TX - Gunman in Hijacked Mail Truck, multiple victims, Midland/Odessa, 31 August 2019

"The woman told CNN that Seth Ator, 36, would often sit on top of his home and shoot animals at night, which he would then go and retrieve afterwards....

Ator would often sit and sleep inside his Toyota Camry with the heat on when the weather would get to cold, the woman said. He also had no running water."

https://nypost.com/2019/09/01/texas-mass-shooter-threatened-neighbor-shot-animals-from-roof-report/

BBM Jackass.

I did scroll down and randomly investigate the Vox list of mass murders, and most are gang/drug related, murder/suicide, robbery related such as homeowners killing home invaders or robbers killing homeowners, shootings of policemen, jerks shooting each other over arguments, etc.

None of these are acceptable. What do we do? The barn door has already been opened, how do we close it now?

That’s a very interesting thought.

He was just fired, and most mass shootings after a person is fired, seem to take place at the workplace.

Perhaps him being pulled over interrupted those plans, and he redirected his rage on society as a whole.

(What’s oddly “ironic” with this scenario, imo, is that back in the day, the term used to be “Going Postal”...remember the term “Disgruntled Postal Worker”? Considering one of the victims in this case is a “Postal Worker”, I can’t help but see the allegory, a clear reflection of these new times, showing how clearly “outdated” that term is, moo.)

Last edited:
I’m not a rifle expert, but I thoooought I remembered from NOCO threads that .223 can be used for long range shooting, mile and sometimes more if the shooter is good. I’m just curious about the specifics on the weapon and the ammo, if he was into long range shooting. I wonder if he might happen to have some sniper in him, just a thought.

Last edited:
That’s a very interesting thought.

He was just fired, and most mass shootings after a person is fired, seem to take place at the workplace.

Perhaps him being pulled over interrupted those plans, and he redirected his rage on society as a whole.

This makes perfect sense. Just seems odd that a guy with a beef about being fired would be randomly riding around with an assault weapon on go.

Looks like he lived in a mobile home on Cavalli Circle. I wonder how far this is from where he was pulled over. Maybe he went home to get the gun after being fired and was on his way back to the trucking business.

Last edited:
Media and cops make this guy out to be some big bad criminal. I dont see it. He had no felonies so he was always able to buy a gun legally.

From the NYPost article linked above, the cops were trying to visit him after he threatened his neighbor with a gun. They couldn't find him on GPS because he had no official address. Had they found him, they legally could have confiscated his guns.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/01/texas-mass-shooter-threatened-neighbor-shot-animals-from-roof-report/

A neighbor of the Odessa mass shooter says she reported him to police last month — after he threatened her with a rifle for leaving trash near his property — but cops couldn’t find his house on account of it having no GPS address or electricity.

This makes perfect sense. Just seems odd that a guy with a beef about being fired would be randomly riding around with an assault weapon on go.

Looks like he lived in a mobile home on Cavalli Circle. I wonder how far this is from where he was pulled over. Maybe he went home to get the gun after being fired and was on his way back to the trucking business.
My hunch is he always had his gun with him pretty much all the time. He was ready "on go" at any time.

I thought we'd find out he was ex-military, but seems like he honed skills on his own.

jmo

From the NYPost article linked above, the cops were trying to visit him after he threatened his neighbor with a gun. They couldn't find him on GPS because he had no official address. Had they found him, they legally could have confiscated his guns.

Seems to me that the neighbor that reported
him had an address and it wouldn't take too much investigating to find out where he lived.
LE dropped the ball, IMO.

Some reports say he lived in a metal shack-lean to with no water or electricity.
Wonder how long he'd been on the trucking job.

My hunch is he always had his gun with him pretty much all the time. He was ready "on go" at any time.

I thought we'd find out he was ex-military, but seems like he honed skills on his own.

jmo

Sounds like he practiced a lot on the critters running around near his "home". It's scary to think, as you're driving down the highway to go shopping or work, how many other drivers have assault weapons in their car, ready to go. I used to think such things were rare, but no longer.

It's not a fun job, but LE needs to crack down and take weapons away from these people (and destroy them) when they break the law. It would prevent a lot of deaths.

JMO

Some reports say he lived in a metal shack-lean to with no water or electricity.
Wonder how long he'd been on the trucking job.

There are photos of the FBI searching a building that must be his home. It looks like an old "Butler building" not much more than a utility shed.

West Texas gunman killed seven and wounded 22, including toddler

ETA: In that rickety shack, he probably had a problem with critters getting in. He looks like a guy who was struggling to get by in life, not able to get along with people or keep a job.

69473505_1211865805664624_9059020758176497664_n.jpg

Chick-fil-A Odessa made 500 sandwiches to feed law enforcement in wake of West Texas shooting

Cranes hoist flags of hope over I-20 where shooting began

'All We Can Do Is Keep Going,' Resident Says At Vigil For Texas Shooting Victims

Photos: Texas shooting in Odessa, Midland leaves 7 dead, 22 injured

There are photos of the FBI searching a building that must be his home. It looks like an old "Butler building" not much more than a utility shed.

West Texas gunman killed seven and wounded 22, including toddler

ETA: In that rickety shack, he probably had a problem with critters getting in. He looks like a guy who was struggling to get by in life, not able to get along with people or keep a job.
I agree. This guy was teetering the edge of survival, and losing his job likely sent him toppling. That's what it looks like at this point, at any rate. Doesn't seem like he had an "agenda" other than he lashed out with his gun at...anyone.

jmo

As of September 1, which was the 244th day of the year, there have been 283 mass shootings in the U.S., according to data from the nonprofit Gun Violence Archive (GVA), which tracks every mass shooting in the country. The GVA defines a mass shooting as any incident in which at least four people were shot, excluding the shooter.
There have been more mass shootings than days this year

And, why is it mostly boys and men who do these terrible things?

Testosterone. Also young men are more likely to commit violence because their testosterone levels are generally higher.

Testosterone and Aggressive Behavior in Man
"Neuroimaging techniques in adult males have shown that testosterone activates the amygdala enhancing its emotional activity and its resistance to prefrontal restraining control. This effect is opposed by the action of cortisol which facilitates prefrontal area cognitive control on impulsive tendencies aroused in the subcortical structures. The degree of impulsivity is regulated by serotonin inhibiting receptors, and with the intervention of this neurotransmitter the major agents of the neuroendocrine influence on the brain process of aggression forms a triad. Testosterone activates the subcortical areas of the brain to produce aggression, while cortisol and serotonin act antagonistically with testosterone to reduce its effects."

Testosterone. Also young men are more likely to commit violence because their testosterone levels are generally higher.

Testosterone and Aggressive Behavior in Man
"Neuroimaging techniques in adult males have shown that testosterone activates the amygdala enhancing its emotional activity and its resistance to prefrontal restraining control. This effect is opposed by the action of cortisol which facilitates prefrontal area cognitive control on impulsive tendencies aroused in the subcortical structures. The degree of impulsivity is regulated by serotonin inhibiting receptors, and with the intervention of this neurotransmitter the major agents of the neuroendocrine influence on the brain process of aggression forms a triad. Testosterone activates the subcortical areas of the brain to produce aggression, while cortisol and serotonin act antagonistically with testosterone to reduce its effects."
I would venture to say that testosterone is not the "problem" but lack of doing something constructive with testosterone. There are healthy and rewarding ways to use testosterone, and it provides drive and confidence. I would hate to see us vilify testosterone in general as it's not "bad."

I'm not an expert by any means, but have a lifetime of living with men. :) I've seen the the men in my life thrive when they can use their physicality and drive, whether it is sports, academics, business, military, fitness, leadership, protecting, taking on challenges, career, hobbies, etc.

Fwiw.

jmo

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members