TX - Gunman in Hijacked Mail Truck, multiple victims, Midland/Odessa, 31 August 2019

I would venture to say that testosterone is not the "problem" but lack of doing something constructive with testosterone. There are healthy and rewarding ways to use testosterone, and it provides drive and confidence. I would hate to see us vilify testosterone in general as it's not "bad."

I'm not an expert by any means, but have a lifetime of living with men. :) I've seen the the men in my life thrive when they can use their physicality and drive, whether it is sports, academics, business, military, fitness, leadership, protecting, taking on challenges, career, hobbies, etc.

Fwiw.

jmo
I’m not an expert either. Testosterone comes in handy in fatherhood especially in the raising of our two sons. My husband has done well by them and both our daughters too. I am - well, almost....an expert in how to live with men without losing my mind. Men are extra complicated. In my life anyway. Thank goodness for them. They’ve taught me how to learn that patience is an essential virtue.

Seems to me that the neighbor that reported
him had an address and it wouldn't take too much investigating to find out where he lived.
LE dropped the ball, IMO.
He had no electricity or running water. No gps either. But surely they could find the next door neighbor. That's what sounds weird to me. If it was me, I'd go find the cops and lead them to him.

There are photos of the FBI searching a building that must be his home. It looks like an old "Butler building" not much more than a utility shed.

West Texas gunman killed seven and wounded 22, including toddler

ETA: In that rickety shack, he probably had a problem with critters getting in. He looks like a guy who was struggling to get by in life, not able to get along with people or keep a job.

Seems to me he was a loser-- a ner do well- probably built up alot of rage and anger, blaming others for his problems----so he gets fired, a cop stops him, he has his assault weapon that he apparently takes with him, and bam, all that rage finally burst out and he did the horrible deed---- cops looking for a motive--- i think LE spends too much time on this issue: unless it is a terrorist killing, to me, the reason mass murders do what they do is that they are evil and full of hatred: they want to kill as many innocent people as possible. and that is exactly what they do. Looking for motive is a waste of time.

If you look hard enough you can always find something that pissed off the killer: could be his wife left him, he got fired, someone looked at him the wrong way: but those situations aren't really motives. what you have is a person who is primed to kill and is so full of rage he wants to take out as many people as possible.

He had no electricity or running water. No gps either. But surely they could find the next door neighbor. That's what sounds weird to me. If it was me, I'd go find the cops and lead them to him.
Yeah, I think we're missing some of that story. LE can't find the address so they just shrug it off? I don't think so.

Likely doesn't matter now anyway. I don't think that one visit by LE would've set his life on a different track.

jmo

Seems to me he was a loser-- a ner do well- probably built up alot of rage and anger, blaming others for his problems----so he gets fired, a cop stops him, he has his assault weapon that he apparently takes with him, and bam, all that rage finally burst out and he did the horrible deed---- cops looking for a motive--- i think LE spends too much time on this issue: unless it is a terrorist killing, to me, the reason mass murders do what they do is that they are evil and full of hatred: they want to kill as many innocent people as possible. and that is exactly what they do. Looking for motive is a waste of time.

If you look hard enough you can always find something that pissed off the killer: could be his wife left him, he got fired, someone looked at him the wrong way: but those situations aren't really motives. what you have is a person who is primed to kill and is so full of rage he wants to take out as many people as possible.
I'm super interested in motive. That's my main interest on WS, actually. I find it very compelling and potentially useful in prevention. The more we learn, the better, imo.

jmo

I’m not an expert either. Testosterone comes in handy in fatherhood especially in the raising of our two sons. My husband has done well by them and both our daughters too. I am - well, almost....an expert in how to live with men without losing my mind. Men are extra complicated. In my life anyway. Thank goodness for them. They’ve taught me how to learn that patience is an essential virtue.
Yeah, testosterone may have been proven to increase aggression, but it is associated more with competition rather than the tendency to commit murder.

If there was a direct connection, then every man would be a potential risk!

There are many more men who are not violent than who are, and testosterone does have it's advantages, if you know what I mean.

There are many factors that have proven to be common among these types of killers, such as mental health disorders, family background, grievances, etc.

So I really don't think testosterone alone is a factor. Imo

SA failed some "background check" and was fired from his job at a trucking company, according to available information. His 2001 criminal record or 2014 encounter with LE may have been the cause.

A young trucker named VZ was arrested in Texas for DUI. VZ moved to Massachusetts and joined another trucking company. He caused the deaths of 7 bikers of Jarhead club in rural NH, which prompted a review of the Texas arrest. YouTube has the video.

The reason motive is important is that it contributes to research and helps to develop a profile.
There has been ongoing research for more than thirty years but they still have not found a profile that is common to all.
But they have found many common factors and you never know what may help LE prevent such crimes in the future. Imo

SA failed some "background check" and was fired from his job at a trucking company, according to available information. His 2001 criminal record or 2014 encounter with LE may have been the cause.

A young trucker named VZ was arrested in Texas for DUI. VZ moved to Massachusetts and joined another trucking company. He caused the deaths of 7 bikers of Jarhead club in rural NH, which prompted a review of the Texas arrest. YouTube has the video.
Was it a criminal background check and was it related to his job?
It seems strange that a misdemeanor from 18 years ago would cause one to fail a background check.
What was the incident in 2014?

Yeah, testosterone may have been proven to increase aggression, but it is associated more with competition rather than the tendency to commit murder.
There are many factors that have proven to be common among these types of killers, such as mental health disorders, family background, grievances, etc.

Some mass murderers, specially incel types, may have lower than normal testosterone levels, making them unable to think clearly or act confidently.

This needs proper research.

I would venture to say that testosterone is not the "problem" but lack of doing something constructive with testosterone. There are healthy and rewarding ways to use testosterone, and it provides drive and confidence. I would hate to see us vilify testosterone in general as it's not "bad."

I'm not an expert by any means, but have a lifetime of living with men. :) I've seen the the men in my life thrive when they can use their physicality and drive, whether it is sports, academics, business, military, fitness, leadership, protecting, taking on challenges, career, hobbies, etc.

Fwiw.

jmo

I believe that's pretty much what the article is saying, biochemically speaking.

If there was a direct connection, then every man would be a potential risk!

There are many more men who are not violent than who are, and testosterone does have it's advantages, if you know what I mean.

This person asked why it's almost always men who commit these crimes as opposed to women. I was just responding to that. At no point did I say every man is violent.

Was it a criminal background check and was it related to his job?
It seems strange that a misdemeanor from 18 years ago would cause one to fail a background check.
What was the incident in 2014?
The 2014 encounter wasn't explained during the press conference.

My hunch is that the failed background check was going to impact his commercial driver license. NH tragedy involving VZ prompted truck driver background checks in many states.

I believe Heavy.com mentioned his parents' divorce when he was pre-teen. So how was his upbringing? How much influence did one or both parents have on him? Was he angry that he no longer had a father available or only an
absentee father?
Seems to me many mass shooters are angry
boys who grow into angry men with guns.
Why are these boys/men so angry?

I guess it depends on the men each woman has been around during their lifetime.

I have found both male friends, and family members...including my hubby are much easier to be around, and aren't nearly as complex nor moody as females can be.

We raised 4 beautiful daughters, and one very handsome son.

It wasn't difficult raising either of them, but our girls did tend to make little insignificant issues into overly dramatic big ones at times. Our son was the easiest to raise of all 5.

I find men more open, and honest, and not nearly as catty as some females can be. The ones I know don't nag nearly as much either, especially about petty nitpicky things that aren't worth nitpicking about in the first place 99 percent of the time.

Testosterone is absolutely essential to a man's overall health, and well being... both physically, emotionally, and mentally.

Some seem to think it's only about their sexual drive when it's far far more important than that. It can put a very big taxing stress on their heart as well.

If a male suffers from low testosterone levels his overall health suffers greatly, and can lead to many other health issues if it is allowed to remain lower than it should be.

It will leave them without any energy, and they may feel extremely tired all of the time. It can affect their overall thinking process because as we all know when extremely tired we aren't nearly at our best.

I read recently in a medical article that the testosterone level is rising in females.

It made me wonder if that could be one of the causes we are seeing so many females committing unbelievable violent crimes now even teenage girls?

Jmho

Last edited:
I believe Heavy.com mentioned his parents' divorce when he was pre-teen. So how was his upbringing? How much influence did one or both parents have on him? Was he angry that he no longer had a father available or only an
absentee father?
Seems to me many mass shooters are angry
boys who grow into angry men with guns.
Why are these boys/men so angry?
Good question.^^^

Because many grow up in broken or even abusive and unstable homes and do not hurt a fly.

It all comes down to choices.

What a pity this MF wasn't committed after threatening his neighbor and killing animals from the roof of his house.
I don't mean legal hunting as in wild game-- I'm guessing he may have been taking pot shots at various neighbor's pets.
Not to mention firing guns close to residential areas.
Idiot.
Can't say that I'm sorry he is dead.
He had no right to take out his perceived "injustices" on innocent people.

All of my sympathies are with the families and friends of the precious souls whose lives were brutally ended by this creep.
The lady who lost her twin... they must have had so many shared memories. :(
A teenage girl and others who were just living their life.
And the injured whose lives may never be the same.

At least my best friend whose sibling passed from cancer was able to spend time with her and say a final goodbye.

Which shooter out of the last, let’s say ten, mass shootings was NOT a loner? Serious question.

Good point. We never hear "the shooter was popular at the gun range, often teaching safety course to newcomers and organizing hunting trips during the season. He loved using his grandfather old rifle from the forties. He once turned in a Nazi automatic machine gun (inherited from a great-uncled) to the authorities as an example to others that such guns were war weapons and dangerous.

"On the way to the 2A Picnic something happened and he starting firing an AR-15 on arrival. Before we knew it 25 people were dead, 38 injured."

Last edited:
This person asked why it's almost always men who commit these crimes as opposed to women. I was just responding to that. At no point did I say every man is violent.
I thought I had replied to someone else's post about the association between testosterone and violence.

There have been many studies that suggest testosterone or increased testosterone can lead to violence. In fact in many prison studies this was proven to be true.

So it is the theory that testosterone alone leads to violence that I was referring to. That's why I said if it were true than every man would be at risk.

I believe there are other factors involved. That's all.

At no point did I suggest anyone said that every man is violent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back