CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's a house-to-house search. I think going house to house means LE will be knocking on doors and talking to people. To search, you need a warrant, right?

jmo

Not if people invite you in. If they refuse in these circumstances, it’s an indication of a problem. Luckily, with grass now legal, nobody will be worried about a bag lying around :)

Edit: The police statement talks about canvassing, not searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically Im saying I agree it seems to be unsubstantiated, sensationalist, speculation, but wondering what it being 'debunked' entails and if you have some opinion or evidence regarding it so I can put the unlikely scenario aside

Regina police said they don't believe it's connected and the RCMP haven't mentioned it at all. Crime in Regina is not that rare either. The reference to a mother living in Regina is in a tweet from some random guy - if you check his twitter, he isn't a journalist or LE or any official, verifiable source. The account is a month old and it's a generic name followed by 8 random numbers. The only other person talking about a mom in Regina is another account with a generic name followed up 8 random numbers, created this month.

The Australian article Mystery intensifies during hunt for highway murder suspects is a mishmash of sources (sometimes they quote other news outlets like CBC) and they've posted pictures without proper attribution 'Source: Vancouver news video grab').

A local newspaper reported the RCMP did not believe the incident was linked to McLeod and Schmegelsky’s alleged murder spree but observers have pointed out the RCMP initially failed to link the teens to the two crime scenes or the crime scenes to each other.

Others have speculated police are withholding information from the public to prevent tipping the suspects off.

Observers? Others? They aren't putting names out, they could be picking out a random person from Brisbane they found on the streets for all we know.

“There’s a CN (Canadian National Railway) line that passes through Gillam and right past where the burnt Rav4 was found,” Canadian archaeologist Tyler Cantwell told news.com.au in a message.

“My pure speculation — but it’s what I would do — is that they hopped on the back of a train and headed back West.”

Who the hell is Tyler Cantwell? What does being an archaeologist have to do with anything? Again, for all we know this guy works in Halifax and has never been west of Montreal.

I know I'm being harsh, but this is exactly what is meant when people say you need to watch out for fake news and vet sources. You need to verify the people in an article are qualified to make the statements they say. Social media rumours ruin lives. People panic as soon as they read anything regardless of the source and it fuels the fires. Reputable news agencies don't sensationalize and don't aim to be the most salacious but the most accurate. The more juicy an article is, the more likely it isn't telling the whole truth, especially when other news agencies aren't reporting with reputable sources.

I don't think it's a house-to-house search. I think going house to house means LE will be knocking on doors and talking to people. To search, you need a warrant, right?

jmo
Yes exactly. They can only do a search without a warrant under extreme circumstances. I think they may also be making sure the suspects aren’t keeping anyone in a hostage type scenario or hiding out around someones house. Besides they aren’t searching, they are going door to door.

Last edited:
Basically, the RCMP are leaving open the possibility that someone gave them a lift to Thompson or further, but is afraid to come forward for fear of getting mixed up in this (worried about being seen as a possible accessory after the fact).
Or someone who is no friend of the police, which is not uncommon.
But even for a crime of opportunity ...unless their main motive was just to kill them they could have easily created a "better opportunity" for money/food/vehicle/etc. If your car "breaks down" on some lonely deserted Canadian highway you'd have your pick of good Samaritans to rob, LF & CD had people stop on that exact highway to help them hours earlier.

This is where it just gets impossible to logic in what is the purpose for the first killing or reason that it was those 2?? They can't have been the first people they bumped into in seclusion, don't seem like the type to have pushed them into a murderous rage, don't appear to have items of high value.....
I don't know, it's very puzzling. My only speculation right now was they'd created a fantasy scenario where they were ruthless outlaw killers, and this was where they worked up the courage to make the fantasy real. My thoughts may change at any moment.

Not if people invite you in. If they refuse in these circumstances, it’s an indication of a problem.
I wonder how hospitable the locals are there ? Seems like a really remote ares where one would go to recluse themselves .. just to be away from people if no other reason . I’d think twice before inviting LE into my home for them to snoop around and I don’t have anything to hide . What if someone had a still (sp) it’s a dry area from what Ive read .

I believe if homeowners approve you can go in and look around. If they refuse, a warrant is needed. jmo.
If they go inside with permission, that's not the same as going out with the purpose of conducting searches at every house. ykwim. Just making sure we all know what is happening.

I do hope they look inside because someone could be hiding in a basement, garage, shed, camper, etc without the resident even knowing. I also hope the movement of LE in the area will flush them out.

If they aren't already gone...which...I kinda think....they are.

jmo

Regina police said they don't believe it's connected and the RCMP haven't mentioned it at all. Crime in Regina is not that rare either. The reference to a mother living in Regina is in a tweet from some random guy - if you check his twitter, he isn't a journalist or LE or any official, verifiable source. The account is a month old and it's a generic name followed by 8 random numbers. The only other person talking about a mom in Regina is another account with a generic name followed up 8 random numbers, created this month.

The Australian article Mystery intensifies during hunt for highway murder suspects is a mishmash of sources (sometimes they quote other news outlets like CBC) and they've posted pictures without proper attribution 'Source: Vancouver news video grab').

Observers? Others? They aren't putting names out, they could be picking out a random person from Brisbane they found on the streets for all we know.

Who the hell is Tyler Cantwell? What does being an archaeologist have to do with anything? Again, for all we know this guy works in Halifax and has never been west of Montreal.

I know I'm being harsh, but this is exactly what is meant when people say you need to watch out for fake news and vet sources. You need to verify the people in an article are qualified to make the statements they say. Social media rumours ruin lives. People panic as soon as they read anything regardless of the source and it fuels the fires. Reputable news agencies don't sensationalize and don't aim to be the most salacious but the most accurate. The more juicy an article is, the more likely it isn't telling the whole truth, especially when other news agencies aren't reporting with reputable sources.

THANK YOU, exactly what I was asking for

I wonder how hospitable the locals are there ? Seems like a really remote ares where one would go to recluse themselves .. just to be away from people if no other reason . I’d think twice before inviting LE into my home for them to snoop around and I don’t have anything to hide . What if someone had a still (sp) it’s a dry area from what Ive read .

I have no doubt that residents will co-operate. This has become a big hassle and threat for them.

Gillam is not dry. Having cannabis is legal. The police will make it clear that they are not looking for minor problems.

It isn’t even clear that the police want to do actual searches.

Edit: The police statement talks about canvassing, not searching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no doubt that residents will co-operate. This has become a big hassle and threat for them.

Gillam is not dry. Growing cannabis is legal. The police will make it clear that they are not looking for minor problems.
Growing cannabis is not legal in Manitoba. It is in other parts of the country, but not there.

I think if they have any indication of what's going on, which I'm sure they do, they won't be burning any more vehicles because it just marks their trail.. and they probably regret burning the last one because it gave away their location badly. Probably thought no one would see it up there in a secluded area like Gillam, that or they're purposely playing a "catch me if you can" type of game. Another thing about Manitoba is it is rife with ticks that can make a person very ill, carrying diseases like Lyme disease. Ticks would be rampant in those areas, among other sickening bugs and dangerous wildlife. As I've said though, I have a hard time believing they're still in the area. They had plenty of time to leave before people would have been looking for them out there.

To be fair, plenty of people that live in rural areas or out in the country/on farms have licensed guns. Lots of people in those areas hunt as well. Most Canadians are not armed, but a lot are. If these guys are on foot in the forest carrying around guns for days.. they must be completely exhausted. I'm starting to really think they're not out there. But LE has to have reasons to be looking so extensively out there. I wonder what we'll learn in the press conference today. Hopefully more than the same stuff they repeated in the ten minute one last time..
jmo

This was in relation to the Alaska Highway. Yes, people who live along the Alaska Highway usually own a rifle for hunting, at minimum. I lived in this area, and people were shocked that I didn't own one. Every husband and wife had one each. "But where do you get your meat?" "At Safeway." I digress.

However, for tourists travelling the highway, not so much. If you watch border security TV shows, American travellers are often caught trying to take guns, handguns, autimatic guns, etc. across the border for their trip to Alaska. Those guns are seized. The Alberta plates may have been like a neon sign to those two, flashing, "Hey, peeps, we're toutists and we have no guns." Same with LD's Rav4. That's a city dweller vehicle, and it probably had a Vancouver dealership sticker. Again, city people? Very likely no guns. If thrill killing, they would have chosen carefully for the thrill of the hunt.

K9 Advantix II repels everything that bites. You can't put DEET on a dog because it is toxic and they lick themselves.
Vectra 3d does as well. It's what we use. There are a few choices for the dogs so that is good! Worse case I know there are some horse sprays that can be applied to dogs to help repel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288