CA - Earthquake - 6.4 foreshock; 7.1 main shock, 4 July, 2019 - Largest since 1999

Wow didn't see it last night but China Lake Naval Weapons Center is not mission capable until further notice and access is limited to mission essential personnel only. Non essential active personnel, drilling reservists, dependents and civilian employees were authorized to evacuate within a 100 mile radius of Naval Base Ventura County

Just in case anyone else is a nervous wreck like I am now.
This kit comes in 1-6 person sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079TKJ13N/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3N9JFOTEJ3OMN&psc=1

Then of course you still gather clothes, medicine, dog food, tampons, diapers, additional food or water, the charging cable for your phone... whatever else you think you might need. Just throw that stuff in a second backpack and you're ready.

My biggest challenge is always how to have 3 kits that all have clothes and meds in them. The rest is no big deal. But having enough extra meds and clothes is always the part I get hung up on!

And don’t forget cash in case ATMs don’t work. Also copies of important documents.

It does get complicated to have kits in the right places. Thankfully we only need one car now, so we have go-bags for both of us in the trunk and go-bags in the coat closet. If one of us is out with the car the one at home can grab and go. We’ve also got boxes in the garage with tent and sleeping bags, etc to throw in the car, plus boxes with supplies to shelter in place at home. Have I driven you nuts yet?! :eek: I have to admit I’m a little over-the-top about being prepared.

I re-did our bags last summer when we had wildfires all over the area (southern Oregon/Northern California). I hadn’t looked at them in almost 10 years, so I had to replace a lot of stuff including clothing that didn’t fit anymore. :D

Earthquakes don't bother me much. I feel nervous when they happen. Scared if they're big.

But as long as I'm not on an elevated freeway, under a bridge, in an old highrise or in an elevator, I'm not terrified.

Tornadoes can come out of nowhere. Often in the darkness. You may get a warning but you never know where it's going to turn or where it's really going to hit.

More important, states that have big tornadoes and hurricanes have an actual season of them.

We don't.

The level of storm damage in states with tornadoes and hurricanes each year and the numbers of deaths vastly outweigh death and damage in CA from earthquakes. Vastly. No comparison.

However, fires. That's what scares the hell out of me when it comes to natural disaster in our state. And that we do have a season for!!

What are the odds of dying in an earthquake?
We just had a day that included 2 tornado warnings (yesterday). Here in NJ, they are rare, but occurring more often. There was one in my town about a month ago as well and I was driving when the alert came through on my phone. Not a fun ride back to my house. They are indeed scary.

We have also experienced earthquakes (one where the epicenter was in Virginia), and my bird feeders were swaying in all directions.

Last edited:
So - no more shaking on the West Coast? At least nothing bigger than 5s?

Hold on! I have been thru 3 of those quakes in California.....

1971 - Sylmar,
1989 - Loma Prieta
1994 - Northridge

And don’t forget cash in case ATMs don’t work. Also copies of important documents.

It does get complicated to have kits in the right places. Thankfully we only need one car now, so we have go-bags for both of us in the trunk and go-bags in the coat closet. If one of us is out with the car the one at home can grab and go. We’ve also got boxes in the garage with tent and sleeping bags, etc to throw in the car, plus boxes with supplies to shelter in place at home. Have I driven you nuts yet?! :eek: I have to admit I’m a little over-the-top about being prepared.

I re-did our bags last summer when we had wildfires all over the area (southern Oregon/Northern California). I hadn’t looked at them in almost 10 years, so I had to replace a lot of stuff including clothing that didn’t fit anymore. :D
You aren't driving me nuts! I think you're giving very helpful information! I'm a few pages behind so this may have been talked about already but I wanted to mention pets. Be sure to include pets when you are estimating how much water you need. I have collapsible grates in my garage. One for each of my greyhounds and one for my African grey. You may need to leave your house after a quake. You may even end up outside. You will need a place to keep for your pets safe and secure. I also keep extra food on hand. I always have at least one extra bag of food available.

I've been here for all of them.
Same here. Thought I got away from when I moved to Seattle for a few years but nope, was there for the Nisqaully quake in 2001. I was sitting at a stop light when that one hit, thought I got rear ended from the way the car jolted at first. Looked up and the guy was four feet behind me and I was confused at first, looked to the side and the car next to me looked like it was on hydraulics it was bouncing so bad. Looked at my shop across the stop light and saw all my guys running out. First quake any of them had been through and they were all freaked out

There’s nothing wrong with being a little over the top when it comes to this!

As mentioned previously, I’m in tornado territory, and I am not as prepared as I should be. I’m going to make it a priority to make some bags up for me and the kids. Plus, now that the kids are teens and we are more often in different places than each other, I want to get a meeting point set up for us to get to in case we can’t get to our house.

Just this year we’ve had flash flooding in our street and a huge tree branch that blocked the street.

Cool website with realtime seismicity

Latest Earthquakes in the world
I love that site! Here's another good one. It's a map, you can pick what regions you want. You can pick US only or the entire world.
Latest Earthquakes

Edited to add: you can click on the little gear symbol in the upper right hand corner and select your settings. I have mine set to worldwide, the last 7 days, magnitude 2.5 or greater.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm making the pets their own bag. That's going to be easier.

Aaaahhh ok, I don't have cable and don't like watching videos off of Facebook. I imagine if the went essential personnel only, the damage has to be somewhat bad

I was watching ABC7 news live on youtube, on my TV through my xbox. I have a sick little boy so I was stuck on the couch while he slept on me anyway. Normally I don't sit down long enough to watch anything.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back