CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't he say he stopped for 5-10 minutes. She wouldn't be able to walk half a mile in that time. She was almost 70 and walking in the desert.

<snipped for space>

If she had to pee, she could squat down by some rocks - it's not like she would be overseen. But to claim that she took off like a speeding bullet in the desert the minute he said he wanted to stop to take a picture, strains credulity. JMO
==

RSABBM

A person walking comfortably but briskly will walk around 3 mph in my experience.

That means one mile in 20 minutes, or a half mile in ten minutes.

No speeding bullet necessary.

To be clear, my own theory is leaning more and more toward her not having been there that day at all. But I do think we should be as realistic as possible when thinking about the various bits of the story as given.

Yep.

You saying that triggered a thought that hadn't occurred to me before now:

If your wife went missing, and she had an adult son, would you or would you not contact her son on the off-chance that she may have gotten in touch with him somehow since then or maybe even communicated something to him prior to her going missing about her planning to leave?

I'm wondering if when RT first contacted db's family after she went missing whether or not he asked them if any of them had heard from her.

JMO.
yes I posted about this some threads ago GK.

if you believe she is abducted why haven't you contacted every single person she knows....just in case she could get a message out...a clue....like that might not be obvious to others if they are not aware something dire is happening.

SPECIFICALLY HER ONLY CHILD.

moo

BBM: Bless her heart! I hope we all have that kind of energy and drive at 81!!
I tried to get her to just go to the motel and turn on the A/C but she has always wanted to see that bridge and walk on it.

I went to a small (air conditioned) visitor center nearby and waited for what seemed to be forever for her to meet me. In fact I started to get worried because she was gone for a lot longer than I expected. But she did make it to the visitor center eventually.

It wasn't the wisest thing for my mom to do and I probably should have gone with her but I didn't.

Do you all judge me to be a bad son for not looking out for her?

It would never make the 4 mile unpaved road into my family's ranch.

But it could easily make it to many parking spots/turn-outs in the Mojave. It would have been dirty afterwards. When RT shows up in front of his house for Inside Edition, it looks pretty clean. I'm guessing LE took note. We don't know what they saw, though.

the whole premise of a mid afternoon hike in the Mojave in midsummer by driving a brand new rv to an isolated wide bend in a desert road is just so "out-there" that I find it hard to believe...

Really? The day I got my SUV, we packed and left early the next day for an even hotter spot (Death Valley). We did nothing but find isolated places. It was super fun. And very hot. I learned that 20 minutes out and 20 minutes back was at my outer limit.

It was late August - maybe hotter than mid-July. July is not usually the hottest month out there and lots and lots of people go there to recreate. One of my granddaughters just got back from a trip with another section of the family, out there. They do hot and then they go to the river. They love it. Then they go to Vegas and then to a lake again. For retirees with grandkids, who like rocks and desert, it's great. Way way hotter places than some of the Mojave, btw.

(Like Death Valley).

RSABBM

A person walking comfortably but briskly will walk around 3 mph in my experience.

That means one mile in 20 minutes, or a half mile in ten minutes.

No speeding bullet necessary.

To be clear, my own theory is leaning more and more toward her not having been there that day at all. But I do think we should be as realistic as possible when thinking about the various bits of the story as given.

Pardon me, but I believe your estimates of time and speed are off for the average person.

IMHO, BT and RT may have been very active for early seventies, but I don’t think they could do a mile in twenty minutes as stated above. They were not speed walkers, they were admiring the sights. They had no reason to be in a hurry as they had reached their destination for the day.

If we take RT’s sentences apart where words and their connotations raise an eyebrow, it points in a firm path that the story we have been told is made up. JMO.

It's quite possible she may have been wearing shorts and a bikini top and was drinking water out of the travel cup. The ''bikini and beer'' gives weight to an abduction theory.
It doesn't make any difference to me if she was wearing shorts and had water vs bikini and a beer.

She still could have been abducted either way. JMO

I don't have any issues with beer drinkers or wine drinkers or distilled spirit drinkers so I don't understand the disrespect. JMO
he said it accusingly imo
'she WAS WEARING A BIKINI.'....paused...then stated....
'she DID HAVE A BEER IN HER HAAAAANNNNND'...…..
then fumbled off into a nothing.

it was demeaning and disrespectful to Barbara the tone and the placement.
that's my opinion. its all open to interpretation at the end of the day.

and I don't have any issues with beer drinkers either for what its worth. but clearly RT does.o_O

moo

BBM

Agreed.

Most posters here at WS have given RT the benefit of the doubt.
Over and over.

Despite his words to msm, which are allowed to be discussed here.

Several pages back RT complained that LE were 'messing up' or 'ruining' the 'crime scene'.
I'm sorry, what ?

Until those words came from him-- I was under the assumption that : a) She became lost while trying to find her way back to the RV on a straight path and less than 1/2 mile from the fifth wheel.
b) Someone took her. Planned or otherwise.

So, what "crime scene" is he referring to, exactly ?

What crime scene? Your (b, unplanned,) which is the scenario he’s suggested.

Really? The day I got my SUV, we packed and left early the next day for an even hotter spot (Death Valley). We did nothing but find isolated places. It was super fun. And very hot. I learned that 20 minutes out and 20 minutes back was at my outer limit.

It was late August - maybe hotter than mid-July. July is not usually the hottest month out there and lots and lots of people go there to recreate. One of my granddaughters just got back from a trip with another section of the family, out there. They do hot and then they go to the river. They love it. Then they go to Vegas and then to a lake again. For retirees with grandkids, who like rocks and desert, it's great. Way way hotter places than some of the Mojave, btw.

(Like Death Valley).
It's very dangerous, there is no room for error or accident. A twisted ankle may mean death by thirst. Plus, it's a recipe for terrible skin issues later in life. I advise everyone to only visit these areas during fall or winter.

She’s not the love of his life. He was recently noted dying his hair a blond shade. Like new lingerie.
I missed this! Do you know where this was seen/said?

Whoever starts the FB page has to be someone who has the time and ability to administer it. Surely there is someone in RT or BT’s family or friend circle who could take this on if they were asked. Or maybe not?

In the Stephanie Warner case I’ve mentioned so often, it ended up being a WS member who knew friends of Stephanie’s who started the page. It ended up being WSers seeking and getting the media involved. But we didn’t step in until it became clear after about three months that her family across the country was not able to do it.

If my husband disappeared, I’d do everything that has been described here in several posts because of my experience in WS and my personality. I’m part pit bull. :DBut if I disappeared, my husband would initially shut down. Fortunately, our very organized daughter and his sister would step in along with our friends, and he would then dive in and do what was needed.

A month has gone by. Pretty much crickets. Is there no one close to RT who will guide him and help him if he needs and wants help?

I’d think even if he didn’t ask for help... you’d think he would have plenty family around him to ENCOURAGE him to do something. Personally even if I was a relative of RT’s and NOT doing something I would feel bad and feel like I would appear guilty. There would be nothing that would keep me from doing all I could even if my own dad/brother/uncle/grandpa etc wasn’t.

I would expect that these family members would volunteer to:
1. Start the Facebook page
2. Camp out at his house while he scoured Vegas
3. Be the family spokesperson
4. Call volunteer search orgs and beg for help
5. Heck they could even get the Atty to hold a press conference, offering reward or begging for tips. (I’d say Maleah Davis’s mom might not have been able to afford help but somehow she was in news and had a mouthpiece every day)
6. I bet these family members could even do a podcast or video the way Makenzie Lueck’s friends did.
7. If I had “friends in high places” I’d be calling on them for help and exposure.
8. Plan prayer vigils of which media would likely cover.
9. Start a go fund me if that was a minute problem.
10. I’d visit anywhere she normally went to see if anyone had leads. Stores, church, gym, bingo, hair, nails, vet, etc. (just guessing)
11. I’d make a banner and plaster it to the side of my rv and drive all around Vegas.
12. Hound any and all journalists i could find.

But. As you said. Cricketssss

I tried to get her to just go to the motel and turn on the A/C but she has always wanted to see that bridge and walk on it.

I went to a small (air conditioned) visitor center nearby and waited for what seemed to be forever for her to meet me. In fact I started to get worried because she was gone for a lot longer than I expected. But she did make it to the visitor center eventually.

It wasn't the wisest thing for my mom to do and I probably should have gone with her but I didn't.

Do you all judge me to be a bad son for not looking out for her?
no!
just because someone is elderly they still have the right to their freedom of choices.
I bet she had no regrets about what she did. :)

But it could easily make it to many parking spots/turn-outs in the Mojave. It would have been dirty afterwards. When RT shows up in front of his house for Inside Edition, it looks pretty clean. I'm guessing LE took note. We don't know what they saw, though.
Are you saying that the fifth wheel trailer was never out in the desert or that RT washed evidence off of the exterior of it?

And you learned this fact by watching Inside Edition on your TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member