NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly! I could not agree more. The only noticeable difference I have seen in the community is that parents aren't letting their kids run around as freely as before. There was a growing group of kids that would get together after school and on weekends and play in the common backyard area and I don't see that happening as often anymore. Though they were loud and at times obnoxious (what group of kids aren't) It was great to see young kids actually outside playing and not stuck inside staring at I pads all day.

Given the lack of interest by the media, silence from the community and LE. The fact that someone on this board called the Plainsboro PD and they referred them to the county for information and abdicated responsibility. That the County Prosecutor has stated they have no suspects or leads and are asking for help and information. That the "heavy" police presence and patrols have stopped. Leads me to believe that overall the decision has been made to just move on.
I would hope that in the case of a homicide investigation, LE is not truly moving on. It's their job to try and solve this case and seek justice. Hopefully they are just not showing their cards but are still actively seeking answers. It's too soon, IMHO, for this case to go cold.

I do feel for you and the apartment and town residents though, with no word from them. I know you would like it to appear that they are taking her murder seriously. As for the "business as usual/ let's have a fun summer" from the office management, that's just wrong. JMO

Exactly! I could not agree more. The only noticeable difference I have seen in the community is that parents aren't letting their kids run around as freely as before. There was a growing group of kids that would get together after school and on weekends and play in the common backyard area and I don't see that happening as often anymore. Though they were loud and at times obnoxious (what group of kids aren't) It was great to see young kids actually outside playing and not stuck inside staring at I pads all day.

Given the lack of interest by the media, silence from the community and LE. The fact that someone on this board called the Plainsboro PD and they referred them to the county for information and abdicated responsibility. That the County Prosecutor has stated they have no suspects or leads and are asking for help and information. That the "heavy" police presence and patrols have stopped. Leads me to believe that overall the decision has been made to just move on.

That's awful. No one should deprive kids of being outdoors. I have a son who is loud playing video games lol. If it was someone in the building they probably wouldn't strike again at the same place (very comforting, right). I don't see how LE or management can just move on. A woman took a lunch break and was killed in her home.

Not at all. It's like nothing happened. I even just got an email from the leasing office about Hot Dog day.

Stop by the Leasing Office today after 12 pm and enjoy a hot dog for National Hot Dog Day!
We will have Beef, Turkey, Chicken and Veggie Hot Dogs!
1 hot dog per person
**while supplies lasts**

I'm actually starting to get angry about this. This isn't normal and it shouldn't be business as usual. If they want to send us cute stuff there should at least be some form of communication signaling that in order to help with the unease of the community they will try to get back to normal or SOMETHING. From the input of some of the other people in the area we could potentially have the killer(s?) living among us and they are acting like it's no big deal. I feel like the Plainsboro police have moved on from this since the County is now in charge of the investigation and they aren't concerned anymore.

Free food does not make murder go away. The complex would be smart to add cameras talk about safety (not hotdogs) because one murder you can say is an isolated incident, two is on you (as in the building).

Still no answers? Sigh.

Sometimes I just don't get it--I understand LE being silent, but there is no media interest, etc. I guess if they have nothing to report then that explains it but do they even ask?

Jmo.
I may contact an investigative reporter, as mentioned by a member. There have been no replies to my emails to the police or mayor.

Free food does not make murder go away. The complex would be smart to add cameras talk about safety (not hotdogs) because one murder you can say is an isolated incident, two is on you (as in the building).
It’s such a big complex with some areas off the main road. I am very surprised they don’t have security cameras.

Not at all. It's like nothing happened. I even just got an email from the leasing office about Hot Dog day.

Stop by the Leasing Office today after 12 pm and enjoy a hot dog for National Hot Dog Day!
We will have Beef, Turkey, Chicken and Veggie Hot Dogs!
1 hot dog per person
**while supplies lasts**

I'm actually starting to get angry about this. This isn't normal and it shouldn't be business as usual. If they want to send us cute stuff there should at least be some form of communication signaling that in order to help with the unease of the community they will try to get back to normal or SOMETHING. From the input of some of the other people in the area we could potentially have the killer(s?) living among us and they are acting like it's no big deal. I feel like the Plainsboro police have moved on from this since the County is now in charge of the investigation and they aren't concerned anymore.
Sorry I have been MIA, but I took a break for a few days due to all the pop ups I was receiving.
When I received that email I wanted to write back , “It’s hard to enjoy National Hot Dog Day when a murderer is lurking in our community “

Sorry I have been MIA, but I took a break for a few days due to all the pop ups I was receiving.
When I received that email I wanted to write back , “It’s hard to enjoy National Hot Dog Day when a murderer is lurking in our community “
Hopefully the popups are done. I checked info about them and said it was related to WS and not our devices, but particularly troublesome for mobile online. I was away and using only a phone and had trouble with them for a couple days.

Definitely hard to appreciate cookies and hotdogs (even free) when a homicide has been committed and not yet solved, nor info forthcoming. I'm sorry for the stress you who live there must be dealing with.

I did see a police car driving through the development yesterday.

Also, in regard to the children not playing outside as much, I thought the same but then I was told by a neighbor that many of the Indian children go on vacation during the summer to visit their relatives in India.

I did see a police car driving through the development yesterday.

Also, in regard to the children not playing outside as much, I thought the same but then I was told by a neighbor that many of the Indian children go on vacation during the summer to visit their relatives in India.

That makes sense. Trips to India are usually month long excursions too so it definitely would explain a lot. My neighbor upstairs has a young daughter who loves recreating the wildebeast stampede from the lion king as often as she can. (Or at least that's what it sounds like every day) And she was apart of that group so I have a pretty good idea when they are out and about. Lately she's only been allowed to ride her bike in the common area between the apartments where she can easily be seen and heard so I figured a lot of the other kids were under similar restrictions.

And the leasing agency really is tone deaf but as @ilovechili said this is more than likely a decision made to save face and direct the PR narrative that everything is safe here and not hinder them making money on new leases.

I feel like the leasing office may just be clueless. I don't know if it's a deliberate decision to save face and work on PR, or just little minions looking at the calendar and having to churn out their next little resident event. But definitely tone deaf. There is often so much turnover in those jobs, I don't think you always get the most seasoned, professional, corporate savvy people in those positions - just in my personal experience.

The victim's family has kept a very low profile and hasn't been talking or issuing all out bulletins asking for help which is the one thing that makes me think there is more involved to this case than is being shared with the public. It makes me think that this terrible murder was more targeted. I still think (hope!) the police know more about why and how she was lured home, and that's dictating some of the silence, as unsettling as it is. And of course, that there have been no arrests or further info is unusual.

I can tell people from a personal experience that it often is true a crime is being investigated when you think LE has simply dropped the ball. In my experience it was due entirely to a wait on certain types of test results. It was a total shock to many when charges were announced as months had passed. It, however, was not a whodunit like this one is.

I can't say for sure what is going on here or with this department but I will say such does happen and I think it is fairly common (even though with every case here if one gets quiet I am the first to think nothing is being done lol--it is hard not to worry about it). It is too bad though there can't be a balance of talking with concerned residents and the public while not hindering any investigation. LE is one thing, the apartment complex though is another... As is the lack of media.

I guess they may just want the perp to feel secure and have no clue while a case is put together...?

It stands out to me too, as said above, that her family does not seem to be seeking media and asking for information from people or for anyone who may have seen anything.

Jmo.

Haven't been able to read on here all week but very sorry to see nothing new has been announced.. Only read a few posts so far and seriously the leasing office with their national cookie and hot dog day announcements...all the while ignoring residents concerns about a murder that took place on their property just weeks earlier...seems to be insensitive to me. They want to retain their residents and not lose business..so it is 'business as usual to them'. I am sorry to hear police/mayor have not gotten back to residents with any answers. I agree going to an investigative reporter would be good idea. And yes- the quietness from family and others does make you wonder if police know this was a very targeted crime. In an area where there have been only 3 murders and you have lots of single, working women living alone.. Wouldn't there have been more of a warning to nearby residents given?

I simply have no idea on this case anymore. I am just praying for justice for Carolyn very soon.

I received a reply to my email to the Plainsboro Police. They indicated that sharing details might impact the outcome so they are not in a position to share information with the public. MCPO is now in charge of the investigation. In the Fall they will have community events to educate the public with topics I suggested.
I also sent an email to an investigative journalist.

One thing I was thinking is that we really don't know anything about this girl or her personal or private life. We have no reason why she was targeted and if it was random or not. Her family may also have their own reasons for wanting to keep privacy around the circumstances of her death, beyond just an investigation. Just thoughts and speculation on my part, but unless the family is urging for more exposure, it seems that this is not a case they want to share details about.

One thing I was thinking is that we really don't know anything about this girl or her personal or private life. We have no reason why she was targeted and if it was random or not. Her family may also have their own reasons for wanting to keep privacy around the circumstances of her death, beyond just an investigation. Just thoughts and speculation on my part, but unless the family is urging for more exposure, it seems that this is not a case they want to share details about.

Revealing too much can threaten a case. Or freak someone out if they are a suspect and don't know it yet. The apartment not addressing it at all kind of seems tone deaf to the situation. Even if they just told residents to lock doors and be aware of their surroundings. Confirm with a company or the building if someone is putting in cable or doing maintenance work. It's practical but sometimes living closely to others you forget you are alone or that the same rules should be followed as if you live in a single family home in the middle of nowhere.

And now we've gone from cookies and Hot dogs to a full blown pool party.

Hunters Glen Annual Pool Party will be on August 17th from 1 pm - 4 pm
* Rain date will be August 18th *

Come and stay cool in the pool!
  • Food
  • Music
  • Games
  • Cotton Candy
  • Icees
  • Raffle Prizes
  • Loads of Fun!
Please click on the link below to RSVP!

To my recollection there has never been a pool party here before. Please correct me if I'm wrong to any of the other Hunters Glen residents but this has become beyond ridiculous at this point. If I hadn't just renewed my lease in May I would start looking to move. If this was my sister or girlfriend or friend who was murdered in her apartment and the development sent out pool party invitations to residents just over one month after her death with no suspects even named I would be livid!

• Food
  • Music
  • Games
  • Cotton Candy
  • Icees
  • Raffle Prizes
  • Loads of Fun!

To my recollection there has never been a pool party here before. Please correct me if I'm wrong to any of the other Hunters Glen residents but this has become beyond ridiculous at this point. If I hadn't just renewed my lease in May I would start looking to move. If this was my sister or girlfriend or friend who was murdered in her apartment and the development sent out pool party invitations to residents just over one month after her death with no suspects even named I would be livid!

Sounds like a full out PR campaign in progress to me. What fun we have here, look at all of the things we do for you, except address the situation and install cameras, smh... I suppose they hope people will go to work and say wow, what a pool party we had at our complex and others will think wow, that sounds like a great fun place and they will want to go rent there too... I sure hope they don't hold a murder mystery night next... Lame attempt at sarcasm/humor...

I personally would not want to come together with all of the other residents not knowing which one, if any, did this nor what their motive was...

Sorry to knock the complex but wow...

Jmo.

Why not go to the pool party with flyers about security cameras to share with the residents and maybe create a grassroots movement to force the company to install security cameras?
With so little news on this story, is it possible there are residents that are unaware that a beautiful young girl was murdered in their community?

• Food
  • Music
  • Games
  • Cotton Candy
  • Icees
  • Raffle Prizes
  • Loads of Fun!

Actually, the previous management company did have pool parties/ barbecues but they weren’t very good.

I don’t think this management company is doing this as a PR campaign because they have held activities before Carolyn was killed. I just think it’s insensitive at this time.
As Ilovechili suggested, I have no desire to hang out at a pool party with a possible killer among the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks