CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't wait for her son's interview but I think the network coached him on what he could say and what he could not say. It was not as explosive as what he said before on facebook, I believe. I feel sorry for him
They may of coached him what he could or couldn't say but they sure zoomed in on those notes.

RT told his story to various media outlet including his description of her at the moment she went missing.. Told his theory as to what he thinks happened after days of searching with no proof of any kind. No witness.. He put up a defense for himself against LE who never accused in public... Did not say anything to family when it first happened or days later and then ran to a lawyer.
Apparently Some people think that was the right thing to do .. But to me, So much happened in the critical period and he never included family and now her son is lost for words. Apparently the son has no communication with RT.. He never said in his interview.
Thank you for your insight. It does make one wonder what RT is doing.

This thread has taken some interesting twists and turns, and there is certainly a group sentiment towards RT.

I'm trying to look at this factually, without my own personal filters that obscure logic and reason.

What I know (which is little):
-Two senior citizens living in the desert, seemingly happy and living a good life
-Wife is about to go see ailing brother in China; but disappears while on a hike with husband prior to her trip.
-Hiking excursions were normal for the couple
-Wife disappeared wearing a bikini, carrying a beer, and wearing a red ball cap.
-Husband did not call her son to inform she was missing
-Husband cancelled her flight to China
-Husband says he took a polygraph and LE said he was being deceptive
-Husband states he has nothing to do with BT's disappearance and that he believes she was abducted while crossing the highway to get back to the RV

So where does this leave us?
A husband stating innocence, and a missing BT, likely deceased. (Although we always hold out hope).

The burning questions for me are what were the actions the day or two before they went hiking? Did the neighbors hear any arguing, did anyone see or talk to BT and was she in distress? Was there any indication the husband was not in favor of the China trip? What did her life insurance look like, and when was it applied for? Is the husband on any type of meds? Did he go to the hardware store and buy any shovels/ropes/tarps, duct tape, etc? Bleach?

These are some of the questions that must be addressed.
Until I hear answers on the above, I am treating the husband as a Victim. It's hard for me to believe that an elderly (albeit vigorous looking) 72 year old is capable of the nefarious act some are speculating he committed.

I remain on the fence, but Victim friendly until/if such time as LE changes the Victim status.

I will also ask....what if you are wrong in your accusatory speculations? What harm have your posts created? How would you feel in his shoes if he is innocent? I ask myself these questions every time before I post.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This thread has taken some interesting twists and turns, and there is certainly a group sentiment towards RT.

I'm trying to look at this factually, without my own personal filters that obscure logic and reason.

-Two senior citizens living in the desert, seemingly happy and living a good life
-Wife is about to go see ailing brother in China; but disappears while on a hike with husband prior to her trip.
-Wife disappeared wearing a bikini, carrying a beer, and wearing a red ball cap.
-Husband states he has nothing to do with BT's disappearance and that he believes she was abducted while crossing the highway to get back to the RV

A husband stating innocence, and a missing BT, likely deceased. (Although we always hold out hope).

The burning questions for me are what were the actions the day or two before they went hiking? Did the neighbors hear any arguing, did anyone see or talk to BT and was she in distress? Was there any indication the husband was not in favor of the China trip? What did her life insurance look like, and when was it applied for? Is the husband on any type of meds? Did he go to the hardware store and buy any shovels/ropes/tarps, duct tape, etc? Bleach?

Until I hear answers on the above, I am treating the husband as a Victim. It's hard for me to believe that an elderly (albeit vigorous looking) 72 year old is capable of the nefarious act some are speculating he committed.

I remain on the fence, but Victim friendly until/if such time as LE changes the Victim status.

I will also ask....what if you are wrong in your accusatory speculations? What harm have your posts created? How would you feel in his shoes if he is innocent? I ask myself these questions every time before I post.

I’m only addressing the idea of a 72-year-old causing harm. This is just a generic idea and not accusing RT. I think a couple could go walking in the desert and an older person might carry a walking stick - my dad loved to carry a shillelagh. Kneecap or whack the head of the other person and leave them there. The victim needn’t be dead, just unable to walk in a place unlikely to be spotted.

Just one thought, and again I am NOT accusing RT. Just thinking about what could be possible for an old person (like me), especially vs a very thin and possibly frail companion.

Both this version of the photo and the mirrored one appear to lack the Exif data that would indicate where & when the photo was taken. I'm no expert, but think that such info often disappears when photos are posted to and subsequently downloaded from certain sites.

I don't know whether Exif data is preserved when a photo is cropped but guess that it depends on what app is used. For instance, if a screenshot is taken of the photo, my guess is that the info disappears; others can correct me if I'm wrong. I hope that LE does have the data for that photo, especially if it was said to have been taken on the day Barbara disappeared. I suspect that they do unless it was scanned from a print or something like that. MOO

Well, that's 2 votes for RT.

Even though we aren’t “voting” I can’t bring myself to accuse RT of anything other than doing some vaguely questionable things that we all might do in a similar situation. I’ve looked at this from all angles and victim-friendly has to be my default unless we have more info from LE.

Bolded by me.

Without speculating about RT's guilt or innocence, I too would like to address the part about a 72-year-old committing a nefarious act. As you note, if the older person has purchased implements which could be used in committing or cleaning up after a crime, suspicion might increase, just as it would for a younger person. In addition, evidence that an older person (or a younger one) had hired someone else to commit or assist with a nefarious act would also increase suspicion. I'm not saying either of these things occurred, but this is presumably what LE looks into when investigating disappearances that might've involved foul play. JMO

Last edited:
I’m only addressing the idea of a 72-year-old causing harm. This is just a generic idea and not accusing RT. I think a couple could go walking in the desert and an older person might carry a walking stick - my dad loved to carry a shillelagh. Kneecap or whack the head of the other person and leave them there. The victim needn’t be dead, just unable to walk in a place unlikely to be spotted.

Just one thought, and again I am NOT accusing RT. Just thinking about what could be possible for an old person (like me), especially vs a very thin and possibly frail companion.
*If* LE tells us the status of Victim has changed to POI, I think this is a plausible concept to consider, or even an argument that turned in to an unintentional death. Anything is possible along these lines.
Still waiting on more info from LE.

Even though we aren’t “voting” I can’t bring myself to accuse RT of anything other than doing some vaguely questionable things that we all might do in a similar situation. I’ve looked at this from all angles and victim-friendly has to be my default unless we have more info from LE.
Amen. Right with you.

Great post! Totally agree with every word.

Bolded by me.

Without saying anything about RT's guilt or innocence, I too would like to address the part about a 72-year-old committing a nefarious act. As you note, if the older person has purchased implements which could be used in committing or cleaning up after a crime, suspicion might increase, just as it would for a younger person. In addition, evidence that an older person (or a younger one) had hired someone else to commit or assist with a nefarious act would also increase suspicion. I'm not saying either of these things occurred, but this is presumably what LE looks into when investigating disappearances that might've involved foul play. JMO

I agree that age isn’t a consideration in this case. 72 is not that old...says Lilibet who is 73 1/2 and whose husband is 3 months away from a vigorous 75. We are both perfectly capable of murdering each other if we were so inclined. :eek: So I think we can leave RT’s age out of it...and quit calling him “elderly”! From where I sit 80 is elderly and it won’t feel elderly when I get there! :D

There are plenty of reasons besides age to consider him a victim at this point. JMO

I agree that age isn’t a consideration in this case. 72 is not that old...says Lilibet who is 73 1/2 and whose husband is 3 months away from a vigorous 75. We are both perfectly capable of murdering each other if we were so inclined. :eek: So I think we can leave RT’s age out of it...and quit calling him “elderly”! From where I sit 80 is elderly and it won’t feel elderly when I get there! :D

There are plenty of reasons besides age to consider him a victim at this point. JMO
Duly noted, and I stand corrected lovely Lilibet. ; )

RT told his story to various media outlet including his description of her at the moment she went missing.. Told his theory as to what he thinks happened after days of searching with no proof of any kind. No witness.. He put up a defense for himself against LE who never accused in public... Did not say anything to family when it first happened or days later and then ran to a lawyer.
Apparently Some people think that was the right thing to do .. But to me, So much happened in the critical period and he never included family and now her son is lost for words. Apparently the son has no communication with RT.. He never said in his interview.
BBM
This stands out to me for some reason. :(

LOL thanks for that.....good to know ;)

Goes a long way, too, for folks to stop getting the vapors at the idea of a 69year old woman in a bikini with a beer in her hand.....more power to her, is what I say!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken