Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that the press conference will be in the next 4 hours, by 3:00 PM Vancouver time. They haven't held any PC's later than that (so far).

It's still only late morning (11:00 am) there right now.

BC RCMP twitter is @BCRCMP

Any hints on what time the PC is?

Best I can find is "later today". I had heard 11:30 PT BUT I now can't remember where I heard that so....this is the best I could find.

Mounties to give update in McLeod, Schmegelsky case today

ETA: Are they even holding a press conference for sure? Or are they just giving an update? Does anyone know? I definitely thought I had heard press conference, but maybe not?

Last edited:
I am so torn on this. What if CD's family went on 60 Minutes? They are choosing to be more private, but LF's father made public statements as well.

AS is not his son, I don't feel he should be vilified. Yes, he chose to speak to the media, but I think he's a bit naive and maybe thought he was doing the right thing. The book thing - terrible idea, just bad to do but I don't see him trying to manipulate, and shine in the limelight I just think he doesn't know any better.

I honesty think if he was a middle-class, outstanding career type citizen wearing a suit and was eloquently speaking he wouldn't be getting picked on. He is not media savvy, looks a bit rough and has a checkered past so I think people are judging him more in a sense. JMO.

CD’s sister has no reason to go on 60 minutes and lash out at the injustices of the world. That was the main point to her writings, that her family is not like AS so he cannot possibly speak for how they feel. It was AS who made the comparison to CDs family - “I have just lost my son. I know exactly how you feel.”

What CD’s sister wrote, in part -

There is no white flag of surrender for my family. We are not defeated by divorce, mental health, violence, poverty and socioeconomic constraints, domestic disputes, alcohol or drugs, social media and bullying, feelings of loneliness, or disparities. We have the courage to ask for and offer help. We are strong, and stand strong together right now in the face of all of these adversities that have come upon us. Our understanding of life is that we cannot always control it, and it is not always our place to question it, but we have the power to discern how we choose to react.
"But we still forgive you and have mercy": BC murder victim's sister posts message to Bryer Schmegelsky's father - chvnradio.com

Could BS and CM have been heading to Gillam attracted by the possibility of work on the massive hydro project there?

Manitoba Hydro is always looking for workers at the (Gillam) Keeyask location.
Keeyask Generating Station

They might have quite understandably changed their minds on that idea...
This article suggests that conditions there make Pt Alberni look like Club Med.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/keeyask-workplace-culture-assessment-report-racism-1.4802971
I don't think when you are running from LE and accused/suspected of 3 murders that seeking employment ranks high on your list.

I've not seen it announced anywhere that a PC is being arranged, only confirmation that autopsies are complete, and formalities underway to officially identify the bodies.

From Sunday CBC News:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bc-fugitive-autopsies-done-1.5243304

Autopsies on two bodies found by police in northern Manitoba during a search for B.C. fugitives Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod are complete, an RCMP spokesperson confirmed Sunday.

Sgt. Paul Manaigre said RCMP have formalities to complete before they can officially identify the bodies. However, he said it's believed the bodies are those of the suspects.

More details are expected on Monday from RCMP in B.C., Manaigre said, adding it will ultimately be up to Mounties in that province to release any information.

"Under the Fatality Inquiries Act, there's a few procedures that need to be carried out in order for us to … say with absolute certainty that these are the two people," Manaigre said. bbm

"So we're just kind of waiting on those formalities to be done and then that information will be shared."

If $20 fuel at Split Lake went into the tank, I don't think they ran out of gas. I believe this was the end of the road for them. MOO

$20 is about what it would take to get from Split Lake to Sundance. Also, Split Lake is about 7km off the main road, so they may have made that side trip because they were running low.

But it's just speculation. Another thing worth noting is that $20 fills a jerry can, which would be quite useful for setting a car on fire.

I’m new and I’m sorry for what I said that was rude. But its my honest truth and take on my family from there. There is a lot of them as my grandma and grandpa got divorced and remarried A LOT. And had more children and then they had kids etc..... and almost everyone has a mental illness, LD or is on the spectrum.

I took your post with some humor and your experience. It's your opinion so that's fair.

I grew up in a smaller town where I found some of the "lifer" people to be ignorant and judgmental, so I got outta there! Couldn't stand the place. Others go there and love it, to each their own!

I haven't heard the best things about Port Alberni living in Victoria but depends if your a city person, small town or country person and interests/lifestyles. So far, the people I've met from there are really down to earth great people! Not a place I'd like to live though as I like Comox Valley better lol

If they were planning a true escape, seems strange that their plan would be to drive east until they ran out of road close to Hudson's Bay.
Why does it seem strange? They were self claimed 'survivalists' - I'm sure they had enough smarts to know there are consequences to their actions. Simply the massive cross country search launched to find them was possible a plus in their own distorted minds. Right to the end - they could have turned themselves in but that is admitting weakness. In their minds they went out on their terms and to them it would be a 'win'. If not till they ran out of road or Hudson Bay where do you think would have been a better idea for them to escape to? IMHO many people who commit a variety of crime, or don't want to be 'found' tend to go up to the northern parts of Canada and Alaska to 'disappear' from society.

I don’t believe it has been 100% confirmed that there will be a press conference today. Everything I have read says expected and we may get an update. The RCMP has not officially said there will be a press conference today. Fingers crossed we don’t have to wait another day.

No announcement on autopsies by RCMP. I don't believe they will address public until formal identification of bodies is 100% complete.

Last update on this case from BC RCMP:

BCRCMP‏Verified account @BCRCMP
#NorthDistrict #DeaseLake #NorthernRockies - BC RCMP announce update in the ongoing northern BC homicide investigations http://bit.ly/2GU4Mvk

EBZ_kMDUYAAn6SD.jpg

5:05 PM - 7 Aug 2019 PT

CD’s sister has no reason to go on 60 minutes and lash out at the injustices of the world. That was the main point to her writings, that her family is not like AS so he cannot possibly speak for how they feel. It was AS who made the comparison to CDs family - “I have just lost my son. I know exactly how you feel.”

What CD’s sister wrote, in part -

There is no white flag of surrender for my family. We are not defeated by divorce, mental health, violence, poverty and socioeconomic constraints, domestic disputes, alcohol or drugs, social media and bullying, feelings of loneliness, or disparities. We have the courage to ask for and offer help. We are strong, and stand strong together right now in the face of all of these adversities that have come upon us. Our understanding of life is that we cannot always control it, and it is not always our place to question it, but we have the power to discern how we choose to react.
"But we still forgive you and have mercy": BC murder victim's sister posts message to Bryer Schmegelsky's father - chvnradio.com

I liked CD's statement I might make the same type if it was me but I can't help feel like it's not a competition on demographics, family backgrounds and mourning.

AS doesn't know how to communicate eloquently, he probably lacks the education CD's family seems to have and lucky to have.

I am glad CD's sister/family haven't been defeated by troubles. Their reactions and words are apples and oranges in a way, I don't feel comfortable comparing them I guess. They do seem cut from two types of cloth, but human nature is what it is. Not everyone is graceful in times of strife.

As far as I know, "lay coroners" are basically used in the north, (NWT, Yukon, and Nunavut), especially in remote places. Some of them are RN's and they're capable of pronouncing a person dead.
Some are but they don't have to be. The list of qualifications is pretty minimal in Yukon.

"Experience in medical or legal disciplines, investigation, working in highly sensitive situations, and other relevant training and experience will be considered an asset."

They are community coroners though and do report to the Chief Coroner in Whitehorse.

Thank you all who responded to my lawsuit question, you have provided great info on Canadian law and procedures regarding these kind of crimes.

In thinking some more about the whole situation, I am also wondering about the various actions and reactions of the families involved, especially as time goes on, more details emerge, and relatives continue processing all the complex emotions as they deal with the loss of their loved ones. We have already seen some unhappiness expressed between the Deese family and AS over statements made. I doubt that is the end of it. Here in the US, we (sadly) have a culture of pointing fingers, trying to figure out who is at fault when things go wrong. Could that happen between the families of the two suspected murderers? What if evidence points to one or the other being the ringleader or actual perpetrator of the killings?

Also mental health cost isn't the only part of mental health access. Even if mental health care is affordable, are there therapists in the area who have regular appointment availability? (Don't know about Canada but this is a huge problem in New Jersey where I live, despite the fact that medical professionals specifically gravitate to NY/NJ.) Do family members have their stuff together enough to actually take their kid to therapy every week? If not, is anyone else making sure this happens? Do family members know enough about mental health to know what to look out for in the first place so they know if someone is going down a bad path? Or do they have so many mental health issues of their own that they are lost in that regard? In fact, is it possible that they even have a hate or distrust of social workers, therapists, etc. due to their own experiences in the system? (VERY common) Is the school looking out for anything? Is the community looking out for anything? Or are they just saying "not my responsibility" and passing the buck to avoid liability? After Kam/Bryer became legal adults, was there anyone keeping an eye on them, or were they left to their own devices to slip through the cracks and "sorry, they're adults, we can't tell them whether to go to treatment." And so on.

I mentioned long waiting lists for services in one of my posts, which is a reality in Canada as well.

I am proud to say that I know of a school that has two psychologists that go to the school two days a week each. Additionally, the school has a mental health therapist and a school counsellor. Families can be involved in sessions if they choose to and most will sign consent forms for their students to attend sessions with the psychologist or therapist. It is rare for a student to decline the services. If a parent declines to sign permission forms and their son/daughter has troubling behaviour and/or mental health issues there is a circle for parents/guardians and appropriate school personnel. As a result of the circle, decisions/choices need to be agreed upon for their son/daughter to continue with their education at that school.

As you mentioned because some parents although meaning to, don’t follow up with outside sessions for their sons/daughters, the services are available at the school. And, indeed many parents are suffering from grief/loss and complex trauma etc., so it is difficult for them to help their own children and/or recognize mental health issues in their children, hence the services are provided at the school.

This school’s mental health program is certainly not the norm in Canada, though it would be nice.

Last edited:
Her anger is misdirected but understandable and I think she's trying to make sense of something horrible. The suspects are dead, there will be no justice for her sister (and the others) in a court of law. There is no opportunity to hold the suspects accountable for their actions, and she's angry.

AS isn't helping matters with his public statements and I get the feeling that some of her anger is directed at his book and how, when, and why he went about sending copies of his book to various media outlets. She even mentioned how her family has faced hardships but don't blame "broken systems" and that her sister rose above her circumstances and wanted to help people who were troubled.

Imagine her position throughout this entire thing. Her sister was just brutally murdered, and here comes AS saying his son is a "good boy," "a child," "a little boy," "not a Nazi, but was fascinated by Nazis," yet had Nazi material etc... (I'm NOT saying I think BS was a neo-Nazi)...there were all these red flags, and though I agree AS isn't to blame, I can see where CD's sister's rage comes from.

I agree. She’s trying to make sense of something horrible that’s changed her world overnight. And because the case has become so public she gets to go through the process publicly too. Hopefully media will allow her to express herself and allow her to feel whatever she does without hounding her for clarification, as it will only add further drama that’s unnecessary.

AS is also trying to make sense of everything while in the throes of grief, but I think it was incredibly wrong of the media to offer him such a public platform to do so. They should have higher ethics IMO. Maybe in a year or two on a documentary type show perhaps but not like they did.

You could be onto something. I have been looking at the impacts of gas house emissions from the forest industry, and was surprised when I realized that they are not counted and are largely ignored by the province. Also, the pulp mills are huge sources of both air and water pollution, especially if they are producing bleached pulp. Some studies estimate that the industry is responsible for 50% of all the waste dumped into the nation’s waters & is a common air contaminant. Many people burn wood for heating and in their fireplaces which produces high levels of pollutants. Untreated effluents have a very toxic effect on the environment and any living organisms. I have seen where a number of companies have been fined for failure to treat the effluents properly.

There's a theory that the crime rates of the 70s and 80s were caused by lead poisoning from lead paint, and that once lead paint was phased out, that's why crime rates have dropped ever since.

Sick Kids Are Just the Beginning of America’s Lead Crisis

I was so close to replying to that overly dramatic and hyperbolic reply to you, but I knew that someone else would do it much more eloquently than I could or would. I admire how amazingly intelligent yours was! I love your posts, including this one! Thank you :)

Thank you! You are so kind. (Sorry to get all personal and weird) I just feel really passionately about this topic, because I've LIVED it. I'm STILL living it. This whole violence, dysfunction, untreated mental illness, isolation, addiction, homeless family members, lack of socioeconomic mobility, not knowing how to act properly around the general population, family members threatening to kill each other, police and social workers coming over on the holidays...yeah I've been through allllll of that. When I was 12 I pulled a knife on police officers that were arresting my mom. They almost shot me. The next day I went to my school's Halloween dance and pretended everything was totally normal and nobody would have guessed any of that had happened. And when my mom got out of central booking, she yelled at me, not for almost getting shot, but for going to the Halloween dance instead of "supporting her in her time of need." And I actually felt guilty about it. Like, that was my normal life.

For me, the path to try to become a normal person, like without weird anger issues and dysfunctional behaviors and whatever, has been like clawing up a sheer cliff face with my bare hands. Thanks to some good luck, I had some positive influences in my life that helped. And thanks to even better luck, I had the ability to look at myself and my family and be like "yeah, this isn't acceptable, I have to do better than this." But I'm still not there yet.

However getting back to this case...I know it's very rare for people to have no potential to be fixed from that kind of stuff. Especially at a young age, this can be turned around, maybe not restored to 100% functionality, but at least stopped from the worst consequences like them turning to violence. In fact, we know how to turn it around...we're just not doing it. And I'm so tired of seeing pointless deaths happen, over and over again, because we aren't putting in an effort as a society to turn this kind of stuff around, because it's "too expensive" or goes against our individualistic culture or whatever. Those aren't excuses, when peoples' lives are at stake.

Anyway sorry to get all personal and weird and this will probably get deleted but like...I know enough about this stuff to see the patterns.

I don't think when you are running from LE and accused/suspected of 3 murders that seeking employment ranks high on your list.
I would definitely agree - except they were not accused / suspected of 3 murders until the day before their vehicle was torched. There is one thing for sure. They had been driving across country in the Rav 4, a stolen vehicle that most likely stolen by them. Whether or not they murdered anybody was then, and still is, a subject of conjecture, until proven otherwise. MOO

Could that happen between the families of the two suspected murderers? What if evidence points to one or the other being the ringleader or actual perpetrator of the killings?

I sensed that in AS very first news interview when he wanted us to know that BS didn't drive, BS spent countless nights at KM's house, etc., and finally stopped himself saying he didn't want to upset KM's family. (I think AS also wanted to say the firearm may have come from KM's home). MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny