CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

fictionisbetter

Reaction score
Barbara Thomas was hiking with her husband in the Mojave Desert and they became separated. She has not been seen since.

Search underway for lost hiker in Mojave Desert

"Thomas does not have supplies or a cell phone, and she was last seen wearing a black bikini, red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks."

"She is a resident of Bullhead City, and she is 5 feet and 9 inches tall, weighing about 130 pounds, with blonde hair and green eyes."

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4

Last edited by a moderator:
Barbara Thomas was hiking with her husband in the Mojave Desert and they became separated. She has not been seen since.

"Thomas does not have supplies or a cell phone, and she was last seen wearing a black bikini, red baseball cap and tan hiking boots with black socks."

"She is a resident of Bullhead City, and she is 5 feet and 9 inches tall, weighing about 130 pounds, with blonde hair and green eyes."
Question #1: How did she and her husband become separated?

From the article:

5d296fa88fc48.image.jpg

• SBCS is searching for a lost hiker in the Mojave Desert, 20 miles north of Interstate 40 and east of Kelbaker Road. Google Maps
  • BT was hiking with her husband in that area on Friday around 2:30 p.m.
  • Assisting in the search are fire personnel, park rangers, sheriff’s aviation and SAR team members.
  • Anyone with information is urged to contact the Colorado River Station of the SBSD by calling (760) 326-9200 or sheriff’s dispatch at (760) 956-5001.

JUL 19, 2019
Video: The search continues for 69-year-old hiker Barbara Thomas
At the end of this video, the reporter says, "Investigators say the questions they asked RT are standard for missing person investigations stressing they do not suspect foul play in this case."

JUL 19, 2019
Video: Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect
  • SBCSO says they are not releasing any information about the missing person investigation and interviews with family members.
  • Authorities also say they have no evidence the woman was abducted nor have they found any trace of her.
  • Rescuers resumed the search at daybreak using off-road vehicles, K9 units, hikers, and aerial support.
  • Authorities are unaware of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared nor do they know how far she was from the RV at the time.
  • Officials also say that they are unaware of any medical conditions that may have caused BT to become disoriented or lost.

RT's Interviews

At the 1:13 mark - 1st interview
"My feeling is that she was picked up. Because she had to cross the highway. She was wearing a bikini and she had a beer in her hand."

At the 1:12 mark - 2nd interview
"I feel that, uh, somebody picked her up, uh, because she was wearing a bikini, she had a beer in her hand, and she was ahead of me and she had to cross that road."

Thread #1
CA - AZ, Barbara Thomas,69,Timelind, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*
Media thread

@Tricia
CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019
Bringing this over from thread #1
Hey Everyone,

dbdb11 is now a verified family member of Barbara's.

You may ask questions of dbdb11 but you may not argue or in any way harrass a verified member. If you choose not to believe this person then scroll by.

dbdb11 thank you very much for your willingness to become verified. You will help us better understand Barbara's case and that means we can discuss her case in a more fact based manner.

Take Care,
Tricia

Today at 6:25

Does anyone else get a strange feeling when RT is asked by Inside Edition if he did anything to his wife and he looked straight at the camera with cold, angry eyes (IMO) and said “Absolutely not.”? For some reason, it gave me the creeps. That kind of denial never seems truthful to me. Again, just my own feelings and I DON’T want to think he did anything to Barbara.

Thank you for that description.

Now having been there, what's your take on the different scenarios?

1) she got lost
2) she got abducted
3) she was attacked by animals
4) she was never there in the first place

I don't think enough information has been released for me to have any ideas on what really happened. That said, a hit and run on a clear day with as much traffic (a car every couple minutes sometimes more), or animal attack is not what I think happened. (Mountain lions avoid humans and attacks are extremely rare and that would have left clues, not to mention drag marks, etc).

Getting lost for that particular place is hard to believe as well, as there is a non-motorized trail which they presumably hiked, and Kelbaker road is visible, and audible. Also, very few hikers hike off trail, those who do would not be wanting to wear shorts, as the area is filled with various cholla cacti, which have hooks that get into your legs, very unpleasant to get stuck by those! Even the I-40 is visible and a turnout at the pass is visible by eye. Less than a mile west of the road which runs north/south you have Granite Mountain, which is a sheer wall of rocks, she wouldn't have walked that way, unless extremely disoriented. They don't sound like rock climbers, so that's highly unlikely.

I'm hoping the husband will offer much more specifics about the hike and time than he did in those two short interviews. Some mention all they had was a beer, another article mentions they brought a gallon of water as well. That small detail makes a big difference in how far you can hike. A beer in hand, and your hike during mid-day is limited to no more than a mile or two, but a gallon of water, and now you'd have to expand the possible range to search by a few more miles.

Having hiked at this location my main observation was just how many places there are there to shelter from the intense sun, which of course also makes the search harder and makes it harder for aerial photography to pick up any clues. The scattered boulders south of the main rock formations also had lots of nooks and crannies to hide. I noticed SARS had tags going for about a mile south, so it looks like they covered that area as well.

If I were in trouble with the heat I might be tempted to go under a large boulder and wait to feel better, these are great sheltering places, but that is not what Robert Thomas suggested. He implied they had already gone to the rocks and were on their way back, between the main rock formations and the trailer there are no rock formations to hide. If she had gone for the closest boulder formations, she would have been found though, because they searched those formations extensively, see attached photo for an example.

It is uphill to the boulder formations from the trailer location and only .5 miles away, downhill back to the trailer, so getting back would have made more sense for me if I thought I was in heat trouble. But RT did not mention his wife had issues with the heat during that hike.

I'll attach a few more pics so you can see landscape and trailer location in relation to the surrounding landscape. Last photo shows the wall of rocks on the western side and a orange tag showing they searched to that extend.

Attachments

• Mojave Missing 047.JPG
    Mojave Missing 047.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Mojave Missing 027 trailer.JPG
    Mojave Missing 027 trailer.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Mojave Missing 044.JPG
    Mojave Missing 044.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 36
  • Mojave Missing 022.JPG
    Mojave Missing 022.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Mojave Missing 032.JPG
    Mojave Missing 032.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Mojave Missing 042.JPG
    Mojave Missing 042.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 37
  • Mojave Missing 029.JPG
    Mojave Missing 029.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 35
Last bulletin from LE brought over from Media thread posted by Pommymommy:

JUL 23, 2019
Daily searches suspended for bikini-clad woman who vanished in Mojave Desert | Fox News
  • On Monday, the sheriff's office said the ongoing daily searches in the Mohave National Preserve have been suspended.
  • "Additional searches will be conducted as any additional information is developed in the investigation," the sheriff's office said.
  • "Detectives from the Specialized Investigations Division have assumed the investigation as is standard department policy when a missing person has not been located."
  • "There has been no evidence of Barbara Thomas located on previous days," the sheriff's office said.
BBM

AZ, Barbara Thomas,69,Timelind, Media, Maps, *NO DISCUSSION*

MOD NOTE:

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED YET AGAIN, THIS TIME TO CLEAN UP ALL THE POSTS THAT ARE DISCUSSING PHILOSOPHICAL DIFFERENCES ABOUT WHO/HOW/WHEN NOTIFICATION WAS MADE TO CERTAIN PEOPLE THAT BARBARA WAS MISSING. THE ARGUMENTS ARE POINTLESS AND WILL NOT HELP FIND BARBARA.

NOT SURE WHEN THIS WILL OPEN. WITH NO NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN THIS CASE, IT MAY BE AWHILE.

CocoChanel

WHAT WE KNOW AND DON'T KNOW (SUMMARIZED - LINKS FOUND ELSEWHERE IN THE THREADS):

What we know as fact:
  • LE dispatched initial search time at 3:26 pm on Friday, July 12 per RT's 911 call - gave location as Kelbaker Rd/Hidden Hill Rd, according to dispatch records.
  • RT had his truck and 5th wheel at the scene (call it camper, trailer, etc. - who cares - we spent many pages just talking about what it is) when LE arrived.
  • LE and search teams spent 9 days searching for any sign of Barbara in the Mojave Desert.
  • LE said no signs of Barbara were found from their searches.
  • Barbara had plane/hotel reservations to fly to Hong Kong to visit her sick brother.
  • Cellphone service in that part of the desert is spotty at best.
  • Temperature was mid 90's to low 100's at the location.
  • Barbara and Robert were residents of Bullhead City, Arizona, 2 hours away from where the search took place.
  • Kelbaker Rd/Hidden Hill Rd. is approximately 6.3 miles north of the I-40.
  • There is a gas staion/truck stop at the I-40 at exit 107 (Hi-Sierra Oasis).
  • Most importantly, Barbara is still missing.
What we know from the VI and also RT's niece (not verified yet, I believe) - keep in mind that a lot of this information came from RT or his daughter to Barbara's brother, her niece and her nephew in Hong Kong (3rd party hearsay):
  • Barbara does not own a cellphone.
  • Barbara and RT married somewhere between 2005 and 2007.
  • Barbara is known to walk in the desert in her bikini.
  • Barbara and RT live in the desert, and enjoy being out in it.
  • RT told the family he called 911 approximately 12 pm.
  • Barbara is a strong person.
  • Barbara loves her brother, and would have no reason to disappear and not visit him.
  • RT told Barbara's family that he already cancelled her trip to Hong Kong within the first 3 days after she was missing.
  • Barbara's family last had actual contact her on July 10, when she said she and RT were going camping for a few days.
  • No particular camping destination was mentioned by RT.
  • A neighbor's surveillance camera shows both RT and BT getting into the vehicle around 8:15 am. So the last time BT was seen by anyone other than RT would have been by that camera.
What RT said himself in interviews:
  • RT claims LE told him he was DECEPTIVE on his polygraph (not that he failed it) - which LE won't confirm or deny.
  • RT claims LE told him he is the "prime suspect" in her disappearance. (If he committed no crime, why would he be a "suspect".)
  • RT claims that Barbara walked a little ways ahead of him back to the 5th wheel while he stopped to take a photograph.
  • RT claims they were on their way back to the camper when Bob said his wife started pulling ahead. He told her he wanted to take a picture of a rock formation and as he put his camera away, he saw her rounding a corner.
  • RT claims "By the time I took the picture, she was continuing on because she wanted to [use?] the RV. And, she rounded the corner and I lost sight of her".
  • RT claims that Barbara was abducted, since not much time had passed since they split on the path.
  • RT claims he searched for her for an hour before calling 911, including checking out a "cave" they both knew of.
  • A reporter ASKS RT if he thinks Barbara could have been taken to Las Vegas. He replies that it's possible, and THEN asks people in Las Vegas to keep an eye out for her. (IIFC, the Las Vegas idea did NOT come out of RT's mouth first.

If anybody can think of what I missed, I will update this. We just seem to keep getting lost in here questioning the same things ad nauseum. Maybe we can move forward into other avenues of thought now to find Barbara.

#TEAMBARBARA

OK, so please clear this for me - very sorry if I missed it: that picture of Barbara, in the black 'bikini' top (looks sorta bra like to me, but really doesn't matter) & red hat: I am under impression that it was NOT taken the day she disappeared...

Is that correct - ?

TIA!

OK, so please clear this for me - very sorry if I missed it: that picture of Barbara, in the black 'bikini' top (looks sorta bra like to me, but really doesn't matter) & red hat: I am under impression that it was NOT taken the day she disappeared...

Is that correct - ?

TIA!

I think the VI also does not know if the photo was taken the day she vanished.

Well that may answer a few questions.... namely that LE HAVE scoured through security footage from various places they may have stopped at-- and she was not visible-- at least on camera.
Again with LE using the word, "Evidence".

I wonder if LE is really referring to this, though—or are they saying that they have not found evidence of her in the course of their desert searches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong