Found Deceased WY - Aubree Corona, 28, did not return to campsite, Sublette County, 13 Jul 2019

It doesn’t sound like she had any sense of direction. She could have feasibly gone around in circles once she decided to try to walk out (if that’s what she did). There’s also a good chance she was just looking for higher ground to get some cell reception. It’s just tragic.

It doesn’t sound like she had any sense of direction. She could have feasibly gone around in circles once she decided to try to walk out (if that’s what she did). There’s also a good chance she was just looking for higher ground to get some cell reception. It’s just tragic.

This definitely seems like something that would happen to me. I have the direction of a dizzy squirrel trapped in a brown paper bag. So tragic.

I have a feeling Aubree's family, friends and bf will end up knowing more than we ever will. No matter what happened, I pray you will some day find peace and closure, and comfort in knowing that there are complete strangers who truly are grieving with you for your loss.

A normal person in good health can last for a week+ without food, and around two to three days without water under good conditions. I'm pretty sure that even at my age I could walk 30 miles and out of most situations where there are trails or unimproved roads without any supplies. Makes me curious what the cause of death was.

This is what I was wondering as well. I'm not in good enough shape to walk 30 miles in a day, but I could walk much further than a mile-- even on mountainous roads (BTDT). Aubree was young and seemingly healthy so why did she only get 1.3 miles from the truck? Was she wandering in circles or weakened from no food or water? I also keep a case of bottled water in my car at all times and I always have emergency granola bars in my purse in case I get stuck somewhere. If I'm traveling somewhere remote I try to take extra food in the car. But Aubree's purchases at the two gas stations make me wonder how much food and water she had in the truck.

She only bought an energy drink and texted her boyfriend she was going to get pizza before heading back to camp. We don't know if she ever got the pizza or not. She was also supposed to pick up ice for the camp but there is no confirmation on if she got the ice. If she had a cooler with her to put the ice in then the melted ice would have been an emergency source of water to drink. She had been driving around from 7 Am to 3 PM at the time she texted her boyfriend to say she was going to get pizza and head back. If this was me I would have eaten my emergency granola bars while lost and several bottles of water. I would have wanted to restock my car with more food at the gas station. But it doesn't seem like she did that. If all she had that day was an energy drink then she would have already been starving and dehydrated at the point the truck broke down.

It's still a mystery to me why she got directions and a map to take paved roads but didn't follow them to get to Pinedale. It must be so frustrating to her family to think she could have gotten help from someone if the truck had broken down on a more traveled road. I really hope the autopsy results have a conclusive cause of death.

MOO.

I was thinking the oil pan as well, as I recall several being damaged on dirt roads during camping trips in my youth. What I don't remember is whether or not the damaged oil pan prevented the car from starting, or if it was merely inadvisable to drive it any significant distance because the engine would be destroyed. Maybe in this case the oil pan was punctured earlier in the day, and Aubree continued driving, unaware of the problem or trying to reach a location where she could call for help, until the engine gave out? Any auto mechanics here who can add their knowledge?

Her boyfriend @GATOR30 (who is also a VI here) is a mechanic. I hope he will eventually come back and tell us what the truck had wrong with it when they found it. I wonder if the police have released the vehicle yet.

I think that people can become panicked in these types of situations, especially when the usual modes of communication or ability to connect are not an option. When a person is in stress things like directions or planning can be compromised. She had been driving around for hours, with a sparse amount of food and water, and needing to make an appointment she missed. I am sure she was doing the best she could.

A normal person in good health can last for a week+ without food, and around two to three days without water under good conditions. I'm pretty sure that even at my age I could walk 30 miles and out of most situations where there are trails or unimproved roads without any supplies. Makes me curious what the cause of death was.

I think an answer lies within how skilled she was in stress situations and in following trails. It seems like she was lost or unsure at multiple points when on more developed routes.

So most people who suddenly realize they are lost and are on foot, tend to wander around a bit and see if they can find a landmark they can get their bearing from. When that fails, most of them go into a blind panic and run until they get winded, then they sit down and start to think about how to get out of their situation. This is all very evident when you are following their tracks and you can see the various stages of confusion, panic and exhaustion. I hope someone from the SAR team paid attention to the tracks so that this portion of the story was documented in the report.

My fiance told me always keep lighters and newspapers in the trunk along with a case of water. He told me if you are lost in nowhere start a fire and if you have an inoperable vehicle start it on fire- he said it will call attention and also provide you with a landmark as to where you were. Don't know how sound his advice is but there is a case of water old newpapers and lighters in my car trunk.

My fiance told me always keep lighters and newspapers in the trunk along with a case of water. He told me if you are lost in nowhere start a fire and if you have an inoperable vehicle start it on fire- he said it will call attention and also provide you with a landmark as to where you were. Don't know how sound his advice is but there is a case of water old newpapers and lighters in my car trunk.

I think it's smart to be prepared to light a fire but please don't burn your vehicle as a signal fire if you are ever stranded. For one thing, you risk an explosion when the fire reaches the fuel tank. For another, the car can be used as a shelter and protection from predators while you wait for rescue (just be sure to open the windows if it's hot outside). And lastly if you burn the car and no one see it then you are forced to walk away from it. You've destroyed many resources you could have used and it will look like possible foul play when the car is found. You should practice starting a regular fire with wood/whatever items are on hand as a signal fire. If you feel you MUST burn something to get more attention then remove and burn the tires only (one at a time) as they will create a thick black smoke (sorry to any environmentalists reading-- but this would be in an extreme emergency only). If you hear helicopters overhead grab something bright/colorful, try to get in a cleared area and lay on the ground; Open and close your arms and legs like you are doing jumping jacks while laying down. It makes it easier for the helicopter to see you from the air than if you are standing and waving.

If it doesn't look like rescue is coming and you must leave the vehicle, then leave a note with your car telling the direction you went to seek help. As you go be sure to leave a clear trail to mark your path. Break small branches from trees/bushes as you walk OR make an arrow in the dirt with sticks or some rocks pointing the way you went if you are on a path. Use markers in places where you have a choice between two directions-- this can be especially helpful if you are following a path that might be circular. If the path returns to your marker then you will know that you just went in a circle. Another good skill to have is to learn how to use a compass (get a small one for your key chain) and either keep track of the direction of the path as you walk or if no path is clear choose a direction you believe leads to civilization and stay on that course checking with the compass as you go. Another strategy is to follow a stream or river and hope it takes you to a main road but that is not always a helpful method-- in some locations water will end up taking you to the ocean or to a rocky, slippery waterfall. I wonder if that is what happened to Aubrey. If she tried to follow a creek out while in the mountains she might have found herself in a more precarious location than where the truck was found. That could explain why she wasn't very far from the vehicle.

JMO (I'm no survival expert but I was in the Girl Scouts :p ).

Last edited:

That’s what the guy who started the Cedar Fire (2003) did. He burned 270,000 acres, burned 2200 homes, and killed 15 people.

I’m glad poor Aubree had never gotten that sort of advice.

That’s what the guy who started the Cedar Fire (2003) did. He burned 270,000 acres, burned 2200 homes, and killed 15 people.

I’m glad poor Aubree had never gotten that sort of advice.

Good to get both views. I suppose a contained signaling would work. I really like the burn tire idea. Start with the spare.
In any case, be safe. Be vigilant. Be prepared. Everywhere you go.

So most people who suddenly realize they are lost and are on foot, tend to wander around a bit and see if they can find a landmark they can get their bearing from. When that fails, most of them go into a blind panic and run until they get winded, then they sit down and start to think about how to get out of their situation. This is all very evident when you are following their tracks and you can see the various stages of confusion, panic and exhaustion. I hope someone from the SAR team paid attention to the tracks so that this portion of the story was documented in the report.

Thank you for doing what you do as a SAR search manager. Tough, dangerous and probably not enough pay for what all of you do to help the public.

I think it's smart to be prepared to light a fire but please don't burn your vehicle as a signal fire if you are ever stranded. For one thing, you risk an explosion when the fire reaches the fuel tank. For another, the car can be used as a shelter and protection from predators while you wait for rescue (just be sure to open the windows if it's hot outside). And lastly if you burn the car and no one see it then you are forced to walk away from it. You've destroyed many resources you could have used and it will look like possible foul play when the car is found. You should practice starting a regular fire with wood/whatever items are on hand as a signal fire. If you feel you MUST burn something to get more attention then remove and burn the tires only (one at a time) as they will create a thick black smoke (sorry to any environmentalists reading-- but this would be in an extreme emergency only). If you hear helicopters overhead grab something bright/colorful, try to get in a cleared area and lay on the ground; Open and close your arms and legs like you are doing jumping jacks while laying down. It makes it easier for the helicopter to see you from the air than if you are standing and waving.

If it doesn't look like rescue is coming and you must leave the vehicle, then leave a note with your car telling the direction you went to seek help. As you go be sure to leave a clear trail to mark your path. Break small branches from trees/bushes as you walk OR make an arrow in the dirt with sticks or some rocks pointing the way you went if you are on a path. Use markers in places where you have a choice between two directions-- this can be especially helpful if you are following a path that might be circular. If the path returns to your marker then you will know that you just went in a circle. Another good skill to have is to learn how to use a compass (get a small one for your key chain) and either keep track of the direction of the path as you walk or if no path is clear choose a direction you believe leads to civilization and stay on that course checking with the compass as you go. Another strategy is to follow a stream or river and hope it takes you to a main road but that is not always a helpful method-- in some locations water will end up taking you to the ocean or to a rocky, slippery waterfall. I wonder if that is what happened to Aubrey. If she tried to follow a creek out while in the mountains she might have found herself in a more precarious location than where the truck was found. That could explain why she wasn't very far from the vehicle.

JMO (I'm no survival expert but I was in the Girl Scouts :p ).
Well I said I was not sure if this was sound advice- thank you for providing clear direction. I have no plans of traveling alone nor burning cars- I thank you for clarification- maybe that's what fiance meant and wasn't specific- communication is not his strong suit

Well I said I was not sure if this was sound advice- thank you for providing clear direction. I have no plans of traveling alone nor burning cars- I thank you for clarification- maybe that's what fiance meant and wasn't specific- communication is not his strong suit

Lol. We’re all sure he knew what HE meant, and we all have male family, friends whose communication skills need help. Mine do, too!
But I really thought about these survival points that you made in your thread. Adding ideas I never knew. I bet everyone reading these posts learned a few things.
So thank you all for commenting!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood