NJ - Carolyn Byington, 26, killed inside her home, Plainsboro, 10 June 2019 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the previous management company did have pool parties/ barbecues but they weren’t very good.

I don’t think this management company is doing this as a PR campaign because they have held activities before Carolyn was killed. I just think it’s insensitive at this time.
As Ilovechili suggested, I have no desire to hang out at a pool party with a possible killer among the group.
Yikes! That's a scary thought. And one to ponder for sure.

Some things might be different if even one resident saw something odd that day and reported it -- a service truck nearby, someone got out of her car with her, someone who hid in her car, or someone who went in the apt. with her, or who was hanging around, etc., etc.

LE is pretty smart -- sometimes one little detail and a time of the event can help so much.

I just looked at the date she died--June 10th. It is now July 22nd, not a hint, not a word that they have a single clue or suspect.

They certainly do not seem to be canvassing the apartment complex so if they are hard at work on it, the focus must be elsewhere or hopefully on someone in particular...

They must be doing something I would imagine...

Sigh...

Thread has become quiet as we expected...

Jmo.

it's extremely quiet now. Apparently life is back to "normal." On my way to work this morning I noticed a young woman jogging alone and another riding a bike across the street. I would think it's safe to say that the sense of dread some of us who are posting here feel isn't shared with the rest of our neighbors. I just can't believe a young woman was murdered in her apartment with little to no answers and life just goes on.

Someone mentioned earlier that we don't know her and she could have potentially been involved in something (illegal) that led to her murder. That would explain the silence of the police and the family and involvement of the FBI but I just find that hard to believe given what we do know so far.

it's extremely quiet now. Apparently life is back to "normal." On my way to work this morning I noticed a young woman jogging alone and another riding a bike across the street. I would think it's safe to say that the sense of dread some of us who are posting here feel isn't shared with the rest of our neighbors. I just can't believe a young woman was murdered in her apartment with little to no answers and life just goes on.

Someone mentioned earlier that we don't know her and she could have potentially been involved in something (illegal) that led to her murder. That would explain the silence of the police and the family and involvement of the FBI but I just find that hard to believe given what we do know so far.

Definitely still a sense of dread here... constantly checking locks and doors and setting our alarm 24/7. Imagining noises in the night...

Definitely still a sense of dread here... constantly checking locks and doors and setting our alarm 24/7. Imagining noises in the night...
It's a shame we have to do it, but the old adage still applies -- "safe is better than sorry" -- This is when you want that big man-eating dog who would even scare Santa Claus off your property.
But as we know, bad things do happen, and some of the bad people target people who are foolishly careless.
And one more thing,

Welcome to Websleuths,
Seahorse03 !!

Sorry to see here still not a word from LE. Yes, it is hard to believe how fast life just goes on as normal for some. I have catching up to do.. not sure what the Panera post was about. From what I read about Carolyn I would be shocked if she were involved in something illegal. I know what everybody means about the silence though... It is strange. I would think there would be 'reward fliers' hanging around the neighborhood by now.

the reason that this does not seem random is because she went back to her apt- that seems to mean that the attacker knew her or knew of her, even if she was unaware of the attacker. unless this was the weirdest coincidence, the attacker knew her, knew where she lived, knew a way to get her to go back home, knew how to contact her... it does not seem like a random attack and no items of obvious value were taken, so not a break in and robbery.

Yes- I tend to think this is why LE thinks she was 'lured back'. What are the chances of just randomly going home one day at lunch (which co-workers said she did not usually ever do), and find someone robbing your apartment or get followed inside in broad daylight. They have to know a whole lot more than they are saying...especially with the FBI involved.. I really do believe that now.

I don't necessarily think she could have been involved in something illegal. Just that are so many unknown factors. We know so little. Was it done by an amateur? Was it a professional hit? Was she a witness in some kind of case? Could she have known something or seen something that someone wanted to silence her for some unknown reason? Was it part of something bigger? Was she duped by someone she thought she knew? Or just your average sicko who targeted her for no other reason than she somehow crossed paths. I don't even have any thoughts on what it could be - all just random speculations. I do tend to think if LE felt the local community was at risk, they would have put out more info and press conferences and asked for more help from the community. But who knows - I can't get the case out of my head either - I keep checking back here.

There are some guys that get obsessed without being an ex or even a person you've dated. The guys that create a fantasy about you and your relationship with them are scarier than a jilted ex or someone that acts overly interested. You might say hi to a guy in passing or think of them as a friend, coworker, friend of a friend, and not realize they have a fictional relationship with you. It's also really hard to live up to someone's made-up idea of you. I only experienced a guy like this once but it was a scary weird experience. I was lucky the guy lived about a 1000 miles away. That helped some.

This is so true. And very often, there is a bit of a stigma around being stalked and a hesitancy to tell anyone about it IMO. Especially for someone who is reserved and kept to herself (as MSM has implied Carolyn did), there can be a reluctancy to acknowledge it because there is a worry they sound like they are saying something like “oh I’m so great, I have some random guy that is obsessed with me”. If that makes sense. With the stalker angle, it’s quite possible, IMO, she did have her suspicions and felt on edge enough to make sure her apartment was locked or wanted concrete proof someone had been in her apartment (maybe she noticed things moved around or missing) and caught said person in her apartment. Just MO and thinking of all possibilities. Like many, I go back and forth between someone she knew or someone who was unknown to her.

With so little news on this story, is it possible there are residents that are unaware that a beautiful young girl was murdered in their community?

I am at a hotel less than ten minutes away from her apartment complex because my job sent me here to do some additional training. I was watching TV in the break room with some of the hotel employees, and there was a news story about someone being murdered. I mentioned Carolyn and they had no clue what I was talking about. These are people who not only work in the area, but live close too. They reiterated the sentiment of Plainsboro being a safe and nice town, and were shocked. The case is so silent. I can’t help but wonder (hopefully LE has their reasons for keeping this tight-lipped, but them asking for the public’s help makes me worry that’s not the case) if there was more media surrounding this and people in the surrounding towns knew about it, if that would help move the case along. It is just so silent.

Just to add about the lack of security cameras, I work at a place that, when a new management company came in, took out all the cameras that were installed by the previous management company. They did this because of liability and pretty much avoiding the duty to act if they saw something (this is just what I’ve heard from employees that worked there before the new management). That brings a whole legal aspect to it. They were not going to employ security to monitor the cameras 24/7 and even if they did, they could miss something. I don’t agree with it, and it really doesn’t make sense to me, but they spent a lot of money removing the cameras and any structural evidence of them being there, so there might be something to that. So while it’s easy to think “just instal security cameras” (which would totally be my thinking too and I would want them somewhere I lived), there are factors like the above that, IMO, would go into a management company or property owners decision to get cameras or not.

Just to add about the lack of security cameras, I work at a place that, when a new management company came in, took out all the cameras that were installed by the previous management company. They did this because of liability and pretty much avoiding the duty to act if they saw something (this is just what I’ve heard from employees that worked there before the new management). That brings a whole legal aspect to it. They were not going to employ security to monitor the cameras 24/7 and even if they did, they could miss something. I don’t agree with it, and it really doesn’t make sense to me, but they spent a lot of money removing the cameras and any structural evidence of them being there, so there might be something to that. So while it’s easy to think “just instal security cameras” (which would totally be my thinking too and I would want them somewhere I lived), there are factors like the above that, IMO, would go into a management company or property owners decision to get cameras or not.

I understand the liability factor and not wanting cameras on you 24/7 as a resident. Cameras can be used against you, or watched by a gossipy maintenance person. In the building I'm in, I think they just have them in the communal areas. Most of the time. probably 99% of what is captured on camera isn't murder.

This is so true. And very often, there is a bit of a stigma around being stalked and a hesitancy to tell anyone about it IMO. Especially for someone who is reserved and kept to herself (as MSM has implied Carolyn did), there can be a reluctancy to acknowledge it because there is a worry they sound like they are saying something like “oh I’m so great, I have some random guy that is obsessed with me”. If that makes sense. With the stalker angle, it’s quite possible, IMO, she did have her suspicions and felt on edge enough to make sure her apartment was locked or wanted concrete proof someone had been in her apartment (maybe she noticed things moved around or missing) and caught said person in her apartment. Just MO and thinking of all possibilities. Like many, I go back and forth between someone she knew or someone who was unknown to her.

I am at a hotel less than ten minutes away from her apartment complex because my job sent me here to do some additional training. I was watching TV in the break room with some of the hotel employees, and there was a news story about someone being murdered. I mentioned Carolyn and they had no clue what I was talking about. These are people who not only work in the area, but live close too. They reiterated the sentiment of Plainsboro being a safe and nice town, and were shocked. The case is so silent. I can’t help but wonder (hopefully LE has their reasons for keeping this tight-lipped, but them asking for the public’s help makes me worry that’s not the case) if there was more media surrounding this and people in the surrounding towns knew about it, if that would help move the case along. It is just so silent.

I get hotels not wanting advertise a murder happened near by but if you bring it up and no one has heard of it that's weird. Hopefully they suspect someone no longer in town. That isn't comforting news to other areas. Even if you don't release details it doesn't hurt to be reminded to lock doors use a chain lock or a rubber door stop too. I just realized I need to lock my door.
The other thing with a stalker is you don't want to be the "hysterical" woman that swears someone has entered their house or logged into emails or violated some part of their life without proof. Feeling like someone is watching you unfortunately isn't hard evidence, even though your gut probably isn't wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member