CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me if I missed this question in the threads some where...

Is there any proof that BT ever arrived at the camp location in Mojave? It seems RT is the only person to have confirmed this story happened.

Our VI (her nephew) says LE told him that they have a photo placing Barbara there that day. The public hasn't seen it. But, they believed it enough to be out there for 9 days and a little more.

This has gone on long enough. I believe LE is stumped at this point. They have no direction which to pursue. Short of a discovery, a confession or a someone giving up what they know, this case will reach temperatures typically experienced only in Antarctica, and that makes me sad.
SABBM:

Respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree.

I don't believe LE is stumped at all. I don't think this case is a head-scratcher for them.

It isn't that LE has no direction to pursue. They just need to pursue other avenues in their search for BT.

While it's true that they are no longer looking for her where RT told them she was last seen, it seems apparent that they are still actively working to find her.

JMO.

As has been noted in this and other case threads, more than a few times a body has been recovered from an area previously searched, and searched numerous times by different entities. "Gee, how'd we miss that?!"

It appears the 'rock formation' was searched, as there are photographs showing searchers on the slope and top of the formation. Did those searchers climb the formation to peruse every possible crevice and pocket or did they climb the formation only to get long-distance views of the broader area? I hope their purpose included both.

If they have not done so already, it's time to get cadaver dogs on the formation; searchers may have to carry the dogs up the rocks, as it seems nearly impossible for a dog's stride to safely accommodate the distances between sloped, smoother boulders.

Before certain avenues may be effectively pursued, others must be eliminated from the list. Either BT is in that desert rock formation or within the limited (within 5-15 minutes walking distance) broader desert area or, she isn't.

LE must be positive the search teams performed flawlessly and be adamant BT is not in the limited desert area. When that is true and, given the extremely low probability of an abductor just happening along Kelbaker or Hidden Hill the exact moment BT was approaching their RV... there are only two possibilities left: BT disappeared on her own accord or the other possibility, which we are not permitted to comment.

This has gone on long enough. I believe LE is stumped at this point. They have no direction which to pursue. Short of a discovery, a confession or a someone giving up what they know, this case will reach temperatures typically experienced only in Antarctica, and that makes me sad.
LE investigating this case have a history of silence so I'm hopeful that it's not even approaching cool, much less cold. Six weeks is a long time but considering the terrain, it's just not safe to send SAR out again until it's cooler. This is why a drone investigation would really be helpful.

And I also believe that the investigation has taken a direction away from the desert, at least for the time being. There's a lot for LE to investigation in the meantime - look at all of the unanswered questions we have!

That said, I understand your frustration and feel sad, too.

I've been following this case the best I can due to being super busy with work all summer. I see that there has been mention of a photo putting BT at the location where she went missing. There was a huge time lapse between her 'missing' and the time reported. Is it possible, due to the remote location, that he could have unhooked the RV and taken her somewhere else to dispose of her, then came back? Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I just find this whole case very odd.. He seems to be a man of many layers.

I've been following this case the best I can due to being super busy with work all summer. I see that there has been mention of a photo putting BT at the location where she went missing. There was a huge time lapse between her 'missing' and the time reported. Is it possible, due to the remote location, that he could have unhooked the RV and taken her somewhere else to dispose of her, then came back? Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I just find this whole case very odd.. He seems to be a man of many layers.

As a former RVer, I wouldn’t want to leave my RV unattended along a remote, but fairly busy road. But that’s just me, and RT might have felt differently if he’s involved in her disappearance. It is a very odd case indeed.

As a former RVer, I wouldn’t want to leave my RV unattended along a remote, but fairly busy road. But that’s just me, and RT might have felt differently if he’s involved in her disappearance. It is a very odd case indeed.
I completely agree with you.. I wouldn't want to either.. but... he could have easily left it for even just 30 minutes and been far enough away from the search area then back. again just speculating. Plus, he could have everything locked up including a 5th wheel locking pin. I've travel a lot with my horses in our living quarters trailer and that would be something we could use if needed.

My guess, As a longtime follower of true crime.
Barbara is no longer alive.
Her husband either killed her, or, hired someone to kill her.
Why, does not matter.
None of we normal folks have ever been able to figure out the WHY.
We just cannot figure out WHY.
But... Statistics do not lie.
ALL statistics, gathered over decades of research by very smart people tell us that Barbara was somehow murdered by her husband.
In my opinion.

I was wondering maybe BT, while walking back toward the RV, had witnessed something someones did not want her to see but this is not likely since the presence of the Ts truck and RV was an indicator that people were in the area so it isn't likely that someones would be doing dirty deeds in that location. I'd rule this out so, again, we're left with abduction, self-disappearance and the other thing.

Self-disappearance? Hitch a ride? Again, not likely; an ailing younger brother, trip to HK, etc. A good Samaritan picked up a thumbing-it BT? I'd expect that good Samaritan at some point might want to at least contact LE and advise them of the situation. Would BT want to cause such grief on her family? I'd rule this out.

Abduction? Unless an approaching vehicle was an all-electric type and/or the vehicle approached slowly to the location, the sound of a motorized vehicle c/should have been heard by RT (albeit at a low dB level).

-->>> I struggle with the sound aspect. Current-day vehicles (excepting sports/performance/designed to be 'louder' vehicles) typically are quiet, good exhaust muffling, etc. One-quarter mile, even in mostly-flat desert terrain is still >2000 feet. Throw in a huge 'rock formation' in the path and you might virtually diminish /nearly eliminate hearing sounds emanating from the road. <<<--

BUT... if my SO were to walk ahead of me and to out of my eyesight I would be listening extra-focused in case my SO should call out/require my assistance. We do become complacent in our daily lives and hindsight is nearly 'perfect' but in such a location as a desert and in a high-temperature situation I would not be so complacent. Vehicle door opening, typically little to no sound but closing a vehicle door during an abduction event? There's got to be some to significant noise. Scream or yell for help? Arms flailing. I'd expect items in-hand to go flying hither and door slam. If it was a hand-over-mouth approach, I'd expect the victim to want to grab at the hands covering their mouth, which means, items in-hand go flying, with no "Grab that beer from the road!" command issued to an assistant abductor.

That just doesn't wash.

UNLESS... BT knew the 'abductor(s)' and approached without concern. "Hi, what are you doing here? Good to see y.... oh, sure I'll get in a chat a bit. Robbie is taking pictures, he'll be along soo.... what's happening?????" Conspirators? For a huge payout? Possible (movie fodder), but is it likely? We have no way of knowing at this point.

Occam? Sharpen your razor and meet the dirty wash.

Age has a way of stealing our youth and beauty. The sharpest mind can be quickly dimmed, our ability to do familiar things substantially altered. Where once we possessed the ability to travel independently, for instance, it now may become too difficult.

In younger days we may have foolishly eschewed the aging process. Now we are left with the dilemma of just how to accomplish never growing old.

How do we face the abduction of the life we once knew? Hopefully with wisdom and grace, not violence. But for some the loss of all they’ve loved and cherished may overcome their desire to go on. Are we seeing this played out, the ‘abduction’ of the beautiful woman in the bikini the centerpiece for the drama? Are we witnesses to the decline of a mind unable or unwilling to face an uncertain future?

Last edited:
bbm

Age has a way of stealing our youth and beauty. The sharpest mind can be quickly dimmed, our ability to do familiar things substantially altered. Where once we possessed the ability to travel independently, for instance, it now may become too difficult.

In younger days we may have foolishly eschewed the aging process, we now are left with the dilemma of just how to accomplish never growing old.

How do we face the abduction of the life we once knew? Hopefully with wisdom and grace, not violence. But for some the loss of all they’ve loved and cherished may overcome their desire to go on. Are we seeing this played out, the ‘abduction’ of the beautiful woman in the bikini the centerpiece for the drama? Are we witnesses to the decline of a mind unable or unwilling to face an uncertain future?

I've pondered that possibility... but given the location in this case I find it difficult to accept that such a person could hide themselves so completely so as not to be discovered by qualified and experienced LE and SAR searchers. Rock formation crevice or mine shaft? I understand mine shafts in the broader area to be farther than a 5-15 minute walk could arrive. As for the rock formation, it is possible and is a reason why I believe cadaver dogs should be brought specifically to that feature. Still, I find this scenario not likely, as I would expect a SO to be aware of at least some concerns given the severity of what was defined in your post; apparent elements or hints here and there of a general depression, low energy, forgetfulness, lack of effort or concern of daily rituals, etc. AFAIK, there's been no mention of any of that by RT or by any other family member.

Our VI (her nephew) says LE told him that they have a photo placing Barbara there that day. The public hasn't seen it. But, they believed it enough to be out there for 9 days and a little more.
Placing her where, by the rocks? A sleuther on here went there, left and got on the wrong trail back and ended up at the highway. It's like a maze. Add in heat and older age and you have trouble. I think she is out there somewhere.

Placing her where, by the rocks? A sleuther on here went there, left and got on the wrong trail back and ended up at the highway. It's like a maze. Add in heat and older age and you have trouble. I think she is out there somewhere.
Did the sleuther accidentally take the wrong trail, or did he just say it was possible to take a wrong turn? I can’t actually remember but thought he said you COULD take that wrong turn but you would end up at the highway rather than lost farther into the desert. If BT ended up back at the wrong place on the highway, I’d expect that she’d stay on the highway to continue back to the RV as that would likely be shorter than trying to go back via the trails. But who knows?

The sleuther also said the trail was obvious and well marked and I think also confirmed that the RV should have been visible basically all the time from the trail. I just have a lot of trouble seeing how she would have become lost in such a short time, assuming RT’s estimate is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member