NE NE - Chance Englebert, 25, Gering, 6 July 2019 (new father)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagle

Reaction score
It has been four days since family members have seen or heard from 25-year-old Chance Englebert, a Moorcroft, Wyoming man who was visiting family in Gering Saturday night.

On Tuesday night, family and friends announced they have pooled together $7,800 in reward money to find Chance, and reconnect him with his wife and newborn son.

A total of 16 agencies have been trying to retrace Englebert’s path from Saturday night. Gering Police Captain Jason Rogers says that Chance left a home on O Street around 7 p.m. for a walk. The family says he never returned, but through the investigation the last known location he was seen was walking north on 10th Street near Martha Drive at 7:51 p.m.

Gering Police Chief George Holtus adds that preliminary cell phone data pinpointed his last location in the vicinity of southwest Scottsbluff.

On Monday afternoon, crews set up the Region 22 Emergency Management Mobile Command Unit at the YMCA Trails West Camp, and search teams walked the area up to the Avenue I river bridge.

On Tuesday afternoon, more agencies got involved, and expanded the search area as well. The AirLink helicopter provided aerial support, while more than 50 people from 16 agencies scoured their search area on the ground.

Holthus says they’ve also been in contact with the Moorcroft Police Department to see if Englebert managed to hitch a ride back home.

Search efforts will continue on Wednesday, and police and family members are urging the public to come forward with any information on the whereabouts of Chance Englebert.

Family and friends offering reward to locate Chance Englebert

IMG_1474-789x1024.jpg

I thought maybe he was hitching to get home but the two towns are not far apart.

Google Maps

I'm confused - I thought LE said Chance's residence was is Moorcroft, WY, and his family, where he was visiting, was in Gering, NE, a 221-mile drive:

Google Maps

upload_2019-7-10_23-10-54.png

If he did, indeed, live in Moorcroft, WY, the sightings and the pings were along the route to get home:
O Street, Gering -- seen leaving a house, no exact address.
3380 10th St, Gering -- reported sighting going N at 10th St. & Martha Road)
Western Travel Terminal, 822 S. Beltline Hwy -- where phone last pinged (WTT)

I'm confused - I thought LE said Chance's residence was is Moorcroft, WY, and his family, where he was visiting, was in Gering, NE, a 221-mile drive:

Google Maps

View attachment 192978

If he did, indeed, live in Moorcroft, WY, the sightings and the pings were along the route to get home:
O Street, Gering -- seen leaving a house, no exact address.
3380 10th St, Gering -- reported sighting going N at 10th St. & Martha Road)
Western Travel Terminal, 822 S. Beltline Hwy -- where phone last pinged (WTT)

I was not thinking and went by what the town he listed on his FB page.

I see in Post #8, I had already started my post about the search location when I replied to PerfectinPink. I was trying to wait for more people to post, but Post #8 appears like an unfinished thougth - which it was!

The article linked by @Cagle (TY for finding Family and friends offering reward to locate Chance Englebert!) mentioned that:

"On Monday afternoon, crews set up the Region 22 Emergency Management Mobile Command Unit at the YMCA Trails West Camp, and search teams walked the area up to the Avenue I river bridge."

I have made a google map marking the location of the YMCA Trails West Camp, and the other point is on the Avenue I bridge. On the map, google calls it Five Rocks Road, but if you google walk it, it says Ave I on the road as it goes over the bridge:

upload_2019-7-11_4-21-35.png

There are 2 gas pump points that google added to this clip - the pump by Avenue I and S. Beltline Hwy is where Chance's phone pinged last. Here is the link to the map:

Google Maps

Is he despondent? Why did he leave on foot to travel 221 miles?
As Chance Englebert remains missing, family issues plea to public for help
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Despite rumors to the contrary, Rogers said video footage showing Chance at Western Travel Terminal or Walmart has not been found.
Rogers said a significant thunderstorm Saturday struck at about 9-9:15 p.m. and he asked anyone who may have seen someone walking at that time to contact police and it is a critical time for police as it would not be a time that someone would be expected to be walking.
As more time passes, Baylee told the Star-Herald, the family worries more. Baylee told the Star-Herald that one of the family’s biggest concerns is that he may be injured somewhere and unable to get aid. Her husband wouldn’t have left for a long period of time, she said, not having contacted her or his family.
Recently, he was laid off after Blackjewel LLC closed two coal mines in Campbell County. However, he planned on starting a new job on Monday and if the mines re-opened, working both jobs, which family members said remain available. With the ranch work, she said, he would have been working three jobs, showing how hard he worked.

Is he despondent? Why did he leave on foot to travel 221 miles?
As Chance Englebert remains missing, family issues plea to public for help
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Despite rumors to the contrary, Rogers said video footage showing Chance at Western Travel Terminal or Walmart has not been found.
Rogers said a significant thunderstorm Saturday struck at about 9-9:15 p.m. and he asked anyone who may have seen someone walking at that time to contact police and it is a critical time for police as it would not be a time that someone would be expected to be walking.
As more time passes, Baylee told the Star-Herald, the family worries more. Baylee told the Star-Herald that one of the family’s biggest concerns is that he may be injured somewhere and unable to get aid. Her husband wouldn’t have left for a long period of time, she said, not having contacted her or his family.
Recently, he was laid off after Blackjewel LLC closed two coal mines in Campbell County. However, he planned on starting a new job on Monday and if the mines re-opened, working both jobs, which family members said remain available. With the ranch work, she said, he would have been working three jobs, showing how hard he worked.
TY for finding this article, @Vail! I'm a little confused by what by what the Gering Police Captain Rogers said (I got his title from a previous article--this article is behind a paywall for me). I had not heard the rumor that Chance had been seen on video footage at the WTT, just that his phone last pinged in that area. Now I don't know if the last pinging of the phone has been determined or released.

It sounds like Chance was a hard-working young adult, who had just been laid off, was about to start a new job, had his ranch work, and a new baby. This thread reminds me of a thread WS had for a missing man in Texas who had many children (7?), was caring for his parent(s?), and had 2 jobs. I hope they can find Chance soon, and that he is just taking some time out from his daily life.

that last phone location listed on the poster - the WTT... several possibilities from that if true... Wow, I hope he is ok somewhere but this sounds very ominous IMO... Very sad for his family right now, can't imagine. Hope they are getting the help they need.

Well that's interesting...BBM

“We’ve just been trying to give people updates, if we have any,” Baylee said. “We’ve been sharing his photos around. We’ve been asking people if they have seen him. We’ve been passing out fliers, we’ve been hanging up fliers. About everything that we can think to do.”

The fliers are now being circulated on the social media of area law enforcement agencies for the public. The fliers have also been circulated to law enforcement throughout Wyoming, Nebraska and South Dakota.

People have called and provided the family and police with tips, she said; mostly sightings in the Terrytown area seem legitimate. Some people have also told family members they may have information, but don’t want to say anything or be involved, which “is definitely a heartbreaker,” she acknowledged.

As Gering man remains missing, family issues plea to public for help

Wow, this is terrible. I know the Gering/Scottsbluff area, though I haven't been there for a few years. I certainly know the bride and river and YMCA area. My fear is that he may have gone into the river, intentionally or accidentally. The North Platte is running a bit high right now. The fact that his phone's last location was in that area could mean he and the phone went into the water.

Wow, this is terrible. I know the Gering/Scottsbluff area, though I haven't been there for a few years. I certainly know the bride and river and YMCA area. My fear is that he may have gone into the river, intentionally or accidentally. The North Platte is running a bit high right now. The fact that his phone's last location was in that area could mean he and the phone went into the water.
Here is a chart of the North Platte River depth from the last week:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06680500 North Platte River at Scottsbluff, Nebr.

upload_2019-7-13_2-11-21.png

I don't know this river, so I have no idea how dangerous almost 7 feet would be. Are there strong currents in this river? Is the water extremely cold?

Here is a chart of the North Platte River depth from the last week:

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 06680500 North Platte River at Scottsbluff, Nebr.

View attachment 193235

I don't know this river, so I have no idea how dangerous almost 7 feet would be. Are there strong currents in this river? Is the water extremely cold?
It's high fast and cold right now. Warnings have been issued for popular areas of the river for water activities. High Water Levels on North Platte Pose Danger

JUL 8, 2019
Panhandle authorities heighten search for missing Wyoming man
926D7C5C-D347-4F01-9192-5CB9C9E41A2B-300x300.jpeg

• Chance is about 5‘ 9” tall with a medium build
  • Sun-lightened brown hair, mustache, and goatee
  • Last seen wearing a short sleeve Wrangler shirt, jeans, old-school ropers, and a black-and-white trucker cap.
  • He was visiting family Saturday with his wife and new baby when he went out for a walk on O Street in Gering.
  • Attempts to reach him by cell phone or track him by credit card use have been unsuccessful.
  • LE, SAR, and other agencies have searched along the banks of the North Platte River at Avenue I towards the YMCA Trails West Camp.
  • Gering Police Captain Jason Rogers says this particular location was a starting point based on some information they received.
  • Call the Gering Police Department at 308-436-5089 if you have any information.
Gering Police provide update on search for Chance Englebert

Last edited:
JUL 9, 2019
Englebert missing since July 6
Englebert-tsln-071319-1-1024x726.jpg

• He (and wife and baby) were visiting his in-laws in Gering.
  • He lives in Moorcroft, Wyoming with his wife and infant son.
  • The Gering police said he left a home July 6, in Gering at about 7:30 p.m., on foot.
  • He was seen on a business’s surveillance video at about 7:51 at the intersection of 10th Street and Martha Drive.
  • Police say that was Englebert’s last known location.
  • He grew up in the Edgemont, South Dakota area on a ranch near Burdock.
  • He had secured another job in Moorcroft and was scheduled to begin work Monday, July 8, but did not arrive on the job site.
  • Family members say it is very uncharacteristic for him to miss work, particularly on the first day.
  • The family is asking people along the route from Gering to Moorcroft to be on alert for him or any unusual activity.
  • The family has offered a reward of $8,200 for information that leads to his recovery.
  • He is 5'11" tall, medium build. *
*Height differs by 2" from article above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288