CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible reason LE might not release photos from that day:

If this is an abduction scenario LE would need to verify should they or RT be contacted for ransom or other. By withholding photos taken that day that include images of BT the person(s) contacting LE would have to prove they have knowledge of BT by describing exactly her attire and whatever she may have been carrying with her. This method avoids wasting time with hoax callers.

If this is an abduction scenario LE would need to verify should they or RT be contacted for ransom or other. By withholding photos taken that day that include images of BT the person(s) contacting LE would have to prove they have knowledge of BT by describing exactly her attire and whatever she may have been carrying with her. This method avoids wasting time with hoax callers.
This makes sense, but it has been almost a month. That would be quite a lead time.

Thanks: interesting tactic, if this is the case, by LE, since they have stated they don't believe BT was abducted.

I am so happy our VI has confirmed there being time stamped photos of Barbara from where Robert said she was that day and at the time he said she was there (see post quoted below).

IMO that leaves 2 scenarios, Barbara somehow getting lost in the desert, and still to be found there.
Or, Barbara being taken by a stranger or someone known to both her an Robert.

I do not know which scenario makes the most sense at this point. YOP
IIRC RT said after searching for Barbara with no success, he called 911 at noon so these photos would have to be taken before noon IMO. Since dispatch said the call was at 3:26, another scenario could be that something happened later than the time the photos were taken but before 3:26. The timeline leaves possibilities for several scenarios IMO.

BBM

That's troubling.
But it might indicate what many here, fear.
If the content of the photos could be explained that'd be helpful --even without revealing the pics.
One possibility is that some friends or relatives met them and RT just wanted to be private about the others ?
Do we know if they were the only two out there at that location ?
Some value their privacy.
If LE thinks the public should know the content of the photos they will reveal that. I speculate the photos are evidentiary, and relevant for a trial and conviction. And/or, the timing and contents will no doubt come in to play during a Suspect interview.

Amateur opinion and speculation.

IIRC RT said after searching for Barbara with no success, he called 911 at noon so these photos would have to be taken before noon IMO. Since dispatch said the call was at 3:26, another scenario could be that something happened later than the time the photos were taken but before 3:26. The timeline leaves possibilities for several scenarios IMO.

Do we have the timeline somewhere? Wasn't there some query as to whether he made call at noon or later to police?

If say photo was time stamped at 2pm, if he called police at noon there would certainly be something smelling very fishy. However, if he phoned post 2pm, well that would fit scenario.

bbm

Maybe. Maybe not. How much time needs to tick by in order for us to be satisfied it isn't an abduction case and that it would not be detrimental in any way to release photographs?
Ransom abductions aren't that common in the US, as I understand. And if you want ransom, wouldn't it require holding the victim somewhere, feeding them enough to keep them alive, providing for medical needs, preventing escape, and preventing them from identifying you when they escape or are released? That sounds like a very difficult thing to sustain over a month. But 1) I am exceptionally lazy and 2) who knows? Maybe LE has been in negotiations for a while.

BBM
Good point.

Maybe friends and family who live close enough can go out there and search ?

To me it appears none of Barbara’s family are remotely close enough distance wise. Her son lives in Indiana but JMO he won’t be making a trip out there. Remainder (excluding RT) reside in Hong Kong. Robbie’s family in Canada.
(@dbdb11 - hopefully I didn’t miss anyone)

Ransom abductions aren't that common in the US, as I understand. And if you want ransom, wouldn't it require holding the victim somewhere, feeding them enough to keep them alive, providing for medical needs, preventing escape, and preventing them from identifying you when they escape or are released? That sounds like a very difficult thing to sustain over a month. But 1) I am exceptionally lazy and 2) who knows? Maybe LE has been in negotiations for a while.
I agree that while not impossible, it’s unlikely.

Amateur opinion and speculation

RT said he thought she would be taken to the Las Vegas area.. So that abduction would cross state lines making it a federal offense .. That could bring in the FBI

Sure. If anyone can show she was abducted. For that, I think local LE would have to establish it and then bring in FBI.

That is proving rather difficult.

Reinforcing what I posted upthread about outdoor searches.

It is SO difficult to *see* remains outdoor. Mother Nature embraces earthly remains, and searchers can literally walk right past them.

If Barb was wearing any metal at all, (watch, wedding ring), perhaps a metal detector could help? Given the heat, she might not have been wearing anything.

Regardless, I believe another search is in order.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I agree. But to do that, someone is going to have to organize it. Usually it's the next of kin, in conjunction with neighbors. Dozens of people will come forward from churches, volunteer organizations, etc., if only family asks for help. If RT can't do it, no one else is geographically situated to do it.

BTW, the LIDAR technology (expensive due to need for multiple helicopter fly overs) would not be useful for finding an unburied body that is under foliage. Regular photograph means could work, though, if the body was only partially under foliage. If the body was buried, LIDAR could help, but it would need to be a really small area of focus (say, less than a square mile; at least, that's what the one person I know who knows anything about it is saying - I'll get a chance to talk to him more soon).

Volunteer searches by local groups have been successful in finding bodies - but only within a reasonable search radius.

I am so happy our VI has confirmed there being time stamped photos of Barbara from where Robert said she was that day and at the time he said she was there (see post quoted below).

IMO that leaves 2 scenarios, Barbara somehow getting lost in the desert, and still to be found there.
Or, Barbara being taken by a stranger or someone known to both her an Robert.

I do not know which scenario makes the most sense at this point. YOP

There are other scenarios as well. Not sure why you're only choosing those two. LE says there's no evidence of abduction, and has not announced a change in that view.

One would be that Barb hitchhiked and was not abducted, but willingly left her life and started over...somehow. So she wasn't taken by a stranger, but simply joined one.

But there are other, more likely scenarios IMO.

They are exceptionally uncommon here.

They were more common years ago, well before modern technology made it exceedingly difficult to pull off.

Someone would have had to commit a crime that just doesn’t happen with any regularity, do it during the perfect possible moment, and do so without leaving any evidence of this happening, or any witnesses spotting it.

But couldn't our VI tell us about the photos or what was depicted in them?Or maybe LE has told them not to mention the content of the photos.

This makes several things moot in my mind.
From the beginning the VI has stated that he assumed there were photos of Barbara there, and that's how LE confirmed she was there.

If I remember correctly, the first time he called Robert, someone else spoke to him telling him Robert was busy going over the photos with LE.
I assume these were pictures he had taken that day.

The only reason it was questioned as to whether she was actually there or not was because some mis-interpreted LE's statements saying they found no evidence of Barbara there during the search as meaning Barbara was never there to begin with.

I think that's where the idea came from that she was never there. Imo

BBM

Good points.
It can be determined what time the photos were taken by the background and shadows/lighting.

They are exceptionally uncommon here.

They were more common years ago, well before modern technology made it exceedingly difficult to pull off.

Someone would have had to commit a crime that just doesn’t happen with any regularity, do it during the perfect possible moment, and do so without leaving any evidence of this happening, or any witnesses spotting it.
BBM
Ita.

You've described a magician's act.

To me it appears none of Barbara’s family are remotely close enough distance wise. Her son lives in Indiana but JMO he won’t be making a trip out there. Remainder (excluding RT) reside in Hong Kong. Robbie’s family in Canada.
(@dbdb11 - hopefully I didn’t miss anyone)
Thanks for clearing this up, MM.
For a missing person any distance should be irrelevant ; at least if they live in the same country.

Although HK is somewhat disrupted atm and is overseas.
To find a loved one and to show support, a trip to AZ shouldn't be impossible.

When Amber DuBoise went missing -- her mom went down to Mexico looking for her based on a tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member