TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What went wrong with is thinking that he saw this as a good idea?

Otto, he explains his thinking in his manifesto apparently. He felt was defending his country against an invasion by Mexicans. He felt we needed to protect our lineage and genetic something-mumbo-jumbo. In San Bernardino, the culprits were radicalized by Isis. In Orlando, the shooter was offended by gays. In Parkland and Sandy Hook, the shooter had grudge against the schools.

I don't think it matters. People get radicalized by algorithms on the Interest that narrow the # of people they relate to until they are in an ever intense echo chamber.

So what did socially awkward, angry, marginalized, different misfit young men do in the 1950s? Or ‘60s or ‘70s or ‘80s? They certainly had easy access to guns. Probably easier then than now. What were they doing instead of planning and committing mass murder? What changed?

Access to assault rifles?

It is known as the Mexican Walmart. Why did he drive almost 10 hours to this Walmart? Why did he tell LE he wanted to kill as many Mexicans as he could? I would say that is racist

Yeah, his manifesto was solid evidence that he intended to kill Mexicans, and his driving that distance to that particular place, solidifies that.

His target was clear, and this is an obvious hate crime.

Which is why the FBI is involved.

It is known as the Mexican Walmart. Why did he drive almost 10 hours to this Walmart? Why did he tell LE he wanted to kill as many Mexicans as he could? I would say that is racist

He lived 10 hours away and drove to what is locally known as the "Mexican Walmart" to shoot people? How did he know that - is he from the area?

Good link^ lots of clarification of the current known facts:

"...The officials also said an assault-style rifle, similar to an AK-47, was secured at the scene along with several magazines. ...

...At a news conference on Saturday night, El Paso police chief Greg Allen said that 20 people had died and 26 more had been injured. ...

...Allen, the police chief, said the first 911 call came in at 10:39 a.m. local time, and that emergency responders were on the scene at 10:45. The shooting began in the parking lot outside the Walmart, ..."

So what did socially awkward, angry, marginalized, different misfit young men do in the 1950s? Or ‘60s or ‘70s or ‘80s? They certainly had easy access to guns. Probably easier then than now. What were they doing instead of planning and committing mass murder? What changed?

US population growth...
1959- 177 million people
2019- 329 million people

Institutionalized mentally ill patients fell from its peak of 560,000 in the 1950s to 35,000 in 2019.
There are approximately 356,000 inmates with serious mental illness in jails and state prisons.

Beat women, robbed banks, killed or died in fights.

So what happened? Why did this young man do this?
What went wrong with is thinking that he saw this as a good idea?

Lots of things, but essentially, “Herostratus complex”.

Herostratus - Wikipedia

“Herostratus (Ancient Greek: Ἡρόστρατος) was a 4th-century BC Greek arsonist, who sought notoriety by destroying the second Temple of Artemis in Ephesus. His acts prompted the creation of a damnatio memoriae law forbidding anyone to mention his name, orally or in writing. The law was ultimately ineffective, as evidenced by mentions of his existence in modern works and parlance. Thus, Herostratus has become a metonym for someone who commits a criminal act in order to become famous.”

My feeling is, maybe, introverted personality, and the Internet, and the guns, and the mental illness, and likely, he did not take his meds, either...all of it.

But ultimately, he said it all himself - I see hopelessness and fear of the future, that causes suicidal thoughts. About own life, he does not care. But because he is a loner, he dreads the idea of no one noticing his funerals. His choice is to go with a bang - whatever happens, he got himself a line in Wikipedia. Today.

That his thinking is mean and irrational, and that he cruelly took the lives of 20 people, well, that goes with his odd-eccentric personality. This is how he views taking control over his life and death, going out on his own terms. (To add to it, this loner now got the club of admirers, it matters to him, as well).

Recent ISIS-inspired terror attacks in South Asia have been quite similar in digital footprint. Somehow these groups are reaching educated, privileged youth.
bbm
To "educated, privileged" I would add alienated.
That seems to be the biggest commonality imo, with these young men. I wonder what the families and/or teachers, neighbors ect... anyone who has noticed a kid growing up friendless, unable to interact normally with practically everyone he meets... What do they do about it exactly? Anything? How can you just live day after day, knowing something is terribly wrong? Surely people were aware this guy was not able to get along with anyone, pretty much, at all.

Last edited:
In his manifesto he claimed he would not live thru the attack because some armed Texan would take him out. Well, that didn't work out for the creep. Instead, charged with capital murder. Welcome to death row in Texas.

Hope to everything that is holy that he is denied computer privileges.

Couple of other tidbits --
  • Creep appeared to stop shooting because he ran out of ammo.
  • Was quietly driving his car away from the scene when the police blocked him.
  • Despite "lots of gear" he gave up to police without a fight. They were Latino. I guess armed Latinos are different than helpless children.

Man that's ironic.

bbm
That seems to be the biggest commonality imo, with these young men. I wonder what the family's and/or teachers, neighbors ect... anyone who has noticed a kid growing up friendless, unable to interact normally with practically everyone he meets... What do they do about it exactly? Anything? How can you just live day after day, knowing something is terribly wrong? Surely people where aware this guy was not able to get along with anyone, pretty much, at all.
I gotta side with you on this one.

Alienated, isolated; whatever you want to call these people.

They can’t form relationships in the real world, so they gravitate towards the digital one.

That’s where they find belonging, and some sort of cause to get behind.

And yeah, there were signs.

bbm
That seems to be the biggest commonality imo, with these young men. I wonder what the families and/or teachers, neighbors ect... anyone who has noticed a kid growing up friendless, unable to interact normally with practically everyone he meets... What do they do about it exactly? Anything? How can you just live day after day, knowing something is terribly wrong? Surely people where aware this guy was not able to get along with anyone, pretty much, at all.

Yes! A lot of the terrorists who immigrated to places like Germany and seemed to have good jobs and be doing well. Yet they joined terror orgs. Why?

Alienation. They felt separate from the rest f the western society they lived in even though many had been there for years. They often didnt have friends or many friends or women.

think we're gonna need another thread....

Dayton, Ohio Active Shooter Reports in Oregon District | Heavy.com

According to WHIO-TV, police “are responding to a report of an active shooter in the area of East 5th Street in the Oregon District.” The television station reported that multiple people were shot, the shooter may be down, and “medics are responding to the area.” The Dayton Daily News had a similar account.
Not a word on TV news channels...
It does seem true.
CNN airing footage next. 3:27 am EST.
Moo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online