Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've thought about this since I saw that all cruise ships were being sent away from the Bahamas. Why couldn't the cruise ship have taken the people onto the ships who could not afford to fly out to evacuate and take them to other ports to stay during the hurricane? There are so many public areas that the evacuees could have stayed on those ships. I think cruise ships should be used to help evacuate people from islands. The Bahamas have made cruise lines millions and millions of dollars, I think the cruise ships should have volunteered to transport evacuees to Miami.
They do but they also have headcount to staff ratios that they must adhere to. They will likely send in a floating hospital ship and keep it offshore. They will likely send in empty cruise ships to pull survivors off.

I can tell you our experience through a devastating hurricane is heartbreaking. My daughter (age 25 at the time and a grad student at UVI) rode out Hurricane Irma in St. Thomas (2017). They closed the airport 3 days in advance and no one could get out. It was so devastating that when a ship brought the troops 2 days afterward, they literally walked up on Brewers Beach as if they were storming the island. She just stood in awe sobbing, barely choking out thank you to every marine who walked by her. She had been surviving with no power or water, no police force, robberies, floating bodies, dead friends, etc. She had had very little food because of food allergies. The military rations they handed out, she couldn't eat. It just so happened that the box I shipped her with snacks, had arrived the day before Irma hit. Her story of survival and getting off that island is nothing short of miraculous. I'm sending up some earnest prayers for these Bahamian people. I am also watching how their government responds because God know the US could certainly learn a thing or two!!!

Hurricane Dorian Update Statement

600 PM EDT...2200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.9N 78.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...55 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

---------------------------

Still stationary

0B59334E-661B-47E9-BE24-8B71CE3333FA.jpeg 67A716FC-520A-4144-B106-1E9BF5D6BB84.jpeg 9951149B-7529-467F-8209-0DA312481D7D.jpeg 91DF4982-F1DD-453E-B676-07C983CE08D1.jpeg 5C35E38B-0125-432F-9722-E700DBDAE1A2.jpeg

A woman in the Bahamas has sheltered nearly 100 stray and abandoned dogs inside her home to protect them from Hurricane Dorian.

Chella Philips, manager of The Voiceless Dogs of Nassau, Bahamas, has given refuge to 97 dogs inside her home on Nassau, New Providence.

In a viral Facebook post, Philips shared several photos and updates on the dogs' condition as Hurricane Dorian slammed into the island.

'97 dogs are inside my house and 79 of them are inside my master bedroom. It has been insane since last night, poop and piss non stop but at least they are respecting my bed and nobody has dared to jump in,' she wrote.

PICTURED: Bahamas resident brings 97 dogs into her home to give shelter during Hurricane Dorian | Daily Mail Online

Thank goodness for this lovely, kind Lady. This story made me smile. Everyone affected continues to be in my thoughts and prayers.

I don’t recall any hurricane in history ever doing that. Anyone?
Irma was painfully slow & ever changing tracks, but this standing still for TWO DAYS- don’t know what to make of it!

I will say though- if it ain’t movin’- I ain’t movin! Made reservations, but won’t exit until it’s clearly the safe thing to do. 400 miles away endlessly churning will not inspire me to pack the car!
Hurricane Diana a CAT 4 was forecast to make landfall near the Outer Banks but stalled for three days very near Southport, NC then looped out to sea and came back as a CAT 1 and made landfall in Southport. I lived in Southport at the time and the waiting was excruciating.

-
They do but they also have headcount to staff ratios that they must adhere to. They will likely send in a floating hospital ship and keep it offshore. They will likely send in empty cruise ships to pull survivors off.

I can tell you our experience through a devastating hurricane is heartbreaking. My daughter (age 25 at the time and a grad student at UVI) rode out Hurricane Irma in St. Thomas (2017). They closed the airport 3 days in advance and no one could get out. It was so devastating that when a ship brought the troops 2 days afterward, they literally walked up on Brewers Beach as if they were storming the island. She just stood in awe sobbing, barely choking out thank you to every marine who walked by her. She had been surviving with no power or water, no police force, robberies, floating bodies, dead friends, etc. She had had very little food because of food allergies. The military rations they handed out, she couldn't eat. It just so happened that the box I shipped her with snacks, had arrived the day before Irma hit. Her story of survival and getting off that island is nothing short of miraculous. I'm sending up some earnest prayers for these Bahamian people. I am also watching how their government responds because God know the US could certainly learn a thing or two!!!
You must have been terrified- glad your daughter is ok!

Hurricane Diana a CAT 4 was forecast to make landfall near the Outer Banks but stalled for three days very near Southport, NC then looped out to sea and came back as a CAT 1 and made landfall in Southport. I lived in Southport at the time and the waiting was excruciating.
I’m not superstitious, but no more lady hurricane names that start with “D”!

Hurricane Dorian Update Statement

INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.9N 78.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...55 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...941 MB...27.79 INCHES

-----------------------------

Still stationary

Thousands in shelter in one place? This sounds like the dome during Katrina.

For some reason I can't get the link to post, but there is a video of the US coast guard helicopter, landing in Abaco.

Happening now! Usa Coast Guard Helicopter arriving in Abaco,Bahamas to transport Critical injured ppl to the

1f1fa-1f1f8.svg
as Abaco Clinic is overwhelming crowded with ppl who need assistance and also it’s being used as a shelter to house thousands #HurricaneDorain

[hey, just figured out, if you click on the blue F, at the top of my point, it goes too the link, for some odd reason.]

Snipped for length: In a State of Emergency and people's lives in danger, there shouldn't be any headcount to staff ratios requirements, it's an emergency FGS. People have died there who could have been saved. I can't imagine just sailing away and leaving people behind who will be fighting to stay alive. No excuse IMO and I'm just jumping off your post and not directing my feelings toward you.

Snipped for length: In a State of Emergency and people's lives in danger, there shouldn't be any headcount to staff ratios requirements, it's an emergency FGS. People have died there who could have been saved. I can't imagine just sailing away and leaving people behind who will be fighting to stay alive. No excuse IMO and I'm just jumping off your post and not directing my feelings toward you.
I completely agree. When my daughter was evacuated from St. Thomas, she and 100s of other people were shoulder to shoulder sitting on the front deck of a Coast Guard boat. Someone snapped a picture and texted it to me. They went to San Juan, put them on a huge Delta flight, took them to Miami. To this day we have no idea who paid for that plane - but it wasn't the passengers. They were told they'd be taken to Miami and after that they were on their own. We were able to get her to Tampa within hours after landing in Miami.

Camille was another catastrophic hurricane.
OBE.....we went to the Coast as newly graduated nurses.....wanted to help the medical team....but we couldn't find the streets in order to know if we were in the right place or had we gone too far? There was nothing familiar.
There were no houses.....just slabs. Ended up doing first aid and giving tetanus shots in Gulfport, I believe.
My first hurricane memory is the "Hurricane of 1947". It hit New Orleans and we were just kids. Dad had us all in the hallway. The doors were shaking and I held on to one of the door handles. Hurricane memories last for a long time...lol.

You are absolutely right- in emergency there are always regulations that should be ditched. Maybe some cruise ships offered to take islanders who didn’t want to evacuate though? Time & time again people weigh the odds & choose to ride out the storm only to regret it later. It’s hard to make the choice to leave your home, your history, your memories- especially when no storm of this magnitude has ever hit Bahamas. Some may have just declined offers thinking it’d be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr