ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...220 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...942 MB...27.82 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

None.

Unbeknownst to me, the Bahamas are a very wealthy nation.
Right behind the USA and England.
Though the majority of their income is from tourism.
They are their own country, which they obtained from the British in 1973.
Thought this was interesting.
Praying that her people are safe and able to be properly cared for.

OBE.....we went to the Coast as newly graduated nurses.....wanted to help the medical team....but we couldn't find the streets in order to know if we were in the right place or had we gone too far? There was nothing familiar.
There were no houses.....just slabs. Ended up doing first aid and giving tetanus shots in Gulfport, I believe.
My first hurricane memory is the "Hurricane of 1947". It hit New Orleans and we were just kids. Dad had us all in the hallway. The doors were shaking and I held on to one of the door handles. Hurricane memories last for a long time...lol.

That bring something to mind that I've never seen written down before. Before a disaster, have a tetanus shot. But I guess it takes weeks for you to get immunity for it to work or does it? The only reason this came to mind was because I had my tetanus booster 2 weeks ago.

You are absolutely right- in emergency there are always regulations that should be ditched. Maybe some cruise ships offered to take islanders who didn’t want to evacuate though? Time & time again people weigh the odds & choose to ride out the storm only to regret it later. It’s hard to make the choice to leave your home, your history, your memories- especially when no storm of this magnitude has ever hit Bahamas. Some may have just declined offers thinking it’d be ok.
Oh I'm sure there are those who would not leave even if they had a way to do so. It's so tragic but I do believe that cruise ships should be used to facilitate evacuation.

Hurricane Diana a CAT 4 was forecast to make landfall near the Outer Banks but stalled for three days very near Southport, NC then looped out to sea and came back as a CAT 1 and made landfall in Southport. I lived in Southport at the time and the waiting was excruciating.

Had/have relatives in Southport and remember Diana very clearly!!

Families in Florida with relatives in the Bahamas were desperate for information and were having trouble confirming disturbing reports. They took to social media to gather and disseminate what information they could.

“My uncle Rex McIntosh is still missing. Nobody has heard from him,” said Davis, who own Ainkas Jewels and was born in the Bahamas. “The roof blew off his apartment. The roof blew off of most places, including the school.”

The school losing the roof is a serious concern, she said, because it is the highest point on the island. The family was monitoring a Whatsapp internet messaging service.

People trapped in collapsed homes

Green Turtle Cay is an island that is three miles long and a half mile wide. It is accessible only by ferry boat from Great Abaco.

Green Turtle Club Resort and Marina confirmed what Davis already knew through social media: “Roads impassable. Total devastation. People are trapped in collapsed homes. The GTC primary school shelter failed.”

The International Red Cross reported Monday as many as 13,000 homes damaged or destroyed in the archipelago.

Davis posted a video from a relative on her Instagram account of flooding in Abaco island showing storm surge entering homes around the ferry docks.

The person taking the video says: “The water is just rushing in, just rushing in on main street. You are going to need a boat to get around.”

Among the dead was Lachino Mcintosh, 7, who drowned while his family tried to relocate from their home in Abaco, The Bahama Press reported. His sister is also missing, according to a tweet by the Bahamas Press.

A digital wall of missing people was published by the publication as families became frantic about the location of their love ones. Communities in Abaco are under water and many residents were missing and feared dead.
DORIAN: Frantic for news from Bahamas, relatives turn to social media in desperation

They do but they also have headcount to staff ratios that they must adhere to. They will likely send in a floating hospital ship and keep it offshore. They will likely send in empty cruise ships to pull survivors off.

I can tell you our experience through a devastating hurricane is heartbreaking. My daughter (age 25 at the time and a grad student at UVI) rode out Hurricane Irma in St. Thomas (2017). They closed the airport 3 days in advance and no one could get out. It was so devastating that when a ship brought the troops 2 days afterward, they literally walked up on Brewers Beach as if they were storming the island. She just stood in awe sobbing, barely choking out thank you to every marine who walked by her. She had been surviving with no power or water, no police force, robberies, floating bodies, dead friends, etc. She had had very little food because of food allergies. The military rations they handed out, she couldn't eat. It just so happened that the box I shipped her with snacks, had arrived the day before Irma hit. Her story of survival and getting off that island is nothing short of miraculous. I'm sending up some earnest prayers for these Bahamian people. I am also watching how their government responds because God know the US could certainly learn a thing or two!!!

Wow, what a story Payroll Nerd! Thank you for sharing. Thank you also for the meaning behind your name. It fits you!

Thank you to gerijrichards for the 97 dogs rescued story. What a wonderful woman. These kind of stories help so much among the horrific devastation of property and lives news that is so hard to read and see.

Thank you to everyone of you WS who care.

Hurricane Dorian Update Statement

SUMMARY OF 900 PM EDT...0100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.8N 78.4W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...230 KM/H

SUMMARY OF 900 PM EDT...0100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.8N 78.4W
ABOUT 25 MI...40 KM NE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...140 MPH...230 KM/H
Still stationary?! Oh come on! Have Mercy already and move on!

Dorian has a long reach:

"A 61-year-old Virginia man died Sunday in waters off Cape Hatteras National Seashore that experts say are being churned by Hurricane Dorian’s westward track."

Read more here:

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/weather-news/article234631167.html?
I cannot believe the people posting pictures on social media, hanging onto a railing while the waves slam into them. This isn’t a photo op. It’s real. It’s deadly. A rogue wave will take everyone in its path. It’s not the wind, it’s the water. #DontPlayBraveWithAWave

That bring something to mind that I've never seen written down before. Before a disaster, have a tetanus shot. But I guess it takes weeks for you to get immunity for it to work or does it? The only reason this came to mind was because I had my tetanus booster 2 weeks ago.

Hi dixiegirl1035.....am long retired but there is a great deal of information if you Google "tetanus shot". Lato

Bahamas is going to continue being blasted through tomorrow morning. I feel awful.

I heard from my West Palm Beach daughter around 4 Florida time and she said bands have been coming through off and on but not even as bad as a typical thunderstorm. They're getting a touch of cabin fever as everything is closed, been playing board games.

The Miami daughter said some places are open. My grandson had a couple of friends over and they went to a local ice cream parlor then back home to play in the pool.

It'll be interesting to see what changes in the next 24 hours.

Stay safe everyone!

Checking in and have been following on weather channel. It's devastating. Please be safe all who are in it's path. I pray for all affected.
ETA- too many posts to thank as I got caught up here. Thanks to all.

Last edited:
Has anyone else been listening to this station broadcasting from the Bahamas? People are calling in reporting people in need of assistance, or that they have tried to contact and haven't been able to reach. Everyone is praising the station for doing what they're doing, and trying to maintain a positive outlook in the face of such disaster.

They are saying 5 people are dead, but I think it's going to end up being in the 100's if not 1,000's.

Listen to 1540 AM on TuneIn

Turns out they're a Gospel station. So now I understand why they keep talking about faith and God.

Last edited:
11 pm advisory. No substantial changes. I think we'll see movement by late morning or afternoon tomorrow. Note that the winds have slowed down and the barometric pressure has risen. Don't be fooled as it's still over land and the steering currents are weak.
UMMARY OF 1100 PM EDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.9N 78.5W
ABOUT 30 MI...55 KM NNE OF FREEPORT GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND
ABOUT 100 MI...160 KM E OF WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...130 MPH...215 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.94 INCHES

Watching the Weather Channel now, and they show bands of rain and lightning still hitting Abaco. Because the whole thing stalled, the back of the hurricane is still pounding that area with hurricane force winds.
Man, I didn't want to hear that. I haven't seen any actual reporting or tweets from Abaco in over a day so very worried about the people there and how they are surviving.

jmo

Man, I didn't want to hear that. I haven't seen any actual reporting or tweets from Abaco in over a day so very worried about the people there and how they are surviving.
jmo
Yeah, to expand upon that. I believe it was this morning here in California that I was watching either The Weather Channel or CNN, I think the former, and they mentioned that they had a reporter in Abaco, but it was not safe for them to broadcast yet. That was at least 12 hours ago, and I'm guessing their conditions have not improved since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong