Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure it's at the end of a long inlet but growing up in Ucluelet, we would never consider PA "on the ocean". But OK I did just look at Wikipedia and it does refer to PA as a "deep port city" still mid island to me...
I've lived in BC most of my life, taking several trips to the Island, and I agree. We would never consider Port Alberni on the ocean as such.

Does anyone think it is possible that if the canoe was theirs that they flipped and both made it to shore? If this did happen how far till they would be out of the bush or near a town etc?

It might be best for the families if the fugitives have died and their bodies are recovered. The families might have a few less answers but at least they won't have to see the two of them in the news for years during the trial and so on.

Plus just for public safety reasons. The police have to do all they can to make sure there aren't potentially two killers on the loose.

Very true. The answers would not be there but the trial process is just more hardship for the victims as well. Imo.

It is not a canoe. It was a flat-bottom boat.
Thank you but if it was theirs that they flipped and both made it to shore? If this did happen how far till they would be out of the bush or near a town etc?

I think it's interesting that the article says the police last scoured that area by air three or four days ago, meaning the boat wasn't there or at least not noticed then. Of course, the boat could've come loose and been swept away on it's own, but hopefully this discovery will lead to something. Or DNA from the water jug.
I can’t find the link on the water jug, unless it’s in the globe and mail article which I can’t access.

The river is at least 600m (3/8 mi) wide in those parts and would be ice cold. They probably hit some unexpected rapids and were too far out to save themselves.

If they have been "hiding" at the bottom of the Nelson River these past 12 days now it would explain a heck of a lot.

Thank you but if it was theirs that they flipped and both made it to shore? If this did happen how far till they would be out of the bush or near a town etc?

If the boat flipped it would most likely have been due to strong rapids. Survival depends on how well they swam, lifejackets on?, water temps, injuries etc. They might have survived a trip thru rapids but most in that scenario do not.

You make some very good points which all reminded me of the times when I did a lot of back-country camping and kayaking/canoeing. The furthest north I ever camped was in the Paint Lake (near Thompson) and Grass River areas (you could kayak or canoe all the way to Split Lake if you followed the entire route), but most of my experiences were in the south.

In the south the terrain is also very difficult, but there you're dealing with mostly solid rocky terrain, which is difficult enough to navigate, but it's less boggy and there are lots of rocky but clear areas to escape the near constant dampness of the bush. The thing with the north is that in the bush you are almost always wet or slightly damp at best, and unless you have a way of drying off and especially drying out your socks and footwear, travel and odds of survival definitely decrease over time. Speaking of footwear, they'll also have to have high-quality hiking boots, ideally, more than one pair each that they can rotate wearing. I don't know much about the army style boots BS was seen wearing, but I don't think they'd be appropriate for that terrain.

These two are inexperienced, I don't care how many camp-outs and survival games they played on Vancouver Island, Northern Manitoba with all the swamps, muskeg, dampness and bugs is a different beast altogether. I agree it's possible that they may still be alive if they're still up there) but they won't be for much longer.

If you are going to "camp" in the muskeg, do you try to find a slightly higher dry place? Cut foliage to build up a sort of platform to stay out of the water? It sounds daunting and it sounds like too muddy to put in stakes or poles for a lean to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow