CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would expose them to a lawsuit.

I criticize the Daily Mail every single day, but I believe he did reach out to them.

They sensationalize stories, use horrible grammar, are rife with inaccuracies, but they don’t fabricate articles like this.
That's a good point, but why would he send it to Australian 60 mins or DM UK but not CBC or Global?

What’s the nearest big(ger-ish) town from Gillam? Just curious because of the theory that they could have left the area to go into a larger city to get food and whatever else.

I looked at a map of Manitoba but still not really sure as I’m unfamiliar with Canada...would it be Churchill?

That's a good point, but why would he send it to Australian 60 mins or DM UK but not CBC or Global?
He may have, and we just don’t know about it.

There’s no sense in trying to figure out his logic, because I’m not even sure he knows what he thinks half the time.

Much larger readership, I assume. The DM is rightfully nicknamed the Daily Fail, but it has an international readership. If he wants to make money off his book, he is essentially advertising around the world this way rather than just with Canada.

I am not familiar with the CBC or Global, but if they are as I assume reputable news sources rather than tabloids, that might be another reason. If he offered it to them, they might have had ethical qualms about covering the story. The good ol' Daily Mail won't care.

What’s the nearest big(ger-ish) town from Gillam? Just curious because of the theory that they could have left the area to go into a larger city to get food and whatever else.

I looked at a map of Manitoba but still not really sure as I’m unfamiliar with Canada...would it be Churchill?
Thompson, Manitoba has 13,000 and is at the junction 4 hours south of Gillam.

Looks like the town of Port Alberni has told all town workers to not speak to the press.

Officials told to keep ‘mouths shut’ in B.C. hometown of suspected killers as manhunt continues | The Star

Quote from article:
"The receptionist’s warm greeting turns tense as she learns that the person who’s approached the front desk is a reporter".

"She tells Star Vancouver that she can’t talk and that Port Alberni’s city manager emailed all city staff with instructions to not talk to media and instead direct them to contact city management. The receptionist also refused to suggest a community leader who might want to speak to media and repeated the instructions she had been given — to not talk to reporters".

I don't think I've ever followed a non-US case this closely.

By reading responses about LE in Canada I now understand why non-US WS members question and second-guess our LE procedures. Everything is just so different.
The responses to crimes in more urban and suburban settings would seem much more typical to you. The vastness and emptiness of the north just requires a whole different way of thinking and a whole different set of limitations. Probably the only difference in forces in more populous areas is that our police generally tend to be less militarized, mostly because the public is suspicious of that and resistant. Also, because police generally don't have to worry about civilian handguns in most cases in the same way that US forces do, they tend to do less shoot first ask questions later type stuff. I remember Americans being mind blown about the takedown of Alex Minassian in Toronto where he's doing everything in the world to be shot, but the cop arrests him without incident. Some Americans admired it, but others thought it was just stupid. It was interesting to see the different perspectives.

How do these self publishing sites work? The book isn't coming up in a search on the website or on the internet for me.

Maybe my prejudice against the Daily Mail is just too strong.

That would expose them to a lawsuit.

I criticize the Daily Mail every single day, but I believe he did reach out to them.

They sensationalize stories, use horrible grammar, are rife with inaccuracies, but they don’t fabricate articles like this.
i am positive that he reached out to not only the daily mail but to any others he could find online. Most would be pretty leery about going down that path to publish it because it is almost too bizarre to comprehend. Daily Mail however does like a little sensation. This dad has serious mental health issues. I am guessing he has had them for some time and this has really set him off. I was horrified by each interview he gave and had really hoped someone would step up and get him some help. I really cringe at all the backlash and judgements that will be all over the internet as this appears to have just surfaced. These events were crazy enough. This just makes it surreal.

this is where it becomes offensive to me that LE didn't get there faster, for hours, HOURS, two dead people lay on the side of the road for any and all to see. apparently there was at least one video or pictures or whatever taken and the bodies don't even have a sheet over them. Canada may have a lot of remote area, but they are not third world. or at least I have never seen them as a third world country.

A few years ago we had a man die crashing his motorbike as a result of a high speed chase, it was on one of three roads out of my town. The body lay there for three days, because the police coroner wasn’t able to come sooner. This was in the middle of a hot summer. Canada isn’t a third world country but many police forces feel they are working with severely limited budgets that can prevent them from doing their jobs as we expect.

Nothing says they didn't drive two vehicles into Gillam and leave with one.

I had that same thought. In the Meadow Lake video, as they are leaving the store, you can see a vehicle in the reflection in the window. May not even be related to them, and only hood and front wheels visible so hard to say what make it might be. Looks a bit dirty/muddy.

upload_2019-7-27_23-40-55.png

In the other image of the Rav4 where you can see the driver, I'm not able to make out if there is anyone in the passenger seat.

How do these self publishing sites work? The book isn't coming up in a search on the website or on the internet for me.

Maybe my prejudice against the Daily Mail is just too strong.
Okay, so I don't know about the company he used. But for the authors I have worked for as an independent editor, the self-publishing company is usually providing the bare minimum of support--editorial, design, production, distribution. Coming from a traditional publishing background, I know that what they're doing is often kind of cheap or half-assed. But if you didn't have background in the industry, you wouldn't be the wiser.

They'll get you onto Amazon and produce physical copies of your books and, depending on the service, may provide more than that, but the onus of promotion/marketing is on the author. It wouldn't surprise me if they're not advertising the book on the website, especially since it is so poor quality and has an unpleasant notorious connection.

To be fair, some really good authors go the self-pub route because their book, for whatever reason, is not marketable or they don't want to mess with traditional publishing or they want to retain control of the process. But, of course, a lot of people who have no business writing books also use it.

Edited to add: you get better service and quality the more you shell out money-wise. I doubt he was in the financial position to do more than order their most basic package.

MOO but based on industry experience

Looks like the town of Port Alberni has told all town workers to not speak to the press.

Officials told to keep ‘mouths shut’ in B.C. hometown of suspected killers as manhunt continues | The Star

Quote from article:
"The receptionist’s warm greeting turns tense as she learns that the person who’s approached the front desk is a reporter".

"She tells Star Vancouver that she can’t talk and that Port Alberni’s city manager emailed all city staff with instructions to not talk to media and instead direct them to contact city management. The receptionist also refused to suggest a community leader who might want to speak to media and repeated the instructions she had been given — to not talk to reporters".

Tweet from the reporter. This whole thing is so strange.

• What surprised me most today was how few people were willing to speak to me - normally I find folks are wanting to share their anxieties, worries and opinions, but not on this hot Saturday in quiet
#PortAlberni. #CanadaMurders @Star
vancouver
@TorontoStar

Tessa Vikander❄️ on Twitter

That's good to know--thank you! I knew he'd checked for a pulse but not that he had covered the bodies. I also wasn't aware about the couple from Wisconsin, though I'd heard about the trucker.
A few years ago we had a man die crashing his motorbike as a result of a high speed chase, it was on one of three roads out of my town. The body lay there for three days, because the police coroner wasn’t able to come sooner. This was in the middle of a hot summer. Canada isn’t a third world country but many police forces feel they are working with severely limited budgets that can prevent them from doing their jobs as we expect.
My son's girlfriend is a new Paramedic out of Fort Mac. She can't work in Fort Mac because you have to be a firefighter first so she works out of Peace River. Her partner and her will drive for hours to get to an accident scene. Govn't doesn't want to invest in the resources.

Wow. This is extreme. I now think he is involved in some capacity and most likely mislead investigators. I will have to go back and hear his emotional pleas but now I’m thinking his words were of encouragement to his son. And then the last line freaks me out (thinking of the dams). Mystery illnesses coming. Gad!

Don’t forget though this man has lived a nightmare from the sounds of it. His father received tainted blood from what was supposed to be a safe and trusted agency. For many years that agency also denied that happening to thousands. It was only after a huge investigation that it was revealed they knowingly destroyed lives of innocent people. It can’t have been easy to witness the destruction that HIV could have caused his father, and then to learn that it was something they knew about but continued to risk the lives of others receiving blood. I don’t think his words foretell any plan rather they highlight his destroyed faith in the health care system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member