OH - 9 killed + Gunman, 16 injured, Mass Shooting, Oregon District, Dayton, 4 Aug 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Oh no.... just seeing this.

Lord help us all.

It’s never going to stop.

You guys know usually I’m all up in these shooting threads, working on comparative studies and analysis, etc etc.

I’m just to the point where I don’t have any words anymore (hence my lack of posting in yesterday’s El Paso thread).

I’ve got nothing to add except that I don’t think it’s ever going to stop. Ever.

If so, please feel free to correct me.

And if you think it’s going to stop, how do you think that will happen.

Because the way I see things now it’s not going to stop. Moo Jmo and thank you for letting me share that opinion.

I said I was doing my case study on mass shooters. I will add the recent data from yesterday and today.

It’s like like child molestations and child abductions imo in the sense that those also will probably continue to happen as long as we are alive.

I’m sad that this is my opinion and I’m honestly hoping here that somebody can counter this post.

I’m really wanting to be corrected here. That yes this will stop one day. Can anyone find a way to disagree with me? Please? :( )

No. It’s never going to stop.

The best you can do is try and cut down on the frequency, and how deadly these events ultimately are.

It’s important to keep in mind that the odds of something like this happening to you or a loved one, are incredibly low.

You are far more likely to die in any number of different ways, than from a mass shooting event.

Gun violence is still a problem though.

The odds that a gun will kill the average American may surprise you

Attachments

• F5E4552C-8BC3-40F0-A7F1-9CDBA3CFDF9F.jpeg
    F5E4552C-8BC3-40F0-A7F1-9CDBA3CFDF9F.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 11
We're still not clear on the timeline. The Chief didn't know when the 3 arrived in the Oregon district or when they separated. There may have been considerable time between them separating and when CB came back geared up to kill.

We also don't know why they separated. We don't know if there was an argument.

I don't follow these type of cases very much.
Maybe because I can't makes sense of the extreme violence.
I can't comprehend the motives behind a mass shooter's actions.
Wanting to be famous (or infamous) for criminal deeds has never made any sense to me.
Seeing people as objects or part of some sick game is too abhorrent to comprehend.
I think these type of criminals are usually deeply mentally disturbed but at the same time that answer seems too simplistic. I also believe in evil. No one answer, no one solution seems right.

All that said, yes @margarita25 I believe it will stop one day. On the same day when every knee bows. On that day the evil will be gone and no more tears will fall. That's my personal belief only. I don't know if we will see that happen in our lifetime here on earth. I don't have any answers on how we as a society can stop it right now. I believe things will only get worse before they get better. We can only try to be light. The light shines in the darkness and the darkness can not overcome it. We can be the good and embrace the good shown through the heroes and helpers who risk their lives when evil things like this happen. That's all I know. I'm not up for a game of ping-pong today.

PS-- This post is probably too off topic. Mods please delete and forgive me if I've crossed a line.

MOO.

I would bank on fame being part of it but a major sense of hopelessness more than likely occurs where they dont see a future. Instead of killing themselves only they take out others before hand. Lots of anger too.

I don't know why that can't be said. After all these events wouldn't happen if people couldn't get ahold of them.

I want to know why this guy targeted his sister.

I preferred the way things are believed to have played out with the teen killers in northern Canada. They shot and killed a young couple in British Columbia along with a botany professor. They haven't shot anyone else since they've been on the run. It's believed the reason is because they ran out of ammunition and got rid of the gun.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
We're still not clear on the timeline. The Chief didn't know when the 3 arrived in the Oregon district or when they separated. There may have been considerable time between them separating and when CB came back geared up to kill.

We also don't know why they separated. We don't know if there was an argument.
Wonder if they were drinking?
Drugs?
In some areas it's still popular to do binge drinking and mix that with party drugs.

I would bank on fame being part of it but a major sense of hopelessness more than likely occurs where they dont see a future. Instead of killing themselves only they take out others before hand. Lots of anger too.
Seems he was enrolled in a community college
in 2017 -2018 but was no longer attending.
So you may be right, a sense of hopelessness.

so parent's aren't co-operating in investigation?
Maybe they're so shell shocked, IDK, but I think I'd co-operate w/ LE.

I don't know if that's true. I saw LE being interviewed in front of their house in Bellbrook and he was saying that the family is understandably devastated and having trouble holding up. He said the family was asking for and thankful for the privacy from the media. (I don't have the link because I've watched so many!)

Connor Betts: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

In his Twitter profile, Connor Betts, the 24-year-old suspected gunman in the Dayton mass shooting, wrote, "he/him / anime fan / metalhead / leftist / i'm going to hell and i'm not coming back."
In high school, Betts may have been suspended for drawing up a hit list on the bathroom wall, according to WCPO-TV. Chris Baker, the former principal, told the Journal-News, “I would not dispute that information, but I don’t want to get involved any more than just making that comment.”

Basically this principal confirmed it was true this dude had a hit list for his high school.

Likely the family already owned lots of guns. There were photos alleged to have come from his social media showing him shooting a very high powered gun when he was younger. The dad is probably a fan of guns and has a collection. He probably bought the murder weapon for Connor. Sadly a lot of kids are raised in such homes these days.
BBM.

Let's not blame the family until there is even a shred of evidence of that. The man just lost his daughter and his son, and you are saying "he probably" bought the murder weapon.

LE said in the presser that Connor ordered the weapon on-line from Texas.

In high school, Betts may have been suspended for drawing up a hit list on the bathroom wall, according to WCPO-TV. Chris Baker, the former principal, told the Journal-News, “I would not dispute that information, but I don’t want to get involved any more than just making that comment.”

Basically this principal confirmed it was true this dude had a hit list for his high school.
and some former fellow students say he was going to shoot up the school.
School was put on lockdown and Betts was
expelled.
Betts told a female student she was on his hit list and he planned to rape, kill and skin them alive.
Betts parents must have had years of problems
with him. MOO.
Oddly there not much engagement or photos
of father on their fb accts.
this young man obviously had some psychological problems and anger and impulse control problems.
Again, I wonder if he ever had counseling and to what extent.

Josh Campbell‏Verified account @joshscampbell 7h7 hours ago
This was a punch to the gut. I checked in with a law enforcement official for updates on the latest mass shooting. The reply: “You’ll have to be more specific regarding which massacre you’re referring to.”
So true. I'm catching up on WS with both of this weekend's shootings and having to pause as I read to remind myself which thread I'm on. (And remember way back to last week's shooting?)

Punch to the gut is right. This hurts.

jmo

This is a screen shot of the scene that was shown at the presser. Note the box to the left is where it was said the first victim was shot. The chief said the first victim was the sister and then the companion. So the sister was not at Ned Peppers. If you look up this area on google maps the 1st square if outside of a tatto club and Blind Bobs which is also a bar. So sister was likely at one of those two establishments or at least outside of it.

The rest of the victims are shot outside of the bar area surrounding the Ned Peppers bar on 5th St.

Also according to the 1st surveillance video shown during the presser, it shows that the victim went past the first gated patio attempting to go into Ned Peppers where he was shot multiple times by an officer waiting at the door way and also likely by the other officers on the 2nd video. On the 2nd surveillance video there are 5 officers that are on 5th street and directly behind and in front of the 2nd gated patio at Ned Peppers. Shooter would have had to have went into Ned Peppers to avoid these visible officers that were already shooting at him in the street. It was literally an expert ambush that occurred in under 20 seconds. Talk about brilliant teamwork and training in these Dayton Officers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 5.52.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 5.52.44 PM.png
    426.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
That also fits with what those who have seen the shooter's body say he's wearing after being shot and handcuffed.

Kristen Eskow on Twitter
From the surveillance video he was wearing all black and had a backpack on so I really dont' know how anyone would know what he was wearing unless he was hanging out before hand and people saw him before the shooting. Also why would be handcuffed if he was dead?

This is my post just now in the El Paso thread, but I wanted to bring it over here as I feel it is relevant here too, what this is like for LE and everyone else involved, what we can not IMAGINE unless you’ve seen it for yourself:

CNN / El Paso Police Chief Greg Allen this morning (my loose transcription, moo):

Chief is emotional:

“There’s not words you can place to say something like that...you know, you have to see it for yourself...when I first got into this job I never knew there was an odor to blood...but there is...and until you first hand see that, my description of it as far as horrific would be unserving as far as what that scene looks like. So I can’t tell you what that means other than for the normal individual that doesn’t have to deal with that on a day to day basis, it will leave an impression that you will never forget, I’ll just leave it at that.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members