GUILTY TX - Belinda Temple, 30, pregnant, Katy, 11 Jan 1999 *Guilty again in 2023*

Seattle1, I disagree with you.

David Temple was found guilty as indicated in the indictment on August 6, 2019.
He was convicted of murder in the murder of his wife, Belinda Lucas Temple.

He was taken into custody in the State of Texas District Court #178 by the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

He was taken to the Harris County Jail (Houston, TX) after court proceedings concluded on August 6, 2019.

He has been in the Harris County Jail when not in court or the court's holding cell.

The judge is not male. The judge is a female, State of Texas District Judge Kelli Johnson - Houston . . . Harris County, TX.

Thanks for correcting me on the gender of Judge Johnson.

As you disagree, why do you believe she will set bail for David Temple after his jury found him guilty of murder?

A retrial for penalty phase is extremely unusual but he's been found guilty of murder, and why he was taken into custody as soon as the verdict was read.

August 9, 2019

Snipped:

A judge has declared a mistrial in the sentencing phase for David Temple — who was found guilty of murdering his pregnant wife — after the jury was unable to reach a unanimous decision. The conviction still stands.

Snipped:

The judge says the new trial to determine his sentencing may be in March 2020. Bail has been denied, and a bond hearing will be scheduled.

~ End of Snips ~

Read more:

Mistrial declared during sentencing phase for David Temple

Thanks for advising on the gender of Judge Johnson.

As you disagree, why do you believe she will set bail for David Temple after his jury found him guilty of murder?

A retrial for penalty phase is extremely unusual but he's been found guilty of murder, and why he was taken into custody as soon as the verdict was read.
Seattle1, I did not say anything about the bond.

For your info, Judge Kelli Johnson will set a bond hearing date as reported by several mainstream Houston media outlets.

Of course, David Temple was taken into custody by the Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies, in the Court Room, the day he was found guilty of murdering his 8 month pregnant wife, Belinda Lucas Temple.

I am a little confused about your above comment. I mentioned nothing about bond/bail in my initial comment to you.

Seattle1, I did not say anything about the bond.

For your info, Judge Kelli Johnson will set a bond hearing date.

Of course, he was taken into custody the day he was found guilty of murdering his 8 month pregnant wife, Belinda Lucas Temple.

I am a little confused about your above comment. I mentioned nothing about bond/bail in my initial comment to you.

Respectfully, you responded to my post that you disagreed with me.

And I'm also confused by your reply!

If it's not Temple being released on bond until his retrial, what exactly is your disagreement with my initial post-- besides me not knowing Judge Johnson's correct gender?

If anyone lives in the greater Houston, TX area and receives KTRK (ABC), they just broke into regular programming and said they will have the latest updates in the David Temple Punishment (Sentencing) Phase mistrial and what happens next.

KTRK (ABC) - CH 13

Stephanie Whitfield‏Verified account @KHOUStephanie
Judge says she’s thinking the new trial to determine punishment will take place in March 2020. There will be a bond hearing as well, so Temple could get out of jail pending trial #khou11

11:58 AM - 9 Aug 2019

JUDGE: “We will have to do this again likely”. This jury convicted #DavidTemple of murdering his pregnant wife, Belinda, in 1999. They could not come to a unanimous decision about a fair punishment. #khou11

11:56 AM - 9 Aug 2019

#BREAKING - After 25 days of trial, the judge has declared a MISTRIAL in the #DavidTemple trial. #khou11

11:54 AM - 9 Aug 2019

KHOU 11 News Houston‏Verified account @KHOU
#BREAKING: Mistrial declared in punishment phase of David Temple murder trial; conviction still stands https://on.khou.com/2TiBefP #khou #hounews

EBjNUZcXsAAmozp.jpg

12:01 PM - 9 Aug 2019

Does his time start anew or does he get credit for time served? For example, if the jury gives him 30 years, does he serve that or would it be 21 years (30 -9 yrs he served)?
Trial pundits say no. A new trial is suppose to be a clean slate -a do over, so his time served is not suppose to be considered by jurors.

Trial pundits say no. A new trial is suppose to be a clean slate -a do over, so his time served is not suppose to be considered by jurors.
His time served isn’t to be considered while sentencing him, but I’m pretty sure it will be applied towards any sentence. So if he was sentenced to 25 years, he would only serve 16 more.

His time served isn’t to be considered while sentencing him, but I’m pretty sure it will be applied towards any sentence. So if he was sentenced to 25 years, he would only serve 16 more.

After DT's 2007 trial, he was sentenced to life in prison. If justice prevails and he receives another life sentence, I don't believe his 9 years served affects anything.

He's been free more time than he ever served.

August 9, 2019

Andy Kahan, Director of Victim Services and Advocacy - Crime Stoppers of Houston, TX has supported the Lucas family for many years.

When he was the official City of Houston Victim's Advocate reporting to the Mayor of Houston initially and then to the Chief of Houston Police Department - Houston, TX, he worked tirelessly and attended every hearing and the previous trial with the Lucas family.

When he went to work at Crime Stoppers, he continued his advocacy and support of the Lucas family.

Andy Kahan has been in Court with the Lucas family during the David Temple re-trial and the past few days of Punishment Phase deliberations.

Today he was the spokesman for the Lucas family at their request.

Andy Kahan is an amazing advocate and he puts his heart into every case he helps the victim's family with.

Special thanks to Andy Kahan for all he does! I know he will continue his journey with the Lucas family in getting justice for Belinda Lucas Temple and her unborn baby Erin.
~~~~~

Updated: 6:29 PM CDT
August 9, 2019

Snipped:

Victim advocate Andy Kahan said the majority of jurors wanted a tough sentence.

"The fact that, from what we understand, the majority of the jurors were seeking a maximum punishment so that does give us solace," Kahan said.

~~~ End of Snip ~~~

Read more:

Mistrial declared in punishment phase of David Temple murder trial

Last edited:

Updated: 6:28 PM, August 09, 2019

Snipped:

Temple will remain in custody for the time being. No bond was set, but Temple's defense team said they plan to meet with the judge soon in order to schedule a bond hearing.

Read more and view video:

Judge declares mistrial in David Temple's sentencing phase

Last edited:

Friday, August 9, 2019
5:18PM CDT

Snipped:

Defense attorney, Stanley Schneider, asked the judge for bond, which she denied. A bond hearing is expected next week.

Snipped:

Crime Stoppers' Andy Kahan, an advocate for Belinda's family, said the family is disappointed but not giving up. He said they're also not pleased with the possibility of bond.

"You can't imagine a convicted murderer being released on bond. Hopefully, it won't happen now," Kahan said.

The new sentencing phase will bring a new jury to hear all the evidence again. They will not decide guilt or innocence, only Temple's sentence, which could be probation all the way up to life in prison. It will be the third time the family will hear the details of Belinda's grisly murder. She was eight months pregnant at the time she was shot and killed.

Snipped:

Prosecutor Lisa Tanner would not rule out filing for a change of venue away from Harris County.

"We're disappointed. We wanted a verdict. We wanted finality for the family," Tanner said.

~~~ End of Snips ~~~

Read more and view Video:

DAVID TEMPLE: Judge declares mistrial during sentencing phase for former HS coach who killed wife

Last edited:

Updated 6:36 pm CDT
Friday, August 9, 2019

Snipped:

“We wanted a verdict, we wanted finality for the family. But I would rather have a conscious, legitimate verdict than one that violated their conscience,” said prosecutor Lisa Tanner, of the Texas Attorney General’s Office. “I’m mostly still very, very happy that they found him guilty again for a second time.”

Snipped:

A new jury panel will hear testimony and evidence all over again before making a sentencing decision. It remains to be seen whether the case will be moved to another county to find less tainted jurors, given the media coverage of the murder and court proceedings.

Snipped:

Both legal parties agreed that a mistrial on sentencing is rare, and Belinda Temple’s family’s spokesman said he believed the outcome was “unprecedented” in Harris County.

Snipped:

Andy Kahan, the family spokesman who is also a longtime victim’s advocate in the Houston area, said that Belinda’s relatives are ready to continue the legal fight to get justice for the beloved school teacher and mother.

“They’re disappointed, as you can well imagine, but they’re as tough as nails,” Kahan said. “We’re going to come out blazing whenever this is reset.”

~~~ End of Snips ~~~

Read more:

Mistrial declared in sentencing of David Temple

August 9, 2019

I posted the Links (see above posts) to all of the updated articles/videos regarding the David Temple re-trial/Punishment Phase from Houston's mainstream media which are as follows:

KHOU (CBS) - Houston, TX

KPRC (NBC) - Houston, TX

FOX26 - Houston, TX

KTRK (ABC) - Houston, TX

The Houston Chronicle - Houston, TX

I hope this will be helpful to those who are following the David Temple case, especially if you are not from the greater Houston, TX and surrounding area.

August 9, 2019

As mentioned many times here, Andy Kahan is the Director of Victim Services and Advocacy - Crime Stoppers of Houston, TX.

Andy Kahan supports justice for Belinda Lucas Temple and unborn baby girl Erin.

The following is on Andy Kahan's personal Facebook Page. Andy posted it tonight, 8/9/19, about 9 p.m. CDT.

Andy Kahan
2 hrs ·
Temple Trial Update:

Belinda’s Family will once again continue their 20 and more than a half year quest for justice. They will never ever give up. They are warriors for Belinda and Erin.

The bottom line is no matter what happened today with the mistrial in the punishment phase, David Temple is a convicted murderer and will eventually be sentenced. We are resolved to ensure this happens.

Our next quest will be to do whatever we can to make sure Temple does not Bond out. We will need all your help whenever a hearing date is scheduled.

On behalf of Belinda’s Family and friend we deeply appreciate all your thoughts, love and support.

Sadly,we will once again need all of the above sometime in 2020. Wherever the trial will be held, we will be there.

On a personal note, I will never give up seeking justice for Belinda and Erin. It’s just in my DNA.

A big thank you to Lisa Tanner and Bill Turner and their staff from the Office of the Attorney General’s Office for a magnificent job and how they embraced the Lucas Family. You too are in our thoughts and prayers.

Source: Andy Kahan Facebook page - Click below

Andy Kahan

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member