CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
If BT had been hit by a car it would have been simpler for that person to call 911 instead of picking her up and involving themselves more in the situation by having her DNA everywhere and her possible death inside the car.
They could have been drunk, or afraid, and done something stupid to conceal.

We don’t that. Despite news coverage, she could bu UID, or could have been dumped somewhere. It’s worth exploring.
Yes, could have been dumped if they lost their nerve, but then she wouldn't be in hospital.
I can't believe that nobody has checked hospitals for unidentified admissions by now, though.

Thanks for this. We don't have too many RVs like this in the UK, I just checked some images on the interior layout and it's very plush.

Can someone please tell me - would you be considered financially well- off to have one of these, or are they quite commonplace in the US?

Also, they must be sweltering inside if you're in the desert. So do you have to leave the engine running, for the aircon? Or how does that work? I'm thinking of how much fuel they would get through and the importance of fuel stops.

TIA

A lot of people have RVs. I once lived near San Diego and if you drove through a working class neighborhood, there were many parked in driveways. You can finance them just like a car.

The AC does not depend on the vehicle engine, so extra fuel stops would not be needed. A fifth wheel RV like the Thomases have is completely separate from the tow truck anyway. You can detach it and drive the truck separately. If the rig isn’t plugged into some source of power, either at an RV Park or a generator, the AC won’t run, although you could run the fans off the RV battery for awhile. Not all RV’s have generators powerful enough to run the AC. I doubt the Thomases would run the generator while parked along the road for a walk, so yes, it would heat up inside pretty rapidly in the desert. They do have insulation, but nothing like a house does. My information comes from eight years of full-time RVing in a 34’ fifth wheel. Fun times. :)

What if she had heatstroke and someone came along, picked her up, and took her somewhere for medical attention? She didn't have her ID with her.
LE would have found her if she is/was in a medical facility. It is SOP for them to check in a missing persons case. MOO
The Power of Concentration?

@btfly547 :) Thanks for your post.
Re RT hearing a car coming to a stop?
Yes, seems likely imo if after BT went ahead by herself and if RT (or some/most ppl) were just relaxing & strolling along enjoying the walk, he would have been conscious of brake noise and alert to it.

But if BT (or some/most ppl) had been concentrating on, say, taking photos, adjusting camera/phone-cam settings, choosing F-stop, perfecting the exposure, framing the subject, etc., all his mental and sensory attention would be/might be laser-focused on his photography to the point of excluding extraneous sound.

IOW, if he was really wrapped up in something (presumably photography), he just might have been oblivious to traffic noises (if they occurred).*

Jmo, as a possibility. Some ppl have greater powers on concentration than others.

I thought about ^this after my better half said, "I wonder where those firetrucks were going." I said: "What firetrucks?" "Two of them, w sirens going when they went past the house five minutes ago." Yep, I had my nose in a riveting book, missed the sirens.
{{{ETA: Thinking about it later, I kinda, sorta, halfway believed I did hear sirens, but it just did not register w me at the time. Just an example. Maybe this is what happened w RT. IDK.}}}
RT was finished taking the photo when he lost sight of BT. MOO

At the :35 mark in the video
"By the time I took the picture, she was continuing on because she wanted to [use?] the RV. And, she rounded the corner and I lost sight of her."
Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect

They were on their way back to the camper when Bob said his wife started pulling ahead. He told her he wanted to take a picture of a rock formation and as he put his camera away, he saw her rounding a corner.
Husband of Woman Who Vanished During Mojave Desert Hike: 'I Just Want Her Back'
SPECULATION

bbm

How Search-and-rescue Dogs Wor

We have to assume RT showed LE/SAR where BT was "last seen" and that the tracking dogs (if that's what they were) were able to detect and follow BT's scent for at least some distance. If that was not the case (did not detect a scent or were not able to follow a scent through where RT indicated BT had walked) that might be a primary reason for LE not to believe BT was even at the location RT indicated. Has LE stated as much, either directly or indirectly?

If the tracking dogs did hit on BT's scent and had followed it toward and up to the location of the T's parked RV and no farther would that be enough for LE to consider abduction or could LE extrapolate from that point that BT had entered the RV and was still in it when it was driven away from the area?
JUL 19, 2019
Video: Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect
  • Authorities also say they have no evidence the woman was abducted nor have they found any trace of her.
  • Authorities are unaware of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared nor do they know how far she was from the RV at the time.
  • Officials also say that they are unaware of any medical conditions that may have caused BT to become disoriented or lost.

I've been studying overhead views of the Kelbaker Rd & Hidden Hill Rd intersection/turnout. The closest rock formations (as viewed in Google Maps) are approximately 0.5 mile west of the intersection. There appears to be a trail/Hidden Hill Rd extension that leads from those formations directly to the intersection. We might assume BT traveled eastward within the bounds of that extension since it's essentially a straight line between the points; there is no 'shortcut' path, it's a straight line.

If BT headed in a direction other than along the extension, how far might she walk before she would realize she'd have to reorient her direction of travel to get to the RV?

Approximately 1.4 miles north by northwest of the intersection there is what's labeled as "Primitive Campsite" shown on Google Maps:

Google Maps

...wondering if anyone was at that campsite during when the T's where hiking the area?

Click on the Google Maps link above then pan the displayed area... you will see where some campers park their vehicle; it would be virtually hidden from view until you happened upon the campsite area.

Last edited:
LE would have found her if she is/was in a medical facility. It is SOP for them to check in a missing persons case. MOO

RT was finished taking the photo when he lost sight of BT. MOO

"By the time I took the picture, she was continuing on because she wanted to [use?] the RV. And, she rounded the corner and I lost sight of her."

They were on their way back to the camper when Bob said his wife started pulling ahead. He told her he wanted to take a picture of a rock formation and as he put his camera away, he saw her rounding a corner.

JUL 19, 2019
Video: Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect
  • Authorities also say they have no evidence the woman was abducted nor have they found any trace of her.
  • Authorities are unaware of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared nor do they know how far she was from the RV at the time.
  • Officials also say that they are unaware of any medical conditions that may have caused BT to become disoriented or lost.
RT stated in the interview that BT wanted to "use the RV" (RT slipped through the word "use" as he described the situation, I had to slow down the interview to determine what he said), which I interpret as she had to use the on-board lavatory. Some people use the great outdoors to relieve themselves; others, not so much. I suppose it depends on what needs to be done.

As for BT's location/distance between the "corner" and the RV it seems tracking dogs were unable to reliably track BT's scent between the two locations for any discernible distance, assuming LE (via the reporter) is telling an accurate story.

Is it possible BT was experiencing an urgent need to relieve herself and maybe the RV was just too far away by enough that she couldn't make that seemingly short distance? If so, to which direction/where c/would she walk/run?

Might BT have turned to somewhere among the rock formations to find an obscured area? How deeply/thoroughly were the formations searched? Could the searchers have assumed BT would have been unable to scale/climb boulders?

RT stated in the interview that BT wanted to "use the RV" (RT slipped through the word "use" as he described the situation, I had to slow down the interview to determine what he said), which I interpret as she had to use the on-board lavatory. Some people use the great outdoors to relieve themselves; others, not so much. I suppose it depends on what needs to be done.

As for BT's location/distance between the "corner" and the RV it seems tracking dogs were unable to reliably track BT's scent between the two locations for any discernible distance, assuming LE (via the reporter) is telling an accurate story.

Is it possible BT was experiencing an urgent need to relieve herself and maybe the RV was just too far away by enough that she couldn't make that seemingly short distance? If so, to which direction/where c/would she walk/run?

Might BT have turned to somewhere among the rock formations to find an obscured area? How deeply/thoroughly were the formations searched? Could the searchers have assumed BT would have been unable to scale/climb boulders?
If RT's story is truthful and BT was approx 1/4 mile from the RV, that would place her about here when he lost sight of her: Google Maps which is just after a little bend in the trail.

IMO, urgent need or not, unless there was someone else on the trail she wouldn't have walked or run anywhere. If it were me, I'd simply step off one side of the trail. And, although I'm perfectly capable, I'm definitely not going to scale boulders.

I don't know how extensive the search was in the area of the rock formations, just that members certified in cave searches and rope climbing were used. MOO

OK, I hope this works. I added the vehicle pic to the missing flyer.

That is not a cheap set up...now I'm wondering about finances and insurance policies

Edited to add: I know one can buy used, but still pricey on retirement income unless one has a great retirement plan or savings. Also brings up someone else thinking they had money

Last edited:
bbm

If RT's story is truthful and BT was approx 1/4 mile from the RV, that would place her about here when he lost sight of her: Google Maps which is just after a little bend in the trail.

IMO, urgent need or not, unless there was someone else on the trail she wouldn't have walked or run anywhere. If it were me, I'd simply step off one side of the trail. And, although I'm perfectly capable, I'm definitely not going to scale boulders.

I don't know how extensive the search was in the area of the rock formations, just that members certified in cave searches and rope climbing were used. MOO

Let us not forget: there's #1 and.. there's #2. ;-)

And... if getting behind a boulder was your only option to obscure view...

From Pommy’a post above:

“.....I lost sight of her.”

It sounds so final to me.
"That’s the last I ever saw of her," he said.

That is not a cheap set up...now I'm wondering about finances and insurance policies

All fairly common in the RV world and people who own and LIVE in them increasing all the time, not cheap but in my experience common. How would this have anything to do with BT being missing? I cant figure it.....

All fairly common in the RV world and people who own and LIVE in them increasing all the time, not cheap but in my experience common. How would this have anything to do with BT being missing? I cant figure it.....
Here's what I am thinking.
If someone recalled seeing that particular truck and RV parked *somewhere*, and it is a large vehicle that you can't park just anywhere, then that someone could call LE and say, "I was at X location at Y time and I'm sure I saw that truck and RV". It would help LE to establish a timeline. ETA, it may be common in the RV world, but certainly not every truck on the road is towing one, and not every truck towing one is white. IMHO, it might trigger the memory of a passer-by. Sorry, I don't know the model of truck; maybe someone can help.
MOO

Last edited:
Here's what I am thinking.
If someone recalled seeing that particular truck and RV parked *somewhere*, and it is a large vehicle that you can't park just anywhere, then that someone could call LE and say, "I was at X location at Y time and I'm sure I saw that truck and RV". It would help LE to establish a timeline. MOO

There is a reason LE has not provided the public with more details about Barbara being missing. Three weeks have passed and not even a press conference asking the public for help. Nothing.

Their silence is telling. LE has so much information that will be out in the open once the investigation is completed.

JMO

If she had to make a turn there at that intersection but got to that junction and went straight instead she would end up about a mile or so from where she was supposed to be and it might have looked to her like where they parked. If she realized she was lost she might have flagged someone down or she may have tried to find her way back. She may have waited for a time thinking the truck was stolen. She might be much further south than they think.

Edited to add: I know one can buy used, but still pricey on retirement income unless one has a great retirement plan or savings. Also brings up someone else thinking they had money

At their age their home might be already paid off and they could have taken out a home equity line of credit on the house in order to buy the RV and truck. Just because people own something fancy doesn't mean they are wealthy. They could just be in debt and making payments. The reverse of your insinuation is that RT may have needed BT's monthly Social Security checks to make the payments on their recent purchase-- in which case he would want to keep her alive and with him. People who plan a murder for life insurance money typically want a body to be found. Barbara hasn't been found. MOO.

ETA: According to this article if no evidence is found of Barbara's death then RT will have to wait 5 years to have her legally declared deceased (AZ law since they live in AZ): Vanished: When loved ones are presumed dead

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members