TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.

The problem with Walmart is that they have no security. Most retail establishments do, but Walmart doesn't. (It keeps their prices lower)

Walmart has strained police forces in many towns due to petty crime and not so petty crime committed at Walmarts (Especially in the parking lots) Our local Walmart has truckers squatting in the parking lot and one trucker was sleeping on the pavement Thursday night. (Not safe)

The problem with Walmart is that they have no security. Most retail establishments do, but Walmart doesn't. (It keeps their prices lower)

Walmart has strained police forces in many towns due to petty crime and not so petty crime committed at Walmarts (Especially in the parking lots) Our local Walmart has truckers squatting in the parking lot and one trucker was sleeping on the pavement Thursday night. (Not safe)

MOO have the cart gatherers trained in retail security. Give them a belt with a body cam, walkie talkie, pepper spray and taser. Give them training and two bucks more an hour when they are outside duty. Have them walk the perimeter and then collect carts.

I wonder if the Ohio shooting and the El Paso shootings are connected? It is interesting that the Ohio shooter started his rampage almost an hour after the El Paso shootings? It is not unheard of especially with today's technology...

Laura

And some wonder why people don't want to give up their guns. If not for the recent shootings, this would have been released.

The violent, gun-toting film revolves around a group people from predominately Republican states being kidnapped and hunted for sport by liberal elites.

GLOW's Betty Gilpin stars opposite Hilary Swank, the two leads playing women on different political divides in an exaggerated re-imagining.

Universal pulls plug on controversial movie The Hunt following mass shootings | Daily Mail Online

Thank goodness they pulled that. What a terrible idea for a movie plot. Deliberately pitting separate factions of US society against one another. Class warfare. It's sickening that some folks only want to exploit our country's problems in order to make a buck. They aren't the only ones.

Don't know if this has been discussed, but SSRIs cannot be given to people with bipolar disorder. It makes them manic. If someone is psychotic with mania and part of their psychosis is paranoia and violence, I imagine it could add to or increase that psychosis or violence. I haven't been able to keep up with this thread, so I don't know if this guy was diagnosed, so the problem with SSRIs could be that it's given to people where maybe a diagnosis of bipolar has been missed before they are prescribed.

All IMO based on knowing about bipolar and SSRIs.

Antidepressants in Bipolar Disorder

BBM. Respectfully, this is a complicated issue. They should not be prescribed to people with Bipolar I disorder, as indeed these people can easily get manic.

Bipolar disorder, however, is such a wide spectrum... Bipolar I, bipolar II, bipolar mixed... while it is true that mood stabilizers are the staple of treatment, if it is bipolar II, and if most of bipolar cycles are in the "depressed" area, antidepressants are often used, together with mood stabilizers. The problem is compliance - it is probably lower with mood stabilizers than with antidepressants.

I just wanted to point out that we can not say "antidepressants should never be prescribed in bipolar disorder", as majority of bipolar cases are not bipolar I (manic), but bipolar II.

ETA: I read the article. The authors are alluding to "bipolar disorder", but all the ICD - 9 codes they use are for bipolar I disorder, and they don't specify it.

If only we discussed gun issue as much as we describe mental illness...

Last edited:
Thank goodness they pulled that. What a terrible idea for a movie plot. Deliberately pitting separate factions of US society against one another. Class warfare. It's sickening that some folks only want to exploit our country's problems in order to make a buck. They aren't the only ones.
Theorically it would be a good plot for a movie. I've never heard about something like that in my life.
The only problem is that maybe some psycho sees the movie, thinks liberals want to hunt him for sport and then goes postal....
Maybe Hollywood screenwriters should think twice before writing a plot! :(

Theorically it would be a good plot for a movie. I've never heard about something like that in my life.
The only problem is that maybe some psycho sees the movie, thinks liberals want to hunt him for sport and then goes postal....
Maybe Hollywood screenwriters should think twice before writing a plot! :(
I think it’s an awful plot, not to mention, full of plot holes.

I think it’s an awful plot, not to mention, full of plot holes.
Maybe it's an awful movie plot but at least is "something different".
Nowadays all movies seem all the same movie...same characters...similar sets...similar plots.
So boring... o_O

Oh, I have so much to say on this topic and not nearly enough energy to say it.
1. Our society keeps looking for quick band aid solutions for a very complex problem. Violence in our country is rampant. At some point along the line, we stopped respecting one another as valuable human beings. Sure, we all like our little groups, but the diversity of the American Population is what makes it great. We must begin teaching our younger generations that respect is important. That goes for positions of authority as well as those who are less fortunate than ourselves.
2. Entitlement. At some point, people started to believe that their own wants and desires were more important than the rights of others. It appears that the younger generations do not know how to tolerate loss, rejection, or disappointment. (I blame no longer keeping score in T-Ball and teaching our kids how to win or lose with grace, but that is another topic for another day) When these young folks, usually male, are rejected or suffer some other narcissistic injury, they do not know how to deal with the emotions and therefore begin to identify some scapegoat for their intense feelings. They then begin to ruminate obsessively over it until they snap. We must help people learn to handle frustrations in a way that does not trample the rights of others. The world owes us nothing, anything we get is what we have earned.
3. Deinstitutionalisation has not been very good for America. I work daily with the mentally ill and have found that they often are unable to get services until they have done something that violates the law. At that point they are court ordered to treatment, but it is often too late to prevent tragedy. It would be interesting to have people on this forum from each state to look into the waiting list for patients needing forensic psychiatric beds. I think it would be as staggering in most states as it is in mine. Getting early and effective mental health intervention could go a long way toward preventing numerous violent acts, mass casualty events, domestic violence, and suicides.

Obviously these are just MOO. I don't think we, as a society, can get away with just blaming the means by which people carry out these tragic acts. If we want to make meaningful change we must look at ourselves and see how we have had a part in the problem and then take the necessary steps to admit those failings and correct them.

Oh, I have so much to say on this topic and not nearly enough energy to say it.
1. Our society keeps looking for quick band aid solutions for a very complex problem. Violence in our country is rampant. At some point along the line, we stopped respecting one another as valuable human beings. Sure, we all like our little groups, but the diversity of the American Population is what makes it great. We must begin teaching our younger generations that respect is important. That goes for positions of authority as well as those who are less fortunate than ourselves.
2. Entitlement. At some point, people started to believe that their own wants and desires were more important than the rights of others. It appears that the younger generations do not know how to tolerate loss, rejection, or disappointment. (I blame no longer keeping score in T-Ball and teaching our kids how to win or lose with grace, but that is another topic for another day) When these young folks, usually male, are rejected or suffer some other narcissistic injury, they do not know how to deal with the emotions and therefore begin to identify some scapegoat for their intense feelings. They then begin to ruminate obsessively over it until they snap. We must help people learn to handle frustrations in a way that does not trample the rights of others. The world owes us nothing, anything we get is what we have earned.
3. Deinstitutionalisation has not been very good for America. I work daily with the mentally ill and have found that they often are unable to get services until they have done something that violates the law. At that point they are court ordered to treatment, but it is often too late to prevent tragedy. It would be interesting to have people on this forum from each state to look into the waiting list for patients needing forensic psychiatric beds. I think it would be as staggering in most states as it is in mine. Getting early and effective mental health intervention could go a long way toward preventing numerous violent acts, mass casualty events, domestic violence, and suicides.

Obviously these are just MOO. I don't think we, as a society, can get away with just blaming the means by which people carry out these tragic acts. If we want to make meaningful change we must look at ourselves and see how we have had a part in the problem and then take the necessary steps to admit those failings and correct them.
Agreed :)
Just a little amendment: you say "violent in our country is rampant"; I would say "violent is rampant everywhere"... :(

Husband whose wife died in El Paso shooting invites public to her funeral services

AUGUST 14, 2019

"A man whose wife died in the El Paso shooting is inviting the public to attend her funeral. The services for Margie Reckard, 63, will begin Friday at Perches Funeral Home in El Paso.

Antonio Basco had been married to her for 22 years, until she and 21 others were gunned down at a shopping center in El Paso on Aug. 3. Basco and Reckard never had children together, and he says he has no other family of his own. So he invited the public to be part of saying goodbye to her..."

Husband whose wife died in El Paso shooting invites public to her funeral services
---

Perches Funeral Home
· Yesterday ·

Perches Funeral Home

68435537_2867142819979723_4449580505133744128_n.jpg

147551.jpg

AUGUST 14, 2019

"A man whose wife died in the El Paso shooting is inviting the public to attend her funeral. The services for Margie Reckard, 63, will begin Friday at Perches Funeral Home in El Paso.

Antonio Basco had been married to her for 22 years, until she and 21 others were gunned down at a shopping center in El Paso on Aug. 3. Basco and Reckard never had children together, and he says he has no other family of his own. So he invited the public to be part of saying goodbye to her..."

---

Perches Funeral Home
· Yesterday ·

Perches Funeral Home

68435537_2867142819979723_4449580505133744128_n.jpg

147551.jpg
I hope the community comes out strong to support him <3

Crimes Against Persons is requesting the community’s help in identifying the person in the picture. His actions at Wal-Mart were critical and lifesaving, he needs to be identified and interviewed by investigators. Call (915) 212-4040
We believe this HERO helped save several lives including an infant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni