Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #110

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know, is it true the former prosecutor of Carroll County has been reinstated? I can only find one mention of it, can't be linked here, have not been able to confirm.

Not reinstated, another prosecutor was appointed after Ives took early retirement at the end of 2017, a year prior the end of his term due to something about a personal matter iirc. But a few months ago reportedly he did return in an assistant prosecutor role. It may mean something related to this case or maybe not, depending if the reason he stepped down has been resolved and he just misses the job.

In some ways, this case reminds me of Shauna Howe's murder. Shauna was an 11 yo in a small, Pennsylvanian town who was abducted and murdered walking home after a Halloween party. It was a tiny town that didn't have a lot of crime and it rocked the population to the core. Basically everyone in town became a suspect. Talk about a Peyton Place-secrets came out about the townspeople that nobody thought would see the light of day. LE took DNA samples from over 100 people in town. They released as much info as they could, but they had to hold back a lot because they were afraid it would hurt the trial (if there ever was one). Townspeople got really upset with LE because they thought LE should've released more. LE made the same comments with that case that they do with this one: we have a lot of pieces and are just waiting for that ONE tip, he's probably local, be aware of what your kids are doing, we need the public's help in identifying this sketch, etc. All pretty standard things for them to say. Later, though, they also said that they thought they might have been onto something earlier in the investigation so they wanted to start over.

Despite their work, the case went cold. When they were FINALLY able to solve it, about 12 years later, it wound up being three men that they'd looked at in that first week after her murder. Those men had been excluded early on because the DNA didn't match Ted and Jim/Tim O'brien weren't tested because they were incarcerated at the time of the crime so they had an alibi. As it turned out, they'd bonded out earlier that day and NOBODY working the case had been aware of that. The DNA test was done on them and there was a match. Ted, the third man, was also convicted.

So, at the end of the day, the detectives had actually solved the case in the very beginning. They'd just made the mistake of not following through with the alibi. You hear someone's in jail, you look at the records and see that they were there, that's a pretty good alibi. They'd just never seen the part about them bonding out later that same day...People had also identified Ted from the sketch early on, but his DNA hadn't matched so he was excluded. It didn't match because he hadn't participated in the SA, but he WAS a big part in the abduction.

That's where I think LE may be at now. I think they were onto something in the beginning, but something happened to make the cross that guy off. A strong alibi, no DNA match, etc. I think they had a pretty good idea of what happened early on, but that theory was shot when it didn't fit the evidence. Perhaps they need to look at that evidence and that person again.

This is one of the best posts I've read recently on this case and gives such a great example on how these cases can stall...but also hope that one day it can be solved. Thank you.

I thought early on the killer had to be an outsider to Delphi, otherwise someone there would recognize him easy. Now LE says he’s from Delphi past or present. Then how the heck has no one recognized him?! No one says a word there about anything! Delphi’s communal silence baffles me. They seem to have no opinion about anything. I know we don’t discuss rumor and gossip here but it wouldn’t matter because apparently there is none. I live in a reasonably small town and if something like this happened here, half the town would be on the tip lines reporting this guy, while the other half was on hold waiting to report him.
This case gets curiouser and curiouser. Down the rabbit hole we go.

Delphi has a police department so if this case could be solved just by looking at somebody’s appearance, officers would only need to walk about town.

But resemblance without any other information poses a problem as the sketch isn’t a photograph. LE needs evidence to work with and so it seems they’re looking for a tip supported by information from a tipster, giving them something to work with. Several times in the past it’s been stated they believe the killer has told somebody the details. Whether that’s wishful thinking or not, I’m certain the “one tip” they’re waiting for includes incriminating information about a person who has a known past or present connection to the broad Delphi area, but specifically knowledge of the high bridge trail.

Hindsight is always 20-20. How many of us thought that having a still shot from a video and the guys voice, that they would have the killer under arrest in a month?

I mean, when there is blurry images elsewhere in like a subway attack, someone identifies the guy (amongst total strangers) within hours.

This one really baffles me. They must have their guy but he has an air tight (for the moment) alibi.
Airtight alibi ...OR... perp already incarcerated so no big hurry?

agree on all points. I think there is some twisted religious interpretation of the murders and some grandiose fantasy of the meaning of it and the idea of redemption - on the murderer's family's terms and among themselves only.

I think they have to know , but I do think he did live in Delphi then went off close to school where he was back and forth , and yes the father covering for him with religious fervor and but not the loyalty of a father, the fear of the perfect family going poof....along with Job (yes Job way of life) and Maybe the fear of wrecking wifey's lifestyle and not being so christian after all . IMO JMO and MOO

In some ways, this case reminds me of Shauna Howe's murder. Shauna was an 11 yo in a small, Pennsylvanian town who was abducted and murdered walking home after a Halloween party. It was a tiny town that didn't have a lot of crime and it rocked the population to the core. Basically everyone in town became a suspect. Talk about a Peyton Place-secrets came out about the townspeople that nobody thought would see the light of day. LE took DNA samples from over 100 people in town. They released as much info as they could, but they had to hold back a lot because they were afraid it would hurt the trial (if there ever was one). Townspeople got really upset with LE because they thought LE should've released more. LE made the same comments with that case that they do with this one: we have a lot of pieces and are just waiting for that ONE tip, he's probably local, be aware of what your kids are doing, we need the public's help in identifying this sketch, etc. All pretty standard things for them to say. Later, though, they also said that they thought they might have been onto something earlier in the investigation so they wanted to start over.

Despite their work, the case went cold. When they were FINALLY able to solve it, about 12 years later, it wound up being three men that they'd looked at in that first week after her murder. Those men had been excluded early on because the DNA didn't match Ted and Jim/Tim O'brien weren't tested because they were incarcerated at the time of the crime so they had an alibi. As it turned out, they'd bonded out earlier that day and NOBODY working the case had been aware of that. The DNA test was done on them and there was a match. Ted, the third man, was also convicted.

So, at the end of the day, the detectives had actually solved the case in the very beginning. They'd just made the mistake of not following through with the alibi. You hear someone's in jail, you look at the records and see that they were there, that's a pretty good alibi. They'd just never seen the part about them bonding out later that same day...People had also identified Ted from the sketch early on, but his DNA hadn't matched so he was excluded. It didn't match because he hadn't participated in the SA, but he WAS a big part in the abduction.

That's where I think LE may be at now. I think they were onto something in the beginning, but something happened to make the cross that guy off. A strong alibi, no DNA match, etc. I think they had a pretty good idea of what happened early on, but that theory was shot when it didn't fit the evidence. Perhaps they need to look at that evidence and that person again.

Wow. Interesting post.

And can you imagine? The exact same day they bond out of jail they abduct and kill a child. Wth?

Maybe not as totally outlandish as it sounds, who knows .... Double murderer, who is changing his optics x times during the "mission" - that would go down in crime history and perhaps that is intended.
I know I was joking but seriously he could have changed his attire as we have discussed many times. Also the reddish brown hair must have come from somewhere, witnesses or crime scene for example.
Wow. Interesting post.

And can you imagine? The exact same day they bond out of jail they abduct and kill a child. Wth?

That is a possibility in this case I believe. Perhaps someone hiding from a warrant, or just bonded out or just released, high on drugs or alcohol. That is the type of crime I think this is.

Maybe even now incarcerated elsewhere and so the ex prosecutor comes back to work on the case a bit more.

Last edited:
Not reinstated, another prosecutor was appointed after Ives took early retirement at the end of 2017, a year prior the end of his term due to something about a personal matter iirc. But a few months ago reportedly he did return in an assistant prosecutor role. It may mean something related to this case or maybe not, depending if the reason he stepped down has been resolved and he just misses the job.

I have had a search in My Case and there does not seem to be many cases that has Ives name on since he returned in April so I wonder what he is actually working on? And no prosecutor at the April PC has been commented on as unusual, so something has to be going on behind the scenes.

This has not had an update yet either -

Police want to know if Etter is tied to Delphi killings

"Etter's case has not been closed yet, Tippecanoe County sheriff's Sgt. Thad Miller said, adding that they passed on information about Etter to Carroll County investigators as part of the routine police work. But he doubted that Etter is at the top of the list of possible suspects.

"We have shared information about Etter with them, but we've done that with other suspects, too," Miller said."

Here's hoping they are actually working on something behind the scenes anyway.

Last edited:
Delphi has a police department so if this case could be solved just by looking at somebody’s appearance, officers would only need to walk about town.

But resemblance without any other information poses a problem as the sketch isn’t a photograph. LE needs evidence to work with and so it seems they’re looking for a tip supported by information from a tipster, giving them something to work with. Several times in the past it’s been stated they believe the killer has told somebody the details. Whether that’s wishful thinking or not, I’m certain the “one tip” they’re waiting for includes incriminating information about a person who has a known past or present connection to the broad Delphi area, but specifically knowledge of the high bridge trail.
Good point. Yet why do they think the public is going to recognise him in that case? Do you think the one person he told is an accomplice or alibi? If so that person is in great danger if still alive.

I believe this is the case. I think they have their guy, but his DNA is not in any database, except maybe a genealogy site - would they need a subpoena for that?

I think his alibi is covering for him with religious fervor and the loyalty of a father.

I think people know who BG is.

I agree with the IDing him part, mu hunch is someone or some people know or have a suspicion they know who he is, they just haven't contacted LE.

The April Tinsley case here in Fort Wayne comes to mind. The dimwitted killer taunted LE for years, even going so far as to write messages in his own handwriting. When he was caught, his brother mentioned to LE and the media that he always thought the handwriting samples released to the media looked like his brother's

-FD

I'm still curious why it's so significant that the prosecuting office wasn't at the April PC. Sincerely, I don't know anything about PCs, so I'm wondering at the meaning.

If LE has a suspect, who is well-known/identifiable in the community, I'm wondering if not that person would be getting harassed? It's hard for me to get my head around a POI walking the local streets when there are many who would suspect him. Not discounting the notion at all, just not able to form a picture of what that looks like on a day to day basis there in town.

I've been looking at the SC photos again and there's something I don't understand. It's been assumed that the b/w photo looking south on the bridge (not including Abby) was taken first, and then a bit further across the bridge, Libby stepped onto the platform and turned around to take the photo of Abby. Okay, that seems logical, but since they both say "7 h ago," we only really know they were taken within the same hour's time, right? Did she post them at the same time, or separately? Couldn't she have saved them to memories and posted later, like at the end of the bridge or something? Also, why is the timer in the upper right hand corner so much different on the two circulated photos? Were they saved by someone at different times during the 24 hours they were available?

So much weight is put on the SC photo timing, I just want to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam