CA CA - Derek Seehausen, 26, USC med student, Glendale, 5 Aug 2014

Just saw this online, and if you read through the whole thing, you'll see DS mentioned by this Mom. Very sad to read, and regardless of what happened with DS, I'm glad I did read this/I also read all the comments:

Suicide censorship? Grieving mom speaks out. | Pamela Wible MD

Unfortunately, there seems to be a conspiracy of silence at most professional schools...it's sad, because it makes it hard for students to seek help. One my friends started med school at the same time I started law school, and we would commiserate about how grueling the workload could be. I started having issues with depression my second year, but I didn't want to seek help because I was afraid to would come back at me later. When you go through the registration process for the bar exam, they ask if you're under treatment for any mental illness and if you take medication to control it. (I did end up getting treatment and got through the rest of law school with no issues.) It was far worse for my friend in med school. I went through three years of law school, passed the bar, and started earning a nice paycheck. He had to go through four years of med school, then another four years of residency, all while making practically no money. Halfway through he started seriously questioning his career choice, but felt like he had to stick it out because he had so many student loans. He actually used to joke about fleeing to Mexico so the student loan people wouldn't be able to find him. I can't help but wonder if Derek was dealing with similar issues.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a conspiracy of silence at most professional schools...it's sad, because it makes it hard for students to seek help. One my friends started med school at the same time I started law school, and we would commiserate about how grueling the workload could be. I started having issues with depression my second year, but I didn't want to seek help because I was afraid to would come back at me later. When you go through the registration process for the bar exam, they ask if you're under treatment for any mental illness and if you take medication to control it. (I did end up getting treatment and got through the rest of law school with no issues.) It was far worse for my friend in med school. I went through three years of law school, passed the bar, and started earning a nice paycheck. He had to go through four years of med school, then another four years of residency, all while making practically no money. Halfway through he started seriously questioning his career choice, but felt like he had to stick it out because he had so many student loans. He actually used to joke about fleeing to Mexico so the student loan people wouldn't be able to find him. I can't help but wonder if Derek was dealing with similar issues.

My empathy, for your friend's experience as a medical student... and I also feel for your pressures related to law school too -- but I'm especially concerned for all the med students who are not granted reasonable expectations, nor shown a degree of mercy, as it's an ongoing issue of lack of sleep/pushed beyond measure/financial stressors. I'm not shocked by it, as I have many medical people in my own family/among friends... but it's just disheartening to see, again and again, that this continues to go on.

It's just flat-out wrong and such selfishness and heartlessness hypocrisy, in the medical profession (money-related, to be sure, as most things of this nature are).

I wish we, the public, knew how to voice our outrage about it -- to help affect some real change. How many med students need to die via suicide -- develop depression/anxiety/other mental health issues -- and just plain give up on their passion?

For me, one is too many. It really is a SHAME.

I think DS probably committed suicide... but I prefer to think of him Mexico, with a new life that didn't make him feel like he was being strangled. I guess today is not my day for sugar-coating.

I'm sorry, to all who go through this. You deserve better.

Ok I don't know if anyone here is in Washington but he might have been sighted in CHAZ. I'm gonna post a link to the video if I can.

Here's the best picture I could get of it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200620-044117.jpg
    Screenshot_20200620-044117.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 82
I'll keep you updated. I'm putting as much time as possible into this. There's also a lot of people on tiktok who are now spreading the word also. Thank you for your support.

Thanks for the update!

Derek is 6 feet tall I believe. It's hard to judge because the guy in the photo isn't standing up straight but he doesn't look that tall compared to the shopping cart. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though!

Has anyone checked with Greyhound?
Their Partner Facilities are often times convenience stores.
Even then I am pretty sure you could board a Greyhound/purchase a ticket without an ID, but their site states, they require ID. I traveled by Greyhound and seems like i found this not to be the case.

I wonder what signs might point to running off the Mexico? I don't know much about border crossing in that direction, but I imagine it could be pretty easy?

Not to long ago, remains were discovered just up the way from where he was last spotted, close to bus stop. It was thought he may have caught a bus at that location. I’m mobile now, but will look for article this evening.

Derek Adam Seehausen – The Charley Project

Last updated July 13, 2021; details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Seehausen was last seen by a friend in Glendale, California at 9:00 p.m. on August 5, 2014. He had spent the evening with friends, then left them, saying he had to get up early the next morning for work. He withdrew $200 in cash from an ATM in Los Angeles at approximately 10:30 p.m. It's unusual of him to carry that much cash. After using the ATM, he went to a supermarket and bought milk and cereal.

At 11:54 p.m. he used his smart phone to make a payment to a friend for $2,999. The friend had loaned him the money for school tuition, and Seehausen wasn't supposed to pay him back until after he graduated. He was last seen at 12:02 a.m. on August 6, walking northbound on Alvarado Street. This is the last sign of him. The friend he'd repaid texted him later in the morning to ask why he'd repaid the debt early, but Seehausen didn't respond.

When he missed his medical school classes later in the week, his friends contacted his parents in Pennsylvania, who called the police after they were unable to get in touch with him. Police went to his apartment and found no indication of foul play; it appeared he'd simply left.

His keys, phone, wallet and laptop computer were still inside the apartment, but his state identification card wasn't in his wallet, and neither was the cash he'd withdrawn from the ATM. The milk and cereal he'd purchased on the night of her disappearance were also in the apartment. The cereal box had been opened but the milk hadn't been.

At the time of his disappearance, Seehausen was in his fourth year as a student at the University of Southern California's medical school. He was an excellent student and had decided to specialize in the field of anesthesiology. In his free time he liked outdoor pursuits such as hiking, surfing and scuba diving. He wasn't carrying his passport at the time of his disappearance, and there's no evidence he was involved with drugs.

According to his family, Seehausen had no prior history of mental illness or trouble in his life and had not given any indication that he was unhappy with his life. Investigators are not sure what happened to him and his case remains unsolved.

The Mysterious Disappearance of Derek Seehausen

Aug 5
9pm- left group of friends
10:33pm- used ATM and bought cereal & milk
11:34pm- left his apartment; stopped by a friend’s house to return a key & left immediately going back to his apartment
11:54pm- used an app to pay his friend back $ that was loaned to him
11:55pm- caught walking down Sunset Boulevard.
12:02am- last time he is seen on surveillance footage walking down Alvarado Street

To Note: very thorough article, IMO

The Mysterious Disappearance of Derek Seehausen

Aug 5
9pm- left group of friends
10:33pm- used ATM and bought cereal & milk
11:34pm- left his apartment; stopped by a friend’s house to return a key & left immediately going back to his apartment
11:54pm- used an app to pay his friend back $ that was loaned to him
11:55pm- caught walking down Sunset Boulevard.
12:02am- last time he is seen on surveillance footage walking down Alvarado Street

To Note: very thorough article, IMO

And to add to your final point, it would have taken him 6-7 minutes to reach the next surveillance camera on Alvarado, but he never made it that far.

He presumably had $200 cash and his ID card on him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back