GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
No curfew on the lake and their house is so hard to find and tucked back into the cove that only one house has a vantage point to a partial look at the Dermonds house.

I think RD was killed in the garage and SD was bludgeoned on the way down to the boat. The neighbor doesn’t have a vantage point until getting down to the dock. Transporting her body via boat would be easy to hide. I’ve never been pulled over on a lake. I did pull over the Sheriff’s department to boat last month to ask for directions.

Super friendly guys kinda older. They answered my questions and I was on my way. I think everyone stills feels safe which means they know who did it but can’t prove it.

Keep in mind that I was filming that day and the only person who paid attention was the one house that saw the man on the lawn and that was sheer coincidence. They just happened to pull the pontoon boat in as I was coming out of the narrow cove. The water way past the Dermonds dock gets down to 3 feet in depth and 7 feet in width!

I know 1 body was dumped by boat or at least I suspect it was. SS has publicly said he doesn't believe either of them were killed at the house but I disagree and here's why. There is too much risk to bring them outside of the house . Lets say the Killers arrived by boat and they took the Dermonds from the house, blindfolded, wrists tied up, gagged so they wouldn't scream etc. Now picture the killers driving a boat on the lake with 2 elderly people onboard tied up, What if a fisherman sees them? It's possible because even if this happened at night ( which fisherman love fishing at night) there's a risk of being seen. Now they obviously brought Mr Dermond back to the house either by boat or by car to behead him in the garage (after he was killed somewhere else) Another risky thing to do. So after the beheading they left the residence yet again by car or by boat that's a lot of activity in less than 24 hours and probably less than a few hours. No matter what time of day or night they came and went they took great risk in leaving and coming back. For a quiet lake things like this make people notice. I'm thinking they were killed in the house or garage. Not sure if there is a curfew or not for having the boat out on the lake maybe there is if so this probably didn't happen at night or they didn't come by boat.

Just typing my scambled thoughts as they come to mind

I just think if they made 3 trips at night someone would have either seen or heard them . here's my thinking when the cops questioned people on the lake. Did anyone notice any boats that normally aren't on the water during the weekend? Anyone hear or see anything odd? Things like that might have someone say " well you know I did hear a boat a few times during the night. it might be a distance but maybe someone was a night owl or awoke to go to the bathroom and noticed a boat out there. I know boats are quiet but it's possible someone saw or heard something. Remember in every neighborhood there's always a night owl or 2

This is my very first post. I have always been super interested in cold cases, and this one is really bugging me. I just keep thinking about the grandchildren... They have 4 kids and 9 grandchildren, 3 of their kids were living when the murders occurred and those three all passed polygraphs of various sorts.

But it sounds like this couple was probably worth $2-3 million or maybe a little more... There are 9 grandchildren, each of which would likely be inheriting quite a nice chunk of money of at least $100K or more. How deeply have they been looked into? Have they been polygraphed?
Welcome to WS @DrNomiashi! We're glad you're here! Maybe you can help break this case wide open!

You don't hear trolling motors

And I've said it before all they did was shut down the loud motor and raise it, then kick in the trolling motor and they know the shoreline in that Cove or they wouldn't have gone by boat imo.. most boats draft is 3 ft ..minimum anyway and pontoon boats can be beached easily and i think have less thsn 3ft draft meaning they can get into shallower places

Well those that have lived on the lakes like I have know how quiet it is at night and unless you have dogs barking you're not going to hear a thing

Sleep is an unconscious State unless there is a loud boom or lots of loud noises will anyone be awakened

That's my experience and I've had people on my Shore 50 feet from my house in broad daylight and I didn't even know until the dogs barked

The houses in these coves are farther from the shore than mine was so I can see so how somebody got away with with it especially with the treed lots and vacant Lots around them and dark Cove

I just think if they made 3 trips at night someone would have either seen or heard them . here's my thinking when the cops questioned people on the lake. Did anyone notice any boats that normally aren't on the water during the weekend? Anyone hear or see anything odd? Things like that might have someone say " well you know I did hear a boat a few times during the night. it might be a distance but maybe someone was a night owl or awoke to go to the bathroom and noticed a boat out there. I know boats are quiet but it's possible someone saw or heard something. Remember in every neighborhood there's always a night owl or 2

Last edited:
We
This is my very first post. I have always been super interested in cold cases, and this one is really bugging me. I just keep thinking about the grandchildren... They have 4 kids and 9 grandchildren, 3 of their kids were living when the murders occurred and those three all passed polygraphs of various sorts.

But it sounds like this couple was probably worth $2-3 million or maybe a little more... There are 9 grandchildren, each of which would likely be inheriting quite a nice chunk of money of at least $100K or more. How deeply have they been looked into? Have they been polygraphed?

Welcome to the discussion, Dr! SS is a smart man, and I would think all family members have been thoroughly investigated.

This still has me puzzled. Why would only one grandchild receive an inheritance? Perhaps this person knew ahead of time, and thought the amount would be larger?

IMHO
The Ds had 4 children, one of whom was deceased. The estate was split equally amongst the remaining 3 adult children, with a small amount also going to the one grandchild, the offspring of their deceased son, according to SS.

The Ds had 4 children, one of whom was deceased. The estate was split equally amongst the remaining 3 adult children, with a small amount also going to the one grandchild, the offspring of their deceased son, according to SS.

Thanks, deugirtni! Had heard a similar version, but nice to hear the explanation, per SS.

The problem arises in the fact that the Dermonds only had 3 total neighbors and two were out of town. The house with the vantage point is across the cove and 147 Carolyn Drive screams stay away from my house.

I agree that you wouldn’t have heard a boat come or go. I’m not sure a pontoon boat would fit past the Dermonds docks. The house with the pontoon boat is across the cove before the Dermonds.

You could get a small fishing boat with a trolling motor through to REM guys house but I honestly was shocked how narrow it got past the Dermonds dock and I was on a jet ski.

Whoever parked a boat their had 100% done it many many times before.

If news ever comes out that the boat driver had never docked a boat at 147 Carolyn Drive I’ll start rooting for Alabama over Auburn in football and that’s not every happening!

I predicted awhile back that SS would solve this case this month. I just wanted to tell the jolly gentleman that is SS that the clock is ticking and he has 12 days ;)

You don't hear trolling motors

And I've said it before all they did was shut down the loud motor and raise it, then kick in the trolling motor and they know the shoreline in that Cove or they wouldn't have gone by boat imo.. most boats draft is 3 ft ..minimum anyway and pontoon boats can be beached easily and i think have less thsn 3ft draft meaning they can get into shallower places

Well those that have lived on the lakes like I have know how quiet it is at night and unless you have dogs barking you're not going to hear a thing

Sleep is an unconscious State unless there is a loud boom or lots of loud noises will anyone be awakened

That's my experience and I've had people on my Shore 50 feet from my house in broad daylight and I didn't even know until the dogs barked

The houses in these coves are farther from the shore than mine was so I can see so how somebody got away with with it especially with the treed lots and vacant Lots around them and dark Cove

I agree, this is my opinion on the likely the reason for the removal of his head and her body.
I just feel like dna was the reason for the removal of the head, if they could have carried him away, they wouldnt have had to take the head where dna quite possibly would be found but I hink we can agree they coudnt carry him, and certainly not after the head was removed, too messy

I agree that you wouldn’t have heard a boat come or go. I’m not sure a pontoon boat would fit past the Dermonds docks. The house with the pontoon boat is across the cove before the Dermonds.

You could get a small fishing boat with a trolling motor through to REM guys house but I honestly was shocked how narrow it got past the Dermonds dock and I was on a jet ski.

If news ever comes out that the boat driver had never docked a boat at 147 Carolyn Drive I’ll start rooting for Alabama over Auburn in football and that’s not every happening!

I predicted awhile back that SS would solve this case this month. I just wanted to tell the jolly gentleman that is SS that the clock is ticking and he has 12 days ;)
GOD KNOWS, I and everyone here HOPES SS will solve it this month, not sure what prompted that prediction!

Did your jetski drag any TJ? In the cove I mean?

Still though, as dark as it was, who would really notice AND.......something I havent thought of before, was anyone HOME a the houses across the cove? I mean people DO sit on the docks at night and well after midnight, for whatever reason so they ran the risk of being seen that way

BUt as far as hearing anything, naw, any boater can make quiet one way or another, I've had my motor go out and we rowed our pontoon 1/2 a mile LOL.....so there's THAT too

SO as far as draft.........if they beached a pontoon, that's fine if it was too shallow, easy to push off, I have done ours myself........also though.........a fishing boat or flat bottom boat can probalby get in easier

HEY YOU KNOW what?! Maybe thats why they didnt take RD! NO ROOM in the boat! Had to use a small boat to get in there and then something unforseen happened and had to behead him because they couldnt and hadnt planned on taking him, only her to slow down the investigation........

, I dont think they'd behead him without reason though, Im not really sure about the bullet scenario...........not enough if any gunspatter and I think they were both killed in the garage, or she was in shock and led out after midnight or atleast at dark

NOW

WE NEED YOU TO BOAT DOWN THERE AFTER DARK AND TELL US THAT EXPERIENCE;):D

The problem arises in the fact that the Dermonds only had 3 total neighbors and two were out of town. The house with the vantage point is across the cove and 147 Carolyn Drive screams stay away from my house.
TWO were out of town?? Which other was out of town besides Maples on the D's street?

SO you are saying the one on the dead end of the cove had the best view of the cove and dermonds property???

Thanks

Did all Dermond children boat? Can they navigate the cove?
How about their grands?
I we recall back to the beginning of the investigation it was determined the Dermonds had owned a boat and had recently sold it, say a few years before the murders

Most people boat but not all people will swim in that GA dirty water LOL

Like Hockeyguy, I"ve seen pics online of several in boats, even the inlaws

DOnt know who owned one though

So, tennis, just to be clear, you would be cheering WDE on Saturday afternoons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan