CA CA - Matthew Weaver, 21, Santa Monica Mountains, 10 Aug 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found what looks like a body. I've submitted this to the tips site as well, but thought I'd post here too. It's in image 14.

This was the post I was referencing in my question above. There does appear to be something in the photos worth checking out. Neuralapse does say that they sent in this tip, but I never saw if there was a response.
20181104-searchscan1-014_closeup-jpg.164715
20181104-searchscan1-014_far-jpg.164716

Does anyone know what this is (circled) in the photo where the hat was found? Is it somewhere where Matthew might have looked for shelter?

Attachments

• img 776.PNG
    img 776.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
Thanks @dezireeann, you're right, it's definitely photo: 20181104-SearchScan1-145.jpg. In the attached image, I've circled the same part of the photo using the hi-res downloaded version. I've also included the same area from other photos. There's definitely some unusual colour spots present, but I'm not sure how to interpret them.

View attachment 198254
Thanks @dezireeann, you're right, it's definitely photo: 20181104-SearchScan1-145.jpg. In the attached image, I've circled the same part of the photo using the hi-res downloaded version. I've also included the same area from other photos. There's definitely some unusual colour spots present, but I'm not sure how to interpret them.

View attachment 198254

Yeah it's hard to make out if there is actually something there or if it's a reflection from the drone camera lens. I sent it to them in January but have not gotten a response as to whether or not it was checked out (I'm sure it was checked) so I am still very curious...

Last edited:
This was the post I was referencing in my question above. There does appear to be something in the photos worth checking out. Neuralapse does say that they sent in this tip, but I never saw if there was a response.
20181104-searchscan1-014_closeup-jpg.164715
20181104-searchscan1-014_far-jpg.164716

If you look at the last few photos in the file, you'll be able to see this area in a different light. The white thing on the right is still there, but the spot you circled looks to be a bush.

View attachment 198254
It looks like ground-cover in various stages of dying/drying out. Since it's on a flat (ish) area on the side of a cliff, it probably gets runoff/falling rocks/animal paths that can cause it to look how it does. The high-res photos also do funky things with the colors when you zoom in... maybe because of the shadows and different depths? I'm not sure why, but it definitely trips me up sometimes.

Anyone know which of the aerial photos this was taken from? The original post now seems to be incomplete.

@wildcats821 The downloadable 14GB ZIP file of the photos from the site at Aerial Photos gives issues when Windows tries to extract/open it - it gets flagged as 'invalid'. It will, however, open using a 3rd party extraction tool, such as 7-Zip. This could be down to the way the file was originally zipped - possibly on a 32bit system. Also, the download link at the top right of the album page seems to work, but only downloads a small portion of the available images. Hope I haven't bored you too much with technical details, but the full-res images are much better for the public to search in so might be worth talking with your technical contact to ensure the download versions are all working correctly?

Truly hope you get some solid answers soon. No family should ever have to suffer like this.
I did let the PI know so he is going to get on it.

I just watched this, thanks for sharing. I didn't know Matthew had injured his head a couple nights earlier. I hope you get answers soon. I can't even imagine the heartache at reaching the one-year anniversary and still not knowing where he is.
Yes a couple days prior he stood up under a bridge underpass and hit his head

Hi. I was the one that submitted the photo. I viewed (not download) the aerial photos from Aerial Photos and it was photo 144. I did notice that the photos had different numbers which made it confusing but I went back and checked and although it's showing as picture #144 I think it's actually #145: 20181104-SearchScan1-145.jpg
If you have not already can you submit it to the tip line so I can add it

To the family, I was out at the site the other day, one thing I noticed is that the ground easily shows foot prints. On the day after Matthew went missing, was the search and rescue able to identify any of his footprints and track them?

One other question, respectfully, the remains that were found after the most recent Malibu fires, were they ever confirmed to NOT be Matthews?

Thank you

I notice in one of the last set of search photos, there's a deputy looking down into a deep dark hole that looks like maybe it used to be a mine shaft. I wonder if there are more around and if he could have fallen into something like that.

What/where are these "search photos"? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member