CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any chance that Barbara has disappeared by choice?
I don't know if this was discussed earlier.
Having been near that area once, it is so desolate. Nothing but sand and scrub brush, as far as the eye can see.

It's been discussed (and dismissed) several times. It's really unlikely that someone would voluntarily walk off or get in a car with strangers while possessing no money, no credit cards, no clothing, no phone. This is not how people usually plan voluntary relocation/no contact situations.

While it is desolate, Kelbaker is also a fairly well-traveled road (compared to, say, Hidden Hills Rd).

Are you suggesting she voluntarily wandered off into the desert in an act of self-harm?

Yes! So happy to see this. Great job, dbdb11!

Link to submit press releases to ABC below. I would submit this myself but they want name, address, etc. - it is better coming directly from family. I will send out follow-up emails with the family statement to . Thank you!

Submit Press Releases

ETA: I think your statement also qualifies as breaking news.

Mohave Daily: breakingnews@mohavedailynews.com
Wow, since this is breaking news then they are sure to write an new article on this case.
I hope they ask LE for an update. Maybe they need a little pressure from the media. They may not even realize how many are interested in this case or how many have questions.
I would think they can at least give us an idea of the status of the investigation without jeopardizing it.
I hope we hear something soon. Imo

It seems to me there's an obvious question here.

Why are a 69 and 72 year old out there in unforgiving territory, and harsh weather, in the scrub brush, on a 110 degree day in the hottest month (July)?
What is the reason to be there?

It's not suitable for two seniors, and esp.not in July. There was nothing to see. Sand and scrub.
If Barbara got there at all.

Why are a 69 and 72 year old out there in unforgiving territory, and harsh weather, in the scrub brush, on a 110 degree day in the hottest month (July)?

It's not suitable for two seniors, and esp.not in July. There was nothing to see. Sand and scrub.

Some of your facts are in error. The same errors have been repeated on every single thread since we started. They were on a fairly standard scenic trail, walked by many. It was not 110F (see LE's Nixle reports on weather, helpfully posted on the media thread by PommyMommy).

For a really full discussion of opinions about older people, deserts, and why people hike (even in hot weather), Thread 1 is a good read.

CA - CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, Bullhead City, hiking wearing bikini in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019

And there's plenty more discussion of people's opinions on two older people hiking on Thread 2, as well.

Both theories require amazing timing such that RT does not see or hear it happen. In both theories, no one could have predicted when Barbara would emerge onto the road by herself and precisely at that time

The timing is unlikely, yes. Extremely unlikely.
A woman is missing ....but it is the man who gets protected. That is a tragedy.

Are you suggesting she voluntarily wandered off into the desert in an act of self-harm?

<modsnip - personalizing and discussing moderation>
My actual consideration is that Barbara may have left the country earlier than she had planned, if she felt there was some risk in staying here until her HongKong trip date.

Last edited by a moderator:

By all accounts, they are experienced hikers and used to camping and hiking in those conditions. Barbara enjoyed collecting rocks and interesting pieces of wood. They obviously enjoyed the scenery as they set out to look at the rock formations.

I wouldn't spend too much time in the heat myself, but where I live it rarely gets into the nineties and when it does I prefer to be inside or in the water.

Apparently they are used to the hot weather, but I'm sure people can become ill from dehydration or heat exhaustion even when they are acclimated to it. Imo

Sounds like that bothers you.
Please allow people to freely express themselves .
There's a strong tendency here for certain members to dominate the conversation.
Perhaps Moderator will address that ....because it does affect the input, and brings down the vibration of the website .
My actual consideration is that Barbara may have left the country earlier than she had planned, if she felt there was some risk in staying here until her HongKong trip date.

Well, according to our Verified Insider @dbdb11, she certainly hasn't shown up in Hong Kong, nor has she contacted her ailing brother. I wish the scenario you suggest had occurred, but I fear it has not. JMO

Sounds like that bothers you.
Please allow people to freely express themselves .
There's a strong tendency here for certain members to dominate the conversation.
Perhaps Moderator will address that ....because it does affect the input, and brings down the vibration of the website .
I think it was just a question that was being asked which you answered in your last statement.

The VI had hoped that Barbara would show up in Hong Kong eventually, but since it has been more than six weeks it seems to be unlikely.
If she went somewhere on her own I would think she would at least contact her family. Imo

Well, according to our Verified Insider @dbdb11, she certainly hasn't shown up in Hong Kong, nor has she contacted her ailing brother. I wish the scenario you suggest had occurred, but I fear it has not. JMO
Is it possible they (family) may be protecting her, by keeping her whereabouts a secret?
If it is possible that R Thomas had bad intentions, or a dangerous profession... then it is also possible that his wife needed to get away quickly.

Did Robert ever get the Dog out of Jail ?
Does he have it now ?

Kennels treat my dogs better than I do.
They are walked a number of times daily.
Depending on the kennel, training/grooming can be part of the package.
They receive attention I am unable to give them.
They consider it a "holiday".
I certainly would never consider it "jail" for them.

It's really not for anyone else to dictate how other people might wish to spend their leisure time.
You may be falling into the trap of thinking "I wouldn't want to do that, therefore neither would anyone else." But that's life - people aren't all the same.

The reason to be there that her husband gave is that they stopped there to hike about a mile from the road to look at some rock formations more closely, based on his interview with Inside Edition on the Media Thread.
ETA: As they were on their way to go camping in their RV, presumably somewhere within a day's drive. MOO

Last edited:
Unless RT had uploaded the photos, I would assume LE has them.
He would not be able to share them as he simply would not have them.
Well, we don't know if he has them or not, but the VI has questioned why he has not shared him with the media.
But yes, if he does not have them then he can't share them.

He also mentioned that the first time he called Robert he was busy going through photos with LE. I wonder if those were the pictures from that day.
Imo

It's really not for anyone else to dictate how other people might wish to spend their leisure time.
You may be falling into the trap of thinking "I wouldn't want to do that, therefore neither would anyone else." But that's life - people aren't all the same.
Pretty sure I haven't dictated anything. Quite the opposite.
I am asking: What was the real motive for being there?

Highly unusual for two people of that age to wander in the desert in July .
110 degrees is the kind of weather where older people get heat exhaustion/ heat stroke.
Why does this matter? Because the motive for being there is important, in determining what happened to Barbara.

110 degrees is the kind of weather where older people get heat exhaustion/ heat stroke.
Why does this matter? Because the motive for being there is important, in determining what happened to Barbara.
You said, "It's not suitable for two seniors, and esp.not in July."
That sounds to me like you are saying that they shouldn't go.
But your question has been answered more than once - quite simply, it was something they enjoyed doing, and had often done before. As have others.

That's true, but it was not unusual for them.
It might be a factor if it was something out of the ordinary for them, but it was something they both loved to do, which the VI suggested could be why they were drawn to each other. They shared common interests. Imo

Hang on, didn't the VI say that LE are no longer investigating, or did I misunderstand that too?

I agree, though, that the family (not necessarily RT) should start harassing the media to cover the story. It would appear that BT was loved by her family, so the whole family's silence on this is odd IMO.

I would never subject my family to the scrutiny of social media, nor in this specific case would I offer a reward.
The media are not going to find BT.

As a family, I would be contacting SAR groups, in an effort to organize searches once the weather permits/cools.
Instead of a reward, I would be offering a donation to those SAR groups that would be of assistance in searching for BT.
I would try and coordinate those SAR efforts, as this is a recovery from the limited information we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea