CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbara is either missing in the Mojave Desert, or missing in a location other than the Mojave Desert.

If she is missing in the Mojave Desert, she is either close to, or farther away from the location that was searched.

I'm personally thinking that farther away is more likely, just because I have faith in the SAR team. But you are all entitled to think she was overlooked.

I keep thinking about the McStay family, and how they were found by an off-road motorcyclist. I believe that if Barbara is there, she could be found by recreationalists as well.

Now if Barbara is missing in a location other than the Mojave Desert, it's important that this case gets national media attention, because she could be anywhere.

Personally, I think the strongest possibility is that she's in the Mojave, not close to where the search occurred, based on what we know now, or rather, what we *think* we know now.

My other thought for today: She wasn't actually seen at the gas station/convenience store where RT stopped for ice. That opens up a lot of territory. IMHO.

Good post, Kapua.
Although we are a bit younger, my husband and I are also avid hikers/campers who like to explore remote places and this case hit home. We have hiked the deserts in California, underestimated the heat and learned quickly not to mess around in that exposure unprepared. RT and KT are also experienced hikers and they don't seem like reckless people. So I question why BT would go on a 2 mile hike in that sun without at least taking a shirt or cover up. It's great to wear a bathing suit, even sunscreen, but that beating sun on bare skin gets unpleasant fast. It seems like BT would know that. It's a little thing and proves nothing but it made me wonder if she was really hiking that day. Seriously, how unfortunate that she was wearing so little, making it harder to see her in the desert. MHO

If the McStay case and Erin Corwin are any example, then SBSD is hard at work but won't do a lot of updates. They could be searching the desert right now and if they keep it quiet, who would know? I feel like RT's camera and photos will be important. I also wonder if their truck or camper had a GPS navigation device that might have tracked their movement? Do we know if RT called 911 from the trailhead? Did he have cell phone reception that tracked their travels? All of that could be useful in backing up RT's story. MHO

This is all just my humble thoughts, so take it for what it's worth. I have no idea what happened to BT and it's still possible that she just walked off in the wrong direction. RT's story is all we have and there's not much to dispute it. I wonder if RT has gone to Las Vegas to look around? He really should try to keep BT's name and photo in the news somehow.

Thank for all your time and info, Websleuths. The wait now may be long but Kapua is right. Driving through the remote Mojave, you see people riding motorcycles, etc, all the time. Finding BT is key at this point.

I think that's what happened, yes. I only remember the original reference being to a parking area (or possibly parking lot).

People were perusing the map looking for likely spots, and one suggestion was described as a square parking lot. I think that description has become attached to the original, which had no particular description.

Yes, he said there was a parking lot with some cars.

Are These Public Records in Cal.? When?
Excerpt from Post by GordianKnot:
"....I think LE is likely doing a deep dive into the digital data, including cell phone, gps tracking, bank/financial records and computer activity...."

@GordianKnot and @MsBetsy :) Thanks for your posts. bbm sbm

If LE had requested these phone & bank records, etc, would this info be made public under Cal. law already? Anyone? Thx in adv.

I think it depends upon the state:

https://firstamendmentcoalition.org/california-sunshine-ordinances/

Although state law—mainly in the form of the Brown Act and the Public Records Act—governs access rights at the local level, cities and counties are free to enact ordinances that provide greater right of access than state law. These local laws providing extra rights are often referred to as “Sunshine” laws.

At last count, nine local governments in California had enacted such laws: Alameda, Benicia, Contra Costa County, Gilroy, Milpitas, Oakland, Riverside, San Francisco and Vallejo.

More at link for those who are interested

RT called Barbara's brother in Hong Kong on July 16th and RT had already canceled her flight reservations. As far as I know, we don't know the specific date they were canceled, but on or prior to the 16th.

In the same conversation, four days after Barb's disappearance and six days prior to her trip, RT said they (family in HK) should cancel her hotel reservation because, "she's not gonna make it." MOO
And he’s the only one that knew she wasn’t going to make that trip.

Respectfully, I have to disagree with the BBM based on prior cases I have followed involving this investigative agency. If they find evidence of foul play, I highly doubt they are going to share it with the news media. MOO
Yes, of course. I was referring to the media and why they have not reported much on this case.
I didn't mean the media was supposed to find evidence themselves, but when there is a change in the status of an investigation or any information is made public, usually it is news worthy.
Especially if LE announces they have a suspect or a POI.
Imo

bolding by me. Interesting. I must be stupid..i don't understand why a missing person investigation is being investigated by the specialized division??

''The division is comprised of the Homicide Detail, Crimes Against Children, and hi-tech crimes. They investigate a variety of major crimes including homicides, suspicious deaths, in-custody deaths, officer-involved shootings, crimes against children and cyber crimes.''
I thought it was standard procedure for a missing persons investigation once they have completed searching and the person is not found?

And he’s the only one that knew she wasn’t going to make that trip.
This point has been made before, but I'll say it again.
If she had been found, she wasn't likely to be in any state to go jetting off around the world. That just seems like common sense. She would have needed medical attention, rest and quiet after her ordeal, whether she had been lost in the desert for days or rescued from abduction.

Does anyone have a link that say's RT owns a private plane.

I would like to know more about it. Type, age ect. Thanks.
There is no link since it came from our VI. We could probably find a link but posting it wouldn't be allowed since that would be sleuthing the victim. ;) MOO
RE: RT's work: My father's wife said, when they visited Bullhead and stayed over in Laughlin... Rob would manage "shipping delivery" of herbalife, even when spending a weekend in Utah together, and regularly they needed to wait while he was on his phone. She also remembers he always took his cell phone calls very far away from them.

Worth reminding that my dad, his wife (even my siblings and I) have visited them in Henderson and in Bullhead, have taken trips with them in the boat and the RV. Neither my dad nor his wife were ever made aware that Robert had his own plane. According to RT's side of the family it was totally normal for RT and Barb to fly in for a visit. Not really sure what to make of that.

This point has been made before, but I'll say it again.
If she had been found, she wasn't likely to be in any state to go jetting off around the world. That just seems like common sense. She would have needed medical attention, rest and quiet after her ordeal, whether she had been lost in the desert for days or rescued from abduction.

Shouldn't that have been for her to decide? Her brother's health was very uncertain at the time. JMO

Yes, of course. I was referring to the media and why they have not reported much on this case.
I didn't mean the media was supposed to find evidence themselves, but when there is a change in the status of an investigation or any information is made public, usually it is news worthy.
Especially if LE announces they have a suspect or a POI.
Imo
Sorry if I misunderstood, MsBetsy! :)

I thought it was standard procedure for a missing persons investigation once they have completed searching and the person is not found?
That's what they said.

July 22nd - The investigation continues into the whereabouts of missing person Barbara Thomas from SBSD - Colorado River Sheriffs Department : Nixle
UPDATE - Monday, July 22, 2019

[...]

Detectives from the Specialized Investigations Division have assumed the investigation as is standard department policy when a missing person has not been located.

[...]

Thanks so much, @gitana1 !

I sure hope some media outlet files a FOIA request, then.
At least they could then report on whether or not any warrants have been signed.

JMO.
That would be extremely helpful!
For all we know nobody has even attempted to find out.

Maybe some of those who have emailed the media or made inquiries can ask about this request. (my phone won't let me type the letters for some reason)
Any warrants associated with this case would help!

That would be extremely helpful!
For all we know nobody has even attempted to find out.

Maybe some of those who have emailed the media or made inquiries can ask about this request. (my phone won't let me type the letters for some reason)
Any warrants associated with this case would help!
It's number 3 on my list of questions. I'm not sure how many emails I've sent, but it's definitely been asked. So far, no takers. :( MOO

There is no link since it came from our VI. We could probably find a link but posting it wouldn't be allowed since that would be sleuthing the victim. ;) MOO
Thanks. Pretty vague. I can't tell if someone assumed that RT owned the plane instead of renting or if he still has a plane.

I'm going to disregard the posts that hint at drug smuggling and other illegal activities involving the use of a plane. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member