Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, at this point pretty much everything is redundant for people who have been on here since the beginning. I am going to take my leave until the BC RCMP have the next press conference or there is some interesting new info to discuss. Cheers!

Same. It's just going in circles at this point based on the same limited set of information. The report won't be out for a few weeks. Reading between the lines (such as, the fact that they expect the report to be out fairly soon) I get the sense that the police have a decent idea by now of what happened and the motive. My speculative theory is they found a bunch of stuff pointing in that direction, maybe digital evidence. I imagine there will be stuff in the report that we never saw coming and stuff that we wish we never read. I've speculated on every possible scenario I can think of, armchair-psychoanalyzed these two weirdos to a ridiculous degree, made all the rants about the preventable factors that led to this that I felt were important to make, and it's just a waste of time to restate the same things over and over. I'll be back but I think I'll try to stay away from here (and get back to normal life....) until the report is released. It's been real, y'all.

To whatever degree the response of the McLeods and Bryer’s family could be described as denial, I think it’s still within expected range at this point. When you genuinely don’t understand, it’s realistic to wait for more facts. In a way it’s the last bit of parenting you get to do in a circumstance like this - support your child and believe in him until it’s clear he is responsible.

<modsnip: off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be easy to source a hunting rifle in BC. Many people hunt, when out walking the dog often come across target practice places up on the logging roads and there are farms and pesky bears. Finding a hand gun would not be so easy.

You missed an important part in your comment. The people that legally own rifles do not loan them out to just anyone (rarely even to other PAL holders) and PAL holders DO NOT leave rifles stashed somewhere up logging roads. Because it is illegal.

You missed an important part in your comment. The people that legally own rifles do not loan them out to just anyone (rarely even to other PAL holders) and PAL holders DO NOT leave rifles stashed somewhere up logging roads. Because it is illegal.

Sorry to inform you, but yes, legal firearms are left carelessly stored all the time. Just the other day a man was charged for having a crazy amount of guns - legally owned all over his house willy nilly.

Ughh, I read the Wiki, it sounds like a violent, disgusting game (imho, I personally wouldn't want to play it). There are definitely some interesting similarities between the game, and how the suspects acted out their 'real life trip'.

I wonder now just how much effect violent games like this can have on a young persons developing brain? Especially if they may have already hidden proclivities towards violence? Not to insinuate that all violence in games is bad, I know a few adults who play Minecraft, and they are normal, nice, hard-working people, who wouldn't hurt anyone, or anything.

From Wikipedia: "Upon death, a screen with an option to respawn at a random location or at a sleeping bag placed prior appears."

There have been numerous studies on the subject that have shown no connection between video games and real life violence.

Also connecting the sleeping bag in rust to finding a sleeping bag with the boys is a big nothing burger with all due respect to everyone looking at that angle. You also eat food and drink in that game, and they found Pork Chops are Oranges at one of the crime sites!

but you need to eat to survive, and you need some kind of sleeping bag to sleep in the woods. nothing to see here IMO.

To whatever degree the response of the McLeods and Bryer’s family could be described as denial, I think it’s still within expected range at this point. When you genuinely don’t understand, it’s realistic to wait for more facts. In a way it’s the last bit of parenting you get to do in a circumstance like this - support your child and believe in him until it’s clear he is responsible.

The silver and gold for parental denial have got to go to Shannon Adamcik and Madeleine Burns respectively. I learned about Shannon Adamcik from somebody here in an earlier thread, and have since read her crazy *advertiser censored* book. Burns is Dellen Millard’s mother. I’ll try and dig up her letter and post it. If you don’t know that case, it is a fairly incredible one for many reasons, and worth a look. Some superficial similarities to this case in that we had one “respectable” friend and one obviously troubled one, and between the two of them three people ended up dead. There are a couple of ‘60 Minutes’ type pieces that are well done and give a good sense if anybody is interested during a lull. (CBS 60 Minutes type, not tabloidy 60 Minutes type):

Also a good long form CBC article:

https://www.cbc.ca/interactives/longform/news/wayward-son-dellen-millard-tim-bosma-trial
Fifth Estate is the best! Don’t recall them talking about Millard’s mother though, would like to see more info on that. He is one messed up dude!

There have been numerous studies on the subject that have shown no connection between video games and real life violence.

Also connecting the sleeping bag in rust to finding a sleeping bag with the boys is a big nothing burger with all due respect to everyone looking at that angle. You also eat food and drink in that game, and they found Pork Chops are Oranges at one of the crime sites!

but you need to eat to survive, and you need some kind of sleeping bag to sleep in the woods. nothing to see here IMO.
I hear that @SephF. And I've read some of the studies. I have a hard time squaring that research with the adage "practice make perfect", and Gladwell's 10,000 hours theory. I've also had some experiences of reading a great book (a series) in my 20s, putting it down, then when working at something else, it popped into my head "I wonder what Kelsey Millhone is doing right now."

If someone has a tenuous grasp on reality, or is looking for a way out of that reality that they aren't prospering in, I don't know...thoughts?

Sorry to inform you, but yes, legal firearms are left carelessly stored all the time. Just the other day a man was charged for having a crazy amount of guns - legally owned all over his house willy nilly.

He’s 73, and it looks as though he’s a collector of vintage rifles - there’s a good chance his rifle collection was on display and that he was fully within the law as to how he was displaying them. The court case will be an interesting one to follow and see how it turns out if the seizure was considered lawful or not.
F0374C11-8A32-4B4B-8E0E-5E78B08255ED.jpeg

There was nothing that said he left a single rifle up a logging road though after he done target shooting though. Did I miss that part?

Yes out of 2.2 million person in Canada holding a PAL there’s bound to be a few PAL holders who make mistakes, and they lose their rifles and PAL for those mistakes, rightfully so. Very different than how you’ve presented it where people who have guns just give them away to strangers when asked or if you drive any logging road you’ll find one sitting out in the open for you to take.

Last edited:
He’s a soft target for the media. He’s homeless, lives in a van, has obvious mental health issues and is absolutely distraught over the loss of his son. Unfortunately he made himself available to the media, for whatever reason, and they’d never miss an opportunity like that to bolster a story that’s getting international attention.

On the other hand, Kam’s family has given a one or two sentence comment. That is their absolute right and I’m not calling them out for that, but we don’t know if there’s more to that family’s history. Kam had friends and came from a totally different socio-economic group, but he obviously had a dark side. Whether he pulled the trigger or stood on the sidelines, he was guilty of taking part in at least one murder, and possibly two more. It's only speculation but it's possible the guns came from his home.

It’s easy to kick a man when he’s down and AS is taking the full brunt of the public’s wrath.

I wasn't going to watch A.S. 60 minutes interview, after watching his previous ones - but I did anyway. Ooof! The guy is clearly NOT doing anyone favours, including himself. He did put himself on global media though, so he has allowed himself to be taken advantage of, and put himself in a place where criticisms will be launched towards him, IMHO of course.

My impression is he is somewhat disconnected from reality (and probably has been for a long time). While I certainly feel horrible for him, I can see why Chynna's sister responded as she did. He really can't have any idea how the victims families feel, as the victims did not instigate their own murders (at least there is no indication of that).

It's heartbreaking all around - he should take a seat, and get himself into long term treatment asap. MOO

I wasn't going to watch A.S. 60 minutes interview, after watching his previous ones - but I did anyway. Ooof! The guy is clearly NOT doing anyone favours, including himself. He did put himself on global media though, so he has allowed himself to be taken advantage of, and put himself in a place where criticisms will be launched towards him, IMHO of course.

My impression is he is somewhat disconnected from reality (and probably has been for a long time). While I certainly feel horrible for him, I can see why Chynna's sister responded as she did. He really can't have any idea how the victims families feel, as the victims did not instigate their own murders (at least there is no indication of that).

It's heartbreaking all around - he should take a seat, and get himself into long term treatment asap. MOO
When he says “I know how you feel, I’ve lost a son too” umm...yes he did but the circumstances are different.

Just throwing this out there. Do you think they waited for Bryers birthday on August 4?

That's quite the potential coincidence, but I'm thinking no. They just ran out of better options and saw no other way out.

by the way, has anybody managed to get a copy of the book? I'm thinking it may offer quite a bit of insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa