Found Safe Canada - Maya Mirota & Marta Malek, both 16, Algonquin Park, 11 July 2019

they've been missing since Thursday! It's Saturday, almost Sunday now!!

maya-mirota-marta-malek-algonquin-park-missing.jpg

Teen girls missing in Algonquin Park
A bit stingy on the info, aren't they? I wonder how Maya knew Marta and why the only description of "Marta"is that she is 6 feet tall? The article doesn't mention a thing about any searches.

Hi im friends with them both. they know dach other and are friends. We all knew each other since we were little. They went missing after they split of with a bigger group. This is at a polish camp for oboz. Aka polish scouts. If you have any questions let me know I’ll try to reply!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how this zoomable map will work if I post a link here, but you can see Rainbow Lake, surrounding trails and camping spots.

Recording - Jun. 29, 03:57 p.m.

Does anyone know if this was a day-trip into the park from their camp, or an overnight camping trip?

The park is very large, but it doesn't seem that they were so far into the park that there wouldn't be a reasonable amount of other hikers, canoeists and campers.

And, luckily the weather has been good over the past few days with highs of 25-26 C and lows of 11-14 C, and little to no rain.

Past Weather in Huntsville, Ontario, Canada — Yesterday or Further Back

Here's a link to a trail map of Algonquin:
Jeff's Algonquin Provincial Park Map
The Western Uplands trail is located off of highway 60 just past the West Gate (near the left side of the map). There's also a less commonly used access point at Rain Lake at the top of the trail.
I've hiked the trail many times - Rainbow Lake is about 20 km's from the hwy 60 trailhead and a bit further from the Rain Lake access point.

Monika, thanks so much for providing more background info as this situation is really gnawing at me (I have a teenage daughter).
It would be good to know which way they were heading when last seen. If they were heading south, the trail is fairly well marked and the terrain gets generally easier the further south you go. There also tends to me more backpackers in the southern section.
If they headed north/northwest, there are a couple of spots where the trail takes a less obvious turn. I really hope that they are somewhere on/near the trail and did not venture too far off. As Snoopster said, the temps have been warm and there's no shortage of water so that's a huge plus for them and I'm hopeful that they will be located soon.

Marta Malek and Maya Mirota, both 16 years old, were reported missing around 10 p.m. on Friday.

An air and ground search commenced at sunrise on Sunday.

An OPP helicopter, a fixed-wing plane from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forest (MNRF), park staff, members from the OPP emergency response team and canine team, MNRF park wardens, and members of the Ontario Search and Rescue Association are all assisting with the search.

Malek and Mirota were last seen on Thursday on the Western Uplands Trail between Rainbow Lake and Susan Lake.

Major search underway for missing Kitchener teenagers in Algonquin Park

image.jpg

The article says that the two girls are experienced campers.

I'm curious as to why they weren't reported missing until late Friday evening. They were last seen at 11:00 am on Thursday.

I am really starting to get worried about these two girls. Hopefully it is just a case of getting lost and holding tight in one spot, waiting to get found.

This trail is fantastic, it has 3 routes all in a loop, a 32, 54 and a 84 kilometer trail. I completed the 32 over 3 days, parts are demanding with elevation changes of 150 feet. My brother and I saw 6 people in mid July 2015 over the entire route, beautiful campsites that are well marked with benches, toilet boxes and firepits at each site. We saw moose and wolf tracks and scat everywhere yet saw no animal's! I would highly recommend this hike and will do it again next summer.

This is a quote from a website where hikers post comments about various trails. I was discouraged to hear that this particular hiker didn't see many other hikers in mid-July. He did say they did the entire loop, which is very long. I presume there are more hikers on the short loop.

Rainbow Lake isn't on the shortest loop unfortunately.

Here's a video of a guy who did a 6-day hike in November. He camped on Rainbow Lake one night. It will give you an idea of the terrain and vegetation of the trail.

'Major' search underway for missing teens in Algonquin Park
"The air and ground searched that started at sunrise Saturday included an OPP helicopter and a fixed-wing plane from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forests.

Meanwhile, the OPP’s emergency response team and sniffer dogs, officers from several local detachments and park wardens and staff were “scouring the area on the ground.”

Volunteers from the Ontario Search and Rescue Association with “specialized training for this type of scenario” were also helping with the ground search"
0715_missing_-w.jpg

Missing 16-year-old girls in Algonquin Park: Maya Mirota Marta Malek OPP handout

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back