Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a conference of scientists and professionals, and there was an evening event. My guess is that no one from the conference was drinking in the afternoon. Going for a run at 4:30PM, between the afternoon and evening event, seems like a good idea if she normally does that.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear, I meant if a car indeed hit her, then the drivers could of been drinking and therefor chickened out on calling an ambulance.

I've either missed something or it hasn't been mentioned.

Who found her and what led them to the bunker?

Upthread ... the septic smell drew people to look into it. They found the body, face down, a few meters inside an artificial cave. There is information that at least her head was covered with something - maybe foliage or debris? ??

The cave is known to locals and has been described as a type of underground maze.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear, I meant if a car indeed hit her, then the drivers could of been drinking and therefor chickened out on calling an ambulance.

Of course, the driver could have been skunk drunk. That's another reason to hide the body. At this point, if the injuries are consistent with a car accident, then it's best that the driver comes forward now. Hitting someone who is running near or on a busy windy road is a foreseeable accident.

Maybe it's better to admit hiding a road accident than drunken homicide.

Once complete, there should be information on if she was hit by a car or if she was attacked. Those two methods of death would look quite different. IMO

Missing American scientist found dead in abandoned WWII bunker in Greece

"Police have not commented on what might have caused Eaton's death, and her institute said they had been informed the investigation was still underway to establish what had happened. Detectives from Athens were traveling to Crete to assist, The Associated Press reported. Her body has been sent to the town of Rethymno on Crete for an autopsy."

I wonder how difficult it will be to get any information about this case now that SE has been found?? MSM following her disappearance was slim to almost nil. No sense of urgency but maybe that’s the laid back lifestyle. Admittedly I have no clue. Just wondering out loud.

Once complete, there should be information on if she was hit by a car or if she was attacked. Those two methods of death would look quite different. IMO

Missing American scientist found dead in abandoned WWII bunker in Greece

"Police have not commented on what might have caused Eaton's death, and her institute said they had been informed the investigation was still underway to establish what had happened. Detectives from Athens were traveling to Crete to assist, The Associated Press reported. Her body has been sent to the town of Rethymno on Crete for an autopsy."

Because she is a doctor from the USA, she and the investigation are getting full attention. If she was from Bulgaria, there might be a different protocol.

I'm very curious whether her injuries are caused by a road accident, or something more personal. If it's something more personal, it does support the question of serial murderer on Crete.

I've been following. Such a devastating and senseless outcome. I feel very sorry for her husband and children. Dr. Eaton had so much to offer.
She had a senior black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I know someone who has the same, and he could flatten any person who could try an assault. Makes me think the person had a weapon, if this was not a car accident. Was she running on the road? I thought is was a trail...but we don't know where she was running.

Still trying to get a sense of the bigger picture ...
  • 2 July 2019, last contact Tuesday afternoon (4:30pm?)
  • 8 July 2019, body found, evening
  • body 10km from last contact location
  • body a few meters inside an artificial cave, a former German bunker
  • laying on belly/face
  • head and maybe body was covered, unknown
  • outstanding and inspiring scientist, loving spouse, mother, athlete, beloved, deceased
  • the case is treated as a "criminal act"
  • it is certain that the 60-year-old lost her life elsewhere and was transferred to the cave by those involved

I've been following. Such a devastating and senseless outcome. I feel very sorry for her husband and children. Dr. Eaton had so much to offer.
She had a senior black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I know someone who has the same, and he could flatten any person who could try an assault. Makes me think the person had a weapon, if this was not a car accident. Was she running on the road? I thought is was a trail...but we don't know where she was running.

I don't know where she was running. There are a lot of comments about the windy roads, so I wonder if she was running on the windy roads.

If she was running on a trail, I'm ready to leap to serial murderer.

Because she is a doctor from the USA, she and the investigation are getting full attention. If she was from Bulgaria, there might be a different protocol.

I'm very curious whether her injuries are caused by a road accident, or something more personal. If it's something more personal, it does support the question of serial murderer on Crete.

Good to know @otto.

Agree with your comment about her injuries and the story that will tell.

I feel like anything I say with regard to condolences sounds like empty words. I’m not very good at putting my feelings on paper. I’ll give it a whirl...

How completely and utterly devastating for all of those who know and love SE. Beautiful woman who should still be contributing to our world. It just hurts.

I really don't think this was a car accident. People who accidentally hit someone with their car and decide to flee the scene do not usually stop to hide the body or take the body with them. They usually leave in a panic without thinking about hiding the body. And if a driver was drunk they really would not have been thinking clearly enough nor would they have had the agility needed to move the body to a cave/bunker that is located 100 meters from a rural road (that's roughly 328 feet for the Americans). I don't have a source for this, but I recently read in another case here that the average distance from a road that a murderer hides a body is only around 50 feet. Some might hide their victims farther away from roads but it makes sense to me that most would not go too far. More distance takes extra effort to move the body and increases the risk of getting caught or seen by someone passing by on the road.

Whomever took Suzanne's body to that cave was both very familiar with the area and knew that they had time to get her to the cave without being seen. They knew not many people would be out hiking to the cave on a hot day. Or maybe they even moved her body there under cover of night and specifically chose the location because it was so far from where she disappeared (10 km). I think this was foul play and the murderer took her body to the cave to hide it-- maybe with intentions of taking her body to the ocean later to dispose of it. But this was an American scientist and word of her being missing spread quickly. Whomever left her body in the cave could not risk moving it again. I'm not sure if this is a serial killer but I do think there is a murderer at work here. I hope the evidence found on Suzanne's body will be his undoing. People rarely hide a body in panic due to "an accident". If an accident happened then the proper thing to do was to call for help.

MOO= My Opinion Only.

Last edited:
So very sad to see the news of her passing. I travel often for science conferences and it’s difficult to make it very far at those events without running into people you know. She had a good sized lab group and I’m wondering if anyone else was there and may have seen her. Was her hotel key missing?

So very sad to see the news of her passing. I travel often for science conferences and it’s difficult to make it very far at those events without running into people you know. She had a good sized lab group and I’m wondering if anyone else was there and may have seen her. Was her hotel key missing?

Good question about her hotel key. If it’s electronic I believe they can better pinpoint the time she left.

Good question about her hotel key. If it’s electronic I believe they can better pinpoint the time she left.

I was looking for where she was staying to check out the hotel reviews and found this:

Dr. Eaton, a scientist at Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics in Dresden, Germany who was in Crete for a science conference, has not been heard from or seen since her disappearance.

She was staying at the Orthodox Academy of Crete near the town of Kolymvari, west of Chania.

Missing American Scientist Reportedly Found Dead in Crete | GreekReporter.com

Website for the Orthodox Academy of Crete: Orthodox Academy of Crete

If it's correct that OAC was where she was staying there, then I wonder if they have traditional keyed rooms and how many people might have had a key to her room. A regular key could easily be duplicated.

MOO.

I really don't think this was a car accident. People who accidentally hit someone with their car and decide to flee the scene do not usually stop to hide the body or take the body with them. They usually leave in a panic without thinking about hiding the body. And if a driver was drunk they really would not have been thinking clearly enough nor would they have had the agility needed to move the body to a cave/bunker that is located 100 meters from a rural road (that's roughly 328 feet for the Americans). I don't have a source for this, but I recently read in another case here that the average distance from a road that a murderer hides a body is only around 50 feet. Some might hide their victims farther away from roads but it makes sense to me that most would not go too far. More distance takes extra effort to move the body and increases the risk of getting caught or seen by someone passing by on the road.

Whomever took Suzanne's body to that cave was both very familiar with the area and knew that they had time to get her to the cave without being seen. They knew not many people would be out hiking to the cave on a hot day. Or maybe they even moved her body there under cover of night and specifically chose the location because it was so far from where she disappeared (10 km). I think this was foul play and the murderer took her body to the cave to hide it-- maybe with intentions of taking her body to the ocean later to dispose of it. But this was an American scientist and word of her being missing spread quickly. Whomever left her body in the cave could not risk moving it again. I'm not sure if this is a serial killer but I do think there is a murderer at work here. I hope the evidence found on Suzanne's body will be his undoing. People rarely hide a body in panic due to "an accident". If an accident happened then the proper thing to do was to call for help.

MOO= My Opinion Only.

Gardener, do you think it’s possible this was done by someone she knew? They would know her running routine and possible route if she had mentioned it to them before. Obviously this would be premeditated and they clearly would of done their research. I’m still a little stuck on the fact that the last time she was seen was playing piano at the OAC at 3pm. From what I understand, nobody saw her exit the OAC for a run. But why in the world would anyone want to cause harm to Dr. Eaton?

In general, murders are very uncommon in Greece.

ETA: change hotel to OAC [ Orthodox Academy of Crete]

Gardener, do you think it’s possible this was done by someone she knew? They would know her running routine and possible route if she had mentioned it to them before. Obviously this would be premeditated and they clearly would of done their research. I’m still a little stuck on the fact that the last time she was seen was playing piano at the hotel at 3pm. From what I understand, nobody saw her exit the hotel for a run. But why in the world would anyone want to cause harm to Dr. Eaton?

In general, murders are very uncommon in Greece.

It's possible her killer knew her, but I'm not sure. I think it must be someone with knowledge of the island to find that cave. There's too much unknown info right now. AFAIK, no one saw her going for a run. We only know that her running shoes were missing from her room. What I'm interested in is-- how often did Crete host this conference she attended? Had she been there for the conference before? Did she know any of the people who were hosting her at the OAC? Were any of the other scientists at the conference locals to Crete? What were her interactions like with the staff there? What was her interaction with the other scientists? Had she shown an interest in exploring Crete's history? Perhaps someone offered to take her on a sight-seeing tour of the island during her break and used that to lure her to the cave? Too much is unknown at this point.

PS: I briefly considered this might be suicide but tossed that idea aside once I saw the you tube video of the cave someone posted in this thread. I don't know how she would have found that cave on her own and I can't imagine wanting to go inside it alone.

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member