Found Safe WV - Gracelynn Scritchfield, 4, abducted by 'Trey' Hetrick, 6 July 2019 *vehicle spotted in Arizona

The Rock Family Worship Center
The Rock Family Worship Center. ... A multi cultural non-denominational church led by Pastors Rusty & Leisa ... We hope you enjoy today with your family!

The Rock Family Worship Center Provides Children Ministry, Youth Mini, Worship And Art Ministry, Huntsville Dream Center And Life Groups

Not quite sure what reason someone would need to protest out front with a megaphone?

Parkersburg is my town and I don't remember ever hearing about a protest at that church! There's really nothing else in that area that would cause someone to protest! It is mostly residential.

I live in WV. I got the Amber Alert on my iPhone Monday, the 22nd, at 6:46pm.
I was out yesterday and saw the amber alert scrolling on the interstate I live near. I’m hoping they’re doing that on all the boards on the interstates.
I hope Gracelynn is ok. I can’t imagine. Prayers to the family and friends.
There's a scrolling interstate sign near the WV/Marietta, OH border. The Amber Alert is on this sign, too! I'm sure the WV Interstate Courtesy Patrol trucks are keeping an eye out, too!

There's a scrolling interstate sign near the WV/Marietta, OH border. The Amber Alert is on this sign, too! I'm sure the WV Interstate Courtesy Patrol trucks are keeping an eye out, too!
The Amber Alert signs are back up in AZ. Just got out driving and noticed that they have them on the freeways again. I thought maybe they were sighted here again. :(

Apparently, the tip came in as a result of the Live PD show...

Law enforcement working to confirm sighting of Amber Alert suspect - WV MetroNews
  • Police say that sighting may have coincided with a segment seen on TV.
  • “News media received information stating that Gracelynn Scritchfield was seen in the Williams, Arizona area. This was the only tip that came in due to ‘Live PD’ airing, it is not confirmed that either Arlie Hetrick III or Gracelynn Scritchfield were seen or located,” West Virginia State Police Director of Public Relations Cpt. Shallon Oglesby said.
  • “Live PD” is a program on A&E that follows police officers during their nightly patrols.
  • The Arizona Department of Public Safety told WAJR news no sightings have been confirmed by a law enforcement agency.

Apparently, the tip came in as a result of the Live PD show...

Law enforcement working to confirm sighting of Amber Alert suspect - WV MetroNews
  • Police say that sighting may have coincided with a segment seen on TV.
  • “News media received information stating that Gracelynn Scritchfield was seen in the Williams, Arizona area. This was the only tip that came in due to ‘Live PD’ airing, it is not confirmed that either Arlie Hetrick III or Gracelynn Scritchfield were seen or located,” West Virginia State Police Director of Public Relations Cpt. Shallon Oglesby said.
  • “Live PD” is a program on A&E that follows police officers during their nightly patrols.
  • The Arizona Department of Public Safety told WAJR news no sightings have been confirmed by a law enforcement agency.
I wonder if this means the first reported AZ sighting is also unconfirmed or just the second one? IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still in WV as I wonder if he'd have the funds to travel across the country!

I wonder if this means the first reported AZ sighting is also unconfirmed or just the second one? IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if he's still in WV as I wonder if he'd have the funds to travel across the country!
I wondered that too but I'm going to go with what is in quotes from Cpt Oglesby which is that neither Arlie or Gracelynn were seen. And, that seems to pertain to today's reported Williams AZ sighting.

For reference, here is the quote:
“News media received information stating that Gracelynn Scritchfield was seen in the Williams, Arizona area. This was the only tip that came in due to ‘Live PD’ airing, it is not confirmed that either Arlie Hetrick III or Gracelynn Scritchfield were seen or located,” West Virginia State Police Director of Public Relations Cpt. Shallon Oglesby said.

The first sighting was of the vehicle and the AZ Amber Alert was issued based on that. I think they'd deactivate the alert if that was also a false sighting.

I could be wrong but that's how I'm going to interpret it for now.

I also wonder how he's funding this cross-country travel. It would be helpful to more know about him - income/employment, disability check, inheritance, did he win the lottery????? MOO

Where is Gracelynn?! :(

I just can't understand why parents do this. Don't break your custody agreement, period. Go to Court and fight for a better agreement, don't do this stuff. What do parents that do this think is going to happen? They're going to come back with the child and everything is fine? That they will live with the child on the run forever? When someone does something like this, the chances of not seeing the child again are very high, I mean who is going to let you spend time with a child that you straight up abducted?
But in all honesty, I checked his Facebook and he does seem like a VERY loving father, he has so many pictures with Gracelynn and, in ALL of them she seems to love her daddy very much, seems like she's having a great time. So, why exactly is he not "capable of taking care of his daughter"? If he was able to have her for a week, he has to be capable of taking care of her, right?

In my experience parents who kidnap their kids are super dangerous. Depriving a child of their stability and the other parent evidences an inability to see their children as independent beings with needs separate from the parent. Mental illness in the form of a break from reality, selfish narcissism, enmeshment, whatever it is, the act of kidnapping is evidence that their child is at risk of serious harm or a life of her psychological and other needs being unmet.

This man knows that what he's done means he's going to lose custody if his child is returned.

So he's either going to try to disappear forever or at a certain point he may simply kill his kid and then himself. IMO.

Last edited:
I just saw a segment for Gracelynn on LIVE PD tonight.

Apparently, Dad has some mental health issues. He was said to have some fanatical religious beliefs, protests in front of temples/churches, and tries to live 'offgrid' in a tent.

So that does have me worried about his ability to cope with a homesick 4 yr old.

There it is. It scares me. Reminds me of the man not too long ago who grabbed his six year old kid from foster care, took her into the woods and when rangers showed up, he stood up, walked over to his daughter and stabbed her right in the heart in front of the rangers. Killing her.

His ex said he adored his child. Was a good dad. But he apparently had some problems along with the ex that resulted in the child being removed.

This child is in serious danger.

I hope so, too. The sign I saw it on was near Huntington. I hope people are being vigilant about watching for that vehicle description. Every time I’m out, I kinda keep an eye out. I mean, you never know.:(

It’s crossed my mind that they could still be in WV. It’d be so easy to “hide in plain sight” here. There’s endless rural areas plus the mountains themselves. Ugh. jmo

I have been under the impression that Gracelynn was last seen on July 6th. However, this article says (BBM)...
Vehicle tied to Amber Alert for missing West Virginia girl spotted in Arizona

Her mother told media outlets that Gracelynn was with her biological father for a routine visit from July 13-14, but when she called him half an hour after Gracelynn was supposed to be back home, Arlie told her he had decided to take the girl on a week-long vacation. But when that week came to an end, he still did not return and neither did the girl. Having not heard back, Gracelynn's mother called police over the weekend and on Monday, West Virginia State Police issued an Amber Alert, saying that they believe the girl is in extreme danger.​

I have been under the impression that Gracelynn was last seen on July 6th. However, this article says (BBM)...
Vehicle tied to Amber Alert for missing West Virginia girl spotted in Arizona

Her mother told media outlets that Gracelynn was with her biological father for a routine visit from July 13-14, but when she called him half an hour after Gracelynn was supposed to be back home, Arlie told her he had decided to take the girl on a week-long vacation. But when that week came to an end, he still did not return and neither did the girl. Having not heard back, Gracelynn's mother called police over the weekend and on Monday, West Virginia State Police issued an Amber Alert, saying that they believe the girl is in extreme danger.​

It is confusing. AMBERT Alert for Gracelynn

Have you seen this child? GRACELYNN SCRITCHFIELD

Gracelynn was last seen on July 6, 2019. She was allegedly abducted by her father, Arlie Hetrick, III. A felony warrant for Kidnapping was issued for Arlie on July 22, 2019. Arlie's hair may be shoulder length and he may go by the alias name Trey. They may be traveling in a 2001 gold Subaru Forester with West Virginia license plate 1TH163. The vehicle may have two bungee cords securing the rear hatch door.

It is confusing. AMBERT Alert for Gracelynn

Have you seen this child? GRACELYNN SCRITCHFIELD

Gracelynn was last seen on July 6, 2019. She was allegedly abducted by her father, Arlie Hetrick, III. A felony warrant for Kidnapping was issued for Arlie on July 22, 2019. Arlie's hair may be shoulder length and he may go by the alias name Trey. They may be traveling in a 2001 gold Subaru Forester with West Virginia license plate 1TH163. The vehicle may have two bungee cords securing the rear hatch door.
And the State Police explanation for the delay in issuing an Amber Alert (there was obviously not a delay) is equally confusing in the second sentence below ...

State Police explain delay in AMBER Alert for missing Marion County 4 year old

The description said "missing since July 6." Troopers said that's when Scritchfield left for the visitation with her father, and police said he was entitled to a week of visitation, but he was supposed to bring her back the next day. When he failed to return her, Scritchfield's mother began the process of filing contempt charges and reported her daughter missing to State Police. This was two weeks after her mother had last seen her, and on the same day, July 22, an AMBER Alert was issued.​

And the State Police explanation for the delay in issuing an Amber Alert (there was obviously not a delay) is equally confusing in the second sentence below ...

The description said "missing since July 6." Troopers said that's when Scritchfield left for the visitation with her father, and police said he was entitled to a week of visitation, but he was supposed to bring her back the next day. When he failed to return her, Scritchfield's mother began the process of filing contempt charges and reported her daughter missing to State Police. This was two weeks after her mother had last seen her, and on the same day, July 22, an AMBER Alert was issued.​

AMBER ALERT UPDATE: West Virginia State Police say spotting of Hetrick is not confirmed

This article has more details.

Scritchfield says she's been calling Hetrick since the 7th when he was supposed to return with Gracelynn, but a voicemail is all she's been able to reach. When she finally got a hold of him he told her he was taking Gracelynn on a week-long vacation. To which she was against.

"I think he's going to have to be found. I don't think he's going to bring her back on his own time."

Scritchfield says this isn't the first time that Hetrick has acted erratically. She says he's tried to break their shared custody agreement before.

"Him not wanting to bring her back for a couple days. Him not telling me where he's living."

Even if Hetrick took Gracelynn on that vacation, the two should have came back on the 14th.

"I fear that something has happened."

Gracelynn's sister Maelynn is also missing her companion.

Edited.... Thanks @Jethro4WS ...

Last edited:
So now I would like to know how the sighting of the vehicle came about near Holbrook. Since it was reported the vehicle was headed east on I-40 that has to come from either surveillance cameras in or around a location Arlie did a debit/credit transaction or it came from a license plate reader (both Arizona Highway Patrol and Navajo County Sheriff's Office vehicles have them). If it came from a license plate reader on a vehicle it should have hit on the NCIC record and should have resulted in a stop. If it were a roadside reader then perhaps there is a delay in processing the plate information collected. If it came from surveillance video then Arlie, at a minimum should also be on camera somewhere but we haven't been told that.

Whatever it was, it had to be something that Arizona DPS could confirm.

So now I would like to know how the sighting of the vehicle came about near Holbrook. Since it was reported the vehicle was headed east on I-40 that has to come from either surveillance cameras in or around a location Arlie did a debit/credit transaction or it came from a license plate reader (both Arizona Highway Patrol and Navajo County Sheriff's Office vehicles have them). If it came from a license plate reader on a vehicle it should have hit on the NCIC record and should have resulted in a stop. If it were a roadside reader then perhaps there is a delay in processing the plate information collected. If it came from surveillance video then Arlie, at a minimum should also be on camera somewhere but we haven't been told that.

Whatever it was, it had to be something that Arizona DPS could confirm.

I can't locate the information right now but as I recall, the initial sighting from Holbrook came from a license plate 'hit' from some sort of reader on the AZ highway. There was a photo of the back of the car but you couldn't see any passengers.

AMBER ALERT UPDATE: West Virginia State Police say spotting of Hetrick is not confirmed

This article has more details.

Scritchfield says she's been calling Hetrick since the 7th when he was supposed to return with Gracelynn, but a voicemail is all she's been able to reach. When she finally got a hold of him he told her he was taking Gracelynn on a week-long vacation. To which she was against.

"I think he's going to have to be found. I don't think he's going to bring her back on his own time."

Scritchfield says this isn't the first time that Hetrick has acted erratically. She says he's tried to break their shared custody agreement before.

"Him not wanting to bring her back for a couple days. Him not telling me where he's living."

Even if Hetrick took Gracelynn on that vacation, the two should have came back on the 14th.

"I fear that something has happened."

Gracelynn's sister Maelynn is also missing her companion.

Not sure why the delay unless LE gave him and extra week. This was brought up at the beginning of the thread. I did not see any clarification or explanation.
The link I gave was a clarification by West Virginia State Police in response to a Charleston West Virginia TV station asking them why, if she Gracelynn was missing since July 6th, that an Amber Alert didn't go out until July 22nd. It turns out their clarification isn't really clear either.

However, in that clarification, State Police say that the missing report was filed - and an Amber Alert issued an hour later - on July 22nd.

So, it seems that the timeline really is:

July 6th Gracelynn goes with her father
July 13th or 14th Gracelynn is supposed to be brought home
July 13th or 14th Mom speaks with Arlie and he tells her he is taking Gracelynn on a week-long vacation.
July 20th or 21st Arlie and Gracelynn don't return.
July 22nd Mom begins the process of filing a contempt action with the courts and reports Gracelynn missing.

The link I gave was a clarification by West Virginia State Police in response to a Charleston West Virginia TV station asking them why, if she Gracelynn was missing since July 6th, that an Amber Alert didn't go out until July 22nd. It turns out their clarification isn't really clear either.

However, in that clarification, State Police say that the missing report was filed - and an Amber Alert issued an hour later - on July 22nd.

So, it seems that the timeline really is:

July 6th Gracelynn goes with her father
July 13th or 14th Gracelynn is supposed to be brought home
July 13th or 14th Mom speaks with Arlie and he tells her he is taking Gracelynn on a week-long vacation.
July 20th or 21st Arlie and Gracelynn don't return.
July 22nd Mom begins the process of filing a contempt action with the courts and reports Gracelynn missing.

My thoughts as well. Thanks for creating the timeline. Really helps!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back