Found Safe WV - Gracelynn Scritchfield, 4, abducted by 'Trey' Hetrick, 6 July 2019 *vehicle spotted in Arizona

- Keep Searching -

- Day Nineteen -

West Virginia State Police:
West Virginia State Police

National Center for Missing & Exploited Children # 1364092:
Have you seen this child? GRACELYNN SCRITCHFIELD
^^^ Click Above for Printable Flyer ^^^

Stock Photos of Possibly Similar Hatchback:
2001_subaru_forester_l-pic-8334461090379289535-640x480.jpeg

Gold 2001 Subaru Forester "L" Hatchback

2001_subaru_forester_l-pic-5407563112842343754-640x480.jpeg

(18 Days Ago, the Rear-Only West Virginia Plate was 1TH163)

AA = Amber Alert # 30294
AZ = Arizona
FB = FaceBook
I-40 = Interstate Highway # 40
IMO = In My Opinion
IOW = In Other Words
KY = Kentucky
LE = Law Enforcement
MOO = My Only Opinion
NCIC = National Crime Information Center
NCMEC = National Center for Missing & Exploited Children # 1364092
SM = Social Media
SS = Summer Scritchfield - Mother
VIN = Vehicle Identification Number
WV = West Virginia
WVSP = West Virginia State Police - (304) 367-2850

[Contribution # 6658
Thread # 461406]

Last edited:
Approaching 3 weeks that he's had Gracelynn. I sure hope he has the patience to deal with a 4-year-old. No matter if she loves her daddy it has to be rough on her - it's not like they can stop just anywhere, eat just anywhere, sleep just anywhere. Poor little thing, once again an innocent child is thrust in the middle of adult problems. And the child always loses.

I don't care what his reasoning is, he's wrong to subject Gracelynn to this abuse. Is she missing her mama, her home, her friends? Ugh, I'm disgusted. Selfish, selfish man!

JUL 24, 2019 - Video interview with Gracelynn's mother
Mother of Missing WV Toddler Speaks Out
[...]

“I mean her little sister runs around the house all day long, yelling for her sister, so I know she is missing her,” Scritchfield told 13 News Reporter Lily Bradley. “The dog even misses her, he has been sleeping in her bed. We all want her back.”

[...]

Since the Amber Alert was issued, Hetrick’s gold subaru was spotted in Arizona. The mother did not know why Hetrick would take Gracelynn to Arizona.

“I can’t sleep at night, wondering whats going on with Gracelynn,” said the young mother. “I am constantly wondering where she is at, if she is safe. We just want her home.”

[...]

JUL 24, 2019 - Video interview with Gracelynn's mother
Mother of Missing WV Toddler Speaks Out
[...]

“I mean her little sister runs around the house all day long, yelling for her sister, so I know she is missing her,” Scritchfield told 13 News Reporter Lily Bradley. “The dog even misses her, he has been sleeping in her bed. We all want her back.”

[...]

Since the Amber Alert was issued, Hetrick’s gold subaru was spotted in Arizona. The mother did not know why Hetrick would take Gracelynn to Arizona.

“I can’t sleep at night, wondering whats going on with Gracelynn,” said the young mother. “I am constantly wondering where she is at, if she is safe. We just want her home.”

[...]

Such a scary time for this young mother. One can imagine what she's going through. I feel very sad for her. I wonder if he's by chance crossed the border with the baby. I sure hope she's found soon and is safe.

Such a scary time for this young mother. One can imagine what she's going through. I feel very sad for her. I wonder if he's by chance crossed the border with the baby. I sure hope she's found soon and is safe.
Yes, what a nightmare! Something I noticed that I thought I'd mention is how she expressed her fears for Gracelynn, wondering if she's safe, what's going on with her, how it's affecting her other child. That and the notable lack of making it all about her tells me Gracelynn needs to be home with her mother.

So often we see women with tearless crying, talking about how horrible it's on them and how social media is accusing them of negligence, etc. We don't see that here - at all. Unless and until news comes out that her father had a good reason to abduct her I'll continue to believe he does not have Gracelynn's best interest in his mind.

Bring her home!

Yes, what a nightmare! Something I noticed that I thought I'd mention is how she expressed her fears for Gracelynn, wondering if she's safe, what's going on with her, how it's affecting her other child. That and the notable lack of making it all about her tells me Gracelynn needs to be home with her mother.

So often we see women with tearless crying, talking about how horrible it's on them and how social media is accusing them of negligence, etc. We don't see that here - at all. Unless and until news comes out that her father had a good reason to abduct her I'll continue to believe he does not have Gracelynn's best interest in his mind.

Bring her home!

I totally agree. 100%!

JUL 25, 2019
State Police explain delay in AMBER Alert for missing Marion County 4 year old
[...]

Gracelynn Scritchfield's picture appears on missingkids.org., a website run by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

The description said "missing since July 6." Troopers said that's when Scritchfield left for the visitation with her father, and police said he was entitled to a week of visitation, but he was supposed to bring her back the next day. When he failed to return her, Scritchfield's mother began the process of filing contempt charges and reported her daughter missing to State Police. This was two weeks after her mother had last seen her, and on the same day, July 22, an AMBER Alert was issued.

[...]

The alert was issued within about an hour of State Police receiving the report.

Hetric's car was last seen in Arizona on Tuesday. Police said according to Scritchfield's family, Hetric is not capable of taking care of his daughter, so police consider her to be in danger.

Oglesby said when each person individually receives an AMBER Alert depends on their service carrier, so make sure you opt in for those alerts.

I just can't understand why parents do this. Don't break your custody agreement, period. Go to Court and fight for a better agreement, don't do this stuff. What do parents that do this think is going to happen? They're going to come back with the child and everything is fine? That they will live with the child on the run forever? When someone does something like this, the chances of not seeing the child again are very high, I mean who is going to let you spend time with a child that you straight up abducted?
But in all honesty, I checked his Facebook and he does seem like a VERY loving father, he has so many pictures with Gracelynn and, in ALL of them she seems to love her daddy very much, seems like she's having a great time. So, why exactly is he not "capable of taking care of his daughter"? If he was able to have her for a week, he has to be capable of taking care of her, right?

I live in WV. I got the Amber Alert on my iPhone Monday, the 22nd, at 6:46pm.
I was out yesterday and saw the amber alert scrolling on the interstate I live near. I’m hoping they’re doing that on all the boards on the interstates.
I hope Gracelynn is ok. I can’t imagine. Prayers to the family and friends.

I live in WV and STILL haven't gotten an Amber Alert on my phone. If not for SM I probably wouldn't know about this at all.
I have an iPhone and my Emergency Alerts, Amber Alerts, and Public Safety Alerts all have to be turned on separately. If you have an iPhone, go to your notifications settings and scroll all the way down. I’m not familiar with any other phone system.

I just can't understand why parents do this. Don't break your custody agreement, period. Go to Court and fight for a better agreement, don't do this stuff. What do parents that do this think is going to happen? They're going to come back with the child and everything is fine? That they will live with the child on the run forever? When someone does something like this, the chances of not seeing the child again are very high, I mean who is going to let you spend time with a child that you straight up abducted?
But in all honesty, I checked his Facebook and he does seem like a VERY loving father, he has so many pictures with Gracelynn and, in ALL of them she seems to love her daddy very much, seems like she's having a great time. So, why exactly is he not "capable of taking care of his daughter"? If he was able to have her for a week, he has to be capable of taking care of her, right?
I know, right? We see this over and over here - parents taking off with their kids, kids mysteriously "disappearing," unwanted babies tossed out like trash. It boggles the mind.

None of these people seem to understand that they will get caught and they will go to jail in the end yet they choose the most disgusting ways to deal with their anger or frustration. Often it's about revenge, which is almost laughable because the trade off for the "satisfaction" of getting even with a partner is usually a long jail sentence. It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face - it makes no sense.

I will disagree that Gracelynn's father is capable, at least right now. IMO a loving, devoted father is not capable of yanking a 4-year-old from her mother's arms and driving her around the country in a car. No matter what reason he may have. Like you said, he had other options and instead chose one that breaks the law and harms his child psychologically and maybe even physically.

According to reports he was able to have Gracelynn for visitations so the mother clearly wasn't denying him time to see her. So what is his motive? I think that will determine the outcome of this case. MOO.

I just saw a segment for Gracelynn on LIVE PD tonight.

Apparently, Dad has some mental health issues. He was said to have some fanatical religious beliefs, protests in front of temples/churches, and tries to live 'offgrid' in a tent.

So that does have me worried about his ability to cope with a homesick 4 yr old.

Last edited:
I just saw a segment for Gracelynn on LIVE PD tonight.

Apparently, Dad has some mental health issues. He was said to have some fanatical religious beliefs, protests in front of temples/churches, and tries to live 'offgrid' in a tent.

So that does have me worried about his ability to cope with a homesick 4 yr old.

Do we know if Hetrick was the only person involved in protesting in front of temples/churches?
Live PD also mentioned that Hetrick was arrested for trespassing.
Do we know if the trespassing had anything to do with his protests against specific religions / religious denominations?
I've had no luck so far in finding any information out about this.

He could have taken a slow boat to China or hopped a plane from LA to Australia by now.

That would be very difficult if he doesn't have a passport for his daughter, documentation showing their custodial agreement and a notarized letter from his daughter's mother giving her permission.
He would also need Visas for the China trip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back