Are these guys a threat?

Long after the cameras are gone, the vast majority of people convicted in online stings in the region get little or no jail time - regardless of whether they are arrested by Perverted Justice and publicized on "Dateline NBC" or nabbed in a lower-profile bust by local police.

Interactive: Meet 46 online predators

So basically, the program is all for show. :(

Of course, I wonder if these guys re-offend? I'm sure there are plenty of pervs to replace them.

JMHO
fran

Of course, I wonder if these guys re-offend? I'm sure there are plenty of pervs to replace them.

JMHO
fran
That's what I thought, too. Really is sad to think a show would do all that just for ratings. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Gee ,Paris HIlton got more time than some of them.

What exactly is 'shadowy' about Perverted Justice? And, they weren't paid to lure anyone. Try to protect children and get blasted.... nice....

That's what I thought, too. Really is sad to think a show would do all that just for ratings. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Why is that sad? Shouldn't shows like that get high ratings? Shouldn't everyone know the kind of perverts that try to meet children... our children? And how they try to meet them?

I work closely with detectives who work sex crimes and they cannot stand the to catch a predator show. They say it does more harm than good. It arms predators with too much information about how they bust these sickos.

One of the best things that has come out with the show is that it puts the info in the parents hands. Let's face it, for many people sex crimes happen in other cities and towns and neighborhoods. Most parents allow their kids to roam and to use the computer unsupervised. But when they see the show, it does hit home that it can happen in their town, and it can happen to their child. Just maybe they are more alert, just maybe they are more protective and at the very least they will be quicker to recognize it.

One of the best things that has come out with the show is that it puts the info in the parents hands. Let's face it, for many people sex crimes happen in other cities and towns and neighborhoods. Most parents allow their kids to roam and to use the computer unsupervised. But when they see the show, it does hit home that it can happen in their town, and it can happen to their child. Just maybe they are more alert, just maybe they are more protective and at the very least they will be quicker to recognize it.

Well said. I'm not a fan of these shows and I think they are out for ratings blood and border on being illegal (there's a lengthy thread somewhere here devoted to them), BUT I do think that they bring the idea of child predators into people's consciousness and that is not a bad thing.

Dateline has no control over what the court system decides to do with those creeps. They expose them (sometimes literally :) ) and the law takes over after that. I don't think it's reasonable to blame Dateline for their light sentences.

Normally, Perverted Justice gets all these sickos, and they are all too often just let off, criminally. I think To Catch a Predator did a great job, getting some prosecuted (every single one is hopefully several fewer molested children), waking up parents to this danger. So many people thought it wouldn't happen in their neighborhood, or that it was only obvious sleazeballs.

They will reoffend because they are sexual predators. There is no cure for that type of sexual perversion. If To Catch A Predator did nothing more than make parents aware of the dangers of the internet then I think it did its job.

JMHO
fran

Hi Fran,

I'm not taking up for anyone but the problem would be with the judicial end, not the television producers/program, or the law enforcement group(s) who do the arrest.

This type problem is very prevalent in arrests even when they aren't on television. Knowing the outcomes from the men arrested on this program provides a great opportunity encouraging us to write our local and state officials, complaining about the condition of the judicial system. (Of course they are going to come back and say the jails are overcrowded and the populace won't support the needed tax increases to provide cells for all offenders.)

It's a bad situation. Somebody needs to fix it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back