Found Deceased Greece - Dr. Suzanne Eaton, 60, American, gone for a run, Crete, 2 Jul 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zecats, can you post the review here? I tried to find that bunker on TripAdvisor and wasn’t able to. There are other former Nazi bunkers that have even converted to a museum on the other side of Crete that are on there but I haven’t found the bunker in Xamoudochori.

If they aren’t on TripAdvisor then I definitely am leaning towards a local. Given that crime ( especially crime this brutal) is so rare in Greece, I’m so confused as to the motive. She didn’t have valuables on her. Broad daylight near a conference center. Did she complain about an employee at the center in years past? It’s really confusing.
You are correct. Not realizing there are more than one, I thought it was a review of the one she was found in. I found 2 others, 1 near Apokoronas, Chania and the other farther away near Kokkino, Chorio.

Still doesn't mean 100% that a tourist or a person from the conference didn't know about all of them, Xamoudochori included. Especially if it's someone who visits Crete often. JMO

Last edited:
Ah I was asking because another person suggested they had her in the car and took her to the cave at night.

She vanished between 3 and 5PM, last seen playing the piano at the academy. My guess is that she was in the cave within an hour or two of abduction, but it is possible that it happened later. It's hard to say right now, only knowing how she died and where she was found.

The longer someone keeps a victim, the more likely to be caught. If it was someone from the conference, that person would want to be seen at the evening events. If it is a local person, having no alibi for several hours into the evening can be problematic.

You are correct. Not realizing there are more than one, I thought it was a review of the one she was found in. I found 2 others, 1 near Apokoronas, Chania and the other farther away near Kokkino, Chorio.

Still doesn't mean 100% that a tourist or a person from the conference didn't know about all of them, Xamoudochori included. Especially if it's someone who visits Cret often. JMO

Some people might be curious about Nazi history on Crete and know a lot about the caves.

Hmmm, a thought....
Her ear was cut off. Was it found or is it missing?
Was it taken as evidence of the kill? Or was it cut off during a struggle and was lying where she was found (or perhaps at the murder site)?

Great news!
I had a sense that that case wasn't relevant to this one.

I would love to hear the 'gossip' amongst the conference goers.
Ms Eaton appeared to be well respected.

She was well respected, but, as someone pointed out upthread, academia can be nasty business. Well respected people sometimes get to the top because they are not so nice along the way. If an idea was stolen - not saying it was - that can be a career stopper.

Hmmm, a thought....
Her ear was cut off. Was it found or is it missing?
Was it taken as evidence of the kill? Or was it cut off during a struggle and was lying where she was found (or perhaps at the murder site)?

I’m curious to this as well. They said cut so I’ll assume cut for now. But I wonder if it was *torn* off rather than cut.

Ear = trophy. If she runs +30 mins a day at 59, she's in shape nd woulda fought back. Tunnel is 100 yds from road, so attacker(S) is fit too. Possibility of more than one murderer. Isolated tunnel = local knowledge. In middle of day?? Only chance to corner her alone. Get alibi on every conference center worker. Parallels to Molly case in Iowa. Does Greece have a national crime databank? Ability to test DNA? <modsnip> Water in Greek isles is precious -check increased rate of homeowner consumption? Check manifests of all ferries departing within 3 days of crime. Tire track and bootprint evidence in the dust? Butts? Determine blade of weapon by autopsy and work backwards on shops that sell that blade Never jog alone in foreign country roads

Last edited by a moderator:
She was well respected, but, as someone pointed out upthread, academia can be nasty business. Well respected people sometimes get to the top because they are not so nice along the way. If an idea was stolen - not saying it was - that can be a career stopper.

“The third leading cause of workplace death—behind “falls to a lower level” and “roadway collisions with other vehicles”—is homicide.”

Source: A Shocking Number of Killers Murder Their Co-workers

Please bare with me as I have been following from a distance and haven't been on WS for awhile with the new format.. It was reported earlier that Suzanne was a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. So I'm sure she put up one h*** of a fight which may have resulted in her death.

"Suzanne is a U.S. citizen, a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, a molecular biologist at the Max Planck Institute in Dresden, Germany, the beloved mother of two sons, and wife of British scientist Dr. Tony Hyman."

Searching for Suzanne! U.S. Biologist has gone missing in Chania

Given the intense heat, how long before the body started giving decomposing smells.

Very quickly, especially if kept in a car in these summer temps which was the train of thought that led to your question.

We had to put one of our dogs to sleep last month. This was at 3pm. We planned to bury him in our back garden the next morning. The temperatures here were the same as in Greece now, overnight it was still in the high 20s. Well, the next morning (less than 20 hours after death) decomp was already in full swing and you could easily smell it. We hurried to get him in the earth!

It would be worse if kept in a car boot.

Sorry to be graphic. :( Such is the reality of death.

American scientist in Greece died of asphyxiation, authorities say

Two things: cause of death was asphyxiation. Earlier reports said they weren’t sure if it was her cause of death.

The bunker was in an area popular with tourists that stay near there.
“The World War II bunker is in an area where many tourist stay, said Konstantinos Beblidakis, the vice mayor of the local Platanias municipality, in a statement on Tuesday.

“There are many people going out there and especially tourists who go either by hiking or to go to the villas where they have rented rooms,” Beblidakis said. “It is an amphitheatrical area where many tourists pass by daily.”’

So it seems perhaps it could of been a foreigner that was staying in Xamoudochori. One thing I read on the OAC website is that the rooms are only available for the length of the conference and to make alternate accommodations if staying for longer than the planned conference timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj