OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #50

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have missed it because I did link my information to this article:
MAX LONDBERG, CHRIS GRAVES | CINCINNATI ENQUIRER
5:23 p.m. EST Nov. 17, 2018

Pike County: Father accused in Rhoden massacre faced prior felonies

"...The same year he was indicted, Billy Wagner filed for bankruptcy. His wife is also named in the filing made in federal court in the Southern District of Ohio.

Their assets were listed at about $2,500, and their liabilities at about $10,000, including almost $2,500 owed to Sears for clothing, $500 in medical bills and $325 in unpaid utility bills.

Their only monthly income listed was $530 in Social Security payments and $389 in food stamps..."

Thanks. I did miss it and now I have even more questions about the W's. :confused:

CC something is not what we think, all that evidence LE has is so big, I really think it is not only all on the Rhodens murders but could it be that the LE has racketeering chargers on the Wagners, clearly they lived (High On The Hog) with a income that Angela reported when they filed bankruptcy
$500 SSI and $300 snap money per month, I just don’t by it the Wagners has to much stuff for what income they got, I can’t see why LE let Billy off so easy when he was caught with all that stolen good, who was the sheriff be for Reader, he must have been good friends with Fredericka, clearly the Wagners did what ever they wanted for years until a little man came along called Mike DeWine, the Wagners hated him so bad because they couldn’t control him that why the Wagners talked about death threats, JMO
I also think The "Peterson Road Property" was sold to GWIV and JW for $1 to escape paying taxes both by buyers and sellers. Thus AW and BW would be able to claim no assets. Of course this is my amateur detective work, thus MOO

Last edited:
It came up in Angela's pretrial that her attorneys had to provide the prosecution with enough storage devices for the prosecution to be able to download 4 terabytes of discovery evidence:

WAGNER, ANGELA JO

07/09/2019 JOURNAL ENTRY -- This cause came on for a pre-trial hearing on July 3, 2019.

"...Upon agreement of the parties, it is hereby ORDERED that on or before July 15, 2019, the Defendant, through her attorneys, shall furnish the office of Special Prosecuting Attorney Angela Canepa with sufficient storage devices in order to permit storage, for the purpose of delivery to the Defendant, of all remaining discovery in this action, which, as indicated by the Special Prosecuting Attorney, constitutes approximately (4) terabytes of material.

It is further ORDERED that, if the Defendant provides the Special Prosecuting Attorney's Office, on or before July 15, 2019, with sufficient storage devices to permit the storage of four (4) terabytes of material, then the State of Ohio shall download all remaining discoverable material to such storage devices and shall furnish all remaining discovery to the Defendant on or before July 22, 2019..."

https://pikecountycpcourt.org/eservices/search.page.3

I think I remember during RNs last hearing that A. Canepa spoke to RNs attorney about thumb drive. Probably regarding recorded conversations from prison. IIRC.

Thank you! I’m glad that this site has so many smart law knowledgable people on it. I learn something new all the time!

I think RN will be 1st. Because it's set and little defense work in comparison.

I think GWIV will be 2nd. But with the last 2 terabytes of Discovery, there probably is a lot to go through.

Then???

I do think that RW will be recharged at Some point, but it would not be worth it to mess up the murder cases. But if GW goes 1st and the Evidence is public, she will most likely tell the rest "what's up". So if the favorable evidence they are reviewing on RW is sufficient, I expect the prosecution would want to get her back under wraps. Dismissed without prejudice seems to indicate they are not done with her yet....but I could be wrong.

I wonder truly if all 4 monsters wore bullet-proof vests and that will come out as evidence in the first trial, presumably GWIV.

I too am anxious to see the case unfold by the Special Prosecutor. I wish they had two on this case. I've seen at least 3 prosecutors in single murder cases in recent trials. Surprised there is only Junk in addition to A, Canepa.

Well there's my discussion which is only my opinion based on watching, waiting, listening and reading all information available mixed with a little amateur armchair detective.

Thank you all for your support for justice in this case for the victims and family members. ✌

I think GWIV will be 2nd. But with the last 2 terabytes of Discovery, there probably is a lot to go through.

Then???

I do think that RW will be recharged at Some point, but it would not be worth it to mess up the murder cases. But if GW goes 1st and the Evidence is public, she will most likely tell the rest "what's up". So if the favorable evidence they are reviewing on RW is sufficient, I expect the prosecution would want to get her back under wraps. Dismissed without prejudice seems to indicate they are not done with her yet....but I could be wrong.

I wonder truly if all 4 monsters wore bullet-proof vests and that will come out as evidence in the first trial, presumably GWIV.

I too am anxious to see the case unfold by the Special Prosecutor. I wish they had two on this case. I've seen at least 3 prosecutors in single murder cases in recent trials. Surprised there is only Junk in addition to A, Canepa.

Well there's my discussion which is only my opinion based on watching, waiting, listening and reading all information available mixed with a little amateur armchair detective.

Thank you all for your support for justice in this case for the victims and family members. ✌

I agree. They need a 2nd Special Prosecutor. Prosecuting 4 DP cases has to be a full time job.

How can Junk do his day to day job and also handle day after day of 4 DP trials?

Then???

BBM

Rita Newcomb's trial is scheduled for 4 days starting October 21st. Of the Wagner 4, GW 4 will go first, he actually had a trial date set for September 4th but then it was continued (put off) and will likely be rescheduled probably in September or October. But yes, Rita Newcomb will be first.

‘Great deal of’ evidence pushes back trial date for oldest Wagner brother

"...When George Wagner IV was in court last month, Judge Deering set a Sept. 4 trial date. On Tuesday, the date was moved back to an undetermined date.

The special state prosecutor gave the defense team two terabytes of information.

“And that’s a great deal of material for the defense attorneys to look at, I’m sure," said Deering.

The prosecutor, who calls this one of the most complex criminal cases in state history, says there are more than 2 million items on the disc..:eek:..The evidence includes documents, recordings, videos, pictures, cell phone records and forensic reports... "

Last edited:
Piketon Murders: Did the Wagners really kill 8 members of the Rhoden family over a custody battle?
The victims consisted of seven adults of varying ages and a 16-year-old boy and they were all found shot execution-style in three different houses and one camper

By Varsha Vasudevan
Updated On : 03:16 PST, Mar 31, 2019

On the night of April 21, 2016, eight members of the Rhoden family, who were peacefully sleeping in their beds in four different locations in Pike County, Ohio, were shot and killed in a familicide that shocked the community and the state.

The murders in the county, which is just 60 miles from Cincinnati, had people fearing for their lives.

The bodies of the victims were found the next morning by a member of the Rhoden family. The victims consisted of seven adults of varying ages and a 16-year-old boy. Seven were shot execution style in three different houses, and the 8th victim, an adult, was found dead in his camper.

7734c108-0093-4a08-8e79-5b020f2da7fb.png

Piketon (Source: Twitter)

The bodies were first found by Bobby Jo Manley, sister of one of the victims Dana Rhoden, after she went to her sister's home to feed the pets. The authorities came to know about the massacre after they received a 911 call about two bodies that were inside a residence at Union Hill at around 7:51 am.

Before the officers reached the scene, Manley found two more bodies in the second home which was located on the same property.

James Manley, Dana and Bobby Jo's brother, went to check on Dana and found the third crime scene where three more bodies were discovered after the authorities arrived.

Dispatchers received another 911 call at 1:26 pm telling them about an eighth body, an adult male, at a fourth home in the nearby village of Piketon.

Three young children - who were aged 3-years-old, 6-months-old, and 4-days-old - were left unharmed in the massacre. The newborn was found in bed with her young mother.

The newborn and the 6-month-old children were put in protective custody and the 3-year-old was put under the guardianship of his own mother, who was not involved in any of the shootings.

The bodies of all the victims were taken to the Hamilton County Coroner's Office in Cincinnati, where autopsies found that 7 out of the 8 victims were shot multiple times.

Four of the victims were shot a maximum of three times, one was shot four times, two of them were shot five times, and the eighth was shot a total of nine times. The death certificates for the victims that were released on May 28 of that year showed that six of the victims were shot only in the head.

The other two victims, Christopher Rhoden Sr. and Dana Rhoden, were also shot in the head, but the only difference was that Christopher was also shot in the torso and limbs and Dana was also shot in her neck.

Some of the bodies had bruising which indicated that some of the victims were beaten pretty badly. Based on the number of gunshot wounds on the victims' bodies, an estimated total of 32 shots were said to have been fired during the massacre.

Two families entangled in the largest homicide in Ohio history. The #Piketon Family Murders hosted by @BethKaras starts this Sunday at 7/6c on #Oxygen. pic.twitter.com/Lb6O3lsgzN

— Oxygen (@oxygen) March 28, 2019
Then, finally, a year later on May 12, 2017, a SWAT team from the Franklin County Sheriff's Office raided a home in Pike County that is approximately 10 miles away from the site of the murders.

The authorities had initially stated that they were looking for a suspect in the murders, but it was clarified at a later time that they were looking for evidence related to the case and not the suspects.

Officers also looked through a property in Adams County that was once owned and sold recently by Edward "Jake" Wagner, who is an ex-boyfriend of one of the victims, Hanna Rhoden, and the father of their 3-year-old daughter. He is not the father of the 4-day-old newborn girl who was left alive in the killings.

On June 20 that same year, Ohio Police announced that they were looking for additional information on Jake Wagner, along with information on his parents Billy and Angela, and his brother George.

The family did something very odd when the authorities were closing in on them and that was to suddenly move to Alaska. Investigators found several conversations that the family has had that relate to vehicles, firearms, and ammunition.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced on November 13, 2018, that George "Billy" Wagner, Angela Wagner, George Wagner IV, and Edward "Jake" Wagner had been arrested and charged with planning and carrying out the murders.

The matriarch of the family, Fredericka Wagner, will be facing trial on July 29, 2019, on the charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.

The real question remains: Did the Wagner family kill 8 members of the Rhoden family because they lost a custody battle for Jake and Hanna's 3-year-old daughter?

I agree. They need a 2nd Special Prosecutor. Prosecuting 4 DP cases has to be a full time job.

How can Junk do his day to day job and also handle day after day of 4 DP trials?

I soo agree. No offense intended to anyone, but Junk IMO lacks some savyness. But he's the elected prosecutor so he is there. But I think again a second Special Prosecutor would be wonderful.

There's probably lawyers and clerks behind the scenes, but I truly hope we see an additional Prosecutor come trial time. Angela Canepa is awesome IMO.

BBM

Rita Newcomb's trial is scheduled for 4 days starting October 21st. Of the Wagner 4, GW 4 will go first, he actually had a trial date set for September 4th but then it was continued (put off) and will likely be rescheduled probably in September or October. But yes, Rita Newcomb will be first.

‘Great deal of’ evidence pushes back trial date for oldest Wagner brother

"...When George Wagner IV was in court last month, Judge Deering set a Sept. 4 trial date. On Tuesday, the date was moved back to an undetermined date.

The special state prosecutor gave the defense team two terabytes of information.

“And that’s a great deal of material for the defense attorneys to look at, I’m sure," said Deering.

The prosecutor, who calls this one of the most complex criminal cases in state history, says there are more than 2 million items on the disc..:eek:..The evidence includes documents, recordings, videos, pictures, cell phone records and forensic reports... "

YES.
Double the amount for GWIII, AW, JW. (4 terabytes). I do think that the defense for all 4 Ws has the Discovery known by BCI and the Prosecutors Office at the present. But unlike the other discovery, supplemental discovery that was filed, nicely listed in an outline, which we have seen, I wonder if the huge amount of the last discovery filed is just too much to easily make public.

I just can't quite grasp the amount of information and evidence that there is in 4 terabytes. It seems massive to say the least.

All just my 3 cents.

Piketon Murders: Did the Wagners really kill 8 members of the Rhoden family over a custody battle?
The victims consisted of seven adults of varying ages and a 16-year-old boy and they were all found shot execution-style in three different houses and one camper

By Varsha Vasudevan
Updated On : 03:16 PST, Mar 31, 2019

On the night of April 21, 2016, eight members of the Rhoden family, who were peacefully sleeping in their beds in four different locations in Pike County, Ohio, were shot and killed in a familicide that shocked the community and the state.

The murders in the county, which is just 60 miles from Cincinnati, had people fearing for their lives.

The bodies of the victims were found the next morning by a member of the Rhoden family. The victims consisted of seven adults of varying ages and a 16-year-old boy. Seven were shot execution style in three different houses, and the 8th victim, an adult, was found dead in his camper.

7734c108-0093-4a08-8e79-5b020f2da7fb.png

Piketon (Source: Twitter)

The bodies were first found by Bobby Jo Manley, sister of one of the victims Dana Rhoden, after she went to her sister's home to feed the pets. The authorities came to know about the massacre after they received a 911 call about two bodies that were inside a residence at Union Hill at around 7:51 am.

Before the officers reached the scene, Manley found two more bodies in the second home which was located on the same property.

James Manley, Dana and Bobby Jo's brother, went to check on Dana and found the third crime scene where three more bodies were discovered after the authorities arrived.

Dispatchers received another 911 call at 1:26 pm telling them about an eighth body, an adult male, at a fourth home in the nearby village of Piketon.

Three young children - who were aged 3-years-old, 6-months-old, and 4-days-old - were left unharmed in the massacre. The newborn was found in bed with her young mother.

The newborn and the 6-month-old children were put in protective custody and the 3-year-old was put under the guardianship of his own mother, who was not involved in any of the shootings.

The bodies of all the victims were taken to the Hamilton County Coroner's Office in Cincinnati, where autopsies found that 7 out of the 8 victims were shot multiple times.

Four of the victims were shot a maximum of three times, one was shot four times, two of them were shot five times, and the eighth was shot a total of nine times. The death certificates for the victims that were released on May 28 of that year showed that six of the victims were shot only in the head.

The other two victims, Christopher Rhoden Sr. and Dana Rhoden, were also shot in the head, but the only difference was that Christopher was also shot in the torso and limbs and Dana was also shot in her neck.

Some of the bodies had bruising which indicated that some of the victims were beaten pretty badly. Based on the number of gunshot wounds on the victims' bodies, an estimated total of 32 shots were said to have been fired during the massacre.

Two families entangled in the largest homicide in Ohio history. The #Piketon Family Murders hosted by @BethKaras starts this Sunday at 7/6c on #Oxygen. pic.twitter.com/Lb6O3lsgzN

— Oxygen (@oxygen) March 28, 2019
Then, finally, a year later on May 12, 2017, a SWAT team from the Franklin County Sheriff's Office raided a home in Pike County that is approximately 10 miles away from the site of the murders.

The authorities had initially stated that they were looking for a suspect in the murders, but it was clarified at a later time that they were looking for evidence related to the case and not the suspects.

Officers also looked through a property in Adams County that was once owned and sold recently by Edward "Jake" Wagner, who is an ex-boyfriend of one of the victims, Hanna Rhoden, and the father of their 3-year-old daughter. He is not the father of the 4-day-old newborn girl who was left alive in the killings.

On June 20 that same year, Ohio Police announced that they were looking for additional information on Jake Wagner, along with information on his parents Billy and Angela, and his brother George.

The family did something very odd when the authorities were closing in on them and that was to suddenly move to Alaska. Investigators found several conversations that the family has had that relate to vehicles, firearms, and ammunition.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced on November 13, 2018, that George "Billy" Wagner, Angela Wagner, George Wagner IV, and Edward "Jake" Wagner had been arrested and charged with planning and carrying out the murders.

The matriarch of the family, Fredericka Wagner, will be facing trial on July 29, 2019, on the charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.

The real question remains: Did the Wagner family kill 8 members of the Rhoden family because they lost a custody battle for Jake and Hanna's 3-year-old daughter?

This is the ultimate question.
It is my opinion that the Wagner 4 did kill over custody as an overall motive. People kill for much less. I don't understand it, but it happens. Horrific, senseless tragedy.

MOO

This is the ultimate question.
It is my opinion that the Wagner 4 did kill over custody as an overall motive. People kill for much less. I don't understand it, but it happens. Horrific, senseless tragedy.

MOO
The family did something very odd when the authorities were closing in on them and that was to suddenly move to Alaska. Investigators found several conversations that the family has had that relate to vehicles, firearms, and ammunition. The Investigators found several Conversations that the Wagners has had that relate to vehicles, firearms & ammunition.
This is a lot of proof! JMO

YES.
Double the amount for GWIII, AW, JW. (4 terabytes). I do think that the defense for all 4 Ws has the Discovery known by BCI and the Prosecutors Office at the present. But unlike the other discovery, supplemental discovery that was filed, nicely listed in an outline, which we have seen, I wonder if the huge amount of the last discovery filed is just too much to easily make public.

I just can't quite grasp the amount of information and evidence that there is in 4 terabytes. It seems massive to say the least.

All just my 3 cents.

BBM + 2 cents

This latest GW4 discovery---
Documents, recordings, videos, pictures, cell phone records and forensic reports---
equates to the same type of discovery that we have already seen , as you say, "nicely listed in outlines". Here is an example of some of the discovery evidence listed for Angela and Jake:

Video and audio interviews, hundreds of photos and a 3D scan from each scene, diagrams showing ballistic, biological and other evidence; more than 100 aerial photos; autopsy reports and X-rays of all eight victims; photos of a child in hospital, photos from property searches including a photo of a burnt VCR and items found in a well;

cell tower records; a "Boondock Saints" video clip; custody messages; screenshots; photos from other searches performed by investigators; a photo of George Wagner's tattoo; a gun list; Walmart receipts, mortgage loan, cyber/phone reports, forensic reports and photos, DNA, search warrants. Much more...

There isn't any reason MSM and regular folks can't request these new supplemental discovery documents the same as was done with the previous discovery documents.

Last edited:
I also think The "Peterson Road Property" was sold to GWIV and JW for $1 to escape paying taxes both by buyers and sellers. Thus AW and BW would be able to claim no assets. Of course this is my amateur detective work, thus MOO
Every deed that I have had has had either $1 or$10 listed. It is very common and has nothing to do with escaping taxes. I assume it is no different in Ohio.

ETA Ok, I checked and it is common in Ohio too.
"If you have ever purchased or sold real estate, you have seen the document that actually changed ownership. That document is called a deed. Upon signing by the seller, it gets recorded at the courthouse.

Almost every deed includes a sentence in the first paragraph that reads substantially as follows, “For one dollar and other good and valuable consideration.” Sometimes, the number is $10, and sometimes, the sequence of the words is slightly different. However, such a statement (we can call that statement the “one-dollar phrase”) appears in almost every real estate deed, whether the real estate was a gift or whether it was sold for $1 million.

Why the one-dollar phrase is included in deeds requires understanding of contracts, recitals and consideration." Legal-Ease: Why does my deed show a $1 price? - The Lima News

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

What has been stated by DeWine and family and what is stated in the indictments points to child custody being the main motive:

1.) "There was an undercurrent of drugs," DeWine said, "There’s no evidence of the speculation that this was drug-related in the sense of the motive."
DeWine said he "did not believe the drug trade had fomented the murders."

2.) Neighbors and some family members have said that Jake and Hanna were involved in a contentious custody dispute related to Sophia at the time of the killings.

3.) Although prosecutors declined to discuss details of the custody battle, the Rhoden family said the Wagners tried to get Hanna Rhoden to sign her rights over to Jake Wagner weeks before the massacre.

4.) DeWine said all four are also facing charges of forgery for allegedly forging child custody documents.

5.) Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said at a news conference that "while a motive in the Rhoden family murders isn’t fully clear, an indictment suggests that an obsession with custody of a young child played a role in the slayings."

DeWine alleged Tuesday that "there certainly was obsession with custody, obsession with control of the children. "
DeWine said there was a "fixation" and "obsession" regarding custody of Sophia.

6 arrested in Rhoden family murder case

Pike County: Custody battle plays role in Rhoden family massacre

Rhoden family: Child at center of custody battle is safe

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure she has a lot of help behind the scenes.

I'm not so sure she has much additional help.

She has some staffers, etc. Most of BCI's work on the case is already done. She may have a legal assistant or two, but I don't think anyone else is helping her. Pike County has court clerks who help out, but they're working for the court and judge, not AC.

We never see any other attorneys from the AG's office at the preliminary hearings. She probably had some help before and shortly after the arrests, but not now. JMO, just a hunch. Certainly no other assistant prosecutors or anyone who could manage the prosecution of a death penalty case.

DeWine and others in charge are notoriously frugal when it comes to state funded staffing. They save as much tax dollars as possible for outside contractors.

ETA: If any of you Ohioans here happen to see notice from any of your state reps that they're doing town hall meetings, stop by and ask them how things are going with covering costs and adequately staffing prosecution of these cases. Legit budget question and it's your money.

Here's a helpful link

Ohio's Online Checkbook

I'm sure she has a lot of help behind the scenes.

I agree. Also, we have to remember she knows these cases inside and out because she has "lived" them every day since the murders. JMO, but Dewine knew early on who he would appoint as Special Prosecutor and she (and Junk) was kept aware of every little detail as it became known. That unfolding knowledge and experience gives her the ultimate advantage that no defense attorney can fight easily, that being the "truth and evidence." All JMO

I agree. Also, we have to remember she knows these cases inside and out because she has "lived" them every day since the murders. JMO, but Dewine knew early on who he would appoint as Special Prosecutor and she (and Junk) was kept aware of every little detail as it became known. That unfolding knowledge and experience gives her the ultimate advantage that no defense attorney can fight easily, that being the "truth and evidence." All JMO

Yes, but there are only 24 hrs in each day. Preparing for trial, handling big motions, managing exhibits and witnesses, etc. being on your feet in court all day for 4 capital murder cases is impossible for just one person. They'll need a team with at least 2 other trial attorneys, if not more. By trial attorneys, I mean attorneys who are experienced in the courtroom who can question witnesses, handle objections, deal with the judge, etc. That's a LOT of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH