NY - Billionaire Jeffrey Epstein arrested on sex trafficking charges, 6 July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inthedetails

Reaction score
<modsnip>

"Billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein was arrested for allegedly sex trafficking dozens of minors in New York and Florida between 2002 and 2005, and will appear in court in New York on Monday, according to three law enforcement sources.....

The new indictment—which, according to two sources, will be unsealed Monday in Manhattan federal court—will reportedly allege that Epstein sexually exploited dozens of underage girls in a now-familiar scheme: paying them cash for 'massages' and then molesting or sexually abusing them in his Upper East Side mansion or his palatial residence in Palm Beach. Epstein will be charged with one count of sex trafficking of minors and one count of conspiracy to engage in sex trafficking of minors—which could put him away for a maximum of 45 years."

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested For Sex Trafficking of Minors: Sources

Last edited by a moderator:
<modnsip>

"Billionaire pedophile Jeffrey Epstein was arrested for allegedly sex trafficking dozens of minors in New York and Florida between 2002 and 2005, and will appear in court in New York on Monday, according to three law enforcement sources.....

The new indictment—which, according to two sources, will be unsealed Monday in Manhattan federal court—will reportedly allege that Epstein sexually exploited dozens of underage girls in a now-familiar scheme: paying them cash for 'massages' and then molesting or sexually abusing them in his Upper East Side mansion or his palatial residence in Palm Beach. Epstein will be charged with one count of sex trafficking of minors and one count of conspiracy to engage in sex trafficking of minors—which could put him away for a maximum of 45 years."

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested For Sex Trafficking of Minors: Sources
More MSM. Epstein is in federal custody and expected to appear in court Monday for bail hearing. (Curious about bail amount as he is a wealthy man.)

Miami Herald
Jeffrey Epstein arrested in New York, charged with sex trafficking
"Sources said he was arrested by the FBI pursuant to a sealed indictment that will be unsealed on Monday."

New York Times
Jeffrey Epstein, Billionaire Long Accused of Molesting Minors, Is Charged

etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
More MSM. Epstein is in federal custody and expected to appear in court Monday for bail hearing. (Curious about bail amount as he is a wealthy man.)

Miami Herald
"Sources said he was arrested by the FBI pursuant to a sealed indictment that will be unsealed on Monday."

New York Times

etc.

Surprising, given he dodged these charges years ago. I wonder what's up? The NYT article says he was only charged with one count of sex trafficking and one count of conspiracy to commit sex trafficking. There were allegations that many more girls were invovled, so why only one count?

Was there only one victim who decided to come forward? I've heard the difficulty in prosecuting these cases is that victims are sometimes paid to keep quiet.

The plea deal that protected Mr. Epstein from federal charges was signed by the top federal prosecutor in Miami at the time, Alexander Acosta, who is now President Trump’s labor secretary.

a judge in Florida ruled that the prosecutors led by Mr. Acosta violated federal law when they failed to disclose Mr. Epstein’s nonprosecution agreement to his victims.

The agreement was negotiated in secret while victims were told prosecutors were still pursuing a possible federal criminal case.

Investigators had identified more than 30 victims. The (Miami) Herald said it located about 60.

BBM

This was the old rigged deal that resulted in previous federal charges against Mr. Epstein being dropped.

I hope they're not just doing this for "show" and that they really go through with this. With only 1 count of sex trafficking, though, I'm skeptical. IANAL, but it seems like there should be more.

ETA: Here's a link to the Miami Herald story. They've done a lot of hard work to research and report on these crimes.

Jeffrey Epstein arrested on sex trafficking charges

Last edited:
I hope they're not just doing this for "show" and that they really go through with this. With only 1 count of sex trafficking, though, I'm skeptical. IANAL, but it seems like there should be more.

Thanks for being the voice of reason. Woke Twitter flutters w/excitement that Epstein finally gets his comeuppance. Let's wait until Monday when the court unseals the charges, bail is set and see what happens.

Surprising, given he dodged these charges years ago. I wonder what's up? The NYT article says he was only charged with one count of sex trafficking and one count of conspiracy to commit sex trafficking. There were allegations that many more girls were invovled, so why only one count?

Was there only one victim who decided to come forward? I've heard the difficulty in prosecuting these cases is that victims are sometimes paid to keep quiet.

BBM

This was the old rigged deal that resulted in previous federal charges against Mr. Epstein being dropped.

ETA: Here's a link to the Miami Herald story. They've done a lot of hard work to research and report on these crimes.

I agree that the Miami Herald (and other newspapers) have done great work exposing the crimes. Journalists have been on this guy - and his gang - for a long time. Despite exposure to his (and his cronies') crimes, he's paid little price.

It hasn't been ties to one particular person, party, or administration, but a web of ties across political parties, imo, that has protected this criminal and his associates. Inviting others to his parties was the best protection, it looks like. The corruption is wide, imo.

I hope we can keep politics out of this because it will shut the thread. This guy preyed on young teenage girls for years and knew exactly how to avoid getting in trouble for it - and that was by including other powerful predators (no matter what political party) as they abused young teens for their amusement.

I'm skeptical this arrest will result in anything other than dragged-out court proceedings, but I have a tiny glimmer of hope.

jmo

I thought I read yesterday he was arrested at a Manhattan residence, but looks like he was at the Teterboro airport in NJ when arrested. Interesting.

"CBS Miami first reported that Epstein was arrested Saturday afternoon at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey under a sealed indictment."

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested on Sex-Trafficking Charges

I thought I read yesterday he was arrested at a Manhattan residence, but looks like he was at the Teterboro airport in NJ when arrested. Interesting.

"CBS Miami first reported that Epstein was arrested Saturday afternoon at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey under a sealed indictment."

Jeffrey Epstein Arrested on Sex-Trafficking Charges

Yes, the articles this morning indicate they raided his Manhattan residence around the same time they arrested him at the airport. Sounds like one of those tactics they use to prevent the suspect from destroying or removing evidence by arresting them away from their home/office.

BBM

He probably has one count to get started. I have noticed on crimes here on WS that often more and more counts are added.

Yes, the articles this morning indicate they raided his Manhattan residence around the same time they arrested him at the airport. Sounds like one of those tactics they use to prevent the suspect from destroying or removing evidence by arresting them away from their home/office.
Aha - thanks. That makes sense why both locations were mentioned.
jmo

So when this indictment is unsealed tomorrow, will it include the names of his cronies? Or will those names be withheld?
We shall find out! I don't know what time he is scheduled to be in court Monday.

I have a feeling that the "one" count he is facing might be against him only - that's why it was finally pushed through, because it doesn't name names??

IDK, total speculation.

jmo

"Saturday’s arrest also came just days after a federal appeals court in New York ordered the unsealing of nearly 2,000 pages of records in a since-settled defamation case involving Epstein."
South Florida financier Jeffrey Epstein accused of new sex crimes

So documents were ordered to be unsealed and then Epstein was arrested at an airport. Interesting.

jmo

Epstein went across all bands of high society strata in procuring (read: abusing) underage young women. He got a sweetheart deal in FL, including pleading to having sex with a 16 year old when he had clearly had relations with young women who were under 14-- meaning his sex offender registration was not as bad as it could have been.

I want all pedophiles off the street, regardless of economic status, political affiliation, or any other trait. I was outraged when he skated the first time around. I am sure there are some very connected men wondering what will be unsealed in the morrow.

We shall find out! I don't know what time he is scheduled to be in court Monday.

I have a feeling that the "one" count he is facing might be against him only - that's why it was finally pushed through, because it doesn't name names??

IDK, total speculation.

jmo

BBM for focus. Or, is a young woman who would not have been included in the sweeping deal from before. Or, is based on some of the women who would not be able to file civil claims.
The Daily Beast reports on June 25, 2019 (Feds Want to Uphold Billionaire Pedophile Jeffrey Epstein’s Shady Plea Deal) regarding the Georgia court filing:
"But, according to the government’s latest filing, any remedies the court imposes should 'give victims a voice in the criminal justice process, but not decision-making authority over prosecution decisions.'

The government claims that the victims’ request to toss out the plea deal would “cause unintended harm to many of” the victims and jeopardize the settlements more than a dozen of them received."

And, given that the survivors weren't consulted but were given only a venue of civil redress, I wonder about the prosecutor's position in the Georgia filing.

Quoted from the Miami Herald's Julie K Brown in November 2018 article (How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime) and bolded by me:

Not only would Epstein serve just 13 months in the county jail, but the deal — called a non-prosecution agreement — essentially shut down an ongoing FBI probe into whether there were more victims and other powerful people who took part in Epstein’s sex crimes, according to a Miami Herald examination of thousands of emails, court documents and FBI records.

The pact required Epstein to plead guilty to two prostitution charges in state court. Epstein and four of his accomplices named in the agreement received immunity from all federal criminal charges. But even more unusual, the deal included wording that granted immunity to “any potential co-conspirators’’ who were also involved in Epstein’s crimes. These accomplices or participants were not identified in the agreement, leaving it open to interpretation whether it possibly referred to other influential people who were having sex with underage girls at Epstein’s various homes or on his plane.

As part of the arrangement, Acosta agreed, despite a federal law to the contrary, that the deal would be kept from the victims. As a result, the non-prosecution agreement was sealed until after it was approved by the judge, thereby averting any chance that the girls — or anyone else — might show up in court and try to derail it.

This is the story of how Epstein, bolstered by unlimited funds and represented by a powerhouse legal team, was able to manipulate the criminal justice system, and how his accusers, still traumatized by their pasts, believe they were betrayed by the very prosecutors who pledged to protect them.

From July 6, 2019 NYT Jeffrey Epstein, Billionaire Long Accused of Molesting Minors, Is Charged:

Some of the girls were runaways or foster children; Mr. Epstein would ask some girls to recruit others to bring to his properties. The encounters took place from 1999 to 2005.

According to court records, in a 2007 interview with the F.B.I., one girl shared that at age 15 she began visiting Mr. Epstein and gave him massages — both in her underwear and then nude — for $200 each.

Over time, the encounters became increasingly sexual. Mr. Epstein also got the girl to bring other girls who worked with her at a local strip club....

One of the victims, Courtney Wild, now 31, was wearing braces when she first met Mr. Epstein. “Jeffrey preyed on girls who were in a bad way, girls who were basically homeless,” Ms. Wild told The Herald. “He went after girls who he thought no one would listen to and he was right.”

Investigators had identified more than 30 victims. The Herald said it located about 60.

It seems like Mara Lago has had a lot of excitement. There was that Chinese madam and I forget who the famous old man that was busted at the “massage” parlor in Florida

It seems like Mara Lago has had a lot of excitement. There was that Chinese madam and I forget who the famous old man that was busted at the “massage” parlor in Florida
Mr. Kraft, owner of the Patriots. One of Epstein's survivors had been a spa attendant at Mar-a-Lago as I recall (not saying it has anything to do with anything).

Not at all surprising that rich people like Epstein and Kraft might work around the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie