Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree with the profit part of this, but I do agree that he should be free to speak about it if he feels the need. Considering he has very doubtfully been given any information from RCMP I understand why he still questions everything. I also think everyone does deal with grief differently and if this is how he is going to deal with it, well....he really has every right to do so. It may not be all that 'classy' to everyone, but to him it might be the only way he can think to try and get some answers.

If he wants to speak, and feels the need to unload, (I don't blame him) it should be with a counsellor from this point on, not with the media. Every time he goes public, he's salting the wounds of the victims' families. There are free clinics on Vancouver Island, and perhaps RCMP victims services could lead him in the right direction.

PROFITS OF CRIMINAL NOTORIETY ACT
In this Act:

"agent", in relation to a person who is charged with or convicted of a designated crime, includes the following:

(a)an executor, administrator, attorney under a power of attorney, property guardian, trustee or receiver of the person;

(b)another person to whom the person has assigned a right in relation to

(i)a contract for the recounting of the designated crime, or

(ii)crime memorabilia;

(c)a spouse, former spouse or relative of the person, if the presumption under subsection (2) applies to the spouse, former spouse or relative;

(d)a corporation to which the person has a substantial connection;

(e)a corporation in which the person has a substantial interest;

Profits of Criminal Notoriety Act

The following quote was made by the journalist who wrote the opinion piece in the Georgia Strait

My impression (and I could be wrong) is that this is the end of this matter. Consider it as yet another case of a journalist tilting at a windmill, as the saying goes."

I find it slightly ironic that I looked up tilting at a windmill - Tilting at windmills means fighting imaginary enemies, according to search results.

In the book, Don Quixote was a Knight and his “tilting at windmills” symbolized “striving for visionary ideals” and the hope that chivalry could combat injustice.

I suspect the author of the news article about the law and payment for the father’s media interview felt the likelihood of having any positive outcome from his inquiries about enforcing the law to be idealistic and unlikely to result in the law being upheld.

I think he may have been a bad influence on BS by idolizing serial killers that were able to escape justice for some time, and taking an anti-law-enforcement stance.

The book was written in 12 days, 10 months ago.

How do we know he idolized serial killers?

Perhaps he was rallying against the fact that in BC at least one serial murder and the acts and locations of his killings was whispered to be known to police, while the murders were ongoing, but remained free.

Last edited:
In the book, Don Quixote was a Knight and his “tilting at windmills” symbolized “striving for visionary ideals” and the hope that chivalry could combat injustice.

I suspect the author of the news article about the law and payment for the father’s media interview felt the likelihood of having any positive outcome from his inquiries about enforcing the law to be idealistic and unlikely to result in the law being upheld.

IMO if that’s the case he should be writing his opinion piece targeting the media who sought out and exploited the father.

If he wants to speak, and feels the need to unload, (I don't blame him) it should be with a counsellor from this point on, not with the media. Every time he goes public, he's salting the wounds of the victims' families. There are free clinics on Vancouver Island, and perhaps RCMP victims services could lead him in the right direction.

It's not like he is out there talking trash about them. He has expressed apologies even to them and their families.
The media is going to be reporting on this no matter what. Every time the victims families turn on the news they are going to have salt poured into their wounds. I don't think he has any intention of doing that.

Free clinics on Vancouver Island are not necessarily a way to solve things considering there is likely a VERY lengthy waiting list for that.
I agree that counseling would be the best choice. I don't agree that it is as easily accessible as people seem to think.
I spent almost 3 years on a waiting list for sexual assault counseling. Luckily I had support of a few close members of my family. I personally think that he may not have that support, and if the media is encouraging him to speak up he may not have someone next to him to remind him that it isn't really the best idea to do so.
And as I mentioned before, if he hasn't received any answers, and has no other way to try and find them....talking to the media could be what he sees as his only option. I wouldn't expect anyone to be thinking clearly in his position right now.

ETA: If him discussing it publicly is wrong, then all of us discussing it publicly is as well.

ETAA: That free counseling I waited on was a resource that came directly from Victim Services as well. Not faulting them...they are amazing! There are just far too many people out there who need that support, and far too little resources to provide it.

Last edited:
How do we know he idolized serial killers?

Perhaps he was rallying against the fact that in BC at least one serial murder and his potential killings was whispered to be known to police but remained free.
He seemed very excited by his son's actions, saying "way to go boys", "Kudos", they are smart, etc. He said that his son would go out in a "blaze of glory".

"My impression (and I could be wrong) is that this is the end of this matter. Consider it as yet another case of a journalist tilting at a windmill, as the saying goes."

This quote is from an RCMP officer, and the officer is saying that the journalist bringing up the topic of the criminal act is looking for a story. I think "clutching at straws" is the correct cliche.

Killer's father wrote of murders
PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines.

Alan Schmegelsy’s book reveals an interest in homicides and cop procedures, referring four times to police chases for murderers and gruesome serial killer cases.

He mentions a “provincewide manhunt” and “multimillion-dollar, province-wide search” and writes about two brutal serial killers in the rambling, 131-page memoir.

[…]

The text is laced with vicious criticism of Bryer’s mother, Deborah Sweeney. But also threaded throughout the book are a disturbing number of references to serial killers and manhunts for criminals.

If I knew my parent was going to write something this personal I would freak out (but I wouldn’t kill anyone). I would not want to be associated with it at all.

I imagine BS was aware of the content. I wonder if he was fuelled by it.

PROFITS OF CRIMINAL NOTORIETY ACT
In this Act:

"agent", in relation to a person who is charged with or convicted of a designated crime, includes the following:
(c)a spouse, former spouse or relative of the person, if the presumption under subsection (2) applies to the spouse, former spouse or relative;

Thanks for this information. I edited the post to highlight two things that seem relevant me: 1) the law covers notoriety for those who are charged with a crime and 2) includes relatives of the person.

So, to my way of thinking, the suspect’s father is free to share his views in the media but he should not be able to make a profit from it. Whether prosecutors would or could seek to hold him accountable is another question. I do think this law makes sense and I hope it might inhibit future profit making endeavors based upon the notoriety of the crimes on the part of relatives.

He seemed very excited by his son's actions, saying "way to go boys", "Kudos", they are smart, etc. He said that his son would go out in a "blaze of glory".

All taken out of context and misrepresented.

--

I deleted my previous post regarding the column complaining that AS may have sold an interview because it's unclear to me just how the act applies to relatives so I'll leave that for now. It's irrelevant. The act only applies to recounting of the crime or to memorabilia. AS selling an interview is neither. The act just doesn't apply.

ETA: If him discussing it publicly is wrong, then all of us discussing it publicly is as well.

Hear, hear!!

You are exactly right. Spot on observation. I feel that AS is struggling to process this whole thing. He is well-spoken and astute enough to make it clear that he can express himself well verbally, but processing it all psychologically is another story. And, as mentioned, he may not have a shoulder to lean on to help him through this. If the journalist and videographers from Oz were able to spend two weeks with him, chances are that he wasn't with close friends and family.

I still haven’t managed to find a video with his saying “blaze of glory”, despite watching many, with a few articles even stating they were the whole interview.

Imagine he is/was being sequestered somehow by Australia 60 Minutes. He doesn’t have access to news or media. He’s already been through a roller coaster of believing his son is missing and possibly a victim due to truck being destroyed to finding out his son is now charged with second degree murder (but he’s told nothing about what prompted police to think his son was involved) and he’s a suspect in the murder of two others (which to him seems extremely unrelated, to the police itvwas unrelated for time as well). He’s going through all that and then 60 minutes Australia shows him brief footage of his son and friend, still alive and not shot by police who he believes will “shoot first, ask questions later”. I assume his initial reaction was such relief his son was still alive and then instant hope his son might still come home and it would all be sorted out. Granted a very simplistic view perhaps but not necessarily malicious. I can’t imagine any parent being able to accept being told their child is a murderer, especially in a short time frame without having been given one iota of information about alleged crimes.

Scrutinizing his emotions and reactions and then judging based on them, for them - it just seems fundamentally wrong to me.

Last edited:
It's not like he is out there talking trash about them. He has expressed apologies even to them and their families.
The media is going to be reporting on this no matter what. Every time the victims families turn on the news they are going to have salt poured into their wounds. I don't think he has any intention of doing that.

Free clinics on Vancouver Island are not necessarily a way to solve things considering there is likely a VERY lengthy waiting list for that.
I agree that counseling would be the best choice. I don't agree that it is as easily accessible as people seem to think.
I spent almost 3 years on a waiting list for sexual assault counseling. Luckily I had support of a few close members of my family. I personally think that he may not have that support, and if the media is encouraging him to speak up he may not have someone next to him to remind him that it isn't really the best idea to do so.
And as I mentioned before, if he hasn't received any answers, and has no other way to try and find them....talking to the media could be what he sees as his only option. I wouldn't expect anyone to be thinking clearly in his position right now.

ETAA: That free counseling I waited on was a resource that came directly from Victim Services as well. Not faulting them...they are amazing! There are just far too many people out there who need that support, and far too little resources to provide it.

I agree with all of this.

Alan strikes me as a lonely man and he's had hardships in the past, a few issues including alcohol problems, and he's dealing with a horrible situation right now. He wanted a relationship with his son and was working on it, and now his son is gone and possibly took out a few others with him. Losing a family member, especially a child, is hard enough. But to know the whole world will think your child was a killer and won't sympathize is a lot harder. I think Alan doesn't really have anyone to talk to right now, and is trying to work through it the best he can with anyone who will listen.. And maybe the media is that outlet for him right now. I know some people may disagree with his conduct, but I don't think anyone else is in a position to judge how someone should act in that situation. I do hope he's getting some real support, but like it's been said.. it isn't always that simple.
All jmo.

Last edited:
Thanks for this information. I edited the post to highlight two things that seem relevant me: 1) the law covers notoriety for those who are charged with a crime and 2) includes relatives of the person.

Since the comment about relative of the person is in the subsection regarding spouse I thought it’s referring to a relative of the spouse or ex-spouse.

ETA I will have to go reread subsection 2 that is referred to.

He may not be responding to the media in a way that I would prefer but it seems that the McLeod's aren't meeting public expectations either.

BS & KM made the choices they did without consideration for the professor, Lucas, Chynna and those who love them or their own families and their lack of consideration created many victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea