Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austin Grabish‏Verified account @AustinGrabish
Getting ready for a live hit with @NomiaIqbal on @bbc5live to talk about the end of the manhunt for B.C. homicide suspects Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky. People around the world are watching this story and continue to follow it. Still many unanswered questions. #cbcmb

EBaHB4yXsAA2lBh.jpg

5:37 PM - 7 Aug 2019 pt

Maybe he was reading political stuff from the Nazi era and that was influencing him - stuff written 80-100 years ago. I can imagine writers of that time period "spoke of politics" to each other. Archaic and yeah, totally creepy.
That could be! It definitely reinforces the idea that he didn't interact well with people. I've wondered if either of them read much and, if so, what they read. I know KM's infamous shirt from the surveillance footage has a Lovecraft reference, but I don't know if he was a fan of that author, though it is reasonable to assume. If BS read antiquated stuff or stuff with bad dialogue or just didn't read much at all, it could definitely influence his manner of speaking.

There is quite liable to be a film out of this. The ambiguity/lack of detail actually gives the filmmakers more room to tell the story/invent as they please.
No, when they announced that they found the bodies people said it was anticlimactic and unsatisfying. A good movie has to have a good ending and I think the general consensus is that people would have liked to have seen them caught, tried, and made to explain themselves.

Maybe he was reading political stuff from the Nazi era and that was influencing him - stuff written 80-100 years ago. I can imagine writers of that time period "spoke of politics" to each other. Archaic and yeah, totally creepy.
BS was a supporter of Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, so could very well be present day politics.

What about all the officers allocated to the area to search on foot? The ones walking up and down the train tracks and the roads?

I don't think that we can over estimate how difficult the search was for the officers. There were no trails. The terrain was so challenging that the officers couldn't walk shoulder to shoulder as they normally do. Swamps peppered the landscape and they had to be searched too.

But to make it much more difficult, they were searching for two armed murderers. They never knew if they were walking into a trap and would have their heads blown off.

I can't imagine how stressful this was for the searchers.

Question for our Canadians. This may have been answered, but I don't remember seeing it. After the autopsy is done, do you think the autopsy report will be made available in its entirety or, if they do release anything, it will just be a very short, to-the-point cause of death and estimated date of death? I'm used to reading entire autopsy reports for American cases but am not sure that would be SOP for Canada.

cbc.ca twitter vid says a jet boat operator saw what he thought was a sleeping bag on the shore, prompting closer investigation that found their belongings, the divers, etc. It does not talk about the boat and does not say if the sleeping bag was open or still rolled up. It does not talk about the other items found. It is posted by Austin Grabish, CBC.ca reporter. Under #canadamanhunt

Does it say if the jet boat operator was an RCMP officer, or a civilian?

No, when they announced that they found the bodies people said it was anticlimactic and unsatisfying. A good movie has to have a good ending and I think the general consensus is that people would have liked to have seen them caught, tried, and made to explain themselves.

Have you ever seen the film Bonnie and Clyde, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or the original version of Breathless? Or Lindsay Anderson’s If..., which is the film that made a young actor named Malcolm McDowell famous overnight? Indeed, have you seen A Clockwork Orange?

The absence of defined motive plus the ambiguous ending gives filmmakers huge room to play.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Near" the shore can mean any number of things. They could be 20 or 50 feet from the shore and there would probably still be deep brush. I don't see why both can't be true.

Wow! I wonder if he went out specifically to do some amateur sleuthing of his own for signs of them.

And so it potentially wasn’t even the police that found the items?

...I think the general consensus is that people would have liked to have seen them caught, tried, and made to explain themselves.

Actually, I felt like that earlier, but now I am content to know this is over. I don't know that a trial will give the families any more answers, and would be an expensive, long, drawn-out affair.

Can you imagine coming to Canada from Australia for the trial only to find it's been delayed once again as is a common practice here?

Does it say if the jet boat operator was an RCMP officer, or a civilian?

it was a civilian - the owner of the jet-boat tourist Co. - link posted upthread

I brought the post here:

It's in this article:

"Clint Sawchuk, owner of Nelson River Adventures, thinks he might have helped draw RCMP attention to the wide, fast-moving river that powers several hydro-electric dams.

He spotted what appeared to be a sleeping bag caught in willows and reported it to the RCMP. He believes the Mounties spotted the boat as they flew by helicopter to investigate."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/rcmp-significant-announcement-1.5239053

BS was a supporter of Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin, so could very well be present day politics.
I understand from reading here since this began that posts venturing into politics is shunned, but if politics was their motive for these horrific crimes, it needs to be allowed for the sake of keeping peace in Canada. Our Minister of Public Safety sure seemed to think it was related, it seems.

I'm confused. A report is that the river guide with a jetboat, Clint Sawchuk, spotted a sleeping bag in the willows in the river. Yet, the reports also are also that the "linked items" and the bodies were found only about 8 or 9 km downriver from the RAV4. The Lower Limestone rapids are further than that, and the boat was reportedly found past them.

The bodies were apparently found within a KM of the linked items, in the brush, probably near the river.

The Lower Limestone rapids are the only significant ones in the area, save for a smaller line rapid at Sundance.

I'm now wondering if the boat was unrelated to the suspects, but lead people to look in the right area.

My further guess is the suspects have been dead a while, otherwise they would have been able to positively ID them immediately upon finding them.

I suspect there may be some innocent confusion regarding locations at the moment, similar to how reports kept varying massively about the distance to Gillam. Otherwise, an alternative theory is that the suspects managed to capsize that boat upon launching it (perhaps trying to climb in) in the relatively calm water near where the RAV4 burned. The boat then proceed to the rapids without them. Or, a wild guess that makes sense to me; they stole a boat that had been out of use for a long time, due to damage they did not notice. When they launched it, it began to sink.

I understand from reading here since this began that posts venturing into politics is shunned, but if politics was their motive for these horrific crimes, it needs to be allowed for the sake of keeping peace in Canada. Our Minister of Public Safety sure seemed to think it was related, it seems.

[bbm]

we can get along quite peacefully without discussing it here on WS thanks

Just caught up after a long day at work, and just want to add my thoughts on the events that transpired today.

First, I think RCMP is to be congratulated on a job very well done. It is so easy to criticize from an armchair, and we all can be great Monday morning quarterbacks. But for all those who had boots on the ground, working long hours in sometimes horrid conditions, your nation, and indeed we all owe you a debt of gratitude. Your professionalism and dedication is second to none.

For those who bemoan the likelihood that we will never get all the answers, I will only say that, as much as I know most of us that are invested in this case feel we deserve answers, we are owed nothing. I do feel for the victims' families, who I do know would love to have answers, but many, if not most of those answers died along with BS and KM. At least they can know that no other families will be left grieving because of their heinous actions, save their own families, who are also victims. RCMP are convinced that BS and KM are the murderers of CD, LF, and LD. That is good enough for me.

Finally, I think it is often a "local" case that brings people to this site originally. For all of you "locals" who joined us here, I am honored to have had the opportunity to "work" alongside you for these tragic weeks, and appreciate your valuable insight, and the wealth of knowledge you shared about your beautiful country. As this case begins to wind down in the days ahead, I hope that you will stick around. Sadly, there will always be evil in the world, and there will always be missing and murdered people who cry out for justice. They will need you. We will need you.

JMO

Last edited:
What assurance will the public have that the police have solved the 2 murders?

The police are confident that they have solid evidence, but that will be corroberated by independent, external sources including lab results. Once all the evidence is ready, the RCMP may or may not give us further details. My guess is that they will tell us some key details so that we too can be confident that the killers are properly identified.

Just caught up after a long day at work, and just want to add my thoughts on the events that transpired today.

First, I think RCMP is to be congratulated on a job very well done. It is so easy to criticize from an armchair, and we all can be great Monday morning quarterbacks. But for all those who had boots on the ground, working long hours in sometimes horrid conditions, your nation, and indeed we all owe you a debt of gratitude. Your professionalism and dedication is second to none.

For those who bemoan the likelihood that we will never get all the answers, I will only say that, as much as I know most of us that are invested in this case feel we deserve answers, we are owed nothing. I do feel for the victims' families, who I do know would love to have answers, but many, if not most of those answers died along with BS and KM. At least they can know that no other families will be left grieving because of their heinous actions, save their own families, who are also victims.

Finally, I think it is often a "local" case that brings people to this site originally. For all of you "locals" who joined us here, I am honored to have had the opportunity to "work" alongside you for these tragic weeks, and as this case begins to wind down in the days ahead, I hope that you will stick around. Sadly, there will always be evil in the world, and there will always be missing and murdered people who cry out for justice. They need you.

JMO

[bbm]

just jumping off your post to say ...
they didn't have any answers that would've satisfied us anyway

Have you ever seen the film Bonnie and Clyde, or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, or the original version of Breathless? Or Lindsay Anderson’s If..., which is the film that made a young actor named Malcolm McDowell famous overnight? Indeed, have you seen A Clockwork Orange?

The absence of defined motive plus the ambiguous ending gives filmmakers huge room to play.

ha ha, we will have to rewrite Bonnie & Clyde and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid not to end in a "blaze of glory" but in an unproductive two-week search ending with the discovery of bodies. It'll kill at the box office.

There is quite liable to be a film out of this. The ambiguity/lack of detail actually gives the filmmakers more room to tell the story/invent as they please.

true and good scenery. sad for the victims' families as it will cause them some sort of pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288