CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean how did she physically get to the other location assuming it is true that LE confirmed that she was there based on the pictures that show she was there? LE has never given any indication that the photos are photoshopped or they don't believe his story. If they had any suspicions then why would they say there is no evidence of foul play?

This is obviously JMO (as always) but my read on LD saying there is no evidence of foul play is that they pretty consistently made that statement in response to questions MSM put to them re: RT's promulgating the abduction theory.

I think LE then ultimately became much more specific in stating they did not believe BT had been abducted.

However, it may also be literally true that LE had no direct evidence of foul play when they made that statement.

That doesn't mean they don't suspect it. They just aren't going to give voice to their suspicions. Suspicion is a feeling.

LE butters their bread with facts, not feelings.

JMO.

Last edited:
This is the last report (see link below) I can find that says LE doesn't suspect foul play. If anyone can find something more recent, please share.

My point here is that this was said while the active search was taking place and before Barbara's case was turned over to detectives in the Specialized Investigations Division. So, just as we don't know whether or not RT still believes BT was abducted as he said on July 15, we also don't know whether or not LE suspects foul play.

The investigation is fluid and we haven't received any updates. MOO

JUL 19, 2019
Video: The search continues for 69-year-old hiker Barbara Thomas
At the end of this video, the reporter says, "Investigators say the questions they asked RT are standard for missing person investigations stressing they do not suspect foul play in this case."

I think the reason the media lost interest was because there was no evidence of an abduction and no evidence of foul play.

There is not much to report about a missing person other than what LE have reported.

If suddenly there is evidence of foul play, it would be right back in the news again. That's why they look closely and search relentlessly for any signs of foul play, like warrants pertaining to an individual or the company they are involved in, or any dirt they can find on any member of the family. Apparently the media could not find any evidence of a crime.

Yes, the short attention span of the general public has a lot to do with it. They want murder, drama, sex, and intrigue.

So when they thought the husband might be a suspect in the case they were interested. As soon as it was confirmed that he was not a suspect the media lost interest.

However I doubt it stopped them from digging deeper, and trying to uncover any search warrants related to the case.

It's hard to believe LE has issued any search warrants into cell phone data, computer data, or any other digital trail without the media finding out about it, especially considering it's all public information. Imo
Respectfully, I have to disagree with the BBM based on prior cases I have followed involving this investigative agency. If they find evidence of foul play, I highly doubt they are going to share it with the news media. MOO

Respectfully, I have to disagree with the BBM based on prior cases I have followed involving this investigative agency. If they find evidence of foul play, I highly doubt they are going to share it with the news media. MOO

I agree that the SBCSO may want any potential suspects to stay nice and calm until they have enough evidence lined up. It wouldn't be good if a potential suspect -- who might be the only person to know where BT is -- were to do something rash such as leaving the country.

Regarding RT as a potential suspect, the case detective told @dbdb11 that the photos showed that RT (and BT??) was where and when he said he was. However, we don't know exactly where and perhaps more important when that was. We don't know whether LE suspects the timestamps of having been altered. If the timestamps were correct, we don't know how much time that would leave before the 911 call. I also don't know whether, given all the rumors flying around on the internet, LE might actually put out misleading info to keep any potential suspect calm.

I don't think LE getting the surveillance tapes from the gas station necessarily means they think RT and BT weren't at Kelbaker/Hidden Hill. They might've wanted to check on the demeanor, behavior, and condition of both Thomases earlier in the day. They may have been trying to (as much as possible) reconstruct and confirm their movements up until the time of the 911 call. They also might've wanted to make sure no one was following the Thomases. JMO.

Last edited:
People go missing often in outdoor areas. Most are live rescues within 24-48 hours of SAR getting the call. Some are recoveries. Then some are still missing. Kris Fowler comes to mind, missing for 3 years. There was another organized search for him this month. Most of these cases do not make the news. You will see them discussed in local hiking groups sometimes.

IMO, this one grabbed headlines initially because she was described as wearing a bikini. It was even in the headline on WS. It was an attention grabber.

I’m most likely odd one out here and believe she’s deceased due to mishap, no foul play. No abduction. There are some things that give me pause but not enough to sway my opinion right now. If this case turns in another direction, with a suspect named, I’ll throw them on the table for discussion.

I hope for all that love Barbara to get answers soon.

Private Plane, Who Knew?
And RT has a private plane that no one seems to have known about and what he used / uses it for. MOOish
@Twistinginthewind :) Thanks for your post.
Could be as you say, no one (or not many) knew.
Brings to mind a couple I know w $ XX,000,000+ moolah who discuss/disclose little to their 'poor relations' (or to anyone) about their $ or toys, etc, because, originally coming from same socio-economic level as others in fam, they do not want to be seen as bragging or arrogant. Aside from a few 'indulgences' they live a modest life. The opposite of 'all flash, no cash' types.

Maybe RT & BT just stayed low key about some things - like the plane?
Just a possibility, not saying it's true.

Last edited:
Private Plane, Who Knew?

@Twistinginthewind :) Thanks for your post.
Could be as you say, no one (or not many) knew.
Brings to mind a couple I know w $ XX,000,000+ moolah who discuss/disclose little to their 'poor relations' (or to anyone) about their $ or toys, etc, because, originally coming from same socio-economic level as others in fam, they do not want to be seen as bragging or arrogant. Aside from a few 'indulgences' they live a modest life. The opposite of 'all flash, no cash' types.

Maybe RT & BT just stayed low key about some things - like the plane?
Just a possibility, not saying it's true.
my ponderings -
where did they go on their private plane? what was it for? to visit friends in south or north america?
MOO

People go missing often in outdoor areas. Most are live rescues within 24-48 hours of SAR getting the call. Some are recoveries. Then some are still missing. Kris Fowler comes to mind, missing for 3 years. There was another organized search for him this month. Most of these cases do not make the news. You will see them discussed in local hiking groups sometimes.

IMO, this one grabbed headlines initially because she was described as wearing a bikini. It was even in the headline on WS. It was an attention grabber.

I’m most likely odd one out here and believe she’s deceased due to mishap, no foul play. No abduction. There are some things that give me pause but not enough to sway my opinion right now. If this case turns in another direction, with a suspect named, I’ll throw them on the table for discussion.

I hope for all that love Barbara to get answers soon.
could mishap mean death by accident by another person, say as in physical violence eg. one punch out of anger, but that wasn't necessarily premeditated? MOO

Tagging @gitana1 , gitana, if you have a chance, can you please share your knowledge of Cal. laws r/t search warrants being sealed?

Would there be a way for the public to find out whether or not search warrants were issued, even if the contents of the warrants were sealed?

If the media filed a FOIA request for any and all search warrants they would then find out if there were any that had been sealed. I think!

If the media filed a FOIA request for any and all search warrants they would then find out if there were any that had been sealed. I think!
Thanks so much, @gitana1 !

I sure hope some media outlet files a FOIA request, then.
At least they could then report on whether or not any warrants have been signed.

JMO.

I wonder what trips RT and BT have taken since they have been together.
Honeymoon?
Canada to see his family?
BT only - Hong Kong last year.
Was this the first time Barbara had been to HK?
Or did they prefer to use their fifth wheel for excursions? Thus no commercial flights, hotel rooms, out of the public eye.

could mishap mean death by accident by another person, say as in physical violence eg. one punch out of anger, but that wasn't necessarily premeditated? MOO

IMO, being turned around, truly lost. This is an unforgiving environment. I have never been. (Give me snow any day and I’m a happy hiker)Heat stroke was a concern of mine from the beginning. I also think it’s possible she tried higher elevation to take a look and lost her footing. I have even thought about her making it back to the RV and venturing back out again and they were looking for each other.

I personally don’t believe there was an explosion of violence.

IMO, being turned around, truly lost. This is an unforgiving environment. I have never been. (Give me snow any day and I’m a happy hiker)Heat stroke was a concern of mine from the beginning. I also think it’s possible she tried higher elevation to take a look and lost her footing. I have even thought about her making it back to the RV and venturing back out again and they were looking for each other.

I personally don’t believe there was an explosion of violence.
ah ok, thank you for clarifying for me.

In a prior thread, Dbdb (verified insider) said they were accustomed to going to Canada every summer to visit his family. Perhaps Barb flew on his plane.

Our VI, Dbdb said his own FOIA request was denied. I don't know which court he filed in (or where the search warrant would be sought, if LE wanted to search the Bullhead City home). I presume it would be filed through AZ LE? With SBCSD cooperating?

I agree that the SBCSO may want any potential suspects to stay nice and calm until they have enough evidence lined up. It wouldn't be good if a potential suspect -- who might be the only person to know where BT is -- were to do something rash such as leaving the country.

Regarding RT as a potential suspect, the case detective told @dbdb11 that the photos showed that RT (and BT??) was where and when he said he was. However, we don't know exactly where and perhaps more important when that was. We don't know whether LE suspects the timestamps of having been altered. If the timestamps were correct, we don't know how much time that would leave before the 911 call. I also don't know whether, given all the rumors flying around on the internet, LE might actually put out misleading info to keep any potential suspect calm.

I don't think LE getting the surveillance tapes from the gas station necessarily means they think RT and BT weren't at Kelbaker/Hidden Hill. They might've wanted to check on the demeanor, behavior, and condition of both Thomases earlier in the day. They may have been trying to (as much as possible) reconstruct and confirm their movements up until the time of the 911 call. They also might've wanted to make sure no one was following the Thomases. JMO.
BBM

Yep, and therein lies the problem. We know the story that RT told Barb's family but we have no idea what time RT told police he last saw Barbara or where. Wherever and whenever that was, there are some photos. o_O MOO

I found the first reference to the "parking lot." It's in Dbdb's post around July 18, thread #1. It's when he's recounting what RT said to his father while his sister was on speaker phone. He says he is recounting what his sister said she heard (so it's second hand) and that his memory isn't perfect. There's no mention of the shape of the lot. Since the word "lot" might be used by many people to refer to what most Californians (and Arizonans) would call a "pull-out" (temporary parking, unpaved), I think it's likely to be one of the two turn-outs nearest where the RV was (probably north, if they climbed those rocks that SAR keeps searching).

However, it's interesting that the timing issue pops up again. Here's the quote:

she took a 360 picture that morning from on top of a hill and the photo included a parking lot with some vehicles in it so the police are looking into their license plates/info.

More than once in that same post, Dbdb recalls that it was morning when they went hiking (and then he mentions noon as the time that RT called LE). Note that it is vehicles plural (which is odd out there, really, that's probably what made me think it was a workplace), and in this quote, he says LE will look into it.

Nothing about it being square, anyway. I'll keep going through the early threads, though, there are lots of small interesting details that I thought were true (and may not be) and some that I missed on first pass. I think they have all be been discussed ably by forum members, and no way have there been any beating of dead equines, MOO.

I’m sorry.
RT has got her in Vegas
telling the camera in his interview something like ..
dude just drop her off no questions asked.
His over thinking is TMI for me.
And
She is a looker. Still.
Slim, active..like a Bo Derek/Linda Evans
Double take for her age absolutely.
I just get a bad feeling.
Like how he devalues her..in concert with puffing himself up.

Devil is in the details.
All JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads