GUILTY IN - Emma McAfee, 2 mos, (mom Rachel found alive), Indianapolis, 4 Mar 2019 *mother arrested*

I do not understand why an alcoholic with PPD was the one who drove away with Emma!

I do not understand why an alcoholic with PPD was expected to drop off Emma and attend her own intervention!

I do not understand why they were not found within a couple of hours!

There is no excuse. This baby girl should still be alive. I don't think her mother is the only one who should be facing charges here.

Trial of Indianapolis mother charged in baby's freezing death rescheduled

"Rachel was supposed to drop Emma off at John’s parent’s home and then go to an intervention concerning her excessive drinking," Smith wrote.

Instead, prosecutors say Rachel McAfee parked about a block away from her in-laws' home and drank alcohol until she passed out. John McAfee told police his wife abused alcohol and suffered from depression, according to the documents.

I do not understand why an alcoholic with PPD was the one who drove away with Emma!

I do not understand why an alcoholic with PPD was expected to drop off Emma and attend her own intervention!
RSBM

I feel like women are just expected to take care of their baby no matter what the circumstances. It's horrifying to me that she had a husband and extended family and this still happened. She needed help, not to be left alone with the baby! Yes it's her fault but I agree does no one else hold any responsibility for the safety of the baby?

A woman I knew had severe postpartum psychosis and had been hospitalized 3 times since the birth of her 3 month old and had just been released from the hospital 3 days prior when she was left alone all day with her toddler and the 3 month old while her husband went to work. She suffocated them both while he was at work. I went to those babies funerals and as horrible as it was that she killed them why was she left alone with them in the first place? She was so sick! It's wasn't reasonable to expect she would have been safe to care for them by herself. I believe husband had to work but he had so many people he could have asked to stay with she and the kids while he was at work.

Last edited:

There is no excuse. This baby girl should still be alive. I don't think her mother is the only one who should be facing charges here.

"Rachel was supposed to drop Emma off at John’s parent’s home and then go to an intervention concerning her excessive drinking," Smith wrote.

Instead, prosecutors say Rachel McAfee parked about a block away from her in-laws' home and drank alcohol until she passed out. John McAfee told police his wife abused alcohol and suffered from depression, according to the documents.

I completely agree with you! It makes me very angry. All those extended family members who were aware of the problem are EVERY bit as responsible. It's like being aware of abuse and saying and doing nothing till after someone ends up dead. How are they being overlooked in this prosecution? She was clearly not capable of what they demanded she do. At the very least the father should be responsible as well.

The truth is we have a serious problem in our culture in not taking care of women post partum. I think it stems from expecting women to return to work 6 weeks post partum. Modern medicine is amazing and saves many lives. But it doesn't make is so that women's bodies just magically recover just like that. Women were traditionally taken care of and helped post partum in most cultures. And in this case a woman was falling down drunk but still expected to do all the work pertaining to her newborn. I know it's not the same thing since her alcoholism was not related to her physical health. But she was still unreasonably expected to be the one entirely responsible for her newborn and not her husband and that's just ridiculous!

Great points... I think the answer is that just some people do not understand the severity of PPD (especially when paired with alcoholism). It seems easy for most of us to realize that is a recipe for disaster. That poor sweet baby. :(

I completely agree with you! It makes me very angry. All those extended family members who were aware of the problem are EVERY bit as responsible. It's like being aware of abuse and saying and doing nothing till after someone ends up dead. How are they being overlooked in this prosecution? She was clearly not capable of what they demanded she do. At the very least the father should be responsible as well.

The truth is we have a serious problem in our culture in not taking care of women post partum. I think it stems from expecting women to return to work 6 weeks post partum. Modern medicine is amazing and saves many lives. But it doesn't make is so that women's bodies just magically recover just like that. Women were traditionally taken care of and helped post partum in most cultures. And in this case a woman was falling down drunk but still expected to do all the work pertaining to her newborn. I know it's not the same thing since her alcoholism was not related to her physical health. But she was still unreasonably expected to be the one entirely responsible for her newborn and not her husband and that's just ridiculous!

You nailed it. Postnatal maternal care is ABYSMAL. And until it’s reformed, things like this will keep happening.

I know someone who locked herself out of her house (with her infant in the house) and called 911 because she was having ideations of killing the baby. Unfortunately most women don’t have the ability to do that when in the midst of a psychotic episode.

I agree. I have so many questions.

Even after she left and went missing though..... you guys....
SHE WAS ONE BLOCK AWAY THE ENTIRE TIME.
ONE BLOCK.
24 hours.
That is easy walking distance.
When my dog got loose we found him 2 blocks away.
Even after the monumental error of letting her leave with Emma alone....
There was still a chance to save Emma.

I need someone to help me understand why the entire family wasn't out searching the neighborhood.
I need someone to explain to me how they sat ONE BLOCK AWAY for 24 hours while Emma froze to death.
I will not hold my breath though.

I think child endangerment or neglect charges need to be filed here. I am enraged. Emma was a tiny BABY. She could not turn on the car or wrap herself in a blanket or dump the rum down the drain. Other adults should have intervened and kept Emma safe. That should have been the first priority, period. :mad:

Even after she left and went missing though..... you guys....
SHE WAS ONE BLOCK AWAY THE ENTIRE TIME.
ONE BLOCK.
24 hours.
That is easy walking distance.
When my dog got loose we found him 2 blocks away.
Even after the monumental error of letting her leave with Emma alone....
There was still a chance to save Emma.

I need someone to help me understand why the entire family wasn't out searching the neighborhood.
I need someone to explain to me how they sat ONE BLOCK AWAY for 24 hours while Emma froze to death.
I will not hold my breath though.

I think child endangerment or neglect charges need to be filed here. I am enraged. Emma was a tiny BABY. She could not turn on the car or wrap herself in a blanket or dump the rum down the drain. Other adults should have intervened and kept Emma safe. That should have been the first priority, period. :mad:
I will tread lightly because the family is a victim but OMG - one block? is anyone in LE taking a serious look at the inactions that day? JMO

I will tread lightly because the family is a victim but OMG - one block? is anyone in LE taking a serious look at the inactions that day? JMO

12 hours to report them missing.
One. Freaking. Block. Away. The. Entire. Time.
They would have been looking for a known vehicle.
This would not have been a difficult search.
Why didn't anyone find Emma before it was too late? :(

.....reported them missing at about 7:30 p.m. March 4, according to the affidavit. He told police that Rachel McAfee had left their far-east-side home with Emma at about 7 a.m. that day.

Instead, prosecutors say Rachel McAfee parked about a block away from her in-laws' home and drank alcohol until she passed out.

Indiana Supreme Court public access case search - MyCase

11/06/2019
Discovery Filed
Supplemental Discovery Compliance - Additional Eskenazi Health Medical Records
Filed By:
State of Indiana
File Stamp:
11/06/2019
11/07/2019
Discovery Filed
Supplemental Discovery Compliance - DFU Report
Filed By: