IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your insight on what a profile would look like.
Thank you also for validating the belief that Klunder would have been a logical suspect even though he was since cleared by LE as a suspect.

By the way, according to this article, Klunder was living in Stratford IA which is 110 miles from Evansdale, less than a 2 hour drive.

Neighbors: Michael Klunder lived a double life

Unless he was working or living in the area at the time I tend to agree with LE's rule on Klunder.

Though Id LOVE to know how he was ruled out (simply for my own curiosity)

Though given in and of itself would be a prime suspect .

@ Kell1...Do you believe these murders involved a sexual assault as well? While I don’t recall LE ever acknowledging this, I have always felt that sexual assault was a strong possibility since the girls were moved to a location a good distance away from where the abduction occurred giving him (assuming the killer is a male) more time with the victims. MOO

In most child abduction homicides the motive is overwhelmingly sexual ( close to 90%)

Unless he was working or living in the area at the time I tend to agree with LE's rule on Klunder.

Supposedly, LE couldn't prove he was in Evansdale the day of the disappearance and apparently they couldn't prove where he was definitely either.
This article gives a reason that's about as clear as mud.

“We believe he was over near his home on the 13th of July, either at home or at work or traveling in between,” Smock added.

EVANSDALE MURDERS: Police Rule Out Klunder

Supposedly, LE couldn't prove he was in Evansdale the day of the disappearance and apparently they couldn't prove where he was definitely either.

“We believe he was over near his home on the 13th of July, either at home or at work or traveling in between,” Smock added.

My guess is his alibi checked out in some fashion

But I wouldn’t be shocked at all if he was responsible , the distance gives me pause they usually aren’t out trolling that far unless they are working a job out there or something

I’m still leaning toward a local resident or someone who works nearby

“...at home or at work or traveling in between” makes me think they’re basing their decision off of cell phone data.

Which can be problematic, imo.

Forgot to mention the how close the time line was. MK was released from prison in Feb 2011. The Evansdale case happened on July 13 2012 and the Dayton case was on May 20 2013.

Well aware of Michael Klunder, read quite a few articles on him, and how he was cleared remins a mystery to me , especially since he was housed for a time in an area not far from where the girls bodies were located , and had the dubious distinction of having abducted multiple victims on me than one occasion which in and of itself is rare.

A few things that sway me from Klunder (aside from him already being cleared as a suspect) was that he lived something like 4 hours away from where the girls were abducted .

These types arent "usually" your traveling criminal types, they usually operate close to home (where ever that is at the time since they move freequently) . Though its not "impossible" it seems a bit improbable even though he fits as an ideal suspect.

My suspect if I were creating a profile :

-White Male
-Single
-Approximately 27 years old (Between 20-31 on average) at time
-Lives or works in the area
-Unemployed or under employed at time of abduction (time of abduction seems to bolster this)
-Most likely works in some form of unskilled or semi-skilled labor most often in the construction industry (this is attributed to their transient nature)
-Familiar with area where bodies were recovered
-Most likely lives with parents, or Guardian figure (possibly alone)
-Victims were that of opportunity
-Stranger to the victims for the most part
-Motivation was sexual
-History of behavioral issues (often multiple disorders usually Sociopathic)
-Has past attempts (or convictons) of sexual crimes most likely involving children
-Most likely has subsequeent crimes following this one, to a lesser degree than murder. (ex possession of child *advertiser censored*), however in this case subsequent murder(s) would NOT be out of the question .
-MO in subsequent crimes will most likely be similr to the MO in this crime
-Considered odd, most likely suspected of the crime by someone already
-Freequent change of residence in the past, usually 1 within a year prior to the incident
-Direct Physical assault is the most common means to aquire a victim, (I personally beleive he grabbed one and told the other to come along , he may have bradished a weapon which would explain being able to control multiple victims, If he used a ruse, I feel youd see their bicycles closer to the road .)
-May have returned to body recovery site prior to their bodies being discovered.
-Showed at some point either an unusual abundant interest, or an obvious palpable discomfort when someone was discussing the case .
-May have confided in someone concerning his involvement.
-May have moved soon after the interest in the case died down
-Victim(s) likely killed not far from where they are found .

Heres where it gets icky

Of all the Killer types that exist, those who abduct children for the purpose of sexual exloitation, rape and murder them, have the highest propensity of all killer types, to become Serial offenders .
In this case an individual who boldly snatches not 1 but 2 adolescent girls in broad daylight, takes them sexually assaults one or both (details being withheld by police) kills both victims, then purposely leaves their bodies where they may never be found, is feeding some type of deviant psychologial need.

STRONG liklihood of re-offending .

We have three cases of abduction and murder involving two young girls. In all three cases, there was a smaller younger girl and a larger older girl. There is also some resemblance in appearance in all three cases. Since none of these cases have been linked, is this similarity just a coincidence or the norm?

7-13-12 Evansdale IA - 8 and 10 year old
5-20-13 Dayton IA - 12 and 15 year old (solved)
2-13-17 Delphi IN - 13 and 14 year old

We have three cases of abduction and murder involving two young girls. In all three cases, there was a smaller younger girl and a larger older girl. There is also some resemblance in appearance in all three cases. Since none of these cases have been linked, is this similarity just a coincidence or the norm?

7-13-12 Evansdale IA - 8 and 10 year old
5-20-13 Dayton IA - 12 and 15 year old (solved)
2-13-17 Delphi IN - 13 and 14 year old

Not sure really to be honest, theres not enough information released about the 2 open cases.

Its defeinitely interesting , its rare more than 1 unrelated child is abducted in a stranger abduction incident, its seen more with parental kidnappings , but three seperate cases, in the same state , all within 5 years of each other.

I know the Evansdale case, and the Delphi case, have been mentioned in the same articles, and in the media.

The Delphi case differs in type of abduction, whereas the girls from Evansdale were abducted, and transported milles away, the victims in the Delphi case, were abducted in terms they were most likely forcefully moved against their will , or conned into being moved from their initial location , but were found (most likely killed ) a short distance from their last known whereabouts .
The Delphi case could be seen as similar to that of Molly Bish in terms of MO, and dynamics.

In terms of the size difference of the victims , Id venture to say that its more coincidence.

In the Delphi case, i dont think this is the same individual involved in the murder of Collins and Cook, but I cant say for sure as virtually no information has been released in both cases.

If DNA were available in the Evansdale case, (unlikely given how long they had been deceased before they were found) I cant see it not being compared to the Delphi case .

Forgot to mention the how close the time line was. MK was released from prison in Feb 2011. The Evansdale case happened on July 13 2012 and the Dayton case was on May 20 2013.

Again I d love to know how or why he was cleared, not that Im saying LE is wrong in it , id just love to know with a guy like that what was co compeling that youd remove a literal monster from a suspect list. It mustve been pretty compelling

Not sure really to be honest, theres not enough information released about the 2 open cases.

Its defeinitely interesting , its rare more than 1 unrelated child is abducted in a stranger abduction incident, its seen more with parental kidnappings , but three seperate cases, in the same state , all within 5 years of each other.

I know the Evansdale case, and the Delphi case, have been mentioned in the same articles, and in the media.

The Delphi case differs in type of abduction, whereas the girls from Evansdale were abducted, and transported milles away, the victims in the Delphi case, were abducted in terms they were most likely forcefully moved against their will , or conned into being moved from their initial location , but were found (most likely killed ) a short distance from their last known whereabouts .
The Delphi case could be seen as similar to that of Molly Bish in terms of MO, and dynamics.

In terms of the size difference of the victims , Id venture to say that its more coincidence.

In the Delphi case, i dont think this is the same individual involved in the murder of Collins and Cook, but I cant say for sure as virtually no information has been released in both cases.

If DNA were available in the Evansdale case, (unlikely given how long they had been deceased before they were found) I cant see it not being compared to the Delphi case .

Delphi is in Indiana, but the other two cases were in Iowa.

What if he was planning to take the Delphi girls away by car to a different location but they were older and stronger than the little Evansdale girl? They ran or fought back and he had to alter his plans.

And to throw something else out there, another poster way back noted the similarity of the dates.
Evansdale 7-13-12
Delphi 2-13-17

What if he was planning to take the Delphi girls away by car to a different location but they were older and stronger than the little Evansdale girl? They ran or fought back and he had to alter his plans.

And to throw something else out there, another poster way back noted the similarity of the dates.
Evansdale 7-13-12
Delphi 2-13-17

bbm

Way back when, we had a sizable list of similarities. Then it went overboard/nuts and lost traction. moo

Evansdale 7-13-12
Delphi 2-13-17

Apologies for the confusion brain getting fried in my old age

You may be right , but with so little info released in both cases, you could theoretically "what if" everything to death .

Abducting multiple victims is a high risk endeavour , the situation has too many variables, its much harder to control 2 vitims (why i feel a firearm or a knife was brandished), post offense there is nowtwice the evidence, and 2 bodies they have to manage.

However being able to sucessfully abduct and kill more than 1 victim on multiple occasions I think is pushing it for a single offender, that doesnt mean Im right, it may very well be, but we can only go off what info is released, and if that is truly acurate.

I know the 2 cases, (Evansdale and Delphi ) have been compared and from what i understand at this point LE feels there is no connection .

Which is even worse in my opionion because now theres more than 1 out there that has done this, with very high possibliity of doing it again .

If you listen to the last police report on the Delphi case, they feel he is a "local hiding in plain sight" .... Thats usually the case, with these types.

In Delphi , Im looking for anyone who may have been approached by a stranger in that area prior to that offense , are there any records, of anyone exposing himself in the area? .

He was comfortable there, that tells me hes very familiar with that area especially to commit a double homicide there in broad daylight, which was almost undoubtedly sexually motivated

The fact that noone has even come forward to clear themselves as the Male on the video lends me to beleive that the individual seen walking on toward them on the video is most likely responsible

It takes a VERY committed individual to approach 2 victims, in broad daylight , secure 2 victims ,and commit a double murder

Its possible (again) that being a local he may have even known the girls at "some level" I personally dont think so but it is possible .

This indivisual will also have a criminal history , most likely a history of sexual crimes and most likely against children , hell live in area , hell be a known oddball probably even suspected of the crime by some.

I wouldnt doubt that after releasing the new composite he wouldve altered his appearance , and since the statement "youre hidinig in plain sight " he may have suddenly left the area, which should be red flag for those around him.

Unusual interest in the case, wouldve been obvious "shedding" or getting rid of things he had on his person on that day

Ill save a full rundown for the Delphi thread

The details in a nutshell.
7 years, still no answers
July 14 2019
"The girls went missing July 13, 2012. They last were seen riding their bicycles at about noon at Meyers Lake, a popular fishing and recreation area in Evansdale, a northeastern Iowa community of about 4,500 residents.

Their bicycles and Elizabeth’s purse were found at about 4 p.m. on a trail near the southeast corner of Meyers Lake.

For nearly five months following the disappearance, law enforcement agencies and community residents mounted an enormous search for the girls. Volunteers made T-shirts, buttons and posters emblazoned with the girls’ photos and local law enforcement officers and federal authorities searched the area and ran down leads.

Search efforts included sending divers into Lake Meyers — including a specialized FBI diving team from California and using a motorized pump to drain the 15- to 20-foot-deep lake.

The FBI also brought in trained bloodhounds with the bureau’s Human Scent Evidence Team, from the agency’s headquarters in Quantico, Virginia. Agents with an FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team also were brought in to help with the investigation.

Authorities said some evidence had been seized in the investigation and sent to the DCI crime lab in Des Moines, but would not elaborate on what the evidence was. Officials said there also is security camera evidence of the girls at about 12:15 p.m., July 13, in an alley on Lafayette Road.

Their bodies were found on Dec. 5, by a group of hunters at the Seven Bridges Wildlife Park in Bremer County, about 20 miles north of Evansdale."

The details in a nutshell.
7 years, still no answers
July 14 2019
"The girls went missing July 13, 2012. They last were seen riding their bicycles at about noon at Meyers Lake, a popular fishing and recreation area in Evansdale, a northeastern Iowa community of about 4,500 residents.

Their bicycles and Elizabeth’s purse were found at about 4 p.m. on a trail near the southeast corner of Meyers Lake.

For nearly five months following the disappearance, law enforcement agencies and community residents mounted an enormous search for the girls. Volunteers made T-shirts, buttons and posters emblazoned with the girls’ photos and local law enforcement officers and federal authorities searched the area and ran down leads.

Search efforts included sending divers into Lake Meyers — including a specialized FBI diving team from California and using a motorized pump to drain the 15- to 20-foot-deep lake.

The FBI also brought in trained bloodhounds with the bureau’s Human Scent Evidence Team, from the agency’s headquarters in Quantico, Virginia. Agents with an FBI Child Abduction Rapid Deployment team also were brought in to help with the investigation.

Authorities said some evidence had been seized in the investigation and sent to the DCI crime lab in Des Moines, but would not elaborate on what the evidence was. Officials said there also is security camera evidence of the girls at about 12:15 p.m., July 13, in an alley on Lafayette Road.

Their bodies were found on Dec. 5, by a group of hunters at the Seven Bridges Wildlife Park in Bremer County, about 20 miles north of Evansdale."

Wonder if the evidence came from the discovery site? Like ropes or zip ties or cigarette butts?

Wonder if the evidence came from the discovery site? Like ropes or zip ties or cigarette butts?

It says evidence was seized during the investigation. Maybe I'm over-interpreting that phrase, but it indicates to me something that was taken from a person or place with a search warrant. More than just gathering evidence at the death scene.

I also wonder if they retrieved any helpful evidence from the girls bikes and purses, which, IIRC were possibly thrown over the fence at the park. There was some discussion over whether the girls abandoned the bikes or someone placed them there. If the latter, there may be fingerprints, possibly DNA. Apologies if I'm getting details wrong, it's been a long time since I re-read the details.

There was some discussion over whether the girls abandoned the bikes or someone placed them there.
Not some. :)

It was a central point of discussion when things were still active since it is a key to how things went down that day, if the girls were even at the lake that day or if they were taken elsewhere and bikes staged later by the perp.

https://kwwl.com/news/2019/07/29/new-reward-to-be- announced-in-lyric-and-elizabeth-case/ It will be announced tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. central time. It says the reward is specifically for an arrest. Separate reward for possible conviction. I'm guessing KWWL will air it live on their Facebook page.

Thank you for posting this. I’m glad something is being done to try and move the case forward at long last.

Do you think they will release any new information?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member