Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangeworld

Reaction score
An Australian man and his American girlfriend have died in suspicious circumstances in Canada, sparking fears they may have been murdered.

Lucas Fowler is reported to be the son of senior NSW police officer, Inspector Stephen Fowler. He was found dead alongside his girlfriend, North Carolina woman Chynna Deese, in British Columbia earlier this week sparking fears of foul play.

Chynna’s sister Kennedy Deese wrote they pair were “homicide victims along a remote stretch of highway in Canada while on a road trip.”

An older style blue mini-van the pair was believed to have been travelling was found at the scene.

Canadian police are looking for anyone who saw the vehicle or offered assistance. They’re also appealing for anyone that travelled the stretch of highway around the time of the discovery to come forward, according to a RCMP media release.

3a2787b59f5c65af6f791d5450ed875f

673a3c10aa32ec585e2f11501db9cf48

Australian man found dead in Canada

Media, Maps & Timeline thread

Initial thread on suspects McLeod and Schmegelsky (now closed)

The Rules (aka Terms of Service aka TOS)

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10

Two B.C. fugitives probably ‘hit the road a long time ago,’ Mantracker and Survivorman say

Our rcmp were so slow off the blocks (4 hours to respond to the murdered couple, really?), that the killer of these 3 innocents has had ample time to frame the two suspects, over and again. Any cctv security tapes at gas pumps will have long now been erased, but it might have been helpful to have seen at least one clip of the suspects actually sitting in the Rav4. What we see in fact is only what the killer wants us to - the young dupes wandering around a grocery store, making sure he's put them on camera while he himself, cagely hides in back whenever public scrutiny was looming.
Its not illogical to surmise that the two suspect's own truck simply had mechanical issues and they were picked up by the killer who saw an opportunity in their gullability for excitement. He could easily have planted a possession of theirs at each crime scene, even used their own gun on the 3rd victim if they indeed had one, without the suspects even knowing. Maybe that's why the suspects aren't charged in the first murders - different weapon ballistic evidence.

Plenty of possible reason why all three would have hot-tailed it to such a dead-end location as Gillam. Its likely the killer knew the area from past experience, knew of the train schedules - remember nobody's looking for him at the time of the Rav4 torching. (or today) Perhaps he knew of a train time slowing past right after the burning. Wouldn't be a problem for the killer either to execute these two once he'd got them suitably framed, or indeed even stroked them into believing they would rendevous at some future fictitious point, and sent them on their way to perish.

Quite possibly the two suspects know nothing of the killings at all, but its almost a certainty that they're not experienced enough to have survived this long in such uncompromising bush. They've been dead a while. And sadly, the killer's long away as per the mantracker story above.

I can't imagine the heartbreak felt by all three families of the victims.

The public has not seen pictures of KM & BS sitting in the Rav 4 however there was a incident in Cold Lake Alberta were a gentleman helped them get their vehicle unstuck, according to his account there was only 2 of them and there was the checkpoint stop in Split Lake that also suggested only 2 in the vehicle. Where do you think the 3rd person may have been hiding during these encounters?
Should we dismiss these encounters because there are no pictures? JMO

Last edited:
The publuc has not seen pictures of KM & BS sitting in the Rav 4 however there was a incident in Cold Lake Alberta were a gentleman helped them get their vehicle unstuck, according to his account there was only 2 of them and there was the checkpoint stop in Split Lake that also suggested only 2 in the vehicle. Where do you think the 3rd person may have been hiding during these encounters?
Should we dismiss these encounters because there are no pictures? JMO

There’s no third person. Completely made up.

[rbm]

9 km along the river

so that means the items were spread out over that distance??

That's what I was wondering too. "9 km along the river" implies the items were scattered is what I'm thinking. Makes me think they were in the boat and it overturned.

If the items were all in one location, then that's a different story.

Aug 7 2019
As manhunt drags on, Chynna Deese’s family worries they might never get answers if suspects aren’t caught alive
"The details shared by police aren't enough for Deese's family to begin to understand the reasons for her death, her brother Stetson Deese said on Tuesday. Yet, like the general public, it's all they've heard since Deese and Fowler were found shot to death on the side of the Alaska Highway on July 15.

"I'd say the best word for it is confusing," said Stetson, 30, in a telephone interview from Charlotte, N.C. "These kids aren't going to turn themselves in and we're never really going to know why this happened."

The uncertainty about the suspects' whereabouts and the possibility that they may never be found alive is weighing on the Deese family, many of whom have yet to return to work due to the trauma caused by her sudden death.

"Everybody is having trouble accepting it. It's just one of the hardest things to accept," Stetson said. "She was perfectly healthy, she had what probably would have been her husband who she was travelling with."

"Some information has reached Deese's family through an unexpected source — Canadians who are alerting them to new tips through private messages on social media.

"It's comforting. It shows there's a lot of Canadians that really care," Stetson said. In the meantime, the family is eager for as much "inside information" they can get from the police, like updates on locations they searched every day".

Aug 7 2019
As manhunt drags on, Chynna Deese’s family worries they might never get answers if suspects aren’t caught alive
"The details shared by police aren't enough for Deese's family to begin to understand the reasons for her death, her brother Stetson Deese said on Tuesday. Yet, like the general public, it's all they've heard since Deese and Fowler were found shot to death on the side of the Alaska Highway on July 15.

"I'd say the best word for it is confusing," said Stetson, 30, in a telephone interview from Charlotte, N.C. "These kids aren't going to turn themselves in and we're never really going to know why this happened."

The uncertainty about the suspects' whereabouts and the possibility that they may never be found alive is weighing on the Deese family, many of whom have yet to return to work due to the trauma caused by her sudden death.

"Everybody is having trouble accepting it. It's just one of the hardest things to accept," Stetson said. "She was perfectly healthy, she had what probably would have been her husband who she was travelling with."

"Some information has reached Deese's family through an unexpected source — Canadians who are alerting them to new tips through private messages on social media.

"It's comforting. It shows there's a lot of Canadians that really care," Stetson said. In the meantime, the family is eager for as much "inside information" they can get from the police, like updates on locations they searched every day".

I hope they find the little punks. I don't know if the families will get any answers if they do, but they may find some peace knowing they aren't out there.

Aug 7 2019

So many people truly care. I do sincerely hope the Deese, Fowler & Dyck families will be given some answers/explanations. I cannot imagine their grief and to top that off with no feasible answers, it will be difficult for them to ever begin to heal. :(

Reposting my condensed Timeline here on the newest thread--this one supercedes any previous version. Again, any mistakes are my own, let me know if any corrections are needed. My goal is to have a quick reference timeline rather than a comprehensive listing of all the data:

TIMELINE as of 2019-08-07 7:40AM Pacific Time

July 13/14--Last known contact of BS w/Carol Starkey, grandmother.

July 14 11:30PM--C. Deese/L. Fowler seen alive, at van, AK Hwy/Hwy 97, 20km south of Liard Hot Springs BC

July 15 6:45AM--Deese’s and Fowler’s bodies spotted behind van by trucker

July 17—RCMP says Deese, Fowler deaths are suspicious

July 18—RCMP announces Deese, Fowler as homicide victims

July 18—BS/KM spotted 350km away, Jade City BC store, they stopped for free coffee

July 18 3:15PM--BS/KM spotted traveling south from Super A General Store, Dease Lake BC

July 19—BS/KM’s burning pickup, Hwy 37, 50km south of Dease Lake, 470km from Deese/Fowler

July 19—Man’s body reported at highway pullout 2km from burning pickup truck

July 19—BS/KM announced as missing by RCMP

July 20—(? Speculative?) Alberta RCMP confirms BS/KM spotted at a Fairview AB gas station

July 21--BS/KM in grey 2011 Toyota RAV4, get stuck in Cold Lake, AB. A local assists them.

July 21—BS/KM recorded on security camera in store at Meadow Lake, SK

July 22—BS/KM passed through alcohol checkpoint by band constables at Split Lake, MB

July 22--BS/KM sighted by store clerk where they made $20 petrol purchase

July 22 7:00PM—Burning RAV4 reported 40km northeast of Gillam, MB, 170km east of Split Lake, MB

July 23—RCMP announce BS/KM suspects in 3 deaths, possibly driving 2011 RAV4. Manhunt begins

July 24—RCMP ID body found July 19 near Dease Lake, BC, as that of Len Dyck

July 24—RCMP confirm BS/KM connected with burnt RAV4. Gillam area manhunt continues.

July 28—Alleged sighting, massive manhunt in York Landing, southwest of Gillam. No sign

August 2--Damaged green rowboat spotted by helicopter on shore of Nelson Rive

August 2—RCMP locates several personal items directly linked to BS/KM 9km from burnt RAV4

August 4--RCMP divers search Nelson River 29m around location of boat, report no additional finds

REFERENCES—those below, plus many others courtesy of the Websleuths community:

RCMP not ruling out link between missing Alberni teens, body found near truck, double slaying
(The above reference has some interesting points I have not seen elsewhere, including that BS’s father said he was closer to 125lbs, not 170lbs as reported by RCMP.)

Timeline of events in the deaths of three people in northern B.C.

Teens missing after burning truck and body found in Northern BC | News

RCMP divers to begin searching river near Gillam after finding rowboat, search for B.C. fugitives continues

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5237174?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:
So many people truly care. I do sincerely hope the Deese, Fowler & Dyck families will be given some answers/explanations. I cannot imagine their grief and to top that off with no feasible answers, it will be difficult for them to ever begin to heal. :(

People do, and everyone I talk to is so sorry that something so awful happened to them while visiting our country.

I don't think if the fugitives were caught and went to trial that it would explain anything. The pair would lie and deny involvement and the family would be no closer to an answer. There is never going to be a cut and dried "reason why".

I don't think if the fugitives were caught and went to trial that it would explain anything. The pair would lie and deny involvement and the family would be no closer to an answer. There is never going to be a cut and dried "reason why".
Unless they confess. After this amount of time in the wild and deprivation, who knows where they are mentally.
We need Jim Smyth, the OPP officer who interrogated Russell Williams, to talk to these two.

Unless they confess. After this amount of time in the wild and deprivation, who knows where they are mentally.
We need Jim Smyth, the OPP officer who interrogated Russell Williams, to talk to these two.
There's hardly any guarantee of that either.

The family is hoping for only a perfect outcome where the two are found, confess, show deep insight into their behaviour, and are able to give them all the answers. That so rarely happens...or does this ever happen?

I think the two are going to be declared missing and presumed dead, and while the RCMP may share share some information, as a open case they will not divulge everything. There are going to be a lot of hanging threads until maybe, some years later, bodies are found along the Nelson. The family will never know "why".

At least if the suspects are found/captured, it would provide some closure to what right now is a raw and gaping wound. It may never answer ALL of the questions, but it would be hugely preferable to all the speculating about motives and methods, the worry that the suspects may do further harm, and the need for some accountability for the senseless deaths of three beautiful people.

I agree, a trial would not explain anything other than potentially prove their guilt because there is simply no justifiable reason why three innocent people became victims of cold and heartless killers.

All the actions of K&B to date indicate they have absolutely no remorse IMO. Running, hiding like cowards, avoiding facing up to their alleged involvement causes the victims’ families even more hurt and anguish.

Worst case scenario, if the two did drown or face their fate in the bush but not enough evidence can be found to establish that as a certainty.

Last edited:
There’s no third person. Completely made up.

I think these theories about them being framed, etc. are coming about because of how young they look. Like even the guy who pushed them out of the mud said "I can't imagine those two killing anyone, they didn't even know how to give a proper handshake." It's really shocking to think that these two teenagers just out of high school could do this. But, the evidence indicates they did.

[...]

It sounds like maybe they haven't been given much more information than we have on what evidence links the two to Lucas and Chynna's murders. JMO.

There's hardly any guarantee of that either.

The family is hoping for only a perfect outcome where the two are found, confess, show deep insight into their behaviour, and are able to give them all the answers. That so rarely happens...or does this ever happen?

I think the two are going to be declared missing and presumed dead, and while the RCMP may share share some information, as a open case they will not divulge everything. There are going to be a lot of hanging threads until maybe, some years later, bodies are found along the Nelson. The family will never know "why".

They don't have to be caught or confess for answers to be found. Their online activity may potentially give a lot of answers for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee