Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MarieWS

I don’t know if you’ll be back on here or not, I would imagine it would be pretty painful. I also can’t imagine what you’re all feeling. I just wanted to take a time out and let you know that I’m thinking about you all and hoping this brings you some kind of closure or peace. It’s very evident that Savannah is loved and missed and how you’ve all conducted yourselves is admirable. You never gave up and that takes a lot of strength and courage.

One arrest has been made following the search for missing Richmond mother Savannah Spurlock

David Sparks was booked into the Madison County Detention Center Thursday morning. Sparks is charged with abuse of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence.

Kentucky State Police Trooper Robert Purdy says investigators found human remains at a property in Garrard County in connection to the Spurlock case.

Authorities were at Perkins Lane, which is one of the sites where search teams were deployed in the weeks following Spurlock's disappearance. The road was blocked at the Fall Lick Road intersection. They received a tip around 5 p.m.

Troopers said the property being searched belonged to the family of a potential suspect.

Kentucky State Police didn't identify the remains. Medical examiners in Frankfort will perform an autopsy.

Human remains found at Garrard County property connected to Savannah Spurlock case; one in custody

Spurlock+search+Sparks+web.jpg

One arrest has been made following the search for missing Richmond mother Savannah Spurlock

David Sparks was booked into the Madison County Detention Center Thursday morning. Sparks is charged with abuse of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence.

Kentucky State Police Trooper Robert Purdy says investigators found human remains at a property in Garrard County in connection to the Spurlock case.

Authorities were at Perkins Lane, which is one of the sites where search teams were deployed in the weeks following Spurlock's disappearance. The road was blocked at the Fall Lick Road intersection. They received a tip around 5 p.m.

Troopers said the property being searched belonged to the family of a potential suspect.

Kentucky State Police didn't identify the remains. Medical examiners in Frankfort will perform an autopsy.

Human remains found at Garrard County property connected to Savannah Spurlock case; one in custody

Spurlock+search+Sparks+web.jpg

I would imagine they’ll tack on some more charges after the autopsy is officially completed.

No remains found yet. Then why is the coroner there?

To verify they are human when they find them.
Also because they know they will find them.

Wow, I’m hopeful! Too many missing women in Kentucky have not gotten justice. I feared Savannah would be another on that list.

Paige Johnson. :(

The MC Coroner followed a truck out which is carrying a container.

Jacqueline Nie on Twitter

That looks like it's made out of sheet metal.
It doesn't even really look like a "tool box" that you'd put in the bed of your truck.
It's longer, as long as the bed of the truck not as wide as the bed of the truck.
I think it's 5 feet, pretty sure that's a short bed truck.
Though it did have hinges and handles on it, so maybe it was an actual tool box.
Just haven't seen anything like that before...

This is closure if nothing else. It looked like this would never happen.

I am astounded that a body was found after the property was searched by LE. I can only guess the previous search warrants were limited in scope because this makes no sense to me.

Would think a coffin shaped sheet metal box would have stood out immediately during a search and warranted a further search warrant!

I mean c’mon you would search a shed and a large metal box inside the shed.

Maybe I’m just angry right now

No, it's not just you. I don't understand either. I mean you wouldn't THINK anyone would be that stupid.... but you would still check because it looks like a coffin!

There's a well out back, apparently. Could they have thrown the large box down into that to hide it?

I don't think the circumference of a well would allow that, but it's possible. There also doesn't appear to be any dents or even scuff marks in the steel at all.

However I think it would have taken LE longer to recover if it had been thrown down a well. This was FAST, under an hour - I believe 45 minutes from "the search has started" to "loaded into truck".

They went in, went to it and brought it out. They knew what they were looking for and exactly where it was.

It's like she was just laying in the garage. It's unreal and unnerving and unsettling and just WRONG.

I thought the metal box was what they used to transport her after they found her. I didn’t even think about it being what she was initially buried in. It’s pretty big. I just assumed LE used it to keep her protected from the elements until an autopsy could be done.

The ground was frozen for a lot of the weeks following her disappearance, that would be really difficult to bury.

They weren't there long enough for her to have been buried and that steel was shiny, not dirty.

They would have transported her in a regular body bag. But we wouldn't have seen it because they would have loaded her into the coroner's vehicle out of sight. Because she's in another container they aren't going to disturb evidence to move her out of it.

Then again, they aren't wearing gloves, maybe they dusted for prints first. It's two male cops and a female loading it. Definitely sheet metal, it's not that heavy, they aren't struggling with it. Not sure if she is an officer or a searcher or what...

Twitter

"... Troopers said the property being searched belonged to the family of a potential suspect. David Sparks was taken into custody early Thursday morning. Sparks is charged with abuse of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence. ..."

WKYT update 3:51AM Thursday 7/11/19

Human remains found at Garrard County property connected to Savannah Spurlock case

So is the property his property, or another suspects property?

Man arrested in connection to Savannah Spurlock case

David Sparks was taken into custody and charged with tampering with physical evidence and abuse of a corpse. Kentucky State Police say that human remains were found on a property in Garrard County. Officers were at a home on Fall Lick Road overnight in relation to the disappearance of Savannah Spurlock

The remains were found just before midnight. They are waiting on an autopsy for a positive ID.

KSP confirmed that it was a tip that led them to the home. They would not give specific details about that tip. The tip was received around 5 p.m. on Wednesday.

They said the property belongs to the parents of one of the suspects who troopers believe was one of the three people who Spurlock was last seen with.

Investigators were focused on the back of the home. Around 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, investigators officially started their search. The FBI's evidence response team was at the scene. Law enforcement officers were seen carrying out a large container.

Abuse of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence.

That has me thinking....

I believe that these both simply refer to the fact that her body was hidden for six months.

Abuse of a corpse is a standard term for not disposing of a body in the proper way. (Mortuary, death certificate, cemetery/cremation.)

Tampering with physical evidence—well, hiding her body for six months has ruined much of the physical evidence.

MOO

525.120 Abuse of a corpse.

(1) A person is guilty of abuse of a corpse when except as authorized by law he intentionally treats a corpse in a way that would outrage ordinary family sensibilities. A person shall also be guilty of abuse of a corpse if that person enters into a contract and accepts remuneration for the preparation of a corpse for burial or the burial or cremation of a corpse and then deliberately fails to prepare, bury, or cremate that corpse in accordance with that contract.

(2) Abuse of a corpse is a Class D felony.

Effective: June 27, 2019 History: Amended 2019 Ky. Acts ch. 60, sec. 1, effective June 27, 2019. -- Amended 2002 Ky. Acts ch. 276, sec. 8, effective July 15, 2002. -- Amended 2000 Ky. Acts ch. 490, sec. 1, effective July 14, 2000. -- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 222, effective January 1, 1975. Legislative Research Commission Note (6/27/2019). Section 2 of 2019 Ky. Acts ch. 60 states that the Act, which amended this statute, may be cited as Kristen's Law.

524.100 Tampering with physical evidence.

(1) A person is guilty of tampering with physical evidence when, believing that an official proceeding is pending or may be instituted, he:

(a) Destroys, mutilates, conceals, removes or alters physical evidence which he believes is about to be produced or used in the official proceeding with intent to impair its verity or availability in the official proceeding; or

(b) Fabricates any physical evidence with intent that it be introduced in the official proceeding or offers any physical evidence, knowing it to be fabricated or altered.

(2) Tampering with physical evidence is a Class D felony.

Effective: January 1, 1975 History: Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 209, effective January 1, 1975.

https://apps.legislature.ky.gov/law/statutes/statute.aspx?id=19914

Last edited:
Abuse of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence.

That has me thinking....

**Edit - apparently this code has just changed to a felony charge. See @Seattle1 reply below. I guess the online system hasn’t been updated to reflect that yet.

The code they have it listed as, 02602, is the misdemeanor charge for abuse of a corpse. (There’s another option for a felony charge that says Sexual Intercourse *edited to change from “abuse”* beside it. Right now the website has only the misdemeanor charge abuse of corpse and felony charge tampering with physical evidence listed for Sparks.)
I’m not sure (and don’t want to even think of) what could be included with the misdemeanor charge. But I would think it would be more than a misdemeanor charge, unless it was that he buried or covered her.
Hopefully I’m making some sense and I’m correct.

I’m so heartbroken for Savannah and for all those who love her. :’(
Prayers for them. It’s broken my heart and I can’t imagine how they must feel.

Last edited:
The code they have it listed as, 02602, is the misdemeanor charge for abuse of a corpse. (There’s another option for a felony charge that says Sexual Intercourse *edited to change from “abuse”* beside it. Right now the website has only the misdemeanor charge abuse of corpse and felony charge tampering with physical evidence listed for Sparks.)
I’m not sure (and don’t want to even think of) what could be included with the misdemeanor charge. But I would think it would be more than a misdemeanor charge, unless it was that he buried or covered her.
Hopefully I’m making some sense and I’m correct.

I’m so heartbroken for Savannah and for all those who love her. :’(
Prayers for them. It’s broken my heart and I can’t imagine how they must feel.

Effective July 1, 2019 - Abuse of a Corpse (525.120) became a felony under Kristen's Law. [Kristen Edwards 22, Cave City murdered July 2016].

To verify they are human when they find them.
Also because they know they will find them.

Paige Johnson. :(

That looks like it's made out of sheet metal.
It doesn't even really look like a "tool box" that you'd put in the bed of your truck.
It's longer, as long as the bed of the truck not as wide as the bed of the truck.
I think it's 5 feet, pretty sure that's a short bed truck.
Though it did have hinges and handles on it, so maybe it was an actual tool box.
Just haven't seen anything like that before...

Would think a coffin shaped sheet metal box would have stood out immediately during a search and warranted a further search warrant!

No, it's not just you. I don't understand either. I mean you wouldn't THINK anyone would be that stupid.... but you would still check because it looks like a coffin!

I don't think the circumference of a well would allow that, but it's possible. There also doesn't appear to be any dents or even scuff marks in the steel at all.

However I think it would have taken LE longer to recover if it had been thrown down a well. This was FAST, under an hour - I believe 45 minutes from "the search has started" to "loaded into truck".

They went in, went to it and brought it out. They knew what they were looking for and exactly where it was.

It's like she was just laying in the garage. It's unreal and unnerving and unsettling and just WRONG.

They weren't there long enough for her to have been buried and that steel was shiny, not dirty.

They would have transported her in a regular body bag. But we wouldn't have seen it because they would have loaded her into the coroner's vehicle out of sight. Because she's in another container they aren't going to disturb evidence to move her out of it.

Then again, they aren't wearing gloves, maybe they dusted for prints first. It's two male cops and a female loading it. Definitely sheet metal, it's not that heavy, they aren't struggling with it. Not sure if she is an officer or a searcher or what...

Twitter

So is the property his property, or another suspects property?
Numerous articles state that this is the suspect's parents' property. It was previously searched by LE many months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa