Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
They did that charge so they could get the canada wide warrant out for their arrest, that is the quickest way to do it, all the other charges like theft of vehicle and a plethora of others will come once they are apprehended.
Sometimes they don't bother. Millard and Smich weren't ultimately tried for the theft of Tim Bosma's truck. If the case is strong for murder, there's not a ton of value in a theft conviction for the effort required. The sentence would run concurrently, can't use it for a Dangerous Offender application etc.

Is there any info about where the other suspect's parents/family are?

I know they allegedly left to avoid the media attention, but what if, and its a crazy theory, that they essentially went to either find the suspects themselves or help them in any way?

The distance from Gillam to Hudson Bay via the Nelson River is about 145km/90 miles. The river is passable and you are going with the current. Hudson Bay is enormous and is part of the ocean. There are two relatively small communities on its west coast. Most of the islands are on the east coast.

Draw your own conclusions :)[/QUOTE
Although the river is passable by boat, I do not think the 2 suspects would very easily find a watercraft to steal or use and if they did, not necessarily know how to use one properly to make it very far. Travel by a canoe or kayak for the novice wouldn't be that speedy or easy to manoevre on such a big river and they would be easily seen by locals. I think if they are still even alive, that they are struggling if still in the area or have made it to Ontario with some kind of help or other mode of transport.

Winter is coming... about 2-3 more months and it will be brutally cold outside to the point where you require shelter to survive
North Manitoba gets colder much faster, I doubt that they can survive much longer if they are somewhere up north and haven't travelled to Ontario or anywhere else.
Cabins may help them, but with snow as early as September means that supplies would be running low, and if they're somehow outdoors, they'll die, the animals will take care of the bodies and we will never get closure.

I’m curious about the publication ban on the paperwork filed for the second degree murder charges. Is it unusual for it to have a publication ban on it, that seems to have been for one day only? Or is that something typically done?

Yes very common. In virtually all high profile murder cases the evidence is unknown by the general public until the trial occurs. It’s only provided to the defence.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> ... Who is to say they were the persons who burnt the truck in Dease Lake? It could have been stolen again or possibly bought from the young fugitives by someone with connections to Dease Lake, I suppose. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Winter is coming... about 2-3 more months and it will be brutally cold outside to the point where you require shelter to survive

Yes summer is very short in the north country and the daytime and nighttime temperature are both above freezing for only about two months.

Thompson, Man
Last frost: June 11-20
First frost: August 11-20
Canada Hardiness Zones Frost Dates | Veseys

Yes very common. In virtually all high profile murder cases the evidence is unknown by the general public until the trial occurs. It’s only provided to the defence.
Yes, but scrappinkat’s question was, I believe, whether a 24-hour ban is common. What is the goal of such a (relatively) short ban?

Or maybe I misunderstood the original question. Sorry.

Two boxes and a suit were seen inside their car.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/first-nation-constable-stopped-homicide-suspects-1.5230779

Is there a video game where a character changes into a suit before dying in a shootout or killing himself?

A few days ago a poster mentioned the symbolism of a circle with a cross through it (irt a map of Gillam?) and suggested we google it.

I did, and read about Slenderman. Slenderman wears a black suit. Slender Man - Wikipedia

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> Who is to say they were the persons who burnt the truck in Dease Lake? It could have been stolen again or possibly bought from the young fugitives by someone with connections to Dease Lake, I suppose. MOO

It would be for them to say but unfortunately they chose to run as opposed to talking to authorities.

Canada is not a third world country and suspects here have far more rights than most countries so I don’t buy the story they were scared. The most common reason for running is guilt and fear of getting caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Slender Man thing is interesting because it was already related to another crime: Slender Man stabbing - Wikipedia

Based on the taxi driver's statement, if they are trying to get to Bird, then they are essentially trying to hop on the rail line north (Churchill, MB) or maybe it was a clever
call that redirects the LE efforts to locate them. Call and ask to go north, and then go south instead.

I'm starting to think someone is actively helping them

So, now what?

There are still so many possibilities:
  1. One or both could be dead, by murder/suicide or accident—drowning, animal attack, disease. If both are dead we may find out in hours, days, years…or never. George Mallory, Amelia Earhart, D.B. Cooper—you get the picture. If one is dead, strong likelihood the other will turn himself in—or die out there as well.
  2. They could still be somewhere in the backcountry—near Gillam, near York Landing, or trying to put as much distance as possible between searchers and themselves. With or without supplies, likely without a firearm. Our local contact from the Gillam area hinted that the locals have been given a bit more information than the rest of us, and that the information has apparently decreased their (the community’s) worry about the situation. Would love to know what was said, but then, that’s just my insatiable curiosity. Maybe now the local trackers will get the chance to search.
  3. They somehow acquired another vehicle and are doing another cross-country sprint. It’s a big country, and there are plenty of people who haven’t been following this story. Still, pretty awkward for two teens without much more than the clothes on their backs to start a whole new life—UNLESS they get some assistance. Maybe they did have a contact or contacts all along, and the burning of the RAV4 near the end of the road before their vanishing act was symbolic of ending their crummy current existence in hopes of a fresh start. I can’t help but wonder if their goal was to make a name for themselves with the intention of getting rescued and recruited by a militia group. That was my original theory nearly two weeks ago.
Whatever the case, the notoriety they racked up pretty much insures that they will continue to be hunted for the rest of their lives. I fervently hope they will be brought to justice before they can hurt anyone else.
I thought the same about that comment from the Gillam resident! But maybe it was just the police saying that the likelihood of them coming back (if they were in the area) is pretty low.

I personally think they killed themselves after burning the RAV4 and running into the bushes.

A few days ago a poster mentioned the symbolism of a circle with a cross through it (irt a map of Gillam?) and suggested we google it.

I did, and read about Slenderman. Slenderman wears a black suit. Slender Man - Wikipedia
It is interesting though that they supposedly according to that one 'constable' who stopped them at the 'dry' community said he saw a suit in their vehicle.

Reactions: Dre
I thought the same about that comment from the Gillam resident! But maybe it was just the police saying that the likelihood of them coming back (if they were in the area) is pretty low.

I personally think they killed themselves after burning the RAV4 and running into the bushes.
That is certainly a big possibility. And if they did, well, we've heard time and time again that bodies are often difficult to find especially in rough and thick terrain.

RCMP continue search for suspects in three B.C. slayings
"The teens have Facebook pages under their own names and both are linked to an account called “Illusive Gameing.” That username, complete with the misspelling, also shows up on YouTube, as well as video-game networks Twitch and Steam. The accounts share similar imagery and themes, including the Communist icon, far-right politics, sexualized Japanese anime and the survivalist video game Rust.
This photo was sent by an account, believed to be owned by Bryer Schmegelsky, to an online Steam user. The photos were reportedly sent in the fall of 2018 but the user said he stopped playing online games with Mr. Schmegelsky earlier this year after he continued to praise Hitler’s Germany.
"The banner image for the Illusive Gameing YouTube account features a modified Soviet flag, but its profile picture is the heraldic eagle of Hitler’s Germany. The page was active as of six months ago.

Steam accounts linked to Mr. Schmegelsky and Mr. McLeod were last active a week before their pickup truck was found on fire on B.C.'s Highway 37.

A Steam user confirmed to The Globe and Mail that he talked to Mr. Schmegelsky regularly online. He recalled Mr. McLeod joining their chats as well.
m The Globe is not identifying, provided photos sent by an account believed to be owned by Mr. Schmegelsky, showing him in military fatigues, brandishing what appears to be an airsoft rifle – which fires plastic pellets. Another photo shows a swastika armband, and yet another features Mr. Schmegelsky in a gas mask. The photos were reportedly sent in the fall of 2018, but the user said he stopped playing online games with Mr. Schmegelsky earlier this year after he continued to praise Hitler’s Germany.

One account connected to the teens uses the logo of the Azov Battalion, a far-right Ukrainian militia that has been accused of harbouring sympathies to neo-Nazis. Another account claims to be located in Russia, near Moscow, and belongs to several groups for fans of sexualized Japanese animation. That account also used the heraldic eagle of the Nazis."

So that's really how kids in Canada tend to run around looking like? That kind of outfit is common at the mall up there? Seems odd to me. Someone mentioned as much and I'm not familiar with Canada so I have to take them at their word but it seems quite odd and I note the Canadian media seems to be highlighting his "look" as well, which indicates to me that it's not that common up there either.

I don't know. I really do think there were multiple, varied signs that these two had some issues and were more prone to murder than the average kid their age. I don't think the RCMP is likely to have gotten this wrong and that these are just two innocent kids caught up in something bigger than themselves.

I don’t know what kind of “paperwork” for the second degree murder charge he’s talking about, but if he’s talking about the charge itself it certainly is public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd