ancestor then, as I descend from Mormon pioneers who moved to Utah and had a lot of children. It's just that I'm descended from their children who stayed in England. My GEDmatch won't help though, since that's all on my dad's side and I'm not biologically related to him.

I wonder if Doe's family were still Mormon or not. Many families in the 80s wouldn't have accepted a gender nonconforming child, but I imagine the conservative religious families would've been even more likely to cast someone out.

My recollection from when I went to college in Utah in the early 70's is that there were a lot of Mormons living in the San Mateo area. My roommate was one of them. Yeah, gender nonconforming in any way was...not just unacceptable, almost unimaginable.

Given the recent info about the UID likely being LDS, I think we can rule out Martin Miller.

Many of the original LDS pioneers came from New York and New England and they left behind family members who did not follow the new religion. Brigham Young and Joseph Smith were both born in Vermont, for instance. So I don't think we can rule out anybody yet.

Many of the original LDS pioneers came from New York and New England and they left behind family members who did not follow the new religion. Brigham Young and Joseph Smith were both born in Vermont, for instance. So I don't think we can rule out anybody yet.
I meant he could be ruled out because he appears to be ethnically Jewish, not because he's from the east coast

Is it me, or does this new NamUs entry, Mark Lawrence Ashland, bear a striking resemblance to Pillar Point Doe? What do you think?

Original

Original

Original

Original

Mark Lawrence Ashland's WS thread:
WA - WA - Mark Lawrence Ashland, 27, Seattle, 4 Sept 1981

Is it me, or does this new NamUs entry, Mark Lawrence Ashland, bear a striking resemblance to Pillar Point Doe? What do you think?

Original

Original

Original

Original

Mark Lawrence Ashland's WS thread:
WA - WA - Mark Lawrence Ashland, 27, Seattle, 4 Sept 1981
James Hire is still my #1 speculation, but Mark looks like a contender, for sure. I'm fixated on James because of the shape of his jaw; seems to align well to the rendering of the Doe. Mark's mouth looks larger than the Does, but after all, it's just a rendering. Mark is certainly a dapper looking fellow!

Amateur opinion and speculation

Editing to add there is a Mark L. Ashland, age 64 with an address in Seattle.
I can't imagine there would be a listing from 1981, so I suspect he is alive and well.

Last edited:
The DNA Doe Project has made an identification of Pillar Point Doe, pending confirmation. We are unable to release further details at this time. We would like to express our sincere sympathy and gratitude to the family as the investigation continues.

We would also like to thank the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office, Othram Inc., Full Genomes Corporation, Inc , Dr. Gregory Magoon at Aerodyne Research, GEDmatch, Family Tree DNA, and our team of dedicated DDP volunteers.

Special thanks to the Trans Doe Task Force and their team of volunteers for sending this case to the DNA Doe Project, and for their continued work to give a voice to the deceased.

Anyone with information on this case should contact:
San Mateo County Coroner’s Office
Telephone: (650) 312-5562

See our previous post for information on this case:
DNA Doe Project

See the Trans Doe Task Force’s article on this case:
A Portrait of Pillar Point Doe - Trans Doe Task Force

#PillarPointDoe
#DNADoeProject
#SanMateo
#California #PillarPoint
#TransDoeTaskForce #TDTF
#WontBeErased

The DNA Doe Project has made an identification of Pillar Point Doe, pending confirmation. We are unable to release further details at this time. We would like to express our sincere sympathy and gratitude to the family as the investigation continues.

We would also like to thank the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office, Othram Inc., Full Genomes Corporation, Inc , Dr. Gregory Magoon at Aerodyne Research, GEDmatch, Family Tree DNA, and our team of dedicated DDP volunteers.

Special thanks to the Trans Doe Task Force and their team of volunteers for sending this case to the DNA Doe Project, and for their continued work to give a voice to the deceased.

Anyone with information on this case should contact:
San Mateo County Coroner’s Office
Telephone: (650) 312-5562

See our previous post for information on this case:
DNA Doe Project

See the Trans Doe Task Force’s article on this case:
A Portrait of Pillar Point Doe - Trans Doe Task Force

#PillarPointDoe
#DNADoeProject
#SanMateo
#California #PillarPoint
#TransDoeTaskForce #TDTF
#WontBeErased

Adding link to announcement on DDP fb page - DNA Doe Project

It will be at least a little while longer. Waiting for law enforcement to do their standard verification procedures. But you are correct, when a Doe is identified and they were a victim of a crime, their name will eventually be released. When names are not released, it is because the case is a suicide or natural death and the family has chosen not to release the name. When a name is withheld by law enforcement in a murder case beyond their confirmation of the identity it is usually because they are proceeding with the investigation on the new information of the identity of the victim, and even then, it is likely that the name will eventually be made public. We are sure that Pillar Point's story will be told in time.

I have myself convinced this is James Hires. The jawline looks so distinct to me. Eagerly waiting this update.

Btw, can anyone tell me the original detective on the case? Im thinking it might be an old friend of mine who has passed, but never forgotten.

amateur opinion and speculation

It will be at least a little while longer. Waiting for law enforcement to do their standard verification procedures. But you are correct, when a Doe is identified and they were a victim of a crime, their name will eventually be released. When names are not released, it is because the case is a suicide or natural death and the family has chosen not to release the name. When a name is withheld by law enforcement in a murder case beyond their confirmation of the identity it is usually because they are proceeding with the investigation on the new information of the identity of the victim, and even then, it is likely that the name will eventually be made public. We are sure that Pillar Point's story will be told in time.
Great work, TDTF! Fingers crossed that DDP will take on Live Oak Doe!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back